Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

treatyman wrote: »
    TDOC absolutely killing me.

What caused the drop? Poor earnings?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

Mf310 wrote: »
    TRCH merger one to watch over the next few days. Couple of big dates over the next 2 weeks that should drive it to double/triple the price . Big confidence in this stock by many and anyone with shares will get a dividend from sale of assets during summer which could be anything from 1$ to 20$ it seems like a no risk win..2$ atm is cheap

Thanks for this Tip did my DD and i like the play as you have outlined. Up 14% so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭treatyman

cronos wrote: »
    What caused the drop? Poor earnings?

I guess so.

I'll have to keep buying at this stage and hopefully someday it will all come right and I'll reap the rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

I wouldn't be too confident on TDOC. If it can't make money in a pandemic I'm not sure when it will. Also even though revenues have been growing it's expenses have inflated too.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Gamma1

STPK SPAC has become Stem Inc today and supposedly up. Listed on Degiro as a total loss but assume will correct itself tomorrow. Anybody else sailing in this one?

• Advertisement

Gamma1 wrote: »
    STPK SPAC has become Stem Inc today and supposedly up. Listed on Degiro as a total loss but assume will correct itself tomorrow. Anybody else sailing in this one?

I have 2.5% of my portfolio in it. High enough BEP though at 27 so down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Gamma1 wrote: »

Was holding out for the merger but not sure how long to hold out before buying in.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Going to dip my toe into a little Pinterest today. Big drop in share price after results. But seems to be good progress on monetising it. I also think it is ripe to be bought at some point which I think creates a decent floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

I like them too and they have bounced back from these levels (64-65) few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

For those of you down on FB longer term, do you have individual shares? My only exposure is through ETFs so not much to do there.

Out of the FAANG group, I'm mostly down on FB and Netflix (easy to copy business model and lots of competition). Apple and Amazon are the ones I like most for the future, Apple for their innovation and Amazon for their complete dominance in that space in north america

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

For those of you down on FB longer term, do you have individual shares? My only exposure is through ETFs so not much to do there.

Out of the FAANG group, I'm mostly down on FB and Netflix (easy to copy business model and lots of competition). Apple and Amazon are the ones I like most for the future, Apple for their innovation and Amazon for their complete dominance in that space in north america[/QUOTE

thoughts on MSFT ? they had great earnings during week and now down 13$ in 2 days from all time high - confused

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Out of the FAANG group, I'm mostly down on FB and Netflix (easy to copy business model and lots of competition). Apple and Amazon are the ones I like most for the future, Apple for their innovation and Amazon for their complete dominance in that space in north america

I like Amazon and Google most. I think I probably like Facebook but my personal view on them puts me off. Apple are great just I think theyve gone expensive. I dont like Netflix as whilst I love it now I think there is lots of challegers ramping up and whilst they have first mover advantage the competitors have deep pockets.

Microsoft not a faang but I love their stock.

I own google, microsoft and facebook. I have not got into fractional shares so only reason I have no Amazon is the cost of a share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

whatever76 wrote: »

Out of the FAANG group, I'm mostly down on FB and Netflix (easy to copy business model and lots of competition). Apple and Amazon are the ones I like most for the future, Apple for their innovation and Amazon for their complete dominance in that space in north america[/QUOTE

thoughts on MSFT ? they had great earnings during week and now down 13$ in 2 days from all time high - confused

Not that easy to copy, plus they have huge Network effect. For example if you stopped using FB or Whatsapp in the Morning how would you connect to all your friends/family? There is no alternative, yes their is alternative software with no network effect which means nobody is on them so they are useless

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Going to dip my toe into a little Pinterest today. Big drop in share price after results. But seems to be good progress on monetising it. I also think it is ripe to be bought at some point which I think creates a decent floor.
    Yeah Pinterest dropped on news that it's Monthly Active users had dropped. But the money made from those active users increased. Surely that's the goal here.

I've had Pinterest for a while now, very happy to hold.

Not that easy to copy, plus they have huge Network effect. For example if you stopped using FB or Whatsapp in the Morning how would you connect to all your friends/family? There is no alternative, yes their is alternative software with no network effect which means nobody is on them so they are useless

Sorry I meant the Netflix model was easy to copy, not the fb model.
    I'm down on FB because I'm mainly down on social media and their sneaky ways in general. If they cancelled fb, insta, whatsapp in the morning, I'd still be able to communicate with friends and family, less so with acquaintances though.

Microsoft I really like too!

I deliver for Amazon part time here in Canada and it's insane how busy they are. Generally delivering 10,000 packages per day to a population of maybe 600,000 people, probably closer to 12,000 packages per day at the minute. And there are other courier companies taken on to help with overflow so who knows how many they're actually shipping out in total. A real eye opener
    That's not to mention Amazon Prime, AWS etc - they're making a lot of money!!

