Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

jimmii wrote: »
    Read one article that said half of the 13m RH users held some GME that's pretty insane. The average is probably pretty low but still must make up quite a big overall holding. I wouldn't be surprised if more shorts have been taken given the huge price. It surely, surely has to go back down again? I've not got involved at any point but it's been interesting to watch!

I think one thing you can be pretty certain of is it will go down, will it go down to $20 is the question, and how long will that take. In the meantime the week ahead looks like being a fun week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    I think one thing you can be pretty certain of is it will go down, will it go down to $20 is the question, and how long will that take. In the meantime the week ahead looks like being a fun week.

Once it does start to really fall of be interesting to see if all the "yolo hold for life" people stay true and risk seeing it down at 20. Once the hardcore lot sell then the collapse will surely be pretty dam dramatic. I'm guessing those screaming the loudest to hold have been slowly selling some off but not enough to feel guilty about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭endainoz

jimmii wrote: »
    Once it does start to really fall of be interesting to see if all the "yolo hold for life" people stay true and risk seeing it down at 20. Once the hardcore lot sell then the collapse will surely be pretty dam dramatic. I'm guessing those screaming the loudest to hold have been slowly selling some off but not enough to feel guilty about it.

It went down as low as 120 on Thursday and suprising it didn't phase people too much. As was said, an interesting week ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

No matter how romantic of an idea that a bunch of redditors are able to stick to hedge funds, reality is they can barely move the market price, their capital is just still too small. Reason GME poped is a bunch of other big dogs on the other side of the trade.
    I saw somewhere a buy/sell data for last week from RH, and its was fairly equal with more sells towards the end of the week.

Even if you are hoping for 1k target, chances of it lasting more the couple seconds and your ****ty free retail broker operating at that time is nearly zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

SmokyMo wrote: »
    I saw somewhere a buy/sell data for last week from RH, and its was fairly equal with more sells towards the end of the week.

Given that RH stopped Buy trades on Thursday and restricted buys to 2, then 1 share on Friday I'm not surprised by that. But RH is only one of the brokers involved.

If you think that RH has 14m customers & half own GME, even if they average 2 shs each that's still 14m shs out of a float of 50m. That's quite a lot of stock held up.

And then there's the other brokers too. Probably not as much there but still a significant shareholding.

A lot of institutional investors (ETF mm) actually need to hold the shares to cover ETFs they've issued too. That's reducing the float more. Then there's insiders who hold shares & aren't or can't sell at the minute.
    Then there's option sellers who need to deliver shares due on Tuesday.

We could already be at the top of this squeeze or there may be more to go. Next few days will be very interesting. I still think the Reddit boys will hold on longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

No matter how romantic of an idea that a bunch of redditors are able to stick to hedge funds, reality is they can barely move the market price, their capital is just still too small. Reason GME poped is a bunch of other big dogs on the other side of the trade.

Even if you are hoping for 1k target, chances of it lasting more the couple seconds and your ****ty free retail broker operating at that time is nearly zero.

This. There were some huge orders in the last hour of trading on Friday. Some whale dived in to take it from 250 to 330, to ensure a huge chunk of options expired in the money. Redditors simply do not have the financial firepower to do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

Of course they are moving the price. You do realise manipulation can work both ways and for once it hasn't favoured the hedge funds.

The shorters have proven themselves to be nothing but a cancer to the market. A cancer that is willing to double and triple down on their mistakes.

Some very salty comments in here on GME.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,000 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Timmaay wrote: »
    This is the investment and markets forum. I'd suggest anyone who is totally bored and wants to do nothing other than gamble on stocks go create a thread on the gambling forum.

LOL cant help but love the ironic entitlement and superiority of this comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

PHUN might be worth a punt.
    Missed out on its most recent jump last week when it released plans for blockchain tech its putting out later this year. Blockchain enabled date systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

This is gambling plain and simple. There is nothing wrong with that as long as you know the risks......and it's fun to watch.

I've been clued to reddit , my Degiro account and frankfurt's GME price all of last week. I've never done that before. It was worth it in the end but not good for the mental health on a long term basis.

Two pieces of advice spring to mind ...

