Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bawnBeag

pioneerpro wrote: »
    Never thought I'd be coming around to this in 2021 but... anyone holding FORD?

I'm getting very very bullish on them since the Mach E, and the F-150 news seems to be received incredibly well. Thinking of an entry point of $13 and a PT of about $18 in 2021

One of my speculative buys from last March/April up 110% since then:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I think everyone overhyped the whole "Tesla/Lucid/Nikola will wipe the floor with these legacy companies". Truth be told, it was a lot easier for a Ford/Kia/Volkswagen to insert a battery into their existing supply chain, brand and customer base than to build it from scratch. Most of the EV SPACs will be gone by 2025 I reckon, or at the very elast be a niche player.

Yea to me a Tesla short seems the clever move long term but I've been saying that for about 4 years and I'd have been absolutely wiped out in the interim if I had done it. Safer definitely to back a (can't believe I'm saying this) lower market cap stock like Ford, VW, Kia.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

https://www.yahoo.com/now/seelos-therapeutics-receives-european-orphan-110000683.html

Delighted that SEEL is back running again.

Who were my RLF/BRPA/NRPX boys here btw? Did you know that they're now working on a vaccine as well... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I think everyone overhyped the whole "Tesla/Lucid/Nikola will wipe the floor with these legacy companies". Truth be told, it was a lot easier for a Ford/Kia/Volkswagen to insert a battery into their existing supply chain, brand and customer base than to build it from scratch. Most of the EV SPACs will be gone by 2025 I reckon, or at the very elast be a niche player.

Lucid really live in hope of becoming the "Apple Car" in the same way Apple bought Beats by Dre. Have concerns if that isn't going to happen. Yesterday's UX event didn't add much to me. Thinking about selling when I hit break even at 22. Or at least make it a much smaller part of my portfolio.

Not buying ford either though for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

cronos wrote: »
    Lucid really live in hope of becoming the "Apple Car" in the same way Apple bought Beats by Dre. Have concerns if that isn't going to happen. Yesterday's UX event didn't add much to me. Thinking about selling when I hit break even at 22. Or at least make it a much smaller part of my portfolio.

Not buying ford either though for now.

Yesterday seemed to say we can do what every car in a similar price range can do but with a big screen and an app.

Oh and face recognition.

• Advertisement

FWIW, McClellan Market Report is calling for blood in the streets going into the weekend, with the market bottoming out sometime around the 8th June. Indices correcting, 10y up, all the rest. Make of it what you will.

Bought some Ford stock, have been looking at it a while, was really impressed with the unvealing of the all electric F150 Lightning, it will cost around $40k and be released next year. If they can roll out this tech througout their fleet it will be very popular with consumers, particularly at a reasonable price point.

Only caught this going back through the thread looking for something else. $2 +ev a share in 5d. Superbly called.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Yea to me a Tesla short seems the clever move long term but I've been saying that for about 4 years and I'd have been absolutely wiped out in the interim if I had done it. Safer definitely to back a (can't believe I'm saying this) lower market cap stock like Ford, VW, Kia.

I thought the same too but if tesla crack full self driving in the next 5 years(which I wouldn't bet against) those shorts are doomed

Got out at 27.50ish from AMC this evening. 13.76 BEP; I've had my fun. I think we'll see it go below 15 next week tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Got out at 27.50ish from AMC this evening. 13.76 BEP; I've had my fun. I think we'll see it go below 15 next week tbh.

I’m still in and have been since February. No way I’m backing out now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Has anyone looked at Ectech (EQT.L)?

Irish waste to energy company. Currently @1.5p, down 9% today due to share offering.
    Has about 60 projects in the pipeline around Europe and expects to become profitable this year.

12m high of 3p in January.

Looks a good speculative buy but I have enough of them already unfortunately!

Not available on Degiro though I think

I’m still in and have been since February. No way I’m backing out now.

I'm still holding GME and Sundial, just think there's a lot of volume needed for AMC to see anything past 40 and it was tapering off in favour of GME last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

I'm still holding GME and Sundial, just think there's a lot of volume needed for AMC to see anything past 40 and it was tapering off in favour of GME last night.

AMC traded in bigger volume than tesla yesterday. Its up another 30% today.

I still have some lingering position left in meme stocks, hopefully this coming wave will give me a change to exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭treatyman

We are flying it today lads. Anyone taking profits?

Quick question, when you sell shares and trigger CGT, do you ever sell stock not doing so well to ensure you maximise your 1,250 euro tax free amount?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

treatyman wrote: »

Quick question, when you sell shares and trigger CGT, do you ever sell stock not doing so well to ensure you maximise your 1,250 euro tax free amount?

