Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Chinese Whospers, I am a user of Motley Fool and have had some good results.

Did you join up with the canadian branch.

I would like to know the name of the crypto tip they have but dont want another subscription

Thanks

ASML is my long term safety harbour - should be good for a few years. Took a dip recently.

No, just saw the article from a search. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Was looking at ASOS at the start of the year but thankfully didn't buy in at the time, but kept an eye on them. Decided to DCA in on Friday after you mentioned it, now up 7%! Great call!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Yeah its a long therm hold for me, didn't expect a bounce this quick though!

• Advertisement

I might put a sell order in at 40. I think there is a good chance it will recover to this point but not sure how much further it would go after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Cloudflare is on an extraordinary run.

16 shares @88

Up 60% this month!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I sold up yesterday on it, the Price/Sales ratio is getting silly, and it was very extended past all the averages. Missed the boat on a few vey extended stocks last year that are still down 50% from the highs. I'll buy back in a few months if it comes back a bit.

BABA up another 6% today.

After being down nearly 30% on it a couple weeks ago, now down just 11.4%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Glad it's turning around for you guys! Seems to have been plenty of people horsing into it on the discord a few weeks ago, happy to see it on the way back up a bit now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Still kicking myself for selling the 80 shares I had for 109$ back in July, I thought it was overbought then and that I'd get back in at 80 again, instead it's took off hahha. Broke my rule of thumb that I only take off half the position however.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,790 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ya, I bought BABA in the dip at $143.7. Waiting to see did BUffett buy any BABA during the last quarter. 13F filings should be out soon.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Someone mentioned ABF recently, they popped up on my radar as being down 17% on their 200 day moving average. Is there a brexit risk associated here? Don't they own Spar Europe wide?

Another on the list that have taken a haircut recently, that I am interested in is Anheuser Busch/Inbev.

ASOS i'm already in again, 4D I've enough exposure of. May average down LMND and CPNG.

Intel (INTC) down 8.5% today on news of lower earnings. If it goes to $40 or so, you'd tempted to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,211 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Would you though? Intel haven't really gone anywhere in recent times. It may be a very long hold .

Market Share - Intel have 75% to 25% for AMD for x86 laptop central processing units (CPUs) worldwide.

Market Cap for Intel $200B versus €120B for AMD. If the stock price of Intel goes low enough, it becomes good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭jams100

No they don't own SPAR.

They own Primark. Which now have 400 stores (Extra 25 since covid started), expanded into and expanding in US. (They also own grocery brands like Twining's, Ovaltine and Kingsmill as well as a few sugar factories and an ingredients and agriculture division...revenues mainly generated from Primark though ).

Very fairly valued imo at 12x forward earnings, my second biggest position.

Good free cash flow (~1B in 2020, plenty of cash on hand and I wouldn't be surprised if they announced a share buyback at their year end earnings on 9th Nov given the current share price).

I do wish they were a little more aggressive in acquiring other brands but I guess its also good they aren't making rash decisions. You won't get rapid growth with this one, but I think its a safe long term bet. (Would be a little concerned in the short term about the shipping costs for them even though the CFO said it wasn't going to have a big impact to Christmas sales on their last earnings call, also long term their lack of an online presence might be an issue, but they've avoided online to keep prices low for consumers and to maintain their margin, which has worked to date).

I Like Intel around current prices and initiated a position on the back of their earnings last week. (The semi conductor market is growing and is estimated to be $600B by 2025)

Their margins are going down for the right reasons (to compete and invest in R&D), and they are still estimating 51-53% gross margin over the next 2-3 years, just a bit worse than their 5 year gross margin of 60%. But, due to expand that margin again after 2 to 3 years.

They are doing what they have to do to compete with AMD which is create better chips, they are spending 25-28B in CapEx next year, they can only do this because they have such a good balance sheet. Oh, and you'll collect a ~2.5% dividend while you wait. (Also the US and EU now want to have more control over where chips are developed, intel will be one of the beneficiaries of this with increased subsidies etc.). A long term investment for me, also own Nvidia, I think there can be a few winners here, I just like Intel because its valued very reasonably in comparison to AMD for example.

Jeez, Tesla gone to € 1,050 today. Mad.

I don't understand it. It's like 5 times the value of Pepsi or Coca Cola or Intel.

• Advertisement

Ya, it's crazy. I think a lot of it has to do with access to online brokerages like DeGiro, Robinhood etc. Ordinary people are looking at Tesla and see a 'Good' company but don't know how to put a value on a stock price. So much of it's pricing is based on huge future growth and that's almost impossible to estimate. It's not like the other car companies are going to just walk away.

As Buffett keep saying about investing 'A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush'. I've always took this to mean that you should look at what a company is doing now or has done in the past, rather than what it may do in the future. Cathy Woods seems to be the polar opposite of this. She is big into huge potential growth stocks. I know who I'd like to put my money on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Tesla is the reason I think ESG investing is a bubble. Every investment company at the moment is pushing "invest in green" agenda, more money wants to get invested ends up invested in green companies. There's not enough true green companies so more money to Tesla

You can't apply rational logic to a stock thats trading irrationally. It won't work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

You mention Cathie Woods. She has been selling Tesla pretty much every day for the past couple of weeks. Obviously, there could be technical reasons for that, or maybe its as simple as she see's it as overvalued.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭p to the e

I read this summary somewhere which puts the madness into perspective; "an order worth 10 billion by a company that was nearly bankrupt (Hertz) added 100 billion to Tesla's market cap".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Hard to agree that ESG is a bubble. ESG considerations are becoming the norm in investment restrictions lists when mandating managers setting up funds. It's becoming far more prevalent that investors are focussing on this, with managers committing to agreements on ESG scorecards, monitoring and reporting in target investments.

I think Ark has rules on the maximum % one stock can be in their funds so if the stock increases over that amount they have to sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Bought a few Visa ($V) today. Its down 10% in last 2 days, going to take a risk that the SEC investigation will be just a slap on the wrist. Its a proper blue chip company and a money making machine. Long term hold for me.

Picked up a few Beam Therapeutics ($BEAM) and Riskified ($RSKD) ...just speculative starting positions, both are getting tipped by various "Experts" (we'll see just what those tips are worth 🙄).

Ouch, glad I reduced my Amazon position before close (although wish I reduced it more). Got scalded last earnings and wasn't going to let it happen again. I think it will recover somewhat tomorrow though.

• Advertisement

Have a bad gut feeling about things at the moment. TSLA at insane valuation. BRK.A is doing wacky things after hours, supposedly last seen just before the 08 crash, shaky ER's from Apple/Amazon

Advertisement