1. Either be early, be cleverer or cheat

2. A nugget from my farmer father in law ....leave a little bit for the next man.

The reddit users pushing the hold at all costs is not good advice ...... Look after your own patch and don't get left holding the bag. The fairytale story of everyone holding is not going to happen for long. People are greedy and out for themselves mostly. Profit is only realised when you sell !

• Advertisement

It's not as black and white as diamond hands or a paper hands bitch. ( My newly learned terminology) . Be shrewd, make a profit and move on !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

All well and good if GME goes to 1k...but when everyone rushes for the door who is going to buy the shares?

It will, at some stage, drop like a stone !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Following this one, unfollowed the old one. Thanks for setting this up!
    Bit of a pullback overall last week. Sticking with DCAing into my account as usual but ready to top up some holdings if a further drop off happens this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Stablelad123

Akesh wrote: »
    Of course they are moving the price. You do realise manipulation can work both ways and for once it hasn't favoured the hedge funds.

The shorters have proven themselves to be nothing but a cancer to the market. A cancer that is willing to double and triple down on their mistakes.

Some very salty comments in here on GME.

Would you ever give over. GME is an anomaly and is in no way reflective of the market in general. Shorting serves a purpose and in efficient markets it does it's job perfectly. In the case of GME it was a hedge fund that was badly positioned and retail and hedge funds pounced on this. The rest is history.

Did you ever wonder why they call them "hedge" funds. Well some of them like to hedge their long positions with shorts. So thanks to Melvin Capital capitulation on it's shorts it was also forced to sell it's long positions. So some of us got f'ed on our long holdings.

And let's not mention the hedge fund that made 100's millions by converting their debt notes to stock last week in AMC.

Seriously this whole "get the suits" narrative is so ridiculous. Should be changed to "get the suit aka Gabe Plotkin".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

This is gambling plain and simple. There is nothing wrong with that as long as you know the risks......and it's fun to watch.

I don’t buy this and this is coming from someone who only invested in basically all world ETFs until last week.

It’s high risk but if you classify it as gambling then all investments are gambling. Just because this isn’t based on ‘fundamentals’ doesn’t make it less legitimate as an investment.

Invest in Tesla, which has an non-sensical and astronomic valuation, and you’re an investor. Invest in GameStop and you’re a gambler, despite the fact GameStop is probably closer to its true value than Tesla has been for several years.

Despite all the high frequency trading, highly-educated bankers, bots, algorithms, etc. the market can be irrational. Momentum trading and speculating on GameStop is as legitimate as any other investment. Yes it’ll settle back to close to December values eventually but the circumstances around it will dictate it’s price for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Bit of an obscure one, and a real moonshot, KR1 PLC, market cap $60mn

They're a company involved in DeFi, which is essentially the next step of Bitcoin, building financial systems that are based on crypto rather than normal currencies. After last week's shenanegins with the Fed getting involved in Robinhood, I can see this getting more mainstream. The company is a small operations, out of Isle of Man, they essentially are consultants that help out setting up systems, but they get equity in the systems they setup so you're buying a stake in those. They also hold a lot of obscure crypto so as those prices rise, you get a chunk of those too. You can see a list of what they're invested in here
    https://www.kryptonite1.co/investments

This is a real longshot, one to stash in the portfolio and not to look at for a year or so. It only trades on some obscure exchanges, neither of which are on Degiro. In the UK, it's on the Aquis exchange under KR1, in Stuttgart it's on the Boirse exchange under K4H (you can buy this on Interactive Brokers). It was trading about 20c a share at Christmas, currently about 60c. I reckon it gets a run while this SEC investigation goes on, and if it goes for Nasdaq listing it would be a nice boost too.

I bought in about 2 weeks back at 50c

Is it just me? I call that up under German shares and identifies KR1 / K4H and then when i select "no results found"��

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Bob Harris wrote: »
    All well and good if GME goes to 1k...but when everyone rushes for the door who is going to buy the shares?

The hedge funds that need them to cover their position.

The way this has been set up is an exercise in transferring money feel the funds to the stock holders.

jive wrote: »
    I don’t buy this and this is coming from someone who only invested in basically all world ETFs until last week.

It’s high risk but if you classify it as gambling then all investments are gambling. Just because this isn’t based on ‘fundamentals’ doesn’t make it less legitimate as an investment.

