Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

was looking at Apple and that's true with the current portfolio of their products don't think they can go further....unless they announce anything new HW or SW (read EV play)...

They'd a rough ride with the fake Hyundai/Kia speculation a few weeks back. I honestly can't see them dipping into the sector wholesale with Rivian, Lucid, Polestar, VW and all the others gearing up this year.

They've been on AR for a while, and with the likes of Tencent/Epic gearing toward the metaverse concept and the sheer money involved, I'd say they'll stick with it.

They may have some In-car entertainment branding play with say... BMW or someone again, but the prevalence of Bluetooth and in-built smartdashes and ICE systems mean a lot of this stuff is just OEM or in-house now and vendor neutral. Gone are the days you'd see a silly apple 'docking port' in a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

pioneerpro wrote: »
    PLTR, TSLA, NVDA, MSFT all on firesale this week for those who stick to the 'safe' stuff.

That's the first time I've heard tsla described as safe. They're the poster child for speculative growth stock!

That's the first time I've heard tsla described as safe. They're the poster child for speculative growth stock!

I'd suggest reading up on their recent advancements in battery tech - closing the 'proprietary' gap between the old 18650 Li-On technology they were based on and the current market trends toward prismatic pouch - as well as their efforts to divest themselves of cobalt and pivot from that to reduce B.O.M. in their Chinese manufacturing.

Another major data point is their accommodations for major industrial vehicles and freight in recent times. Finally, I'd look at them in relation to the powerwall industry and other parallel tiers.

image.png

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/09/heres-what-tesla-will-put-in-its-new-batteries/

They're 'safe' insofar as their first mover advantage and tech will remain relatively unscathed for quite some time yet. They pivot when needed, but are making the absolutely correct movies in the midst of the US CHIP act and their vertical integration and supply chains compared to just about every other EV manufacturer. And that's without me even mentioning Elon in relation to Bitcoin lol

And Musk keeps surprising me, literally just caught this lol

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0223/1198738-spacex-and-co-kerry/

• Registered Users Posts: 45,487 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

CCIV to open almost 40% down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

6 wrote: »

Is it not a good time to buy?

6 wrote: »

I absolutely hate LUCID and think they're a borderline scam, but this is genuinely to do with a lot of meme-stock people getting into an asset class they barely understood combined with awful timing, a mis-interpreted valuation, and the news of production delays.

This is one of the very few SPACs where the retail investors get more than the PIPE - 16% vs 10% - for that alone, and the absolute hype factor and TSLA 2.0 style FOMO, this will probably rise above 50$ again in the next 90 days or so. Certainly wait till post-merger before selling the bottom out of it in panic if you're left bagholding.

Market will be choppy and red for the rest of the week, that said. A good education for the paperhanded and the YOLOs who shouldn't be there in the first place - and hopefully a cheap one.

And Musk keeps surprising me, literally just caught this lol

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0223/1198738-spacex-and-co-kerry/

I'm not predicting whether tsla will be profitable at any point or not. I'm pointing out that their forward pe is 132 as of last night's closing. Msft's is 29. You can continue that comparison for most if not all metrics. Without subsidies tsla doesn't make any money, currently.

Again I'm not predicting whether they're a good buy or not, but putting them in the same basket as msft is crazy.

Not that price should be the only measure, but the difference in price volatility can't be ignored when you talk about 'safe'.

And yes, fundamentals have nothing to do with price these days...are you willing to bet that will last forever?

Edit: I'm not bashing all growth stocks, or even meme stocks - I've just picked up some KOPN at 7.88 in the % of my portfolio that I allocate for riskier stuff. I'm just mindful that there are a lot of people reading this forum who have begun their investing journey quite recently (I'm only a few years at it myself) and there's no way in hell that a professional adviser would get away with putting TSLA and MSFT in the same risk basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

DutchYurt wrote: »
    I feel you pal, between my degiro and crypto exchange trades I've lost 30% of my overall gains in the last 24 hours. The $1B moved off coinbase hasn't helped anything.. but then again don't win/loss until you sell right! Here's hoping today is somewhat better

ooooof.... add another 20% today... jesus christ. I'm gonna go for a run. Price watching today won't help. nor will panic selling. good luck all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Well I'm selling nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

Crspr stocks getting hammered today
    I've had 3 buy orders filled already

Latest Transactions (4)
    15:42 B 3 Skyworks Solutions $ 177.10
    15:39 B 10 Editas Medicine $ 46.05
    15:37 B 5 CRISPR Therapeutics $ 125.18
    15:35 B 50 Applied Genetic Technologies $ 5.13

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭circadian

Liquidated everything that was for shorter swings, long term stocks are still holding for me. I'll come back once the volatility settles down a bit, the last week hasn't been pleasant and I understand, a blip.