I'm long term. Taking profits means dealing with tax.

DCA'd the one or two bits doing red. I'm seeing +15% on Hightide and near 3% and 10% on Tilray and Sundial for the weed stonks, but the only one I'd be trimming is Sundial because its a meme and theta-gang favourite for wheeling so tends to yo-yo.

Hightide in particular absolutely lifting today on uplisting news.
    May 28 (Reuters) - High Tide Inc :

HIGH TIDE INC - CO'S APPLICATION TO LIST ITS COMMON SHARES ON NASDAQ HAS BEEN APPROVED
    HIGH TIDE INC - SHARES ARE EXPECTED TO BEGIN TRADING ON NASDAQ UNDER TICKER SYMBOL "HITI" ON JUNE 2, 2021

Talked about it a fair bit here before. Still cheap imo.
    14/05/2021 High Tide, in contrast, is a retail play. They've both the #1 and #2 eCommerce Paraphenalia stores, all the important celebrity tie-ins outside of GRAMF, and the most vertical integration of any of them. They're a play that will run on sentiment with federalisation, without being exposed to the sort of downsides that Aurora endured.

Granted, I am a little worried about pullback - a bit like the MindMed uplisting - but this is a very high conviction play for me long. They've done absolutely everything right and positioned themselves very well for the next decade.

Nice to see LMND wake up again after it's collapse. Bought at 63 last year, up 50% in the last two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

Still underwater but only by 2.5%, was down 15% a couple of weeks ago, maybe even as recently as last week.

Been buying TDOC, LMND, ABNB, U and TTD on the dip.

Keeping an eye on SNOW and NVDA, have been looking to add the latter to my portfolio for ages. Snow valuation is a bit mad but might look a steal 5+ years from now.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Nice to see LMND wake up again after it's collapse. Bought at 63 last year, up 50% in the last two weeks.

A lot of that stuff was crazy oversold. FROG and PLTR doing some business now too. Anyone with faith for calls and enough of a bankroll the last month is making bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Up over 100% on AMC so sold off half of what I have and will let the rest do what it wants now. Originally bought in at 14.77 and didn't think I'd see the day that price would double,

• Advertisement

Dumped Sundial at 0.96 from 0.73

seems most stocks started dipping around the same time today.....profit taking or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

bawnBeag wrote: »
    seems most stocks started dipping around the same time today.....profit taking or something else?

Memorial day weekend, so market closed on Monday? Options probably expiring tonight also.

weemcd wrote: »
    Memorial day weekend, so market closed on Monday? Options probably expiring tonight also.

Yeah, that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

Weedstocks on the way back ... Or is everything picking up in general?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

I do sell the looser all the time. I'm less likely to sell the winner. It kinda goes against your instincts to hold on to the losing trade in the hope of it bouncing back but with practice it gets easier to sell them and take the loss.

And yes it is good practice to be able to offset the gains against the losses to minimize the tax bill. A really stupid move would be to sell in profit, hold the looser and then get hit with tax on the profit while you have loss making positions.

I do sell the looser all the time. I'm less likely to sell the winner. It kinda goes against your instincts to hold on to the losing trade in the hope of it bouncing back but with practice it gets easier to sell them and take the loss.

And yes it is good practice to be able to offset the gains against the losses to minimize the tax bill. A really stupid move would be to sell in profit, hold the looser and then get hit with tax on the profit while you have loss making positions.

Surely it doesn't really matter?

If you held the loser, when you sell you can offset against tax anyways.

I wouldn't sell a loser if I think it's going to increase and I wouldn't either for a winner if I think it'll increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

It matters in the tax year you make a profit, you cannot sell the looser the following tax year and then try and offset it against a profit you had made,
    whereas you can sell a looser and make a loss then carry that loss forward into subsequent tax years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭crushproof

cc87 wrote: »
    Has anyone looked at Ectech (EQT.L)?

Irish waste to energy company. Currently @1.5p, down 9% today due to share offering.
    Has about 60 projects in the pipeline around Europe and expects to become profitable this year.

12m high of 3p in January.

Looks a good speculative buy but I have enough of them already unfortunately!

Not available on Degiro though I think

Huh I had no idea they were Irish. Have a small holding since the start of year. Bought in at 2.1p so down a bit but I expect good returns in due course. A long term hold for sure as they have some very promising projects lined up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Last week I bought $IPOE Sofi .Next week it's ticker will change.. 1stJune

"Social Finance, Inc. (commonly known as SoFi) is an American online personal finance company. A mobile-first service based in San Francisco, SoFi provides a suite of financial products that includes student loan refinancing, mortgages, personal loans, credit card, investing and banking through both their mobile app and desktop interfaces."

Advertisement