Invest in Tesla, which has an non-sensical and astronomic valuation, and you’re an investor. Invest in GameStop and you’re a gambler, despite the fact GameStop is probably closer to its true value than Tesla has been for several years.

Despite all the high frequency trading, highly-educated bankers, bots, algorithms, etc. the market can be irrational. Momentum trading and speculating on GameStop is as legitimate as any other investment. Yes it’ll settle back to close to December values eventually but the circumstances around it will dictate it’s price for the time being.

Exactly. You buy a stock because you hope to make a higher return at a later date. Does it really matter what your reasoning is? No matter how many models or textbooks you throw at it, it's still going to be a risk.

I bought Hertz stock on a punt last year, I put no "fundamentals" research into it, it was just a hunch. My "fundamentals" friends told me I was wasting my money. I made a very healthy return when I sold it.

No one can predict the future. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Exactly. You buy a stock because you hope to make a higher return at a later date. Does it really matter what your reasoning is? No matter how many models or textbooks you throw at it, it's still going to be a risk.

I bought Hertz stock on a punt last year, I put no "fundamentals" research into it, it was just a hunch. My "fundamentals" friends told me I was wasting my money. I made a very healthy return when I sold it.

No one can predict the future. Simple as.

Yeah sur when a blindfolded monkey throwing darts can beat professional and amature investors I don't really get why people are taking a high moral ground about investing in these momentum stocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭This is it

When would we know the extent of Melvin's losses, or will it ever actually be realised?

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Yeah sur when a blindfolded monkey throwing darts can beat professional and amature investors I don't really get why people are taking a high moral ground about investing in these momentum stocks.

They have the fundamentals though, that's why everyone on this thread is a billionaire.

Why have Gamestop said nothing? Surely they should be releasing more shares to gather in a pile of cash? If they did this, even if the stock later plummeted back to near where it was, the new board combined with a pile of cash would allow them to attack the online space better, and would altogether improve the fundamentals of the company. If they raise cash this way and the stock later totally plummets I would be tempted to buy some stock when it hits bottom to sit on for a while with a view to the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Why have Gamestop said nothing? Surely they should be releasing more shares to gather in a pile of cash? If they did this, even if the stock later plummeted back to near where it was, the new board combined with a pile of cash would allow them to attack the online space better, and would altogether improve the fundamentals of the company. If they raise cash this way and the stock later totally plummets I would be tempted to buy some stock when it hits bottom to sit on for a while with a view to the long term.

They may be enjoying the free publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

The purpose of the short attack was to put GameStop out of business so they would never have to repurchase the shares. A companies first priority is to its shareholders so why would they open a situation for that to happen to them again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

This is it wrote: »
    When would we know the extent of Melvin's losses, or will it ever actually be realised?

Melvin lost $4.5bn in January, can't see if all of that/less than that/more than that was on GME

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

This "release more shares" would only be sold to big corporates, and they aren't going to buy it at this levels. Simialrly, nobody is going to allow Gamestop take them over using stock as they usually would, as again, the price is very misleading.

There's not a whole lot they can do with the current circumstance

Looking forward to the week ahead. Won't be buying anymore, but going in with my AMC up 150% and my Nokia down 30%, just gonna let them play out and see if my exit plan kicks it.

Feels like Christmas, exicted going to sleep tonight, although I genuinely have no idea if Santa's bringing a windfall or gonna leave me empty handed

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Is it just me? I call that up under German shares and identifies KR1 / K4H and then when i select "no results found"��

Interactive Brokers are the only broker I use that have it listed. It's a bit of an obscure one, hence if you can get it now, it's cheap, if it lists on AIM/OTC exchanges it will become more accessible and price will go up with more buyers
    https://in.tradingview.com/symbols/SWB-K4H/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

This is it wrote: »
    Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Melvin lost $4.5bn in January, can't see if all of that/less than that/more than that was on GME

there were reports on Reuters that Melvin capital started Jan with 12.5b in assets. They took an injection/loan from Citadel of 2.75b and are down to 8bn in assets.

Plus additional fund investments (not disclosed that I can see).

So they've lost at least 7bn in Jan (12.5+2.75-8 =7)

Advertisement