Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Started a small position on Cloudflare at 72. I will add if there are further drops to 50-60 range and again if worst case correction down to 35-45. If it never dips down that far so be it. Stick to your own rules and don't be guided by emotions. Stocks purchase timings come and go, there will be others. I would get back into NNDM at 9/6/4.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

Seriously, you've got to put some context on that safe statement. Safe in what timeline and with what risks?

It's boards and I'm not a financial advisor.
    • Safe as in the 5th Biggest company in the large-cap, behind APPL, MSFT, AMZN and GOOG
    • Safe as in joined the S&P 500 in December following 5 consecutively profitable quarters
    • Safe as in the Biden Executive Order for the Green New Deal guarantees the success of the US Domestic EV Industry for the next 2-3 years minimum, creating 1 million new jobs in the domestic auto industry, and benefiting TSLA hugely in other green sectors they straddle
    • Safe as in they already pivoting to Broadband/Wireless infrastructure-agnostic plays for the developing world
    • Safe enough that the Speaker of the House indulged in a little TSLA insider trading last month

Elon Musk has just pushed past a retired Jeff Bezos as the richest man in the world, with a vertically integrated and diversified product portfolio spanning 3 mutually exclusive sectors, and a techstack in all 3 sitting significantly ahead of their analagous competitors - if and when they emerge.

The chaps down in Zurich Life Funds mightn't be weighting it heavy in their PRISMA stuff, but if people were looking towards that sort of investing they wouldn't be here.
    A picture of 2 charts...really?

If a PE statement proves a point, then a picture paints a thousand words. Comparing them to MSFT or APPL is nowhere near as outlandish as you seem to think, and the volatility measure has a huge amount to do with things like stock buyback alongside hype. But TA isn't something I indulge in for the sake of argument.
    I'm not going to get into this in depth. I like the premise of tsla and I like Musk. I hope they succeed. If you think the price even today is good, more power to you. History may prove you right. I just think the hype around this is dangerous for people which are new to investing/gambling on stocks.

No one got fired for buying IBM. But there's a paradigm shift happening in relation to both tech and retail investing - it would be detrimental to any diversified portfolio not to acknowledge this and re-weight 'risk' accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭positron

Timmaay wrote: »
    Well I'm selling nothing.

"Paper hands" here sold all 10 TSLA shares I had for around 640 trying to lock in couple of thousand euro profit I had built up over the year. And straight away it starts going up agani to 680 or so. I would have saved couple of hundred quid if I hadn't looked at DeGiro today! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

positron wrote: »
    "Paper hands" here sold all 10 TSLA shares I had for around 640 trying to lock in couple of thousand euro profit I had built up over the year. And straight away it starts going up agani to 680 or so. I would have saved couple of hundred quid if I hadn't looked at DeGiro today! :rolleyes:

A jezz lad what are you at.
    Just don't go buying back in when it's $700

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭positron

Yep that "Buy High Sell Low" technique. I sold low, now trying my best not to buy high! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭circadian

Back in the game, threw in on CCIV once that trend was going up. 5 shares at $35, cagey trade but if it shoots up I'll take a small profit to ease the ****show this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭endainoz

Decent recovery starting across the board for my picks after a fairly sizable dip. Doubled position on shopify and hopefully it'll keep rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

pioneerpro wrote: »
    No one got fired for buying IBM. But there's a paradigm shift happening in relation to both tech and retail investing - it would be detrimental to any diversified portfolio not to acknowledge this and re-weight 'risk' accordingly.

I agree with that, though I believe it to be a trend which will reverse/cycle. I still don't believe your positioning of those two together is justified, but I'll stop ****ting on the thread.

I shall return to the graveyard of trying to buy profitable companies at fair prices.

P.S. I'd buy a certain amount of SpaceX at any price, who I think are the company you refer to re Starlink/broadband connectivity, but not because I'd expect a return any time soon, or necessarily ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

Yep that "Buy High Sell Low" technique. I sold low, now trying my best not to buy high! :D
    The sellers remorse is the worst thing to have!!
    Just be happy you made profits, loads of peeps sold Tsla sub $100 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Thanks I'll hold them for you now. :)

picked up RIDE, waiting for PLTR and AI to hit my buy price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

endainoz wrote: »
    Decent recovery starting across the board for my picks after a fairly sizable dip. Doubled position on shopify and hopefully it'll keep rising.

Same. Reds are less red. Getting close to being back in green for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

circadian wrote: »
    Back in the game, threw in on CCIV once that trend was going up. 5 shares at $35, cagey trade but if it shoots up I'll take a small profit to ease the ****show this morning.

Nice buy. I'm still holding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭circadian

cronos wrote: »
    Nice buy. I'm still holding.

Yeah, I think selling off what I had made sense, none of them have recovered. Saw CCIV recovering strongly so took the risk. Hoovered up some AMD at sub $80 to top up that long term reserve as well.

My nerves are wrecked but I might have just turned the day around. If I'm anywhere near green this evening I'll be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

robman60 wrote: »
    What are you looking at?

