Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Getting worried about rising rates.

That's all.

This new variant, with stories coming out that it's very mild, may signal the end of the pandemic and lead to rising rates.

As Buffett has said for years and years..."interest rates are to asset prices what gravity is to matter."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Anyone Chance some pypl shares? Price has dropped 40% recently. Price dropped when rumours spread about PayPal buying Pinterest. And the full split from eBay has now been felt.

But with a deal done with Amazon to be implemented in early new year I feel price will increase shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'm certainly interested. Great valuation at the moment, good buying opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭VW 1

Baba CFO announced she's stepping down and the deputy CFO taking the role, the stock down a further 8% on the news.

• Advertisement

Also 8 HK shares = 1 US share.

You need to multiply the HK share price x 8 x 0.13 to get the USD price which is 112.7 x 8 x 0.13 = 117 USD which is higher than Fridays close.

BABA has opened up 3% higher pre market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Just wondering what do people think of Disney ? Shares have dropped big time.

Anyone holding NET?

Down nearly 25% in the week. Everytime it goes down by 6%+ I feel like I don't want to miss the rebound the next day but feel like I should take profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

No brainer long term for me. Revenue can continue to take hits due to Covid, namely theme parks and cinemas etc. So you could realistically be looking at a year or more, there's only so much Disney+ streaming service can do. But it's one I definitely would mind having in my portfolio with a long term outlook.

Just my opinion BTW, definitely not financial advice. Everything looks choppy right now across the board...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Up today but my just eat position taking a big hit daily now. Need to decide if it is cut and run time. Lock in a bit of year end loss to offset gains. Up overall today at least.

Like Disney. Dont think it is dirt cheap but I think it is a good company at good valuation point. Im a fan. Only started into it after recent drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭pitrn

Hello All, getting a bit nervous with the way market is heading..

I have shares like

Carlotz @7.98

Psth @ 25.00

Skillz @ 16.79

Clov @ 10.46

Baozun @32.00

These shares are way below the prices I bought them at. Any suggestions what I should do. Wait and hold or sell?

Appreciate your inputs.

Thanks

Ptrn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

I think in the future maybe set a mental stop loss on certain buys especially spacs and say i'm going to dump if it hits X, and on the other side im going to take profits if it hits X along the way.

This year in certain periods has been pretty brutal and with the above unless you have conviction that you can put the money into something else and its going to do better than you may just be better holding them.

EVERYONE has been wrecked the last 2 weeks, we all sail in the same boat :)

December historically can be bad normally with people taking profit with taxes due at the end of the year but with tapering news and covid strains its just tanked, i'm hoping we have a good January and get some of the gains back.

Sold it about a month back as it was way overvalued. The ratios were far too big even for my liking. It's a good company, executing perfectly. If it dropped back to the 120's I'd probably buy again

Don't follow any apart from PSTH, that's stuck at the $20 mark now until the merger, at which point you'll get $20 back and a bonus share. Might as well hold that till they do that deal

BABA up in HK today, the equivalent of 6.5% in USD

• Registered Users Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Lads, be careful using Stop Losses. I never use them. You'll end up maybe selling right on the dip of the price. If the price dips temporarily in a day on bad news etc. Plus, how do you know if the exchange isn't buying them on a margin and selling right away for a small profit.

Buy good companies and sit on them. Simple.😀

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Can you give an example of how they make money if the bid of a stock is 100 and the ask is 105?

• Advertisement

Bid is 100 and Ask is 105. Someone else has their Stop Loss set at 95. They kick in that Stop Loss and sell at that Bid price. The exchange effectively buys at 95 and sells at 100. Easy money for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Patsy

I am very keen to learn more about this. A large part of me is anti stop loss.

I would have been sold out quite a few times on my foreign trades had I had stop losses.

I have read that well equiped traders can see what stop losses there are and take them out.

I am not too sure how they drive the price down to that stop loss level.

The gain for the predator is that they now own shares at a lower price than they had been. Predator believes they have more to run.

To take your explanation above :they kick in that stop loss: how exactly is that done, could you detail,i.e. talk slowly with your reply

i am assuming that whatever they do is what short sellers do(whatever that is) only these guys have a target that they know about

Cheers Patsy

p.s. my portfolio has 30 shares,90% abroad. Today for the first time in yonks they are ALL green ( I mean today, not yet all out of the water)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭littlevillage

What a stonking day lads. My portfolio is up 2.5%

One of my ETF's (Semiconductors) is even up 6.5% today, mad Ted, mad 😲

Think of it this way, prices are continuously moving up and down. On average they move up 50% of the time and down 50% of the time. You have to pay commission for every trade so over time, you are going to loose money. That's why most people can't make money from trading.

Say from example a stock is trading at $100.0. Increment is min $0.10, so Ask is 10.1 and bid is 9.9. Now there will be a lot of Stop Losses set up by different people at 9.8, 9.7, 9.6, 9.5 etc the whole way down. If the exchange set up a false account (or pass the information to a third party), when the market is at 9.9 Bid, they can take out the 9.8 Stop Losses and so buy at 9.8 and sell at 9.9. Market is now at 9.8 Bid. Do it again and take out the 9.7 Stop Losses and sell at 9.8. Take out these small profits all day long and nobody would ever know. They buy and sell instantly so can't get caught by market movements outside their control.

Brokers like robinhood and others also make all of their revenue off payment for order flow. They sell all of their trades and client information to market makers such as citadel and Virtu who are then able to either internalise or front run the trades and make pennies off every trade.

Do you prefer the €20 commission per trade approach? That's the alternative realistically, I think for people like myself DCA'ing in a hundred or two every month, the low fees and PFOF works out far better

I don't have much of an opinion either way, I personally use Revolut and Degiro, but I would also encourage anyone investing to be fully aware of the issues around PFOF and securities lending which is how these brokerages make their money. I firmly believe that the market system in the US is overly complex and needs a complete overhaul to give transparency to retail investors and to help create a more level playing field.

Think about this, if the market maker knows all of the retail investors information on trades and where you've got stop losses set etc, you think that they won't use that information they've paid for against retail? They're paying for it for a reason, and there's good reason it isn't allowed in Europe. Caveat emptor as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

Is that a European or us domiciled etf? I presume you know about the horrible taxation issue with these, that all gains are taxed at 41% and deemed disposal every 8 years even if you don't sell

• Advertisement

IAG very volatile today. Can't seem to see the reason. New travel restrictions DOWN Omicron diplacing dangerous strains of Covid UP?

Advertisement