Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Its going nowhere fast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

SPCE daily chart actually looks like a rocket taking off, am afraid we are in the middle of a blow off top here, its just all too insane.
    Its another one with huge (81% ) short interest also.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bodjhrjekekr

It's not really got anything to do with that? Those investing at the moment don't care, its not for long term holding. Explained here https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55817918

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

Revenue went up. Cost of running brick and mortar stores will drop as they close them. Deals with MS and Sony to get a cut of online content delivery.

Granted it's not worth what it's at now but writing off the company without looking beyond "they lost x amount" is a bit silly. It's about looking at potential growth long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭positron

I don't have any GME shares, and I am dead jealous of anyone who got in earlier on and held on to them - BUT - would the eventual crash of GME pyramid take down every stock as well?

Is it safer to cash in TSLA etc for a few weeks and wait and watch..!

I guess, nobody knows....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

Supercell wrote: »
    SPCE daily chart actually looks like a rocket taking off, am afraid we are in the middle of a blow off top here, its just all too insane.

Yeah the bubble has been expanding for the last year or so. Might make it until the end of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

crushproof wrote: »
    What the reason for the jump today?

Elon Musk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

VinLieger wrote: »
    They are shorted to 139%, this isnt about people investing in Gamestop the company, its about fvcking the greedy hedge funds who shorted it to 139% of its total shares.

It's probably a little about that and a lot about using randomers on the internet to make oneself a quick buck. I feel bad for the last ones who'll pile in right before the arse falls out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,911 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

circadian wrote: »
    Revenue went up. Cost of running brick and mortar stores will drop as they close them. Deals with MS and Sony to get a cut of online content delivery.

Granted it's not worth what it's at now but writing off the company without looking beyond "they lost x amount" is a bit silly. It's about looking at potential growth long term.

Revenue in 2016 was $ 9.3 billion. 6.4 last year.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭heffo500

Does any closeout and reopen their positions to take advantage of the yearly €1270 CGT exemption?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭riddles

positron wrote: »
    I don't have any GME shares, and I am dead jealous of anyone who got in earlier on and held on to them - BUT - would the eventual crash of GME pyramid take down every stock as well?

If you think 135 years future profit baked into Tesla's share price is a good idea then its a strong hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

was AMC as heavily shorted as GME ?

buyer95 wrote: »
    Elon Musk.

Social media in general - reddit, twitter, eg this guys tweets seem to be followed, take a look at the NAKD stock now:

https://twitter.com/MrZackMorris/status/1354449981135073287

Mad_maxx wrote: »

No heres the short interest rates: https://www.highshortinterest.com/all/

Virgin galactic stocks increased a lot too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Not to the same levels afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Social media in general - reddit, twitter, eg this guys tweets seem to be followed, take a look at the NAKD stock now:

https://twitter.com/MrZackMorris/status/1354449981135073287

Reddit and social media drove it to 150 or whatever it closed at yesterday , from 20 dollars (which is where reddit started talking about it.) Musk tweeted and it went crazy in after hours trading. He moved the needle.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cal naughton

NOK suspended. Up 39%

buyer95 wrote: »
    Reddit and social media drove it to 150 or whatever it closed at yesterday , from 20 dollars (which is where reddit started talking about it.) Musk tweeted and it went crazy in after hours trading. He moved the needle.

It wasnt just Musk, one of the Winklevoss twins and another dude started the frenzy once it closed yesterday, Musk tweeted about an hour later and it just sped it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

In other share news today....
    Fubo +29%
    Fastly +13%
    Lemonade +13%

It's not all about AMC/GME

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

I started investing last year after deciding money in the bank was doing nothing for me. Currently +7.3% (although was over 9% until WSB happened).

Avoided the chaos of this week largely except to buy some of the stocks that dropped as a result.

Current Portfolio:

INAQ (metromile) - Will see how this goes around the merger date and sell some but likely keep majority long term. metromile have real growth potential with their system along with only being in 8 states currently.
    BFT (Paysafe) - Similar to above.
    UWMC - It's been too cheap not to buy more since the merger, earnings next week should increase this. All going to plan should be nice dividend stock also.
    OCGN - Covaxin punt. Small holding if it pays off will return massively, if not it's a small loss.
    GEVO - Bought and sold some off with close to initial investment returned. Will keep the rest to see where it goes
    AMD - Bought a small amount the dip today, will keep long term. Possibly add more on dips
    PSTH - Only SPAC I own without a confirmed target. Complete silence from Ackman on this but will keep until target announced at least.
    PLTR - Have sold off a third of my stocks here at peak. Will hold long term and trim when it grows.
    DDDD.L - Currently down on initial investment. But very undervalued UK based pharma company. Should see growth once LOAC/DDDD NASDAQ listing takes place (Supposed to be Q1). Company themselves in late stages of a number of high value products.
    IAG.L - Bought near their lowest and will hold to see where it goes.

