Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Frankfurt GME doesn't hold the same shorts as NYSE, that is just organic growth, I'd be double checking what exactly you're invested in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Timing belt

VinLieger wrote: »
    Firstly they havent been closed out there hasnt been enough movement to allow all the short positions to be closed and if they were closed the price would be on the floor.

Also there was a report yesterday showing the current shorts were still at 139%

The reports on cnbc etc claiming melvin and citron had closed out were lies and quite simply illegal market manipulation.

If the shares are not being sold to allow the hedge funds to close out there positions how are the retail investors managing to buy shares!!!

There was 61m shares shorted on the 15/1 since then there have been 810m shares traded. I don't get where you are saying there has not been enough movement to allow the short positions to be closed.

What looks like is happening at the moment is that the day traders are cleaning up as more and more people pile in and they are waiting to burn them to teach them a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Virgin Galactic has a massive short interest, there's a lot of share outstanding though, I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned, dipped over night but is having a good month.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

If the shares are not being sold to allow the hedge funds to close out there positions how are the retail investors managing to buy shares!!!

There was 61m shares shorted on the 15/1 since then there have been 810m shares traded. I don't get where you are saying there has not been enough movement to allow the short positions to be closed.

What looks like is happening at the moment is that the day traders are cleaning up as more and more people pile in and they are waiting to burn them to teach them a lesson.

All reporting is saying they are still shorted to 139% and the most recent data is from yesterday

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/l6pvq1/most_recent_short_interest/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

All reporting is saying they are still shorted to 139% and the most recent data is from yesterday

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/l6pvq1/most_recent_short_interest/

Not sure how accurate this seems to be pulling the data from somewhere https://www.highshortinterest.com/all/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Prunty

If AMC and BB aren't shorted like GME is it inevitable that they'll tank in the next few days or is there any truth to the redditors investing their gains on Friday in either of those stocks? Is it really just the hedges pumping some money into other stocks to try and whittle away potential GME investors from WSB?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JoeCole26

Going to be another dark day it looks like. Brace yourselves. Stay strong.

I have seen all the posts on redit and screenshots but I have no faith in them.

The only place that you would get accurate information is from the Brooker-dealers that lent the short seller the shares and they won't be sharing that info with the market.

The Brokers-dealers are required to report their short positions only twice a month. Any short positions reported by the FiNRA or the exchanges yesterday would have been the short positions as at the 15/1

https://www.finra.org/filing-reporting/regulatory-filing-systems/short-interest

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭peterofthebr

Cnbc said there general market is down due to concerns coming from reddit. I feel they will force the reddit feed to be stopped as they said (on reddit) they were targeting certain hedge funds-targeting hedge funds is illegal under regulation

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Cnbc said there general market is down due to concerns coming from reddit. I feel they will force the reddit feed to be stopped as they said (on reddit) they were targeting certain hedge funds-targeting hedge funds is illegal under regulation

So is market manipulation but hedge funds do it all the time and see no repercussions, if this once and for all exposes the double standard it will have done something.

Also many are now pointing out that WSB has effectively become its own hedge fund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bodjhrjekekr

Prices are certain stocks, eg AMC started tanking from 1 minute past the close yesterday, when most retail traders couldn't trade - seems dodgy to me, could that itself be some kind of market manipulation, mass selling immediately in after hours? Trying to scare off people when the markets re-open?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

I am going to suggest that we have a separate topic for the Shorting phenomena, and leave the Share Picks 2021 for the normal run of the mill stuff, might make it easier to follow both.

Feel free to ignore my suggestion of course

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058154296

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭peterofthebr

It would be good if retail investors helt onto positions like in amc until next week anyway to force squeeze the shorter out. If the regulations can 'prove' reddit actions were against certain hedge funds. NASDAQ may stop buying of AMC on exchange(possibly)
    .. saving hedge funds..

Will be interesting to see how it goes today

Prices are certain stocks, eg AMC started tanking from 1 minute past the close yesterday, when most retail traders couldn't trade - seems dodgy to me, could that itself be some kind of market manipulation, mass selling immediately in after hours? Trying to scare off people when the markets re-open?

The short positions have been closed out as the Variation margin would be crazy and that alone would cost the hedge funds.

They don't want to scare off people they want them to keep pumping the stock as they will make a fortune out of it in the end.

Everyone thinks they are giving two fingers up to the hedge funds when in reality it is the hedge funds that are manipulating the market getting ready to teach people a lesson and make a tasty profit in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    I am going to suggest that we have a separate topic for the Shorting phenomena, and leave the Share Picks 2021 for the normal run of the mill stuff, might make it easier to follow both.