The thing with Microsoft, Apple, Amazon etc, any of us here with pension fuds (hopefully most) who are into stocks, probably have their pension in an Equties Fund, which likely has 3-5% of Apple, Microsoft etc anyway. We all have plenty of exposure to them anyway, I don't see the point in adding to them in my personal portfolio

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Shedite27 wrote: »
    The thing with Microsoft, Apple, Amazon etc, any of us here with pension fuds (hopefully most) who are into stocks, probably have their pension in an Equties Fund, which likely has 3-5% of Apple, Microsoft etc anyway. We all have plenty of exposure to them anyway, I don't see the point in adding to them in my personal portfolio

And remember also if you have ETF's that track S&P they will also have a fair chunk of exposure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Amazon is doing a billion a day...
    They are ramping up their own logistics with 100k delivery vehicles, planes etc so they will have logistics compared to some of the big logistic companies. If they can start offering anything remotely close to coupang they will dominate even more.

Perhaps a morale boost on the rough days.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭plasmin

Is it worth getting few twitter share after current dip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

plasmin wrote: »

If Dorsey went away of this company I feel it would be worth at least $80, nowadays I have order set to start filling position at $54 all the way down to $40 I think...

Yeah Apple, Microsoft, Amazon and Google are 15% of my main ETF, so already a healthy amount due to their huge market cap. Definitely don't need to overexpose myself to these companies but good to keep an eye on what they're doing. Also useful for those who don't hold any ETFs/pension funds

plasmin wrote: »

Just bought a few at $56. Reckon I’ll be able to sell those at $70 at some point over the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭treatyman

Been thinking a lot about my the portfolio I hold and what am I actually trying to do.

For context I have a pension plan through work and I've maxed my AVC contribution also so I'm already investing for my future.

Then I have roughly 40k in shares outside of any pension plan spread over 35 ish companies mostly based on my own thoughts and research but also a lot from information on here. The majority of my holdings are in negative territory but the positive ones are doing very well so am up a few grand overall.

I keep having a thought, what if I sold all the shares that are currently in profit, take my money and run, let the shares currently negative where they are, keep an eye on them, figure out if I want to keep them long term, if they turn to making a profit, sell.

Then invest again on the next downturn.

I think I'm caught between thinking this is a long term project versus take the profit now. Does anyone else have similar thoughts or understand what's going through my head?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bish76

Next downturn may not come in few years so who knows. As they say time in market is more important that timings. I max my pension fund for last years - majority of which is invested in stocks anyways. I have invested rainy day fund (x2) in degiro which was sitting in bank giving 0%. Some negatives, some profits but it's giving me few hundred every month so I will stick around.

Depends your overall goal and strategy of investment.

Been thinking a lot about my the portfolio I hold and what am I actually trying to do.

For context I have a pension plan through work and I've maxed my AVC contribution also so I'm already investing for my future.

Then I have roughly 40k in shares outside of any pension plan spread over 35 ish companies mostly based on my own thoughts and research but also a lot from information on here. The majority of my holdings are in negative territory but the positive ones are doing very well so am up a few grand overall.

I keep having a thought, what if I sold all the shares that are currently in profit, take my money and run, let the shares currently negative where they are, keep an eye on them, figure out if I want to keep them long term, if they turn to making a profit, sell.

I think I'm caught between thinking this is a long term project versus take the profit now. Does anyone else have similar thoughts or understand what's going through my head?
    Your plan would basically bank the 5-10k profit you've made and put the rest into cash, then wait another 5/6 years for anotehr dip and repeat and make anotehr 5-10k.

Just leaving the money invested will likely get you far more than that.

If the number of losers is getting you down, maybe a more stable strategy is what you're looking for. I'm sure you could find 20-30 stocks that would average 10% growth each year. That's the same net effect as 10 stocks going up 100% and 25 stocks going red. It the red is bothering you it might a strategy worth exploring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

For me I’m buying for the long term with money I won’t need for 5+ years and adding to it monthly.

If I’ve picked good stocks then time in the market will beat timing the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Did anyone buy or look at shares in the Darktrace, DARK.L, IPO today.
    Cyber security company, fully subscribed IPO from institutions.

IPO price of 250p and went up to 360p today before settling down to 337p

Getting PLTR vibes from them with ex-GCHQ involved in them and Cambridge AI people. Slight cloud over them due to a previous board member facing extradition to the US.

It’s on my watchlist for a hopeful dip in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

You would be getting rid of the investments that are working for you and holding on to the ones that aren't.

If you're looking to trim your portfolio, maybe a better way would be to look at each stock in turn and ask yourself 'would I pay that price today?'. Get rid of anything you answer no to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭jams100

Many people have given you good advice.

I really don't know why you (or anyone else) would sell stocks that are in profit purely because they are in profit (unless its for CGT purposes).

You could be years waiting on the next crash, your better off being invested and having cash on the sideline in case there is a 25%+ correction.

Its a cliche but its true: time in the markets beats timing the markets.

Lastly have you really done your research? Given that you said you have, and then in the following sentence you say that you've also taken alot of information on here might suggest that you haven't done enough? Worth asking yourself that question again, I'm increasingly asking myself that question these days.

Advertisement