Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

bish76 wrote: »
    CLOV up 24% today. Can't find any news to explain this.

This is all I can see, contracts in ten states for CMS
    https://innovation.cms.gov/media/document/gpdc-model-participant-announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

It's funny, I found myself looking at VW and thinking "hmm, share price looks a bit frothy for me, missed the boat on this one I think".

I know fundamentals have become a bit of a meme these days, particularly when we're looking at mid cap growth stocks but this is a company with a PE ratio of a measly 15x and is well positioned to be a major player in the EV market. TSLA PE is 1061x for reference.

I think as long as they avoid any more scandals, the future is pretty bright for them. One would hope that after the defeat device scandal that they are working towards being top of the class in terms of transparency and compliance, maybe that's naive on my part but it's worth noting.
    I was test driving a ID4 this week - honestly Volkswagen have the EV thing cracked. I've no doubt it'll be the biggest EV player over the next 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I was test driving a ID4 this week - honestly Volkswagen have the EV thing cracked. I've no doubt it'll be the biggest EV player over the next 10 years.

Have you test driven a Tesla too?
    I own both (shares), probably more upside with volkswagon given its market cap relative to Tesla.
    I do however believe Tesla has the better tech and will look cheap at current prices in 5-10 years time.
    There is room for both u guess. I really need to test drive both too!

CLOV up 24% today. Can't find any news to explain this.

Hopefully this holds, between the Hindenburg report* and SPAC hate, this seemed way oversold without any good reason. High short interest so could continue to rise as well.

*I could be wrong but I feel like this was a real case of making a mountain out of a mole hill. I don’t get how Hindenburg reports aren’t market manipulation myself. They might be right at times but even when they’re wrong the price drops so they win either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

What do we think of some of the airline stocks?

I bought some UAL and AAL roughly as soon as the vaccines were approved.

Both are up about 30-35%

AAL - bought at $18 and now $23.69
    UAL - bought at $44.27 and now at $59.52

Would you say these are holds and will continue to rise to pre-covid prices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

jams100 wrote: »
    I own both (shares), probably more upside with volkswagon given its market cap relative to Tesla.
    I do however believe Tesla has the better tech and will look cheap at current prices in 5-10 years time.

Unfortunately Tesla's share price has little to do with its underlying business at this point in the cycle and a lot to do with highly leveraged derivative positions all piled up on Tesla.
    Even within the real world and economy, it faces a gargantuan uphill battle against the established automotive brands. Just my opinion. I imported EVs in the mid 2000s. I've been studying the fledgling industry since 2003. Look at EVS, Vectrix, Aixam, G-Wiz, e-max, Elektrak, Gorilla Vehicles. All great tech, none of them sexy asTesla, mind, but when the big guns step in, it's sell out or fade away. Every time.

Another Mode video about their shopping app

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=-RibLpwA-Sc&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=Mode

Part of me wonders if somewhere in the T&Cs of the shopping app will it talk about companies gaining access to customer information through open banking. In the video they talk about "accessing rich customer insights", the only way I can see open banking being beneficial above the usual payment methods in this respects is that they are harvesting user spending info from open banking as well.

While I can see this being a big draw for companies and a smart move on Mode's part, seems like the kind of thing that would attract negative sentiment if it is the case.

Open banking is still very new and there's minimal checks and balances in place to ensure companies are using it correctly.

EDIT. They mention it on their site...."By integrating with customers’ financial data, retailers can learn a lot about customers’ spending habits and offer much more personalised services. For example, with Open Banking businesses could easily and efficiently offer highly personalised rewards based on previous purchases at any online and offline shop, which is a cheap and effective way to increase customer engagement and boost sales."

Haven't driven one, but have been in one. Tesla is the Audi of cars, Volkswagen is the, well, Volkswagen. I love Tesla and would love to see them become a mainstream competitor, but Volkswagen are the ones who can really ramp up production to take real market share for the normal people.

Put it this way, iD3/iD4 is the benchmark that Ford, Peugeot, Kia etc have to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,381 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

BOHtox wrote: »

Both are up about 30-35%

I'm long on Boeing. Got some in Jan when below 200. It dipped below 100 a year ago! Think it'll prove a good purchase over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

what's the general feeling about Skillz Inc. (SKLZ). It's further down today, running at $17.0
    Update.. decided to buy 50 shares @ $16.99. Happy with BEP

Bought a good bit yesterday at 16.90

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

BOHtox wrote: »

Both are up about 30-35%

I did the very same thing. Bought Delta, American Airlines and South West.

AAL is up 64% for me, bought minutes after after Pfizer vaccine was announced. The other 2 are up around 30%. I'm definitely holding them as things start to reopen in US I feel it has more runway to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Gamma1

Haven't driven one, but have been in one. Tesla is the Audi of cars, Volkswagen is the, well, Volkswagen. I love Tesla and would love to see them become a mainstream competitor, but Volkswagen are the ones who can really ramp up production to take real market share for the normal people.

Put it this way, iD3/iD4 is the benchmark that Ford, Peugeot, Kia etc have to get to.