Feel free to ignore my suggestion of course

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058154296

Goodbye GME, AMC, NOK, BB, BBY, KOSS ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Kilboor wrote: »

Not Goodbye, au revoir

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

Kilboor wrote: »

I think it should remain here, its a temp event there often is enough info here to scan agasint without having to also scan another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Frankfurt GME doesn't hold the same shorts as NYSE, that is just organic growth, I'd be double checking what exactly you're invested in there.

Up 723% since last week so dont think there is any issue , if you are just buying normal shares. The market arbitragers will take advantage of differences between exchanges so the price will be relatively reflective surely ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

cronos wrote: »
    Internet connections have just become fast enough to download everything, so why have the middleman and with cloud gaming you don't even need to download the game.

The thinking is that internet speeds in a lot of the US are pretty slow, and the size of games is increasing in the new generation of consoles. If that's the case, there may still be a future for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

MikeSoys wrote: »
    I think it should remain here, its a temp event there often is enough info here to scan agasint without having to also scan another thread.

Agreed, it'll blow over in a couple of days. Saves flitting between two different threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

McGaggs wrote: »
    The thinking is that internet speeds in a lot of the US are pretty slow, and the size of games is increasing in the new generation of consoles. If that's the case, there may still be a future for them.

Or they could open a digital marketplace . How long will sony and microsoft be left operate only their own stores for games on their devices ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

And once again Trading212 is offline.

Yesterday I added more to my position in ANVS, anything in the 9 dollar range or under I'll be gobbling up more.

Not always a correct thing to do but human nature makes us look for comparison, $SAVA, another biotech about 9 months ahead of ANVS in terms of trials for Alzheimer drugs (Phase 2a completed, the stage ANVS will be presenting results on this quarter) is valued at 700 million dollars.

ANVS is 70 million currently :cool:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Or they could open a digital marketplace . How long will sony and microsoft be left operate only their own stores for games on their devices ?

I believe there is a deal with MS anyway that Gamsetop get a percentage of console sales even if bought directly from Microsoft. Not sure what the end game is, but sounds ludicrous from Microsofts point of view.

I may be wrong on the details, but here's the press release

https://news.microsoft.com/2020/10/08/gamestop-announces-multiyear-strategic-partnership-with-microsoft/

I believe there is a deal with MS anyway that Gamsetop get a percentage of console sales even if bought directly from Microsoft. Not sur ewhat the end game is, but sounds ludicrous from Microsofts point of view.

Gamestop are an excellent brand name in an ever growing market and are still a number 1 go to for new games on disc as well as new consoles.

They also have a huge database of customer analytics and subscribers which Ryan Cohen loves from his experience at Chewy.

The strategy is to close unprofitable stores, create a more customer friendly service online, and to expand the product range to include PC gaming items (monitors, graphics cards) as well as e-sports focused items. They are in a good position with the brand name, locations, and customer analytics they have to reposition themselves.

The agreement with Microsoft is also an excellent revenue generating scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

cc87 wrote: »
    I'll happily eat my hat if I'm wrong but NOK has too many shares available for a short squeeze to work I think.

It's already had a higher short interest than AMC.

I hold NOK but that's a concern. It's already a $40bn company, can it really go up 200/400% like the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

How do Gamestop and AMC benefit, do they get a percentage even if people sell their shares and it crashes?

I actually think AMC shares will bounce back in the future anyway, whenever 'normal' resumes, could be like 5 years time to be fully back. I think people will want to go back to the simple times when we could go to the cinema.
    I was looking at the 5 year graph though, and even before corona their shares were going down a lot year on year, I'm not sure why

Netflix.

Why would people go to the cinema when they can watch better content from the comfort of their own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Tempted to jump into ARB, I feel that has a lot more to climb once all this WSB/hedge fund war has subsided. The new ARK Invest pdf should point towards their thoughts on bitcoin.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Netflix.

Why would people go to the cinema when they can watch better content from the comfort of their own home.

Depends on the strength of Hollywood not the consumer.

I personally love the cinema but I know that's not shared by everyone. Would still go see an epic type movie in the cinema if it was available on Netflix day 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I hold NOK but that's a concern. It's already a $40bn company, can it really go up 200/400% like the others?

It's not stopping people trying by the looks of it.....

Pre market volume just tipped past 15mil

Advertisement