Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

80s Child wrote: »
    Does anyone have a position in CLOV?

Or any thoughts? Thinking of going in now. Small money
    Is that IPOC turned Clover Health?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭dontparkhere

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Don't know much about them, but had a quick look on Google Finance. Looks like it was dropping like a stone before the pandemic, 2.60 a share end 2017, down to 1 before the pandemic hit. Went from being profitable every year, to losing 250m in 2017 and 750m in 2019. Looks like it lost 1m in the first half of 2020. Are you hoping it gets liquidated and the assets are more than the liquidated price?

Plus I f*cking hate Dundrum

I'm hoping the rest of the consumers don't hate retail as much as you or I.

To be honest I haven't done a massive amount of research done or money invested, but I can't see it going too far wrong.
    End of 2019 share price was about the value of the net assets making the current value at a 1/6th of pre-pandemic share price very compelling.
    They weren't in a great shape coming into the pandemic but they had a massive rights issue, sold off parts of the business and reduced leverage from 50 to 40%.
    From an asset value perspective I can't see it going far wrong unless retail was to completely disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Is that IPOC turned Clover Health?

Yes.

Has dropped since

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

pitrn wrote: »
    What to do with Mara.its down another 14 %.I want to cry

When I saw this post I thought yay, I've totally missed the boat with Mara when everyone was talking about it here afew weeks ago, maybe it's worth buying now... Until I checked the chart. Mother of God look how parabolic it's gone, and how far away from its 20day moving average it still is, even with its 14% drop. 2bh you must of total fomo'd and bought when it was crazy extended, and you'd totally missed the boat. Hopefully this drop will be enough to scare you away from fomo'ing in any future stocks in a similar position. But anyways thanks, Mara on my watchlist now, my loose target for it to consolidate around the 20$ mark until the 20day moving average catches up, and get in when it continues an uptrend.

Yes.

Has dropped since

It's a Chamath spac - it will move later this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭jams100

Facebook:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/ee1b716d-4ed2-4b26-8da1-40c98db7b9b6

Now this is either a big warning sign or a time to buy.

You would hope that something like this might send shockwaves up Facebooks managements ars*s. The quality of Facebooks "product" really has gone away from its core as a social media app. On the rare occasions I do go on Facebook its just ad after ad with virtually nothing about my 300+ "friends". I know we hear about Congress and europe going after the likes of facebook but I think their days in court is getting closer. (Generally this wouldn't worry me but with all that trump mob stuff I think they will try to clamp down on the control they have over society). I also read that all the 27 eu countries can each take facebook to court in their own jurisdictions rather than having to do it through ireland where their headquarters are.

If you can look past these issues, especially how poor their product offering has become then its a good buy. The main reason being where else can businesses go to advertise? Facebook can offer such a focused advertising campaign which makes it ideal for small businesses.

I'm conficted by this one. The numbers would suggest buy but the product itself suggests sell. I'm going to pass and let time tell on this one.

Unrelated but well worth watching the social dilemma which is a movie where tech experts sound the alarm over the dangerous human impact of social networking.

Personally I'm dying to move to a better platform, its just a case of a social networking company like signal reaching a critical mass before rocketing their growth! (Dont be an idiot and buy signal advance shares!)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

Nobody except your ma uses FB anymore. That's why you probably don't see anything in your feed from you friends. I have deleted mine and pretty much all my friends either deleted it or haven't logged in years...
    Only use case for me was if I needed to get in touch with small businesses, it was easy enough to interact with them via FB and get regular updates on their products.

Signal msg app operates as charity entity so wont be traded.

Since October, my only speculative plays in stocks are energy. Held LPI from 11 to 22 and I am in AR atm got in at 3.8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

On the subject of social media. Any thoughts on Twitter? It's fallen about 10% after kicking Trump off the site, but is still the 'go to' social media for concise announcements and news.

Biden will probably have just as big a following.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

bcklschaps wrote: »
    On the subject of social media. Any thoughts on Twitter? It's fallen about 10% after kicking Trump off the site, but is still the 'go to' social media for concise announcements and news.

Biden will probably have just as big a following.

I don't expect Twitter to grow enough to justify a huge share price gain in the future.

Biden has a big following sure, but his tweets are not going to drive hundreds of replies, debate, etc as Trumps did. Twitter has been big because people both left and right have been going at it for the last 4 years since Trump was elected. However the large amounts of tweets were probably a lot more skewed to people tweeting anti-trump stuff, with Biden elected this interest dies down.