What's wrong with Hyundai Kona - I have one - super car. I agree with J Clarkson on Tesla - its a heap of .....No comparison with VW, Audi or for that matter Hyundai.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭Treppen

I think when you're buying into Tesla You're getting more than just a VW EV competitor though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Tesla is like its own ETF - its a **** ton of different high growth areas in the one company.

Car Manufacturing
    Solar Company
    Insurance Company
    autonomy
    Battery Manufacturer
    supercharger network

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Tesla is like its own ETF - its a **** ton of different high growth areas in the one company.

Car Manufacturing
    Solar Company
    Insurance Company
    autonomy
    Battery Manufacturer
    supercharger network

And a taxi company as well now.......
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFWZWDqyV2I

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭crushproof

Does anyone see a recovery in tech anytime soon? Bunch of tech shares still dragging down my portfolio by 15%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Roblox having a good day.

Nio, down almost 4% today has potentially signed a 6 year service agreement with Dongguan Development (Holdings) Co., Ltd. to jointly promote the construction of charging and battery swap facilities. The first phase will be the construction of five battery swap stations in highway service areas the latter manages.

Not much in English available to see yet https://eresearch.fidelity.com/eresearch/evaluate/news/basicNewsStory.jhtml?symbols=NIO&storyid=202104090642RTRSNEWSCOMBINED_P8N2LZ01W_1&provider=RTRSNEWS&product=COMBINED&sb=1

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

This is the problem for me with Tesla as an investment. They are not going to be able to compete with the likes of VW, etc in producing mass market cars in a couple of years time. So they are going to have to go upmarket and try to compete head on with the likes of Audi, BMW and Mercedes. These companies produce high quality, well built, reliable, premium products that have a good resale value. Tesla is going to go a long, long way for their cars to come up to the German standard. All the while the Germans will not be sitting on their hands waiting for Tesla to take their customers.

bob mcbob wrote: »
    This is the problem for me with Tesla as an investment. They are not going to be able to compete with the likes of VW, etc in producing mass market cars in a couple of years time. So they are going to have to go upmarket and try to compete head on with the likes of Audi, BMW and Mercedes. These companies produce high quality, well built, reliable, premium products that have a good resale value. Tesla is going to go a long, long way for their cars to come up to the German standard. All the while the Germans will not be sitting on their hands waiting for Tesla to take their customers.
    TESLA are currently worth pretty much the same as all other big car companies, including the ones you mentioned, combined! It's madness imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bish76

Tesla is not a mainstream car in Ireland yet while I already see hybrid/ EVs from BMW, Audi, toyota, Nissan, Kia in neighbours...and they outnumber Tesla. I believe Tesla lead will narrow day by day and in the end EV will simply be one element of car among others like after sale service, finance, comfort, reliability and so on..

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

Tesla is not a mainstream car in Ireland yet while I already see hybrid/ EVs from BMW, Audi, toyota, Nissan, Kia in neighbours...and they outnumber Tesla. I believe Tesla lead will narrow day by day and in the end EV will simply be one element of car among others like after sale service, finance, comfort, reliability and so on..

As someone who didn't understand Teslas valuation a few months ago I've come to the realisation that you have to look more at their technology and brand than at their current sales (which are still reaching / beating estimates too).
    They are also far ahead of others in terms of self driving cars.
    I put tesla into the same bracket as apple. Nobody needs an apple phone, there's plenty of competition out there yet people keep buying apple products.

They are also far ahead of others in terms of self driving cars.

Most of the independet reviews on this suggest they talk this up a lot more than they've developed. They might get there, but they're nowhere close at the moment.
    https://www.consumerreports.org/autonomous-driving/tesla-full-self-driving-capability-review-falls-short-of-its-name/

The way I look at it, for EVs to become really popular people like my Da are going to have to buy one. There is no chance he will order one from Tesla with all that comes with that if he can get something similar from VW or another car company he knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

Alibaba receives record fine from Chinese Government $2.8 billion.
    I see this as a really good outcome for them and gets rid of the uncertainty. I think the market will react positively to this on Monday

Alibaba receives record fine from Chinese Government $2.8 billion.
    I see this as a really good outcome for them and gets rid of the uncertainty. I think the market will react positively to this on Monday

I suspect negative initially with a recovery later in the day. I guess we will know when Hong Kong opens tomorrow night.

If it dips I'm buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

What's the consensus on CRISPR?

I've bought in for 10 shares, down about 5% on it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Pussyhands wrote: »
    What's the consensus on CRISPR?

I've bought in for 10 shares, down about 5% on it now.

Better than being 34% down on 40 shares ugh ha. Batton down the hatches and pray that the 10year bond yields don't go much over 2%

cronos wrote: »
    I suspect negative initially with a recovery later in the day. I guess we will know when Hong Kong opens tomorrow night.

If it dips I'm buying.

Baba has started the morning well for sure. 6 percent up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

cronos wrote: »
    Baba has started the morning well for sure. 6 percent up.

Sweet!

Wouldn't be surprised to see it slide down through PM to +1.5/2% though

Advertisement