Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

circadian wrote: »
    I think the crypto market is very similar to the fiat market at the minute.

LOTS of speculative buys without any actual product then a few currencies that actually have functions on the blockchain that have some value or merit. The amount of biopharm companies running on pipedreams is unreal. Sure some will make it but most will eventually bottom out and probably stay there.

Both markets are open to manipulation via social media, Elon Musk has shown this and I don't doubt for a second the hedge funds have hired people to pump and manipulate on the likes of twitter and reddit. It's definitely going to get messy.
    Buffet made a very good point at his meeting the other week. Basically he said that if you had a vision of the future in the early 1900s you would have seen that it was dominated by cars, and known this would be a massive industry. He then dug out some examples and basically said of all the car companies, thousands, at around the beginning of the 20th century, all are gone except for three, so if you had known cars were going to be massive, and picked a few companies, you probably would have lost money. Not everyone would have plumped for Ford.

I think there is something similar happening today where there are areas that we know will be massive, but lots are betting on companies in these industries that will come to nothing and only one or two will make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

cc87 wrote: »

Similar price target was made a few weeks ago. No action yet that I can see. 3-4x if that is to be believed. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Bit more green today for myself so far, bought some stuff in the flash sale already.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

weemcd wrote: »
    Similar price target was made a few weeks ago. No action yet that I can see. 3-4x if that is to be believed. Fingers crossed.

Yeah in a similar Biotech, SEEL was given a PT of about $14 @ $2.89 a few weeks back and has gone up to about 5$ and retraced a bit. Shortvolume is low on it too. Not sure what kind of timelines they have in mind for these PTs tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

weemcd wrote: »

TBH I don't pay much attention to the analysts PT as often they tend to be more reactionary to the market than to a companies actual potential.

In this case I just like the fact that 4D is getting some attention in the US. Any attention there at the moment is good I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭crushproof

My portfolio is far too tech heavy and continuously falling. No escape from it anytime soon by the looks.

Feels worse than than the crash last March. At least that was sudden with a quick rebound!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

$MILE dropping below $7. Madness that it was $19 3 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

sirboby wrote: »
    $MILE dropping below $7. Madness that it was $19 3 months ago

I sold in the low 7's about a month ago. Regretted it. Even though it's less now, I'd probably though this out. Let's pray for a big reversal! If anyone is sitting on the sidelines in cash, now is a good time to buy in general I think. Baba's results don't really mean they should have dropped in my eyes for example.

Same for Skillz, back where I sold it last time and it turned.

Seem to be losing a consistent 1% of my portfolio a day for the last 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

cronos wrote: »

Tey crypto, I'm down 12% today alone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭John.burke

crushproof wrote: »
    My portfolio is far too tech heavy and continuously falling. No escape from it anytime soon by the looks.

Feels worse than than the crash last March. At least that was sudden with a quick rebound!

The only worse feeling would be selling and witnessing another (albeit slower than 2020) rebound- this alone should be encouragement to weather it out unless
    you need the funds for elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

I wouldn't be holding my breath for a rebound in a lot of them growth stocks. The likes of Palantir Technologies had so much hype it went to unreal valuations. I'm not saying its a bad company but with a market cap of £35 billion, $1.1 billion in revenue and a net loss of $125million it still has plenty room to fall more and stay down for a long time.
    It's the same for hundreds of other so-called growth stocks

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bish76

Okay, I have another 5000 to spend and every stock I have is RED. Where would you spend if you were in my situation ?
    Will appreciate every bit of advice.

BABA (-10%)
    BEP (-8%)
    FROG (-18%)
    LMND (-40%) this is 20% of portfolio
    MILE (-22%)
    Netflix (-4%) this is another 20% of portfolio
    Redfin (-23%)
    Relief thera (-17%)
    TDOC (-16%)

Overall I am down by 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bish76

I wouldn't be holding my breath for a rebound in a lot of them growth stocks.
    They may not reach previous heights but some recovery will allow to sell few of them at BEP and rest I will be holding to balance out CGT in future.

bish76 wrote: »
    Okay, I have another 5000 to spend and every stock I have is RED. Where would you spend if you were in my situation ?

