Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Facebook is an interesting one. They had a sweet spot a few years ago where vast majority of businesses felt like their targeted ads was well worth the money, that has declined a lot over recent years and users got a blend of friend posts along with news articles and group posts and ads felt like they were in the background. Scroll through anyones fb now and it's countless ads with very little personal content. Eventually more dead people will be on facebook then the living.

As another user said there were generations that moved with facebooks meteoric rise 10 years ago and they now find that their kids stay well away from their "parents social media", which is one of the reasons why FB bought Instagram. Insta and whatsapp look like they will be going the same way as the facebook model so no doubt they will feck that up eventually too. And when I have a vast amount of friends that have either deleted or don't use facebook anymore, I doubt they can re-jig it enough to get those users back. Also risk of being broken up in the future.

TLDR - I won't be buying fb shares for the foreseeable.

I'm pretty torn on FB myself. One one hand there is no doubt the core platform is under pressure from newer platforms. They also face a huge challenge in monetizing WhatsApp. On the other hand they are still very profitable and certainly have the financial clout to snap up their up and coming rivals which would make them relevant again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Magno_DT

masterK wrote: »
    I'm pretty torn on FB myself. One one hand there is no doubt the core platform is under pressure from newer platforms. They also face a huge challenge in monetizing WhatsApp. On the other hand they are still very profitable and certainly have the financial clout to snap up their up and coming rivals which would make them relevant again.

They had the data to be an Amazon, Revolut, or even Taxi app but for me they were too slow and didn't seem to capitalise on the data they had. The next generation have little or no interest in the app and I'm finding myself less likely to log in with each day. It's mostly sponsored ads on my feed at the moment, for things I have little or no interest in. I don't know about their figures or plans but anecdotally I'm not currently seeing enough future value.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Novacyt, God I've managed to completely fudge trading it lol, I bought at the peak of £12.60 back just before the vaccines got announced, when it quickly tanked to 6, I sold out some then and reduced my position to 1/4 2days ago, and of course in the last 2days it's pumped back to £10 lol.

Almost nothing standing out on my watchlist of like 30 or so good growth stocks, nearly everything is what I'd call fairly extended and due a bit of a pullback ha, the market sort of feels like last September, when the Nasdaq randomly sold off, so I'm largely happy to keep 20% in cash for now waiting for better buying opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭jams100

masterK wrote: »

The problem is they won't be able to take out the competition anymore, or at least its going to be much, much harder to aquire the competition. I have been following the big techs senate hearings and the general tone is these companies have to much power and need to be reigned in. The question is will this result in any actual action? I get the feeling it will its just what the action might be and how long it will take?
    I find it hard to see Facebook aquiring the next Instagram and if they can't do that then I see them stalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

jams100 wrote: »
    The problem is they won't be able to take out the competition anymore, or at least its going to be much, much harder to aquire the competition. I have been following the big techs senate hearings and the general tone is these companies have to much power and need to be reigned in. The question is will this result in any actual action? I get the feeling it will its just what the action might be and how long it will take?
    I find it hard to see Facebook aquiring the next Instagram and if they can't do that then I see them stalling.

Agree 100%. I worked in competition law previously and it's widely accepted that Facebook's takeover of WhatsApp should never have been approved, and the European Commission cleared it largely on the basis of commitments from Facebook, which they subsequently breached, and were fined a couple of hundred million for. However, what's that compared to the benefits they reaped from the breach?

I'm not sure where I stand on it overall as Instagram is still very popular even if Facebook is declining hugely (I deleted mine and just kept messenger). I can say with a degree of confidence that the growth by acquisition strategy will be increasingly difficult for Facebook and other big tech going forward. Anecdotally, the EU Commission and it appears the US authorities have Facebook and Google more in their sights than the other tech giants, but Amazon may come under increasing scrutiny given it AWS business and recent removal of Parler from its servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Someone tipped Pine Island Acquisition Corp a while back as it was very close to the Bidens (sorry I cant go back and check who, the advanced thread search option stops working for me every now and then for a week at a time, same thing happened with Reconnaissance Energy...). Looks like its starting to move now, up 15% since the tip and 10% pre-market, again kicking myself for the small position, I really should be more brave while things are like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Thargor wrote: »
    Someone tipped Pine Island Acquisition Corp a while back as it was very close to the Bidens (sorry I cant go back and check who, the advanced thread search option stops working for me every now and then for a week at a time, same thing happened with Reconnaissance Energy...). Looks like its starting to move now, up 15% since the tip and 10% pre-market, again kicking myself for the small position, I really should be more brave while things are like this.

I only bought in this morning, I had it on my watch list due to the post here but totally forgot about it. Hopefully it'll continue to rise.

I really need to trim down my watchlist to avoid missing out

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

It’s funny, I also saw that note and been watching it closely for last while....bite the bullet and bought in today as well...hope it’s upward and onwards from here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

EH. Ffs why did I sell lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

It’s funny, I also saw that note and been watching it closely for last while....bite the bullet and bought in today as well...hope it’s upward and onwards from here

I was going to recommend - didn't spot the earlier one. This looks like it may be a goer too.

