Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭dickface

Shedite27 wrote: »
    You're basically playing roulette at this stage, there's equal chance you double your money or lose 90% this week.

He can set a stop loss after buying limiting his downside

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Xaniaj

Bought a small amount at 89 last week, sold a few back at 370 to break even. Holding the rest to see how this plays out, it's been a roller-coaster of a week!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Shedite27 wrote: »
    You're basically playing roulette at this stage, there's equal chance you double your money or lose 90% this week.

When this is all over, we'll see that there were an awful lot of newbies who bought in at the top and lost it all.

If you're new to this and buying in now, you're like the guy who bought that apartment in Bulgaria off the plans on the recommendation of his taxi driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

dickface wrote: »

It would be wise to do this but there are a couple of problems:
    1. When this pops, it's likely to drop quickly so you might not get your stop loss price.
    2. The mentality of this doesn't lend itself to people setting a floor; more likely that someone getting in now will be very reluctant to take the loss, and more likely to buy in again when it drops to get a lower average break even point.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Fruks

Phoebas wrote: »
    It would be wise to do this but there are a couple of problems:
    1. When this pops, it's likely to drop quickly so you might not get your stop loss price.
    2. The mentality of this doesn't lend itself to people setting a floor; more likely that someone getting in now will be very reluctant to take the loss, and more likely to buy in again when it drops to get a lower average break even point.

There is another problem which can occur which no one is mentioning and which is fairly plausible in the current volatility. Say you bought at 325 at the close on Friday and set a stop loss at 300 - grand you think to yourself, can’t lose anything more than 25 per share. However, if GME were to gap down in pretrading and open at, say, 150, your stop loss will trigger but the sale will obviously go through at market price - 150. For anyone new to this who thinks that setting a stop loss means you will definitely get that price in a worst case scenario just be aware that this assumption isn’t true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭jams100

A stop loss in cases like this is next to useless. You set your stop loss at $150 now and by the time the markets open on Monday it could well be at $50, all of a sudden you've sold out at $50.

Also the big funds get to see your stop loss along with everyone else's, they can easily just sell all their shares (clear you and others out) and then buy back those shares.

Ultimately, if your buying shares with no fundamentals behind them then your likely to get f**ked at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah as other pointed out, the big moves in AMC/GME have been outside of trading hours, so stop loss won't be much use

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Fruks wrote: »
    There is another problem which can occur which no one is mentioning and which is fairly plausible in the current volatility. Say you bought at 325 at the close on Friday and set a stop loss at 300 - grand you think to yourself, can’t lose anything more than 25 per share. However, if GME were to gap down in pretrading and open at, say, 150, your stop loss will trigger but the sale will obviously go through at market price - 150. For anyone new to this who thinks that setting a stop loss means you will definitely get that price in a worst case scenario just be aware that this assumption isn’t true.

This is very important for people to know.

To be honest I think it's a bit of a scam that only certain platforms can do pre trading and post trading hours. Put's you at a massive disadvantage if dealing with high volatility products.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

Degiro have put sell restrictions in place on AMC and GME for that very reason. You can only place limit sell or stop limit orders, as opposed to stop loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Bit of an obscure one, and a real moonshot, KR1 PLC, market cap $60mn

They're a company involved in DeFi, which is essentially the next step of Bitcoin, building financial systems that are based on crypto rather than normal currencies. After last week's shenanegins with the Fed getting involved in Robinhood, I can see this getting more mainstream. The company is a small operations, out of Isle of Man, they essentially are consultants that help out setting up systems, but they get equity in the systems they setup so you're buying a stake in those. They also hold a lot of obscure crypto so as those prices rise, you get a chunk of those too. You can see a list of what they're invested in here
    https://www.kryptonite1.co/investments

This is a real longshot, one to stash in the portfolio and not to look at for a year or so. It only trades on some obscure exchanges, neither of which are on Degiro. In the UK, it's on the Aquis exchange under KR1, in Stuttgart it's on the Boirse exchange under K4H (you can buy this on Interactive Brokers). It was trading about 20c a share at Christmas, currently about 60c. I reckon it gets a run while this SEC investigation goes on, and if it goes for Nasdaq listing it would be a nice boost too.

I bought in about 2 weeks back at 50c

• Advertisement

I don't understand the I'm putting in X amount of money into this just to be part of "it" view point. Strange. The market has no feelings.

Most of the "Hold" "Don't Sell!!!" types couldn't give two hoots about sticking it to the 'man'
    They just want to protect their onvestment and maximise their own exit point.

This isn't tearing down the Berlin Wall. Simply a gamble. Short trading isn't going to be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Timing belt

I don't understand the I'm putting in X amount of money into this just to be part of "it" view point. Strange. The market has no feelings.

Most of the "Hold" "Don't Sell!!!" types couldn't give two hoots about sticking it to the 'man'

This isn't tearing down the Berlin Wall. Simply a gamble. Short trading isn't going to be banned.

You need the hype and people to think they are sticking it to Wall Street to drive price up....Wall Street is making a fortune and laughing at everyone in this ‘movement’ as long as the stock is moving (up or down) they are making money. Retail traders buying with a delay versus the algo computers that trade in mili-seconds.

I'm bored and I have more money than I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

clonesbabe wrote: »
    Hi folks. Thinking of buying about 2000 euro worth of gme on monday via revolut as I haven't bought shares/stocks before and know nothing about it. I could spend more but that's really all I would be willing to lose. At what point should I be looking to sell.