BABA (-10%)
    BEP (-8%)
    FROG (-18%)
    MILE (-22%)
    Redfin (-23%)
    Relief thera (-17%)
    TDOC (-16%)

Overall I am down by 10%

Hard to know without knowing what percentage 5k is worth, but I'm averaging down on TDOC, BABA, C3AI, Paysafe.

Scratch that. 2% down.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

BABA (-10%)
    BEP (-8%)
    FROG (-18%)
    MILE (-22%)
    Redfin (-23%)
    Relief thera (-17%)
    TDOC (-16%)

Overall I am down by 10%
    I just topped up on BABA, AbNB & TDOC. GTC set on Draftings and Crowdstrike.
    If an overall drop is coming MSFT and Goog. BMS and ABBV in pharma.

Tey crypto, I'm down 12% today alone :(

If it helps I'm down 10% on coinbase. Bought that at $292

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

BABA (-10%)
    BEP (-8%)
    FROG (-18%)
    MILE (-22%)
    Redfin (-23%)
    Relief thera (-17%)
    TDOC (-16%)

Overall I am down by 10%

I don't want to sound to preachy but I used to hold stocks and regularly check price then I read some advice to buy stocks that you would be happy to hold forever and i think it'd good advice . All the stocks I hold now I'm not touching for 20 years .

• Advertisement

new2tri19 wrote: »
    I don't want to sound to preachy but I used to hold stocks and regularly check price then I read some advice to buy stocks that you would be happy to hold forever and i think it'd good advice . All the stocks I hold now I'm not touching for 20 years .

The world changes a lot in 20 years. Nokia would have seemed a solid pick any time in the mid to late 90's for example.

The world changes a lot in 20 years. Nokia would have seemed a solid pick any time in the mid to late 90's for example.

Kodak, Polaroid, Palm, Iomega, Blockbuster, Maplin... I could honestly go on all day with this list :D

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

That's the great thing about investing everyone can have a different return with different opinions. We won't know who was more successful for a long time .

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

BABA (-10%)
    BEP (-8%)
    FROG (-18%)
    MILE (-22%)
    Redfin (-23%)
    Relief thera (-17%)
    TDOC (-16%)

Overall I am down by 10%

I like amazon, google, Facebook, servicenow, veeva, tsmc, salesforce the most right now. Dripping a little into Splunk and Pinterest too. Amazon only one of those I don't own. I'm not setup for fractinal shares and so one amazon would be bit concentrated for me. Also like Berkshire B for diversification but it has got good bit dearer lately.

High Tide did a 15:1 Reverse split today! Should see it already on the Canadian listing, unfortunately FRA had a bloody suspension of trading for indefinite time due to delayed corporate action...

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

BABA (-10%)
    BEP (-8%)
    FROG (-18%)
    MILE (-22%)
    Redfin (-23%)
    Relief thera (-17%)
    TDOC (-16%)

Overall I am down by 10%

What about some boring stoxk like axalta coating systems? Or better still PPG they are a great plc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Disney down to $171 after hours on the back of Q2 earnings results today. Has dropped quite a bit recently. Have a small position in it and not tempted to sell

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭treatyman

Musk seems to be siding with Dogecoin. You'd think he alone could bring this crypto to the fore. Was tempted with the resent price drop but didn't go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭riddles

Ark ETF is down something like 40% YTD - if that folds we’ll see a further dramatic tumble on growth stocks. With exception of PLTR I exited everything she was buying as it stopped making sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

riddles wrote: »
    Ark ETF is down something like 40% YTD - if that folds we’ll see a further dramatic tumble on growth stocks. With exception of PLTR I exited everything she was buying as it stopped making sense.

You think the businesses they're invested in don't make sense? :confused:

Advertisement