Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

Possibly, but hugely hugely over valued based on intrinsic value.

Possibly? Both of the events I described are real.

Possibly? Both of the events I described are real.

Why did you say 'i thought' then if we're being pedantic.

Why did you say 'i thought' then if we're being pedantic.

I responded to:

"Not sure GME did similar and will eventually go out of business."

So I provided evidence to the contrary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Renault 5

While I only bought 60 shares in NAKD just to play. Is it in the same situation as GME with the shorts?

I can’t figure out how to read threads on reddit

I responded to:

"Not sure GME did similar and will eventually go out of business."

So I provided evidence to the contrary.

Great, you think they'll survive. Personally I don't think my grandchildren will be using them, so wouldn't be holding shares for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

AMC, the company, did very good business out of this. Quite likely the saving of the company.

Not sure GME did similar and will eventually go out of business.

I never sold the Eircom shares I bought as a child in the 90's

Great, you think they'll survive. Personally I don't think my grandchildren will be using them, so wouldn't be holding shares for them

Grandchildren. That's quite the confidence interval.

Good talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I'm getting buried with my Gamestop share certs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

The talk about GameStop going under is pure waffle. Obviously their market cap is absolutely ludicrous right now but they were probably a $1Bn market cap company who were shorted to $250m value. Revenues, gross margins, free cash flow, earnings per share, etc. all healthy. Even without all of this they would not have gone under within the next 5 years at least, they've revenues of 6 billion not exactly tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Was doing a bit of reading around the various stock sites.

CHD seems to come up a good bit. Produces household & personal care products so likely to continue to do well for the next few months at least.
    At $84 now down from a high of 99 in August and seems to be stabilising.
    Nice dividend stock also, recently increased it for the 25th year in a row.

Also a stock that reported above expected 2020 earnings yesterday but still dropped due to everything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

jive wrote: »
      The talk about GameStop going under is pure waffle. Obviously their market cap is absolutely ludicrous right now but they were probably a $1Bn market cap company who were shorted to $250m value. Revenues, gross margins, free cash flow, earnings per share, etc. all healthy. Even without all of this they would not have gone under within the next 5 years at least, they've revenues of 6 billion not exactly tiny.

Yeah the fundamentals for the original squeeze were sound. WSB contribution has just pushed it to crazy levels crazy quickly. Great to watch, cant wait for the movie.

Christian Bale was made for the part of Deepfcukingvalue

1. Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Can someone explain Degiros conversion rate from Dollar to euro? It's a bit off.

I bought into GME at $305, the euro rate in the order is €251.33 using an exchange rate of 1.2123. However, the euro rate provided is slightly off versus what I'm getting $305 / 1.2123 is 251.5878908, so they're saying the order is 25c cheaper than it actually was.

Any idea here?

2. Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Apparently Musk tweeted that if GME goes to 1000 he'll put their logo on his next rocket.

no he didnt. fake whatsapp & I fell for it!

3. Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Can someone explain Degiros conversion rate from Dollar to euro? It's a bit off.

I bought into GME at $305, the euro rate in the order is €251.33 using an exchange rate of 1.2123. However, the euro rate provided is slightly off versus what I'm getting $305 / 1.2123 is 251.5878908, so they're saying the order is 25c cheaper than it actually was.

Any idea here?

Probably rounding?

4. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

daheff wrote: »
      Apparently Musk tweeted that if GME goes to 1000 he'll put their logo on his next rocket.

No he didn't.

5. Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

People now buying billboards in the US to promote buying GME.

05ow7o3dqfe61.jpg

6. Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Dante7 wrote: »
      No he didn't.

briefly saw a whatsapp with a tweet...but its an image not a link.

dammit

7. Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭VW 1

naughto wrote: »
      What's the end game for deepfu1cking value the lad that started this ?
      I presume he will have to cash out at some stage to get his money

He posts his gains each day, he's cashed out several million at this point and holding the rest.

8. Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭This is it

VW 1 wrote: »
      He posts his gains each day, he's cashed out several million at this point and holding the rest.

Yep, he cashed out 13m and has left the rest in so far. Let's be honest, he's obviously a bright, talented lad having picked this out a long time a go. He's not like most of the rest of us investing a couple of hundred here or a few grand there. Even if he hadn't cashed in the 13m you'd have to think he's capable of making millions elsewhere. As it stands, based on that 13m alone, he's set for life.

As I said, I took out my original investment so at worst I'll break even and I'm happy enough with that. If GME hits $0, grand. If it hits $1k by some miracle, I'd be delighted. It's been quite the rollercoaster so far.

9. Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭peterofthebr

I'm sure there are meetings happing right how on how to go forward with the reddit group. It's possible something will happen like what happed with Piggly Wiggly back in the day. Trades from Robinhood (RH cant execute trades directly) are sent to market-makers and these market makers can see the trades coming in and can use algorithmic trading to gain from them as they can see what's being traded before it happens. Citadel is one of these market makers, they can make money from the spreads.Big questions whether Citadal and Citadel LLC had some influence on RH restricting some securities last week but as Ben Bernanke is an adviser for Citadel I'm sure not much will change. Will be interesting if SEC has any suggestions..

Also I see someone on reddit saying(assuming true) they bought 2400 GME stocks@$330 each -in fairness they prop bought on the dip.
      :-O

10. Advertisement
    11. Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭dontparkhere

Big Lots - big
      Renewable Energy Group - regi
      Hammerson - hmso
      Intel - intc
      Rocket Companies - rkt
      Mr Cooper - coop
      BWX technologies - bwxt

1/5 of portfolio in btc on the speculative bet that many will give the two fingers to "the establishment" after recent events.

and a tiny bit of bb, nok, amc because I'm young and dumb

Sold out of BOI (98%), shell (40%) and IAG (35%) recently

I can't get my head around tech valuations so I'm missing out on that side. Like I'm completely dumbfounded when I look at the financials of a lot of the tech.
      Are most investing based off momentum and psychology of the market or a genuine belief these companies will be very profitable in years to come?
      Any good resources to make sense of it?
      Any good etf's to capture the growth side of tech?

I surely can't be the only struggling to make sense of it.
      I'm in my mid twenties so investing for the long haul.
      I'll probably start dollar cost averaging into etfs long term or if there is a big correction.

12. Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I'm sure there are meetings happing right how on how to go forward with the reddit group. It's possible something will happen like what happed with Piggly Wiggly back in the day. Trades from Robinhood (RH cant execute trades directly) are sent to market-makers and these market makers can see the trades coming in and can use algorithmic trading to gain from them as they can see what's being traded before it happens. Citadel is one of these market makers, they can make money from the spreads.Big questions whether Citadal and Citadel LLC had some influence on RH restricting some securities last week but as Ben Bernanke is an adviser for Citadel I'm sure not much will change. Will be interesting if SEC has any suggestions..

Also I see someone on reddit saying(assuming true) they bought 2400 GME stocks@$330 each -in fairness they prop bought on the dip.
      :-O

This is essentially what citadel currently do. Yheh have free access to trading patterns via RH as they own them but if your business is shorting stocks and that info is available to people then this kind of squeeze is possible regardless.

What your suggesting would mean trading would take a day or more from RH users placing their order and it being executed. Which won't happen and of it did the retail average joe side of modern ttading would die off.

Much more likely that this kind of shorting dies off IMHO.

13. Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Spent the last hour trying to figure out what's going to happen with AMC. I'm still at a bit of a loss, so this is just my speculation.