I've added more Alibaba and Alteryx so far. Considering Crowdstrike or Skyworks Solutions as other additions but I haven't had a chance to look into them much.
    That was just my own portfolio, got down to -12% at the worst today, back to -5%. Dig got bought, good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Hope yous had stop losses in place!

Today is exactly why I DON'T use stop losses.

SEA was down 9%, now up 1%
    Peloton was down 9% now down 1%
    Pinterest was down 10% now down 2%
    Lemonade was down 14% now down 4%
    Docusign was down 6%, now down 2%

You wouldn't want to have locked in those losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

My point re stop losses is further to my point re CCIV (which people on this thread were / are buying) , if you're buying stuff like that which is pure speculation as far as I can see, then I think a stop loss is your guy.

I won't say what trades I made with my stop loss on APPN given its yesterday's tip at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

Shedite27 wrote: »
    That was just my own portfolio, got down to -12% at the worst today, back to -5%. Dig got bought, good sign.

I was asking what you were looking to buy on dips.

I reduced my airline positions which I had been building since the first dip, mainly in May last year along with the IAG rights issue. Hoping to put some of it back into the more tech-oriented, long-term plays.

Big daddy Jerome Powell basically calmed the market there, as needed with all the paperhanding and FUD. Particularly with his reference to inflation (i.e. telling people to cop on, that a move towards 2% is basically needed at this point).

Made a couple of silly comments about Bitcoin which I hope won't stir silly amounts of FUD from the likely MSM Clownshow (Squawkbox/Kramer).

Incoming bull run with a serious Friday powerhour on NSY/NAS imo. Hope you all BTFD and didn't get caught with the stop-losses.

My point re stop losses is further to my point re CCIV (which people on this thread were / are buying) , if you're buying stuff like that which is pure speculation as far as I can see, then I think a stop loss is your guy.

Hyped SPACs like CCIV and meme stocks are literally the textbook example of why you shouldn't set a stop-loss. I keep referencing last Friday evening here; anyone looking at short borrowing from hedges that AM might as well have been Mystic Meg, it was that obvious a stop-loss raid was incoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

No circuit breaker AH and selling the news...Cutler having a fit on twitter lmfao. Could be another stop-loss raid, for the third trading day, not sure how that works with AH trading. Glad to see the back of them, they're a crap car company and are going to have a serious uphill battle with Rivian and others going ahead.

Why are Lucid a crap car company?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

My watchlist of 30 stocks all in the red except for one. AMC up over 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Thought I was seeing things when I saw 4 executed buys on Degiro. Didn't catch the bottom on all them but 3 out of the 4 are up now

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bish76

Was busy at work and missed dip this morning. Is there anything that seems undervalued atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Double digit red day across the board, some huge bargains out there for anyone shopping

Reading and learning at the moment and planning to start trading in early March so a complete newbie.

On your quote above, anything in particular youd advice reading up on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

All the indices on a slope now with broader dip.

Why are Lucid a crap car company?

A number of concerns regarding their tech-stack, their overhyped promotional materials, their almost complete lack of supply chain and logistics, and the fact they've yet to produce and sell a car. In fact, based on the above, its probably unfair to call them a car company at all. Their business is in turning saudi bridging loans into hype.

Being pre-revenue though, that won't affect their valuation and appreciation for a good chunk of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I thought I was being responsible buying Amazon instead of crypto last summer :mad:. What a deadweight it has been with no upward motion in sight. But I know as soon as I reduce my holding, upwards it will go. The weakening dollar killed me the most. Is there any advantage switching over to Xetra from a currency standpoint? Or maybe I should just move away from it altogether...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I thought I was being responsible buying Amazon instead of crypto last summer :mad:. What a deadweight it has been with no upward motion in sight. But I know as soon as I reduce my holding, upwards it will go. The weakening dollar killed me the most. Is there any advantage switching over to Xetra from a currency standpoint? Or maybe I should just move away from it altogether...

I'd stick with AMZN, will do well the next few months, when it hits 4K drop it and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭LC134

KilOit wrote: »
    Thought I was seeing things when I saw 4 executed buys on Degiro. Didn't catch the bottom on all them but 3 out of the 4 are up now

I learned today that when you have an entry point in your head and set a limit order leave it be and don’t keep creeping it up if the stock price keeps rising!

Some of my forgotten about orders at decent entries filled today to potentially mitigate some of the damage (although could be more good money after bad).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

A number of concerns regarding their tech-stack, their overhyped promotional materials, their almost complete lack of supply chain and logistics, and the fact they've yet to produce and sell a car. In fact, based on the above, its probably unfair to call them a car company at all. Their business is in turning saudi bridging loans into hype.

Being pre-revenue though, that won't affect their valuation and appreciation for a good chunk of this year.

What concerns regarding the tech stack?

The person who setup supply chain and logistics for Tesla running the company.

Its certainly early stage though. Biggest thing for them will be making a cheaper car. But that's a while down the road.

In the best case scenario of what could happen would be a partnership with apple, but that's a pipe dream based on Johnny Ives right now.

Advertisement