Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jimmythehat16

Hi,

Have been reading for a while and some of the posts here are very insightful.
    First time poster and looking for suggestions to start investing. For now, I have 2700 Euros to start with and I don't need this money for foreseeable future. Moreover, will also try to add 200-250 Euros per month. I am not looking for day or frequent trading and only going for long term investments, even if growth is low (will be more than happy with returns of 9--10 percent). I was looking to split investment into following 3 categories:

-> Vanguard S&P 500 or Gold (1/3)
    -> Microsoft or Apple (1/3)

And rest of 1/3 in some high risk and high gain equity. Will look a bit into SRNE or BCLI (pharmaceutical stocks someone mentioned on this forum a while ago)

Any suggestions if this looks like a reasonable start or should make changes? There is so much information out there that its a bit overwhelming.
    Appreciate all the help,
    Thanks,

Good idea to diversify. The small pharma stocks always have the potential to implode (BCLI dropped from not far off 20 to 4 when trial results didn’t meet endpoint). Obviously these stocks can go the other direction fast too if you pick a winner.

If you are new to investing and want to invest in individual Pharma companies, it might be worth looking at ARK Genomic Revolution ETF’s holdings for ideas - they can be downloaded in PDF from their website. The performance has been very good over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

outonawing wrote: »
    Hope you're right, I'm nursing a 14% loss on this one.

Down 6% myself too.

PLTR demo day today, be interesting what it does to the price. Think it doesn't start until after the market closes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jimmythehat16

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Buying speculative pharma stocks mentioned on a forum is not the way to go.
    They could have massive upside...but very few actually acheive it.
    In pharma look at J&J, Bristol Myers not xyz therapeutics with a great pipeline and multiple shots on goal but that in all likelihood will just disappoint as they go from trial to trial using the occasional pops on good news to issue more shares so they have more cash to burn on more trials that flatter to decieve while insiders get rich but nobody gets cured.

In EV Volkswagen looks good value. Avoid every type of bandwagon EV start up that might be 5x in a month and non existent in a few years. Related to this, Alcoa, aluminium will be in big demand also.

The cloud space is another that will only grow, CrowdStrike should perform very well.

There are plenty of big established businesses with excellent growth prospects without resorting to unproven companies with huge values and low revenues let alone profits.

Xyz therapeutics sounds a lot like a certain SRNE! I bought the shares years ago and have lost count of how many times I have been diluted. I still hope a blockbuster comes out of that pipeline but I would fear for anyone that put all their eggs in that particular basket

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

Guys...anyone interested in fresnillo, the silver mining co?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,051 ✭✭✭✭neris

Looking at some of the cnbc clips on youtube from yesterday the "analysts" on there were really getting themselves in a tizzy over gamestop and how could this happen. These are the same analysts who pump whats in their portfolio when its on the way up. Anyone remember Luckin coffee??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭roosterman71

neris wrote: »
    Anyone remember Luckin coffee??

Damn you to hell for reminding me about that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Looking at some of the cnbc clips on youtube from yesterday the "analysts" on there were really getting themselves in a tizzy over gamestop and how could this happen. These are the same analysts who pump whats in their portfolio when its on the way up. Anyone remember Luckin coffee??
    With every analyst and talking head you have to think what's in it for them.

Most of the analysts in Morgan Stanley etc that downgrade or upgrade a stock either owns or is short it.

Even the ones that say they have no conflict, likely own other stocks, someone criticising Bitcoin likely doesn't own any, so the money going into Bitcoin is not going into the stocks that they own etc.

FWIW, I found the conversation interesting yesterday, I've never seen this type of short squeeze before so it was good to learn how and why it happens with a real example before our eyes. Every day's a school day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭VW 1

FWIW, the wsb bulls feel this still has a lot to run given the size of the short positions and the lack of shares available to trade. Will be interesting to see it play out, but I don't think I'll be getting involved in trying to make a few quid off it, far too volatile for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Pelezico wrote: »
    Guys...anyone interested in fresnillo, the silver mining co?

Are you selling up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

They aren't happy because they can't control what is going on. The same people complaining about manipulation use manipulation for their own gains.

