Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

pioneerpro wrote: »
    A number of concerns regarding their tech-stack, their overhyped promotional materials, their almost complete lack of supply chain and logistics, and the fact they've yet to produce and sell a car. In fact, based on the above, its probably unfair to call them a car company at all. Their business is in turning saudi bridging loans into hype.

Being pre-revenue though, that won't affect their valuation and appreciation for a good chunk of this year.

Ridiculous let's come back in two years and see if they are a 'crap car company' they haven't even started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

What a doggy day with eToro, in the afternoon i couldn't deposit and missed the dip. It's down for hours since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

WKHS tanking, OSK corp awarded US Postal contract apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Ridiculous let's come back in two years and see if they are a 'crap car company' they haven't even started.

Ridiculous? Have you seen the absolute nonsense they're putting forward on a daily basis?

image.png

image.png

I'd love to say we'll come back in 6-9 months, but they've already botched their production schedule in line with announcement of their SPAC DA. I'll be shorting the ticker before they go for NCAPS ratings if its still viable.

They're running at 900v - 100v more than the Porsche Taycan - while using low-volume Formula E battery technology. Hint: they're running that much voltage due to heat/efficiency concerns and are cutting corners almost everywhere to make up the weight differential as per their own admission. Oh, and their LIDAR system is unknown, and their marketing material literally posts about an ethernet network as some sort of advancement? I'm sorry, this is not how a good car company or even a company aspiring to be a good car company behaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 peacock20

connie147 wrote: »
    Reading and learning at the moment and planning to start trading in early March so a complete newbie.

On your quote above, anything in particular youd advice reading up on?

Reasonably new to this myself, so others better placed to offer more advice. But MywallStreet app, their Learn section is a nice starter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Ridiculous? Have you seen the absolute nonsense they're putting forward on a daily basis?

image.png

image.png

I'd love to say we'll come back in 6-9 months, but they've already botched their production schedule in line with announcement of their SPAC DA. I'll be shorting the ticker before they go for NCAPS ratings if its still viable.

They're running at 900v - 100v more than the Porsche Taycan - while using low-volume Formula E battery technology. Hint: they're running that much voltage due to heat/efficiency concerns and are cutting corners almost everywhere to make up the weight differential as per their own admission. Oh, and their LIDAR system is unknown, and their marketing material literally posts about an ethernet network as some sort of advancement? I'm sorry, this is not how a good car company or even a company aspiring to be a good car company behaves.

Good analysis. You pointed out the EPA bit. Are you suggesting they are basically pulling a VW with the 'clean' diesel cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

Canonfan wrote: »
    What a doggy day with eToro, in the afternoon i couldn't deposit and missed the dip. It's down for hours since.

Only looking to get into investing myself now, have signed up to Etoro but haven't funded my account yet. Are outages a common thing with etoro?
    Also if you don't mind me asking how do you fund your account, what's the best way to avoid high fees for changing EUR to USD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

coco0981 wrote: »
    Only looking to get into investing myself now, have signed up to Etoro but haven't funded my account yet. Are outages a common thing with etoro?
    Also if you don't mind me asking how do you fund your account, what's the best way to avoid high fees for changing EUR to USD

Overall it's stable, today was the only time i can remember. I fund my account with debit card, it converts into dollors, no fee. There's a $5 fee for withdraw i think.

Best of luck mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭all the bais

OCGN After hours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

circadian wrote: »
    Back in the game, threw in on CCIV once that trend was going up. 5 shares at $35, cagey trade but if it shoots up I'll take a small profit to ease the ****show this morning.

Snap. I sold out my last 20 shares at $35.

• Advertisement

cronos wrote: »
    Good analysis. You pointed out the EPA bit. Are you suggesting they are basically pulling a VW with the 'clean' diesel cars?

No, more that all their facts and figures regarding the performance/efficiency of their cars is based on their own internal test data - that no one has looked at - and yet they're making ridiculously extravagant claims about the performance, range and pricepoint of not just their halo offering, but their whole range.

I'll be frank, I think there's a very real chance of them being put under investigation for securities fraud.

Oh and finally, the SPAC - which is secondary to the Saudi PIF which owns controlling shares - literally had to back them off their wildly ambitious roadmap prior to DA due to eh... 'quality concerns' .

In short, expect a lot more bloomberg terminal snaps like this in the future

image.png

For anyone who wants to go red-flag hunting, here's their post-DA investor deck

https://www.lucidmotors.com/files/lucid-investor-deck-february-2021.pdf

No, more that all their facts and figures regarding the performance/efficiency of their cars is based on their own internal test data - that no one has looked at - and yet they're making ridiculously extravagant claims about the performance, range and pricepoint of not just their halo offering, but their whole range.

I'll be frank, I think there's a very real chance of them being put under investigation for securities fraud.

Oh and finally, the SPAC - which is secondary to the Saudi PIF which owns controlling shares - literally had to back them off their wildly ambitious roadmap prior to DA due to eh... 'quality concerns' .