I might take this dip to top up some of my longer term stuff too. AMD for less than $80 is an interesting buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

Hope yous had stop losses in place!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Double digit red day across the board, some huge bargains out there for anyone shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Carnage!

Shoppy-Shoppy!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭MurDawg

What is the big influence here? Topping up my tech stocks today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Lot of red today. Two stocks on the books are keeping the balance sheet looking ok but other than that it's red red red. I'm confident most will bounce back over time but I'm considering cutting my loses with Etzy.

Another buy

15:53 B 50 FAR PEAK ACQUISITION CORP-A $ 10.19

This is more or less at spac value, didn't think I get them that low

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Looking at RIDE, MARA, PLUG as possible bargains.

• Advertisement

Why?

No wonder people lose money in stocks. Panic selling. Buying high and selling low.

If you're buying into a stock research and hold long. A big drop is the best time to buy.

I'm not predicting whether tsla will be profitable...

Well you're making a bear position for them as 'safe', i'm giving some DD for the bull position. They're a lot less 'speculative' than most analysts seem to suggest. I honestly think there's signficant pricing-in for a company at the forefront of 3 of the 5 biggest tech sectors for the the 2020s. Profitability is just a red herring when you're rapidly scaling and acquiring.
    Again I'm not predicting whether they're a good buy or not, but putting them in the same basket as msft is crazy.

It's a bad thesis to defend this week, but they're getting the **** shorted out of them for various reasons to do with other market positions and an overall deleveraging in tech.
    Not that price should be the only measure, but the difference in price volatility can't be ignored when you talk about 'safe'.

A fairly strong statement. Will we zoom out a little?

image.png

Also we might as well bring up the elephant in the room while we're at it

image.png

And yes, fundamentals have nothing to do with price these days...are you willing to bet that will last forever?

I invest on both sentiment and fundamentals; sector and company dependent. When the market looks like its changing, my position changes as best I'm able to protect my capital and best ensure profits. And you?

So tempted to buy more baba but I must stay disciplined, it's already above 10% of my portfolio

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Dumb question but how does that work with out of hours trading? If i'd a stop loss in place with Degiro and the prices plummet out of hours will it be triggered or can they only become market orders during trading hours?

Hedgefunds love nothing other than a good stop-loss raid or a short-ladder in the last year.

Borrowing 4%~ of LUCID shares to absolutely bottle people last Friday evening was the most prominent example. Hold long or stay out of hyped stuff.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Looking at RIDE, MARA, PLUG as possible bargains.

MARA/RIOT/ARGO probably have a bit of a dip left in them this week, but none are a bad play this year imo. GPU market is completely shot and mining is through the roof with price volatility.

PLUG I mentioned before. Always a good idea to look at the high-performing ETFs in that sector and raid their basket weighting for your own. This crowd in particular:
    https://www.ishares.com/us/products/239738/ishares-global-clean-energy-etf

Well you're making a bear position for them as 'safe'...And you?

Seriously, you've got to put some context on that safe statement. Safe in what timeline and with what risks?

A picture of 2 charts...really?

I'm not going to get into this in depth. I like the premise of tsla and I like Musk. I hope they succeed. If you think the price even today is good, more power to you. History may prove you right. I just think the hype around this is dangerous for people which are new to investing/gambling on stocks.

Careful with stop losses.

ETH dropped to 700 on some exchanges briefly last night. Some poor ****ers probably hit their stop losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Double digit red day across the board, some huge bargains out there for anyone shopping

What are you looking at?

I've added more Alibaba and Alteryx so far. Considering Crowdstrike or Skyworks Solutions as other additions but I haven't had a chance to look into them much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭jams100

robman60 wrote: »
    What are you looking at?

I've added more Alibaba and Alteryx so far. Considering Crowdstrike or Skyworks Solutions as other additions but I haven't had a chance to look into them much.

I prefer Fortinet over Crwd personally, both quite lofty valuations but I chose ftnt over crwd

Advertisement