Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

To me this has really reinforced that I need to take some gains when they are on the table. Particularly with some of the more speculative investments. My CCIV is particularly difficult to look at at the moment.

I did this, unfortunately I then put the gains into other donkeys that have continued to fall...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

To me this has really reinforced that I need to take some gains when they are on the table. Particularly with some of the more speculative investments. My CCIV is particularly difficult to look at at the moment.

The problem that we all face, is that we always have at the back of our head that lad who made millions on Apple, Amazon, Tesla etc. I don't know about you but I get to 4x in an investment and always think that's only the start. I think my lesson learnt from this year is to keep a closer eye on PS Ratio, anything over 50 is unsustainable, probably anything over 35 really.

But then, I still have 5 in that category and am reluctant to sell (Crowdstrike, Cloudflare, Shopify, Lemonade, Snowflake)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭treatyman

Let's hope the wife doesn't say she needs that investment money any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

Alright I'm back - why is everything on fire.

PLUG/BE getting slaughtered like lambs, a -10% drop yesterday and the same in premarket on no news. Seems to be changing of the guard but greens/evs are still getting knocked on their arse. INRG is below 10euro. shocking stuff. They have to come back eventually.. so like 2 years time I reckon.

4D Pharma on a massive retrace at 93p now - once it hit the nasdaq it went all fart and no poo. But seem their pipeline looks great with some resuts due in June

MINDMED hit the Nasdaq popped beautifully then completely retraced,

Edesa still doesn't know what its doing but this is my banker but I've had so much money tied up in it I am starting to lose faith.

Apteryx had great earnings report so obviously its lost 8% since because logic.

I have a feeling the market will be like this until after the summer. If you're panic'ing I am now back in the red over all (all my gains for the last 3 years are gone). But yeah great fun gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Diamond Hands lads.

Don’t shoot me :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

If you had 1k sitting on the sidelines today considering the amount of blood where would you put it? This is me buying the dip for the 5th time.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

DutchYurt wrote: »
    Alright I'm back - why is everything on fire.

PLUG/BE getting slaughtered like lambs, a -10% drop yesterday and the same in premarket on no news. Seems to be changing of the guard but greens/evs are still getting knocked on their arse. INRG is below 10euro. shocking stuff. They have to come back eventually.. so like 2 years time I reckon.

4D Pharma on a massive retrace at 93p now - once it hit the nasdaq it went all fart and no poo. But seem their pipeline looks great with some resuts due in June

MINDMED hit the Nasdaq popped beautifully then completely retraced,

Edesa still doesn't know what its doing but this is my banker but I've had so much money tied up in it I am starting to lose faith.

Apteryx had great earnings report so obviously its lost 8% since because logic.

I have a feeling the market will be like this until after the summer. If you're panic'ing I am now back in the red over all (all my gains for the last 3 years are gone). But yeah great fun gang.

first it was the rates, now its inflation. also apparently hedge funds have be heavily shorting tech stocks this past month.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭caadmium

If you had 1k sitting on the sidelines today considering the amount of blood where would you put it? This is me buying the dip for the 5th time.

Well I just put it on PLTR

Hi everyone by the way. Lurker here since this time last year. Overall portfolio just went red today for the first time.

MoneyWeek magazine is really good, and I am sure it will try and explain some of todays 'fun'.

Just in case people are not aware, and seen as we are all poor now, you can get it for free if you are a member of the library. You can get it on the computer or I use the android "libby" app on my tablet. You can also get other magazines for free like the Economist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I doubled down on PLTR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

AirBNB getting close to under initial IPO prices

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

MoneyWeek magazine is really good, and I am sure it will try and explain some of todays 'fun'.

Just in case people are not aware, and seen as we are all poor now, you can get it for free if you are a member of the library. You can get it on the computer or I use the android "libby" app on my tablet. You can also get other magazines for free like the Economist.

+1

User interface is a nightmare though

+1

User interface is a nightmare though
    Headwrecking on the computer but I find the tablet alright, can't argue though seen as it's free!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I doubled down on PLTR.