In short, expect a lot more bloomberg terminal snaps like this in the future

image.png

For anyone who wants to go red-flag hunting, here's their post-DA investor deck

https://www.lucidmotors.com/files/lucid-investor-deck-february-2021.pdf

That's odd as I was on the conference call today and the CEO specifically called out independent third party testing. Can't remember specifically what he was referring to as I was working in the background at the time. I wonder would a video of that conference call be on the net somewhere. I just checked and could not find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭circadian

Guess it's time to ignore the market until Friday at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ok lessons learnt today. Make a plan and stick to it, this removes the emotions, NIO my biggest position, it's had nothing but good news stories last few weeks, and I have an end of year price target of 100$, why the hell would I of sold for like 41$, or a 60% discount today. Its back to 49$ at the close, so any sort of panic selling would almost definitely of resulted in me having to get back in higher later.

Next lesson, leverage is basically gambling, I had afew small positions in the spreadbetting account that got closed out automatically because I hit a margin call. I took a gamble back in Dec with my 5 :1 levered spreadbetting account, and kept doubling up until I closed it out in Jan, if I had not got out that full account would probably be bust now.

Finally, always keep the likes of 20% of my account in cash (especially my higher risk growth stocks account), and set some automatic buy orders just above the likes of 100 or 200day moving average, again this is a plan, that is thought out previously, and I'm not like today sitting looking at the market going down down down woundering should I buy or not.

Anyways rough day and rough week, but nothing fundamental has changed so I'm not giving any of this any real emotion, and I'm certainly not going to be losing sleep like I was last March when I was like a headless chicken and ended up selling up at nearly the bottom because I didn't have any sort of plan of action ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

OCGN After hours!!

OCGN filed for another 96mil shares to be authorised by shareholders at a meeting 16th of March. Looks like they are readying themselves to capitalise on Covaxin when phase 3 trial results are released & if it gets FDA approval

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭Jeff2

OCGN After hours!!

I can't buy this so it's of no concern to me but it was up 20% minutes into after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

Square bought $170m of bitcoin, 5% of the company's cash. Down c. 4% after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Square bought $170m of bitcoin, 5% of the company's cash. Down c. 4% after hours.

Bad day for Square, beat estimates for revenue and gross profits in the fourth quarter, but the shares sliding significantly in after- hours trading as the company indicated that first-quarter financial trends were only marginally better than the December quarter. Oversold?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Upwork had their best quarter n they're up 15% after hours. Twice thought of adding them up today...feck it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Upwork had their best quarter n they're up 15% after hours. Twice thought of adding them up today...feck it

The love in with fiverr and not Upwork never made sense to me when all I've ever used fiverr for was quick logos I needed whereas I know y combinator funded businesses using UpWork to outsource professional development work.

Congrats on the gains

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Could someone please explain why companies are buying bitcoin???
    I just don't get it. Do they see it as a hedge against inflation?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I would personally assume yes as a hedge against inflation created by quantitative easing. Mixed with it being the in thing among a very small number of tech CEO's who travel in the same circles.

I don't think that many companies have done it. Come back to me if you hear Disney doing it haha then we will know it's a trend among companies. For now it's a trend among bro ceo's in silicon valley.

Pump and dump.

Look back at 2008.

People made money in the crash.

There's 1.9$ Trillion about to hit the US economy, and Inflation will go above 2% in the next 14 or so months. It's like hedging precious metals, except you know exactly what the global capped supply is.

You'll be seeing a *lot* more of it going forward and its probably best to get your head around it sooner rather than later with the prevalence of BTC ETFs - a completely unthinkable prospect a few years ago but the hottest ticket in town this week:

(July 2018) https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/26/winklevoss-twins-bitcoin-etf-rejected-by-sec.html

(Feb 2021) https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-21/raging-success-of-first-bitcoin-fund-shows-who-leads-etf-market

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpfm

...question for Degiro users. There's always movements showing on US stocks before trading starts. Are these related to after hours activity?
    I've tried to validate the movements a few times against after hours on yahoo etc but never been able to.
    I luckily picked up some more upwork yesterday ahead of an 18% pop. oddly the % increase is still sitting there so I dunno if this is a bug or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Cpfm wrote: »
    ...question for Degiro users. There's always movements showing on US stocks before trading starts. Are these related to after hours activity?
    I've tried to validate the movements a few times against after hours on yahoo etc but never been able to.
    I luckily picked up some more upwork yesterday ahead of an 18% pop. oddly the % increase is still sitting there so I dunno if this is a bug or something else?

Probably currency fluctuations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Cpfm wrote: »

Degiro is a cheap and cheerful share trading App. Use it for trades, pay no attention to the price information...as its rarely accurate*

*(This advice applies to the free version, can't comment on the subscription version)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Degiro is a cheap and cheerful share trading App. Use it for trades, pay no attention to the price information...as its rarely accurate*

*(This advice applies to the free version, can't comment on the subscription version)

It really is very cheap. Didn't have money in my Derigo account yesterday so had to use Davy's to buy 200 shares of OCGN. Custody charge of €25 along with €14.99 commission. Sur no way will I ever make money on that trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

It really is very cheap. Didn't have money in my Derigo account yesterday so had to use Davy's to buy 200 shares of OCGN. Custody charge of €25 along with €14.99 commission. Sur no way will I ever make money on that trade.

Advertisement