I use twitter for market related stuff only. Does anyone use it for actual life updates etc? It's either pro trump, anti trump, businesses, stock market, or memes from what I see.

Am I missing something here or are Fiat Chrysler Auto giving anybody who buys their shares (in the next 2 days) a guaranteed 12% back in a special dividend?

FCA trading at about €14.50 in Milan today.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-fiat-chrysler-m-a-psa-dividend-idUSKBN29I198

The SP is up about 20% in last month so... I suppose its not inconceivable that it couldn't fall 12% on any given day.... But likewise.... If they announce an EV programme... Boom!! SP goes to the moon.

FCA down almost 9% in Milan this morning. Looks like the record date was actually today.
    I picked up a few shares yesterday and have the special dividend showing up now on my Degiro.

But alas, No such thing as a free lunch!!

• Advertisement

Kilboor wrote: »
    I don't expect Twitter to grow enough to justify a huge share price gain in the future.

Biden has a big following sure, but his tweets are not going to drive hundreds of replies, debate, etc as Trumps did. Twitter has been big because people both left and right have been going at it for the last 4 years since Trump was elected. However the large amounts of tweets were probably a lot more skewed to people tweeting anti-trump stuff, with Biden elected this interest dies down.

I use twitter for market related stuff only. Does anyone use it for actual life updates etc? It's either pro trump, anti trump, businesses, stock market, or memes from what I see.

Nature abhors a vacumm somebody/thing will fill in for Trumps absence. I use it a little bit for miscellaneous stuff, but Twitter isn't making much $$$ off me. Which is Twitters big problem in microcosm, I guess? They are struggling to make money off their moments in the limelight.

Anyway, its on my watch list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

I sold Facebook at the start of last year, only reason was to take profit and invest in another stock. At the time I was planning on getting back in and should have during the big drop. However since then with the talk of breaking up big tech and the rise of TikTok I'm struggling to see long term value.

From a usage point of view the only product I use now is Whatsapp, Facebook itself and Instagram are now just scrolling adverts with little appeal to me personally. They seem to be turning Instagram into a Tiktok/shopping app, following on from the livesteam shopping trend which is booming in China. So apart from holding on to friend connections the social aspect of both FB and Instagram is pretty much gone. Meanwhile Tiktok has completely hoovered up the young crowd and there could be another social media app just around the corner

This loss in user numbers is probably why they're looking to sync Whatsapp info with Facebook as they need a fresh source of user data. I'm expecting as time goes on for whatsapp to similarly become infested with adverts but I don't expect a shift in user figures are Whatsapp dominates this market. I mean who remembers Viber?

Overall I'm going to watch from the sidelines for now, they're playing good boy with the Democrats at the moment with their token gestures of banning far right groups (had the past 5 years to do that but whatever thye make plenty of money from all those clicks) and this could play in their favour, allowing them to continue their dominance of social media. With Facebook and Instagram declining their core usage is Whatsapp, which I can't imagine many will be shifting from any time soon so it's clearly a goldmine of valuable data for FB. However the swift rise of TikTok has left Facebook in the lurch and struggling to catch up with the cool kidz. I'll stay away for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Yes in it for the long haul, you need patience with it. 14's will be a steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah still have my position from the SPAC days. I'm happy to let it run, it's now a €15bn healthcare company. It's not small by any means, Teledoc for reference is about €30bn. At the moment I'm a little blind on it, need to do more research on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Atlas_IRL wrote: »

Should have gone in on this when I saw it at 11/12's just didn't have any free money in degiro. Rumours look more and more likely and the upside is too big so I will fomo in now at a stupid price than what I could have... This will skyrocket more if it is announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Should have gone in on this when I saw it at 11/12's just didn't have any free money in degiro. Rumours look more and more likely and the upside is too big so I will fomo in now at a stupid price than what I could have... This will skyrocket more if it is announced.

Just bought a handful myself yesterday, good timing it seems but might try and catch a few more today and ride the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

So the next hype train seems to be space exploration - ARK are setting up a new ETF for it

Possible candidates:
    SPCE https://www.virgingalactic.com/
    MAXR http://www.maxar.com
    SRAC https://momentus.space/
    IRDM https://www.iridium.com/
    NPA https://www.npa-corp.com/

All up after hours except IRDM - so maybe thats not included

Anybody think of any others?
    Was thinking LMT but thats not really space exploration more weaponising space :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

FCA down almost 9% in Milan this morning. Looks like the record date was actually today.
    I picked up a few shares yesterday and have the special dividend showing up now on my Degiro.