Sounds like the bull case is that we're in a short squeeze, and that options expire at the end of the month, hence, the Options holders will have to buy at the price Monday - $13+ and rising to cover the options. We'll know if that's true or not pretty early Monday.
      However....Per Yahoo Finance, there were 44.6m shares sold short at last count (mid Jan) - https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/amc/key-statistics/
      Last week, AMC had 44.4m worht of debt converted to new shares. - https://www.marketwatch.com/story/amc-entertainment-to-issue-444-million-shares-as-investors-opt-to-convert-600-million-of-convertible-debt-2021-01-28
      Now, this is just me adding 1+1=2, but it seems too convenient to be a coincidence, the debt holders may have done a deal with the shorts, where they'll sell those shares to the shorts at $13 + 10% or whatever. Debt holder comes away with a great return, short seller gets out of jail with loss at that price.

14. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

Like many people who have never traded before I look like making a modest few Euro on GME (obviously it might go to hell on Monday). I want to use the few quid to start investing 'properly' with the profits as a little hobby, is there a better website or app that I should use instead of Revolut? (The shares available to buy on Revolut seem quite limited).

I know this is a mad situation unlikely to be repeated but I think it makes sense to leave any profits I have in shares, and play around with an extra few euro here and there as this has been fun. This will all be quite modest hobby level amounts (i.e. if I lose it all it won't matter), probably trivial amounts to seasoned people here, so I would like to keep fees as low as possible.

Any tips would be appreciated (or recommendations for resources to read up on or videos to watch on youtube).

15. Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Like many people who have never traded before I look like making a modest few Euro on GME (obviously it might go to hell on Monday). I want to use the few quid to start investing 'properly' with the profits as a little hobby, is there a better website or app that I should use instead of Revolut? (The shares available to buy on Revolut seem quite limited).

I know this is a mad situation unlikely to be repeated but I think it makes sense to leave any profits I have in shares, and play around with an extra few euro here and there as this has been fun. This will all be quite modest hobby level amounts (i.e. if I lose it all it won't matter), probably trivial amounts to seasoned people here, so I would like to keep fees as low as possible.

Any tips would be appreciated (or recommendations for resources to read up on or videos to watch on youtube).

Degiro.ie. I have a account with them but due to inactivity it was deactivated and I had to use Revolut to jump on AMC while degiro approve my updated docs but they would be the best online platform for Ireland as far as I know.

16. Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Personally i use Trading212 and more recently Degiro. Trading212 is fee free up to a certain level and you can use a credit card to upload funds to the account.

Degiro has to be linked to a bank account so you will have to use your banks 24 hour banking to fund the account via bank transfer.
      Also Degiro can be 15 minutes behind live with some stocks so a pain if you want to get in fast on a price which is changing.

17. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

Personally i use Trading212 and more recently Degiro. Trading212 is fee free up to a certain level and you can use a credit card to upload funds to the account.

Degiro has to be linked to a bank account so you will have to use your banks 24 hour banking to fund the account via bank transfer.
      Also Degiro can be 15 minutes behind live with some stocks so a pain if you want to get in fast on a price which is changing.

Degiro having to be linked to a bank account is a definite downside to me for sure. From a quick look it does not appear they offer fractional either, which is a disadvantage considering the modest funds I will be messing around with.

Perhaps I may start on Trading212 and see how I get on, but are they one of the brokers who banned people from buying GME? I know this is really rare and perhaps unprecedented but a broker banning purchase of a stock seems like something that would make you want to look elsewhere.

Some great info here from you both, thanks.

18. Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

eToro is very good, you can deposit with card. They do charge $5 for withdrawals but if you are in for the long run or investing a big amount then its not too bad.

19. Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

There was a regular poster in the 2020 thread who bought GME around May/June last year. He did it purely based on his research that the stock rose very well every time a major new games console was released

In this case, he was banking on great returns based on the Playstation 5 release in November/December

I can't remember that poster's name, but I really hope that guy held till last week and fair fcuks to him

tenor.gif

20. Advertisement
    21. Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

That was probably Kilboor perhaps? I remember arguing the other way, that consoles are going digital, gamestop is next xtravision etc, and I invested a few quid on Sony. Sony did very well in the normal sense - some 60% in last 12 months or so. But that's nothing in TSLA / GME world. Fair play to those who invested on GME.

Advertisement