Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

awec wrote: »
    I know what shorting is, I was just wondering what the 139% bit is about.

It's related to the floating shares, e.g. company has 100m shares outstanding, 80m floating shares or 80% float and the other 20% owned by insiders. 150% short interest means there is 120m shares that have been "borrowed" to be sold at more cheaply at a later date. It works fine in a highly liquid market, but if WSB keep buying and holding GME shares then the volume simply isn't there to cover so the shorts are getting more and more exposed as the price increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

The ironic thing about this WSB/'to the moon' movement is they are unwittingly acheiving the opposite of what they are setting out to do.

Market inefficiences will benefit the institutional investment firms. Institutional traders with their armies of quantitative analysts and arificial intelligence are probably already, as we post, backtesting new strategies to profit from this new market behaviour.

They will find a strategy that works, feed it into the algo trader, and cash in.

In my opinion I doubt it.. there is no quantitative edge here, just social behavior. Sentiment analysis maybe? Thats more ML. Also extremely hard to model and backtest.

They already front running free brokers so I would image HFTs made a killing as well.

Stock market world is bigger than GME, AMC etc.. big dogs are busy with other stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

Bought GME on Monday. Went down 4k a couple of hours after. My stop loss kicked in today and came away with 12k profit. My heart has taken an absolute pounding.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Bought GME on Monday. Went down 4k a couple of hours after. My stop loss kicked in today and came away with 12k profit. My heart has taken an absolute pounding.....

Congrats mate! Massive money for essentially nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Crikey as a small stock holder some of the sums I'm seeing on this thread today are incredible. Few new cars in the driveway for some I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭This is it

Deadly, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

again something on AMC (this is the twr handle #saveamc) - this is like what happend with bitcoin earlier in the month,

"..There is currently $38 MILLION USD worth of shorts on $AMC

When these short sellers don't hit their price target, they have to come out of pocket to COVER the shorts or buy the shares

This causes the price to rise... to the moon! RocketRocketRocketRocket..."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

My head is melted, so just decided to take my profits. Got out there when it touched 350 dollars a share. Left one share in there for the craic.

Thanks. You might think that but I couldn't talk to my wife and kids the last two days since I was staring at numbers on a screen constantly.

Anybody recommend any safer shares to buy at the moment ? Currently holding

CCIV
    IPOD
    IPOF
    Netflix
    Kerry
    Aviva
    Cisco
    Grafton Group
    Ryanair
    Blackberry
    Nio
    Lemonade
    ZNTE
    And a little GME

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭This is it

I don't have enough in to back out, willing to stay in a while and see what happens

• Advertisement

buyer95 wrote:
    My head is melted, so just decided to take my profits. Got out there when it touched 350 dollars a share. Left one share in there for the craic.

I can relate to this. Ive had a three day headache. A glass of wine to celebrate I think.

Thanks for all the tips here everybody. I've only started being a bit more active in my trading this month. Bought netflix and tesla in 2016 and they have given me the funds to build a portfolio of shares !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

I can relate to this. Ive had a three day headache. A glass of wine to celebrate I think.

Thanks for all the tips here everybody. I've only started being a bit more active in my trading this month. Bought netflix and tesla in 2016 and they have given me the funds to build a portfolio of shares !

Yeah eyes falling out of my head from staring at the screen. I don't normally day trade, but jumped into this Monday at 81 dollars a share with 20 shares. A lovely return, but think I'll stick to more sensible long term positions in future!

buyer95 wrote:
    Yeah eyes falling out of my head from staring at the screen. I don't normally day trade, but jumped into this Monday at 81 dollars a share with 20 shares. A lovely return, but think I'll stick to more sensible long term positions in future!

I was the same. Bought 92 shares in a few batches on Monday. What a ride. I'm not able for it though. House of cards.

Thanks. You might think that but I couldn't talk to my wife and kids the last two days since I was staring at numbers on a screen constantly.

Anybody recommend any safer shares to buy at the moment ? Currently holding

CCIV
    IPOD
    IPOF
    Netflix
    Kerry
    Aviva
    Cisco
    Grafton Group
    Ryanair
    Blackberry
    Nio
    Lemonade
    ZNTE
    And a little GME

Ryanair - has lots of cash might get them close'ish to €10 no travel restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭Goose81

anyone know if you cans till buy shares using revolut?

Its telling me after brexit it will only allow people in UK to use the feature but it still seems to be allowing me to buy..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

Goose81 wrote: »
    anyone know if you cans till buy shares using revolut?

Its telling me after brexit it will only allow people in UK to use the feature but it still seems to be allowing me to buy..

You can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭bunnyboxer

Do you actually own the shares on revoult? I'd be weary about them going bankrupt

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Whats happening with Nokia, NYSE site says its halted and "News Pending"

Just found out a friend bought 2k Euros worth of GME , 2k PLTR and 2K AMC in December. He has been holding till now. This guy is a college student.

dan786 wrote: »
    Just found out a friend bought 2k Euros worth of GME , 2k PLTR and 2K AMC in December. He has been holding till now. This guy is a college student.

as its fiat currency, there is enough for everyone.

• Advertisement

bunnyboxer wrote: »
    Do you actually own the shares on revoult? I'd be weary about them going bankrupt

Revolut wont be going bankrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

VinLieger wrote: »
    Whats happening with Nokia, NYSE site says its halted and "News Pending"

Its back now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

lot of chat about BBBY ( Bed , Bath and Beyond ) on various site

short percentage is very high , obviously nothing like GME

anyone have a go at it ?

Jim Cramer tweeted a few days ago that he cant really understand the level of shorts in this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Thoughts on aftermarket and tomorrow for GameStop ?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

122,000 short/puts contracts expire January 29 for AMC :o

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭peterofthebr

will go to the 'moon' as there all commenting on ..or maybe Mars. i seen a tweet ealier towards Elon M.saying wouldn;t it be great Elon to see AMC going to Mars and beyond, obviously hoping he will tweet something on AMC and fuel the surge

...short sellers might be looking for a bail out if you believe the rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,091 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Is Revolut acting up for anyone else? If I click buy or sell the app does nothing. I've not seen this happen in the stock section before.

Yeah but its only shorted to 69% compared to Gamestops 139% so i doubt there will be anything close to a similar squeeze if any at all

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭peterofthebr

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Is Revolut acting up for anyone else? If I click buy or sell the app does nothing. I've not seen this happen in the stock section before.
    i dont use them, whats their charges like for trading ?

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »

All the apps are under serious pressure today many were down for over an hour earlier

Advertisement