Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Phoebas wrote: »
    You would be getting rid of the investments that are working for you and holding on to the ones that aren't.

If you're looking to trim your portfolio, maybe a better way would be to look at each stock in turn and ask yourself 'would I pay that price today?'. Get rid of anything you answer no to.

“Selling your winners and holding your losers is like cutting the flowers and watering the weeds.”

– Peter Lynch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

Weeds have their uses too :pac:

I've a few I keep out of nostalgia and to remind me of stupid decisions. Some professionals have certs on the wall to display their education. I keep these trash ones to remind me how much I paid for that education.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

RedRochey wrote: »
    “Selling your winners and holding your losers is like cutting the flowers and watering the weeds.”

– Peter Lynch

Disposition Effect is the formal term for behaviour. Its human instinct. I suffer from it myself.

Love that qoute btw

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

RedRochey wrote: »

– Peter Lynch

Thats rubbish ..if i went with that philosophy I'd have lost of heap more money ...boi a prime example.
    Bar the industry your invested in is a dead duck ..eh Nokia in the naughties or kodak in early nineties

Anyone any plays for next week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Treppen wrote: »

Trying to get a pullback on EGLX, Enthusiastic Gaming. They're in the eSports industry. This thread describes in better than I could...
    https://twitter.com/GRDecter/status/1388139239364300800

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Going to add Diageo to my portfolio, other than that not much happening

• Registered Users Posts: 36,115 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

retalivity wrote: »
    NKLA are a jokeshop, stay well away
    I'm currently down 77% on NKLA, luckily a small position, bought at $60 :( Maybe they'll finally do something!

But isn't it wise to buy when it's so down. Iveco are a serious player, and will get an electric truck to market with Nikola

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

But isn't it wise to buy when it's so down.

Yes if it's a dip, no if it's a falling knife

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Gamma1

Valneva a French Covid vaccine and other drugs lab. Gone to US market. Bought it before and of course sold before last week where it flew up. Went back for more - though, its now high

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Another boost for OCGN.

New study showing it's effective against UK, India and Brazil variants https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ocugen-announces-studies-showing-covaxin-113000104.html

Up 10% pre-market, could push for a new ATH today.

So... Anyone in the MJ space holding Aphria, it's happened!

conversion was 0.8381 Tilray at Friday 30th closing price.
    From my crappy phone it looks like it closed at $18ish so converts to US$15.40 per share which is what Aphria closed at. I think the prices were pretty close to the conversion rate anyway so like-for-like. Well executed merger by all accounts.

My first experience of arbitrage (or lack thereof in this case).

Hasn't changed over on Degiro yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Couple of my holdings been getting hammered the last while (like everyone I know) but looking for some peoples thoughts. Overall, I have about 10k invested since initially beginning investing 12 months ago. I own about 45 companies. After lots of initial success with companies like Nio (got in at around 10 dollars a share), Amazon (up 65%) , Twilio (72%), Berkshire Hathaway (52%), MGM Resorts, Snap (348%) Slack (73%), Zoom(104%) Hubspot (154%) Facebook (85%) and a few other major hits.

Around December, after seeing nearly everything in green I decided to become more bold ands start buying some SPACS and penny stocks as well as other speculative plays. Some which I am in are Argo (-30%), CCIV (- 42%) EROS (-44.5%) FRX -30%) Nano (-25%) GEVO (-12%) Tencent Holdings (-18%) and Tattooed Chef (-23%).

Are many others still caught holding these conpanies, and if so are you going to continue to hold in the hope that the market improves in a few months or what are your plans?

Overall I have made about 2k since I have begun investing (as of today) but this was closer to 4k not that long ago. I know that is the story for lots of people here, and obviously by investing in more risky stocks there was always a chance I would lose money on them. I am comfortable enough in holding, but would equally sell up some of them if it made sense. Any thoughts welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Couple of my holdings been getting hammered the last while (like everyone I know) but looking for some peoples thoughts. Overall, I have about 10k invested since initially beginning investing 12 months ago. I own about 45 companies. After lots of initial success with companies like Nio (got in at around 10 dollars a share), Amazon (up 65%) , Twilio (72%), Berkshire Hathaway (52%), MGM Resorts, Snap (348%) Slack (73%), Zoom(104%) Hubspot (154%) Facebook (85%) and a few other major hits.