2k is a crazy amount to risk IMO , 200 euro would be more than enough as this thing could play out anytime

I'm bored and I have more money than I need.

Anyone that is planning on buying a Ferrari next week with the money they make from this once in a life time opportunity can do so here
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/RASTAR-Ferrari-Drifting-LaFerrari-Control/dp/B07CR7XJQG/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=ferrari&qid=1612104364&sprefix=ferra&sr=8-12

Anyone that is planning on buying a Ferrari next week with the money they make from this once in a life time opportunity can do so here
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/RASTAR-Ferrari-Drifting-LaFerrari-Control/dp/B07CR7XJQG/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=ferrari&qid=1612104364&sprefix=ferra&sr=8-12

Eh, ok? Great post.

It's a lockdown and there's nothing else to do. Whatever anyone says it is a bit exciting.

I can totally understand putting a few quid in and deciding to hold for the fun of it, that is what I have done. That said, anyone who regards this as anything other than a gamble, akin to throwing a few quid on an outsider in a horse race, that you are likely to lose, is, in my opinion, foolish.

If you have thrown money into this that the loss of which will result in a material or mental impact on you beyond that which you would suffer when your favorite football team which you have bet on loses, you should try and exit at a profit tomorrow (if possible) and reduce your holding to a level you are comfortable with.

It's a lockdown and there's nothing else to do. Whatever anyone says it is a bit exciting.

I can totally understand putting a few quid in and deciding to hold for the fun of it, that is what I have done. That said, anyone who regards this as anything other than a gamble, akin to throwing a few quid on an outsider in a horse race, that you are likely to lose, is, in my opinion, foolish.

If you have thrown money into this that the loss of which will result in a material or mental impact on you beyond that which you would suffer when your favorite football team which you have bet on loses, you should try and exit at a profit tomorrow (if possible) and reduce your holding to a level you are comfortable with.

Exactly, it's just a bit of fun so long as you don't put too much into it.

I don't know why some people are getting so rattled.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭clones1980

Exactly, it's just a bit of fun so long as you don't put too much into it.

I don't know why some people are getting so rattled.

I dont either. Its 2000 not all my saving. It wont break me one way or another and has been sitting in a credit union account for years.

I dont either. Its 2000 not all my saving. It wont break me one way or another and has been sitting in a credit union account for years.

Ok, that's your call. Though 2000 is a lot of money to anyone, so I suppose that's why some are trying to warn you. But if you're comfortable with potentially losing 95% of that in a flash, then work away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

You need the hype and people to think they are sticking it to Wall Street to drive price up....Wall Street is making a fortune and laughing at everyone in this ‘movement’ as long as the stock is moving (up or down) they are making money. Retail traders buying with a delay versus the algo computers that trade in mili-seconds.

By Friday, short-sellers had lost $19.75 billion on GameStop so far this month alone, according to S3 Partners, a New York–based firm that tracks short positions on U.S. stocks.

Ok, that's your call. Though 2000 is a lot of money to anyone, so I suppose that's why some are trying to warn you. But if you're comfortable with potentially losing 95% of that in a flash, then work away.

Exactly I get the fun bit but this has less chances of a horse at 1000/1 in the grand national.

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    By Friday, short-sellers had lost $19.75 billion on GameStop so far this month alone, according to S3 Partners, a New York–based firm that tracks short positions on U.S. stocks.

And how much have the made?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

This is the investment and markets forum. I'd suggest anyone who is totally bored and wants to do nothing other than gamble on stocks go create a thread on the gambling forum.

Timmaay wrote: »
    This is the investment and markets forum. I'd suggest anyone who is totally bored and wants to do nothing other than gamble on stocks go create a thread on the gambling forum.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

And how much have the made?

No idea, how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

unless you are worth a few million , i would not gamble 2k on a blown up stock

the main reason because at this stage , its a game of musical chairs , the pop was a week ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Timmaay wrote: »

Says the fella who was on about buying dodgecoin on this same thread a few days ago. Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

What do we really think is going to happen ?read a few good theories.

Have the big boys already closed out their most volatile short positions and reopened shorts at less risky numbers for when this all crashes ?

Also I read an interesting thing that over 60% of shares are held by funds, and that Reddit soldiers aren’t really driving this at all, but rather this is a hedge fund versus hedge fund battle.

Another theory I read online is that other hedge funds who already whole game stop may come to an agreement with the hedge funds who have shorted GameStop too much. And may agree to sell them stocks at a reasonable market price to cover their shorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

What do we really think is going to happen ?read a few good theories.

Have the big boys already closed out their most volatile short positions and reopened shorts at less risky numbers for when this all crashes ?

Also I read an interesting thing that over 60% of shares are held by funds, and that Reddit soldiers aren’t really driving this at all, but rather this is a hedge fund versus hedge fund battle.

Another theory I read online is that other hedge funds who already whole game stop may come to an agreement with the hedge funds who have shorted GameStop too much. And may agree to sell them stocks at a reasonable market price to cover their shorts.

Read one article that said half of the 13m RH users held some GME that's pretty insane. The average is probably pretty low but still must make up quite a big overall holding. I wouldn't be surprised if more shorts have been taken given the huge price. It surely, surely has to go back down again? I've not got involved at any point but it's been interesting to watch!

Advertisement