SPCE up 20% also.

I was going to recommend - didn't spot the earlier one. This looks like it may be a goer too.

SPCE up 20% also.

There’s 2 PIPP on exchanges, PIPP and PIPP_U, seems to be same company but different price, can someone explain

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I wouldn’t be tempted by FB at all. Seems fairly apparent that it’ll be broken up in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

There’s 2 PIPP on exchanges, PIPP and PIPP_U, seems to be same company but different price, can someone explain

PIPP_U is a Unit. It comprises of a Share in the company, plus 1/3 of an option (may vary depending on the SPAC). Units are normally about 20% more expensive, there's not a huge difference between the two. If you don't understand warrants/options, just go for the share (PIPP)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Shedite27 wrote: »
    PIPP_U is a Unit. It comprises of a Share in the company, plus 1/3 of an option (may vary depending on the SPAC). Units are normally about 20% more expensive, there's not a huge difference between the two. If you don't understand warrants/options, just go for the share (PIPP)
    Thanks.

Afaik the option gives you a right to buy the share at pre-determined price at a future point in time.
    Pipp.u is the one I am after.

Good day so far: Maxr, Spce, Uavs, Spwr all rocketing.
    ARK Space etf here we come.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭al87987

No FB for me either, can't imagine many people under 35 use the app like previous generations. For me the app is dormant.

I hold a small stake in Pinterest which I think could benefit from the toxicity and negative views currently held around other social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭al87987

No FB for me either, can't imagine many people under 35 use the app like previous generations. For me the app is dormant.

I hold a small stake in Pinterest which I think could benefit from the toxicity and negative views currently held around other social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

retalivity wrote: »
    Ah...I believe you are right.
    Looks like I am too late.

Assuming you're a higher rate taxpayer, is getting a 12% dividend not a disaster as you'll lose half the amount in tax compared to the company retaining the cash and contributing to a capital gain instead which is taxed at a lower rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

All you hippies.

Canada canna market seems pretty much in wrap up/consolidation phase post legalisation.
    USA is where it's at now for the next wave.

Cresco Labs is the pump and dump choice at the moment (in pump phase). (Only on FRA market on Degiro unfortunately)

Another penny stock I'm trying is Medipharm , they rode the wave until the tide went out. New management have hit a reset button and back in profit.

Aphria can do no wrong but once Quarterly earnings excitement has cooled down I can see them going the same seesaw that Canopy went through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Anyone get in on zoom since it dropped back into the 300 hundreds?

It's an interesting one for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

When did PIPP get added? I never got an email back from Degiro, typical.

Any way some GOOD NEWS, after 2+ years of seeing my Degiro being in red every day (it really ****ing sucks). It's finally in the green a good bit. Best advice to anyone starting out keep emotion out of it (I'm very emotional) and patience patience patience!

Thanks to everyone who contributed in the 2020 thread and here. Lots of lessons learned here and a good place to vent at times!

Cheers to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Fair play to all those who held Gamestop the past year. Flat for a year and up 750% in the past few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Fair play to all those who held Gamestop the past year. Flat for a year and up 750% in the past few months.

Out at 35.50 from 8.80

This is where I seen the PIPP recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

VEON has plenty of scope for growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Browney7 wrote: »
    Assuming you're a higher rate taxpayer, is getting a 12% dividend not a disaster as you'll lose half the amount in tax compared to the company retaining the cash and contributing to a capital gain instead which is taxed at a lower rate?

Swings and roundabouts really...at the level i'm investing in the difference is not that much!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Magno_DT

I do like the look of VEON at the moment.

I'm also considering moving some money into CROX. Aside from the March 2020 crash, it has had a nice steady upward slope for the past 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

hottipper wrote: »
    Zoom could be good to go soon if anybody is interested in it.
    Its still fighting but at nice levels currently might go sideways for a week then back up, one to watch.
    Liamo_mu wrote: »
    Anyone get in on zoom since it dropped back into the 300 hundreds?

It's an interesting one for sure

yeah i'm in was a day off with my prediction :pac: (week + a day)
    lets see if it can get back to its highs

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JDWW

Kilboor wrote: »
    Out at 35.50 from 8.80

Holding on for the moment could see another few days of growth into next week...albeit a very small holding.

Small plays in Kistos SPAC (KIST) and PSTH too.

Like the look of HBAR crypto as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

JDWW wrote: »
    Holding on for the moment could see another few days of growth into next week...albeit a very small holding.

Small plays in Kistos SPAC (KIST) and PSTH too.

Like the look of HBAR crypto as well.

Had a small holding aswell but sold when it hit 20$ during the console launches, regretting it now but that is always gonna the way when you miss out on imaginary profit haha.
    I was delighted with the profit at the time :) Fair play for holding out, hope it keeps going for another while for ya.

Advertisement