Around December, after seeing nearly everything in green I decided to become more bold ands start buying some SPACS and penny stocks as well as other speculative plays. Some which I am in are Argo (-30%), CCIV (- 42%) EROS (-44.5%) FRX -30%) Nano (-25%) GEVO (-12%) Tencent Holdings (-18%) and Tattooed Chef (-23%).

Are many others still caught holding these conpanies, and if so are you going to continue to hold in the hope that the market improves in a few months or what are your plans?

Overall I have made about 2k since I have begun investing (as of today) but this was closer to 4k not that long ago. I know that is the story for lots of people here, and obviously by investing in more risky stocks there was always a chance I would lose money on them. I am comfortable enough in holding, but would equally sell up some of them if it made sense. Any thoughts welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

cc87 wrote: »
    Another boost for OCGN.

New study showing it's effective against UK, India and Brazil variants https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ocugen-announces-studies-showing-covaxin-113000104.html

Up 10% pre-market, could push for a new ATH today.

All of yesterdays gains wiped today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭LC134

All of yesterdays gains wiped today :(

So painful to watch. I increased my position yesterday too. Could have saved 3k if the cash hadn’t cleared in the brokerage account so quickly !

On the plus side, at least there were gains to be wiped out...it was depressing being in the 5s with just a little profit. My average is about 6.40 a share but I’m in deep enough. Will take a good chunk at 25 if it gets there(!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭crushproof

buyer95 wrote: »

Sounds like a very similar portfolio to myself, took a gamble around the same time but I've been bleeding red for the past few months. Down 55% on a fairly large holding of CCIV and 45% on both GEVO and Nano. Other losses but they're the worst.

Thankfully made a decent amount on a gamble on Hertz last month which I sold last week. Of course its gone even higher since.

Overall portfolio gains have been wiped and from being a very satisfying and healthy 20% up I'm now 15% with a further dent today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Just opened the DEGIRO app. I want to cry, almost everything is red. Not opening it again until next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Tell me about it, CRSR had a bumper quarter and have raised guidance but they are down 5%

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

All things considered there, 2k on 10k so you beat SP benchmark, dont stress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Anyone else having problems with Degiro? There's some sort of glitch, everything is red.

Yah similar enough boat to myself, high water mark was mid-March, been on a dip since then. It's the price of admission of these growth stocks. Amazon, Netflix etc have all had 50-70% drops in their lifetime, if ya sold them on those drops you'd be kicking yourself.

Keep reading the news about the companies rather than looking at the share price. Argo had a trading update today if you want to reassure yourself on that

Don't sell at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

SmokyMo wrote: »
    All things considered there, 2k on 10k so you beat SP benchmark, dont stress.

I'd consider 20% up a great performance. I'm only 10% myself, been a rough few weeks. Was about 20% about a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bish76

More FROG, RDFN, LMND, TDOC for me to bring down BEP. Hopefully this strategy will work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

cronos wrote: »
    I'd consider 20% up a great performance. I'm only 10% myself, been a rough few weeks. Was about 20% about a month ago.

Exactly. Even the old crust buffet barely managed just over 10% annualized over his career if I remember right. People get lost in a sauce. You either investing or you trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭The wonderfish

Dare I say it but EDSA finally looks like breaking out, testing $7 and will be interesting to see if it breaks through today

bish76 wrote: »
    More FROG, RDFN, LMND, TDOC for me to bring down BEP. Hopefully this strategy will work for me.

What's your BEP on TDOC out of curiosity? I'm 180.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Trying to get a pullback on EGLX, Enthusiastic Gaming. They're in the eSports industry. This thread describes in better than I could...
    https://twitter.com/GRDecter/status/1388139239364300800

There's the 10% pullback I was looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bish76

cronos wrote: »
    What's your BEP on TDOC out of curiosity? I'm 180.

Currently 162.1

• Advertisement

bish76 wrote: »
    Currently 164.8

Seems quite safe. Bit worried about 180 personally. Seems the tide has turned.

Advertisement