But alas, No such thing as a free lunch!!

eb27d3c83333cb4e9a2ac35b5bdc8475.png

Nope, record date is tomorrow.
    I'm buying more on the dip now as soon as I free up some cash

hottipper wrote: »
    So the next hype train seems to be space exploration - ARK are setting up a new ETF for it

Possible candidates:
    SPCE https://www.virgingalactic.com/
    MAXR http://www.maxar.com

All up after hours except IRDM - so maybe thats not included

Anybody think of any others?
    Was thinking LMT but thats not really space exploration more weaponising space :eek:
    KRTS

There's a few others I can think of and one more I'm trying to bag at the moment.

Maxr is one of my gems. I won't be surprised to see a SPAC aimed at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

retalivity wrote: »

Does it matter if I get this on NYSE rather than Milan? I suppose there's the 15% US dividend retention scheme to consider but nothing beyond that?

• Advertisement

robman60 wrote: »
    Does it matter if I get this on NYSE rather than Milan? I suppose there's the 15% US dividend retention scheme to consider but nothing beyond that?

See more info here https://www.fcagroup.com/en-US/investors/stock_info_and_shareholder_corner/Pages/dividend_distribution.aspx

My reading of the announcement is the same as yours...... But normally there is a share price rise coming upto Dividend record date and a fall afterwards....which is why I'm suspicious that the record date has already passed, now.

Listen.... If that works out for ya, fair play. You could end up with 20% basically free money ;-)

I might even buy a few more shares today myself...out of mischief :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JoeCole26

Do you not have to hold the shares on ex-date -1 to be eligible for this dividend? Therefore buying them today will be too late?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

There's a few others I can think of and one more I'm trying to bag at the moment.

Do share if you can think of it, don't worry this boards trading group is not going to move the market on you.

JoeCole26 wrote: »
    Do you not have to hold the shares on ex-date -1 to be eligible for this dividend? Therefore buying them today will be too late?

Ah...I believe you are right.
    Looks like I am too late.

KRTS

Maxr is one of my gems. I won't be surprised to see a SPAC aimed at this.

MAXR is already a publicly traded company, soo that takes away the biggest single benefit of merging with a SPAC. A buyout from a larger rival that wants its tech, might be more likely.

Ah...I believe you are right.
    Looks like I am too late.

Yeah it's on the first page of that link

https://www.fcagroup.com/en-US/investors/stock_info_and_shareholder_corner/Pages/dividend_distribution.aspx

Italian and US ex-date January 14, 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Timmaay wrote: »
    When I saw this post I thought yay, I've totally missed the boat with Mara when everyone was talking about it here afew weeks ago, maybe it's worth buying now... Until I checked the chart. Mother of God look how parabolic it's gone, and how far away from its 20day moving average it still is, even with its 14% drop. 2bh you must of total fomo'd and bought when it was crazy extended, and you'd totally missed the boat. Hopefully this drop will be enough to scare you away from fomo'ing in any future stocks in a similar position. But anyways thanks, Mara on my watchlist now, my loose target for it to consolidate around the 20$ mark until the 20day moving average catches up, and get in when it continues an uptrend.

Already up in pre

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Facebook is an interesting one. They had a sweet spot a few years ago where vast majority of businesses felt like their targeted ads was well worth the money, that has declined a lot over recent years and users got a blend of friend posts along with news articles and group posts and ads felt like they were in the background. Scroll through anyones fb now and it's countless ads with very little personal content. Eventually more dead people will be on facebook then the living.

As another user said there were generations that moved with facebooks meteoric rise 10 years ago and they now find that their kids stay well away from their "parents social media", which is one of the reasons why FB bought Instagram. Insta and whatsapp look like they will be going the same way as the facebook model so no doubt they will feck that up eventually too. And when I have a vast amount of friends that have either deleted or don't use facebook anymore, I doubt they can re-jig it enough to get those users back. Also risk of being broken up in the future.

TLDR - I won't be buying fb shares for the foreseeable.

• Advertisement

hottipper wrote: »
    Do share if you can think of it, don't worry this boards trading group is not going to move the market on you.

I will as soon as I can get my hands on some. I'm waiting on replies to emails - no point recommending it if you can't buy it.

Also, Maxr 44 in pre-market.

Respect the pump.

Advertisement