Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

Folks, I'm following a good few Investment Trusts quite closely, I was thinking of setting up an investment trust watch thread (or something like that) and putting interesting articles and stuff as I find them in there, and others can do the same and chat about them, what do we think?

Great idea. B I'm trying to set up a saving/investment account for my god children and I think investment trusts area the best option.
    Unfortunately DeGiro don't currently do them

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Hi, I've been using revolut to buy US shares over the last year or so and I'm getting concerned with how low the dollar could fall relative to the euro. How would you guys recommend protecting against this risk? Only buy stocks in Euro? Only buy dollar stocks with large international business? I've begun the process of opening a degiro account so am assuming I'll have more options compared to revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

ceekay74 wrote: »
    Hi, I've been using revolut to buy US shares over the last year or so and I'm getting concerned with how low the dollar could fall relative to the euro. How would you guys recommend protecting against this risk? Only buy stocks in Euro? Only buy dollar stocks with large international business? I've begun the process of opening a degiro account so am assuming I'll have more options compared to revolut.

I think you're overthinking it tbh. 1 share still = 1 share and when you ultimately dispose of said shares and convert your $ to €, any slippage would be considered a cost for CGT purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The only way to completly avoid it is to buy stocks on Euro markets, but if the stock you like is in NYSE, I wouldn't worry about it. The growth in share price will cover any currency fluctuations

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

The transaction costs lower on USD stocks so that partly offsets. I am investing steadily over time mainly into use stocks. If Eur strengthens the buying power of my cash rises so offsets in part hit on monies already invested. I invest steadily so should average out.

• Advertisement

The transaction costs lower on USD stocks so that partly offsets. I am investing steadily over time mainly into use stocks. If Eur strengthens the buying power of my cash rises so offsets in part hit on monies already invested. I invest steadily so should average out.

I hadn't considered the transaction costs at all, thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

pioneerpro wrote: »

Yeah unsure of how long a hold they are, but delighted to have a position staked out with the recent uplisting in any case. These guys are serious and in the right space.

If you are interested in MNMD have a look at Clarify Pharma , due to list on AQSE London .

Founder is Johnathan Bixby of Argo Blockchain .

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210509005049/en/Clarify-Pharma-PLC-Intention-to-Float-on-AQSE-Growth-Market.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

PLTR turn today to take a kicking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

NVTA floating around a 12 month low

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

This is actually starting to hurt, everything red, again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

#diamondhands

It does hurt, in seriousness.

I'm trying to take solace in the fact that in the last two weeks I've bought amongst others, TDOC and Shop at 30 - 40% below ATH's. TDOC in particular I've been buying near the 52 week low.

No guarantees in anything of course but this is "sell in May" in action. As long as you're not trading in and out of positions everyday and have a decent 3-5 year holding period you'll be fine.

Even with the pipeline hack nearly all cyber security stocks down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

It does hurt, in seriousness.

I'm trying to take solace in the fact that in the last two weeks I've bought amongst others, TDOC and Shop at 30 - 40% below ATH's. TDOC in particular I've been buying near the 52 week low.

No guarantees in anything of course but this is "sell in May" in action. As long as you're not trading in and out of positions everyday and have a decent 3-5 year holding period you'll be fine.

My TDOC at 180 is definitely looking expensive. Although everything is looking oversold it appears growth stocks are getting revalued overall. Which a big concern to me anyway. Similar feelings for C3AI, STEM and Amarin.

Bought some BABA at 220, at least it seems stable enough.

cronos wrote: »
    My TDOC at 180 is definitely looking expensive. Although everything is looking oversold it appears growth stocks are getting revalued overall. Which a big concern to me anyway. Similar feelings for C3AI, STEM and Amarin.

Same BEP as myself. I'd be pretty confident in it but keep telling myself that if I want the potentially large gains then I have to accept the volatility that comes with it in the interim as we're seeing now, can't have one without the other.

Was tempted to buy MSFT or AAPL as safe haven bets but as another poster said a while back, you get enough exposure to them through your pension. Growth stocks it is!

Caved and bought some C3AI today @54.55.
    Was waiting till later in the year but there's as much chance of it going up in price as there is down even more at this stage

cc87 wrote: »
    Caved and bought some C3AI today @54.55.
    Was waiting till later in the year but there's as much chance of it going up in price as there is down even more at this stage

By BEP on C3AI is 63.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Anyone getting really pissed off with 4D? Absolutely zero traction since NASDAQ dual listing.

I'd sell but stubbornness is stopping me because I know if I do it will go up 50% in a week. If I ever do sell I'll be sure to let you know here so you can all fill your boots...

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Dipping toe into NOW. Been on watch list for while.

Bought a couple of TDOC puts just to help me sleep better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Gamma1

got a tip today from Boiler Room on BGFV on line sporting goods. The only green for me in acres of red

Gamma1 wrote: »
    got a tip today from Boiler Room on BGFV on line sporting goods. The only green for me in acres of red

Boiler room?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Boiler room?

Great DJ sets but I wouldn't trust them with stock tips...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

retalivity wrote: »
    Great DJ sets but I wouldn't trust them with stock tips...

Nightmares on wax was my favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Gamma1

Boiler Room Trading is on this https://discord.com/ and I signed up after an article in the Business Post. Its includes a course on Technical Analysis which I completed about 5% of the content and found it tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bish76

For the first time, I am actually in RED overall. And I borrowed the money from degiro to buy some dips last week. Now the game of patience starts..... while paying interest to degiro...... and keeping it secret from Mrs..

Summers !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

SPCE earnings tonight... I'm scared

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Trade Desk took a hell of a haircut today - down to the $400's from a high in the $900's - 25% down today alone.

Haven't looked through their results yet, headline is that they're doing a 10:1 stock split

$lotz, down nearly 8% for the day and now down a further 12% after earnings.

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    PLTR turn today to take a kicking

It's looking tempting to me lately. Might get some tomorrow.

Edit, great article on Palantir...
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/4426825-palantir-highly-favourable-reward-to-risk

This video about PTON was interesting too
    https://youtu.be/Apkuj7rnhx0

Advertisement