Plus a few other minor holdings that were mainly punts: STOB.L, BT.A-L, AML.L, HAT.L
    All currently green but will probably sell them all once they plateau.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭jams100

Shedite27 wrote: »
    In other share news today....
    Fubo +29%
    Fastly +13%
    Lemonade +13%

It's not all about AMC/GME

BORING! :D

Nokia up 84%!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Underground

Thanks dude. Had 60 quid in my Degiro account doing nothing. May as well throw it on this.

Lol 75% gain within an hour. If only I'd thrown more than spare change at it.

jams100 wrote: »

Nokia up 84%!!!

This is insane, I'm up over 400 quid in the last hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

Lol 75% gain within an hour. If only I'd thrown more than spare change at it.

AMC looks like its getting under presure, high volumn of sells

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Telo123

Amc halted again

• Advertisement

MikeSoys wrote: »
    AMC looks like its getting under presure, high volumn of sells

Yeah I might buy in a small bit if it drops before close just in case we see another after hours rally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

jams100 wrote: »

Nokia up 84%!!!
    I bought a dip on Nokia, in at $6.90

Let's see that go 200% tomorrow :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

TDAmeritrade announcement

In the interest of mitigating risk for our company and clients, we have put in place several restrictions on some transactions in $GME, $AMC and other securities. We made these decisions out of an abundance of caution amid unprecedented market conditions and other factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    TDAmeritrade announcement

In the interest of mitigating risk for our company and clients, we have put in place several restrictions on some transactions in $GME, $AMC and other securities. We made these decisions out of an abundance of caution amid unprecedented market conditions and other factors.

Elon wont be happy with that :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

SPY almost down 2% , haven't seen that since last March, more confidant of holding what i have than then, could get real ugly in the pumped to heaven stocks though.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Trading 212 down again ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shennymulligan

The ironic thing about this WSB/'to the moon' movement is they are unwittingly acheiving the opposite of what they are setting out to do.

Market inefficiences will benefit the institutional investment firms. Institutional traders with their armies of quantitative analysts and arificial intelligence are probably already, as we post, backtesting new strategies to profit from this new market behaviour.

They will find a strategy that works, feed it into the algo trader, and cash in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

Chamath sold GME that he invested in yesterday hence the fall

Donating 500k profits but made a killing in one day

JeffKenna wrote: »
    But if the company is more than 100% shorted will a lot of buyers be closing their positions?

If I understand it right, serious losses for short sellers here. They might be better to hold tough and wait for the madness to end. I find it hard to think that those pumping the stock will keep buying. Those in the background holding stocks all along, will keep selling at those prices. It's a question of which army runs out of ammunition first.

The whole thing is mad. Its like an online revolution against Wall Street.

The whole thing is mad. Its like an online revolution against Wall Street.

Finally you get it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

I knew I should had sold at 350!! Went to greedy...

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

See when someone says it's shorted to 139%, what does that mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Can i ask, i use degiro , what exchanges do you currently buy on . I note that the Frankfurt exchange is fairly hefty on the transaction fees vs NYSE or similar.

If you buy NYSE shares are you liable for any extra costs when selling the shares outside of the inevitable currency issues and CGT on profits ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

CRSR, WKHS, RIDE all flying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,066 ✭✭✭✭neris

Can i ask, i use degiro , what exchanges do you currently buy on . I note that the Frankfurt exchange is fairly hefty on the transaction fees vs NYSE or similar.

If you buy NYSE shares are you liable for any extra costs when selling the shares outside of the inevitable currency issues and CGT on profits ?

the shares trade in 2 different currencies tough and dont necessarily follow the same trend or pace of trend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

awec wrote: »
    See when someone says it's shorted to 139%, what does that mean?
    My basic understanding is when shorting shares they are "borrowed" from investment banks , financial institutions or similar for a period of time. The person shorting it believes the share price will go down before the expiration date. So they sell the shares at current market price but will buy them back and return to the lender at the expiration date. If the share price goes up before the expiration date then the short seller is liable for difference as they must return the shares at any cost essentially.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/shortselling.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

positron wrote: »

I would say there's a chance market will dip a little ....I'm expecting market correction sooner...

GME is tanking

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

My basic understanding is when shorting shares they are "borrowed" from investment banks , financial institutions or similar for a period of time. The person shorting it believes the share price will go down before the expiration date. So they sell the shares at current market price but will buy them back and return to the lender at the expiration date. If the share price goes up before the expiration date then the short seller is liable for difference as they must return the shares at any cost essentially.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/shortselling.asp

I know what shorting is, I was just wondering what the 139% bit is about.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Finally you get it

I got it all along. But the revolutionaries won't win, because the stock (GME) is worthless. That's why it was shorted so much, to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Is anyone else here experiencing difficulties selling gme on trading212?

dan786 wrote: »
    GME is tanking

Holding at 300 for now

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Fazorb

dan786 wrote: »
    GME is tanking

No its not

Fazorb wrote: »
    No its not

Yeah up again, wonder when it will end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Fruks

awec wrote: »
    I know what shorting is, I was just wondering what the 139% bit is about.

It means that 139% of the float is sold short, in other words the equivalent of the entire float shares in GME plus 39%. This would seem to indicate that they were naked shorts, which is why the bloodbath for them has been quite so bad as it has.

Advertisement