The hypocrisy from these people is unbelievable.

VW 1 wrote: »
    FWIW, the wsb bulls feel this still has a lot to run given the size of the short positions and the lack of shares available to trade. Will be interesting to see it play out, but I don't think I'll be getting involved in trying to make a few quid off it, far too volatile for my liking.

The largest Short position in Gamestop got a bailout yesterday, so they no longer are exposed. It's now basically momentum driving it

https://www.ft.com/content/1791269f-fe8c-47e3-b933-62125ee83242

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭outonawing

Shedite27 wrote: »
    The largest Short position in Gamestop got a bailout yesterday, so they no longer are exposed. It's now basically momentum driving it

https://www.ft.com/content/1791269f-fe8c-47e3-b933-62125ee83242

Is Chamath joining the short squeeze?

https://twitter.com/chamath/status/1353936030202646529?s=19

DUTCH!!! Did you hold Edesa. Up nearly 100% in pre hours. FDA approval for a sub study for rescue remedy for COVID19

https://newsfilter.io/a/e34761b85c65cc17f8e5f12cb53e94d1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭Treppen

DUTCH!!! Did you hold Edesa. Up nearly 100% in pre hours. FDA approval for a sub study for rescue remedy for COVID19

Cheers for the heads up, ya I got in. Where are you seeing the premarket, google and Degiro ain't telling me nothin. It just goes to show be vary careful making a decision based on looking at degiro, I got caught a few times with their delay.

Treppen wrote: »
    Cheers for the heads up, ya I got in. Where are you seeing the premarket, google and Degiro ain't telling me nothin. It just goes to show be vary careful making a decision based on looking at degiro, I got caught a few times with their delay.

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/edsa

I've a bazillion shares in this averaging $6.5

Dont be so quick to sell your pharma shares folks, looks like they'll be saving the planet quite a while... literally...not metaphorically... "forever".

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-is-going-to-stay-with-us-forever-moderna-ceo-224622557.html

Edit: But I'll take my profit in Edesa if it's going lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/edsa

I've a bazillion shares in this averaging $6.5

Hmmm, I always find this the tricky bit. Sell at opening or wait around for an hour or two?

I'm in at $5.50

EDESA's EB05 drug is a therapy for ill patients with COVID. It has proven it helps with ARDS, early trials for Covid19 good. At stage 2/3 for Covid19. Trials going on in Candada, US and Colombia.

10.2m shares. Wont get much smaller floats than that with such an important prospect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Very good if you believe the likes of the Moderna CEO who says covid will be around "forever".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

I was going to sell my Edesa last night to pick up PSTH on the dip. Thank God, sitting on 1000 shares since it was mooted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Watch for American EV's busting today...apparently Biden wants to replace all fossil fuel vehicles.

Did someone mention Revive Therapeutics (RVVTF) a while back , seems like they're being put into an ETF psychedelics portfolio and awaiting a phase 3 Trial on Covid! Total penny stock gamble...

I can only see it on FRA on Degiro though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

ITS GLORIOUS!

I think I nearly wet myself you beautiful bastard thank you for bringing this to my attention and the original tip!

Whats the play here, hold or get out. OH GOD.. so many options

DutchYurt wrote: »
    ITS GLORIOUS!

I think I nearly wet myself you beautiful bastard thank you for bringing this to my attention and the original tip!

or buy more :pac::pac::pac:

DutchYurt wrote: »
    ITS GLORIOUS!

Need it to stay high for the 14:30 open. Lots of early players taking profits already without regard to the fundamentals of the share. Will review within minutes of the opening.

Hope all the sleepless nights/bag holding will be worth it.

Treppen wrote: »
    or buy more :pac::pac::pac:

I averaged down from 8.8 to 5! I'm not sure if emotionally I can buy more :pac:

Need it to stay high for the 14:30 open. Lots of early players taking profits already without regard to the fundamentals of the share. Will review within minutes of the opening.

Hope all the sleepless nights/bag holding will be worth it.

I might hold until after the conference.. Offh I dunno..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭all the bais

BYND 40% up premarket. Joint venture with Pepsi

Advertisement