I was hoping to get in if it had dropped to 15. Should have just bought on open. I'd be confident enough on that long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

cc87 wrote: »
    AirBNB getting close to under initial IPO prices

I just got in at 141

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Valhallapt wrote: »
    I just got in at 141

I think I have GTC at €140 :) fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

Boohoo... Queues at Pennies over here, people selling their queue place for money..
    Once named stores open up properly + Summer season (of which boohoo has bought out big names during the pandemic). I predict a riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

Treppen wrote: »
    Boohoo... Queues at Pennies over here, people selling their queue place for money..
    Once named stores open up properly + Summer season (of which boohoo has bought out big names during the pandemic). I predict a riot.

Means exactly sweet f-a to share price though - and I'd imagine the rotation/profit from these recovery stocks might be priced in already.

41% Growth vs Projected 25% won't do much for it - see:
    https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/soaring-profits-fail-boost-boohoo-093949820.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Is degiro broken?
    Am I actually in the green?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

retalivity wrote: »
    Is degiro broken?

No don't worry I'm still down. Less down than first thing this morning, but still well down.

• Advertisement

The Nasdaq suffered a 2-sigma loss today; the same day that 44% of S&P 500 stocks hit a 52-week high...the most since 1943.

https://twitter.com/sentimentrader/status/1392110819568095234

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

retalivity wrote: »
    Is degiro broken?

I'm in the green as well, wonders never cease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

I'd need around four more days like this to get out from underwater, not excited at all yet. A nice reprieve all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpfm

pioneerpro wrote: »
    The Nasdaq suffered a 2-sigma loss today; the same day that 44% of S&P 500 stocks hit a 52-week high...the most since 1943.

https://twitter.com/sentimentrader/status/1392110819568095234

Can you explain that to a noob?

Cpfm wrote: »
    Can you explain that to a noob?

The NASDAQ suffered losses two standard deviations from the mean today - but nearly half the stocks in the S&P 500 also record a 52 week high.

I'm honestly not sure I could explain this to anyone, least of all myself. Last time this happened was apparently 1943.

In short, small caps are decimated but the indexes have (relatively) barely suffered. Bloomberg Terminal data suggests that today also saw the single bout of concentrated selling pressure in history on NYS. Very noticeable is a *hell* of a lot of short-covering in growth-tech by the hedges. ARKK earnings/webinar today and they're somehow up, despite being shorted into the ground. Same can be seen with Crowdstrike and stuff like Bill.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpfm

The NASDAQ suffered losses two standard deviations from the mean today - but nearly half the stocks in the S&P 500 also record a 52 week high.

I'm honestly not sure I could explain this to anyone, least of all myself. Last time this happened was apparently 1943.

In short, small caps are decimated but the indexes have (relatively) barely suffered. Bloomberg Terminal data suggests that today also saw the single bout of concentrated selling pressure in history on NYS. Very noticeable is a *hell* of a lot of short-covering in growth-tech by the hedges. ARKK earnings/webinar today and they're somehow up, despite being shorted into the ground. Same can be seen with Crowdstrike and stuff like Bill.com.

Thanks.. I've a lot to learn about the markets, but this kinda makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Something along the lines that mathematically you would expect 95.4% of returns to be within + or - 2 standard deviations from the mean

So a 2 sigma event just means it's a very occurrence, like out of 100 days you'd only expect this to happen once

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

RedRochey wrote: »
    Something along the lines that mathematically you would expect 95.4% of returns to be within + or - 2 standard deviations from the mean

So a 2 sigma event just means it's a very occurrence, like out of 100 days you'd only expect this to happen once

Wouldnt that be under assumption that distribution is gaussian which it is not in financial markets. so I think that expectation would be technically incorrect?
    but then capital markets are running off models which do not represent reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Bought some Danaos this evening, shipping container company who has been flying it last 6months (big shortage of shipping containers post covid. Earnings today, they are in a good position but immediately selloff, so good time to get in at 56. I was in at 26 6months ago but sold out at 32 ugh ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Green today, Pelaton with a nice bounce

Advertisement