Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Gambling is illegal in most US States, investing isn't.

Drugs are both legal and illegal in those states, too. It just depends on how you define them.

Investing in stocks is absolutely a gamble, no matter how many textbooks you use to justify your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Gamestonk up 8% in Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Anyone hear anything about Ripple (XRP)?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Drugs are both legal and illegal in those states, too. It just depends on how you define them.

Investing in stocks is absolutely a gamble, no matter how many textbooks you use to justify your decision.
    I take gambling to mean sports betting or card games, where you win or lose a bet on a single outcome and the bookmakers stack the odds against you.

I don't agree that the stock market shares that characteristic.

If you're being pedantic, then everything's a gamble. You should stay indoors today in case you get knocked down crossing a road. You can make the odds work in your favour by managing risk (either in how you invest, or how you cross the road)

I take gambling to mean sports betting or card games, where you win or lose a bet on a single outcome and the bookmakers stack the odds against you.

I don't agree that the stock market shares that characteristic.

If you're being pedantic, then everything's a gamble. You should stay indoors today in case you get knocked down crossing a road. You can make the odds work in your favour by managing risk (either in how you invest, or how you cross the road)

Perhaps you lose less in a bad investment versus a bad bet, sure. But at the end of the day you're risking money in the hope of gaining a return.

Label it in whatever way helps you sleep well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,000 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

You can make the odds work in your favour by managing risk (either in how you invest, or how you cross the road)

Exactly the same can be said about sports betting. The stock market is gambling, anyone who believes otherwise is deluding themselves.

Perhaps you lose less in a bad investment versus a bad bet, sure. But at the end of the day you're risking money in the hope of gaining a return.

Label it in whatever way helps you sleep well.

Okay put it this way,

Banks won't let me get a mortgage if I've been gambling heavily, they'll have no problem if I've been investing heavily.

Government want tax on my Investment gains, they don't on my gambling gains.

So there's definitely a few distinctions defined in law.

Anyway, onto the main show, futures open
    AMC +28% :)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭cizolin

Put couple hundred on AMC over the wkend, when at 13.46...I won't get this price at opening will I..it will be the best available price so should I cancel and wait for it dip or what's best action to take

cizolin wrote: »
    Put couple hundred on AMC over the wkend, when at 13.46...I won't get this price at opening will I..it will be the best available price so should I cancel and wait for it dip or what's best action to take

Give it 20mns at open, there'll be a few people take profit if it opens up 20%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

VinLieger wrote: »
    Exactly the same can be said about sports betting. The stock market is gambling, anyone who believes otherwise is deluding themselves.

Day traders are betting, investors who are in it for the long haul are not. Leaving all your money in a bank is also a risk.

• Advertisement

Okay put it this way,

Banks won't let me get a mortgage if I've been gambling heavily, they'll have no problem if I've been investing heavily.

Government want tax on my Investment gains, they don't on my gambling gains.

So there's definitely a few distinctions defined in law.

Anyway, onto the main show, futures open
    AMC +28% :)

I know that. Because investing is a gentleman's pursuit and gambling is for lowlifes. It's just a double standard.

It's like when the state says that drugs are bad, but let you smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol.

Pointing to the law is a weak argument. But yes, I'd rather talk about the stonks.

Day traders are betting, investors who are in it for the long haul are not. Leaving all your money in a bank is also a risk.

Long term investors may not want to believe it but its still a gamble as things like pandemics can come along and wipe out any gains overnight.

cizolin wrote: »

That’s a gamble it could well pay off but the establishment are onto that game now. I would have no idea what the best move. That old egg your investment could go down as well as up....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

GME up 13% to $366 out of hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭thomas 123

robman60 wrote: »
    GME up 13% to $366 out of hours

Tracking it here - hard to know if it will translate to opening on the NYSE, it has done on GME everytime so far.

Long term investors may not want to believe it but its still a gamble as things like pandemics can come along and wipe out any gains overnight.
    Yeah that pandemic that "wiped out" our gains last year? Nasdaq ended up 48% for the year :D

Gambling, you lose it goes to zero, investing, it comes down 40/50% but then goes back up

I know that. Because investing is a gentleman's pursuit and gambling is for lowlifes. It's just a double standard.

It's like when the state says that drugs are bad, but let you smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol.

Pointing to the law is a weak argument. But yes, I'd rather talk about the stonks.
    The Law is a weak argument?

That's like saying I can't argue with facts there Donald :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Everything in life is a gamble if you look at it that way. You gamble that when you go to sleep you'll wake up in the morning.

There's a clear distinction between long term investing and betting on a stocks price movement over a day or few days.

Also a long term investor would be unfazed by a pandemic considering their investment is long term and should be diversified. If you want to boil it down to a gamble, then the bet for a long term investor with a proven and sensibly diversified portfolio, is that the world economy as we know it continues to operate as expected over the coming decades. Which it has done for the last 100+ years.

That's a lot lot different to throwing 500 quid on GameStop at the opening price and looking to profit quickly.

As a side note: the fair value for GameStop in its current state is somewhere between 15-35 dollars in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,334 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Silverr and AMC up. Got to GME waaay too late, don't have the balls to put anything on it.

Hopefully Silver and AMC follow suit. Head of commodities research saying silver does not have the naked short positions GME had but reckons this flow could intice the extra liquidity in the market onto it.

In social media talk he basically means FOMO but damn if he doesn't put a nice educated college spin to it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Every day you gamble when you fart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bish76

Buying stocks impacted by Covid and planning to hold for at least two years. So far in my list are Carnival and IAG. Other suggestions please.

The Law is a weak argument?

That's like saying I can't argue with facts there Donald :D

Ok, so in 1990 homosexuality was illegal. Therefore being gay was obviously wrong because the law said so. Right?

Pointing to the law is a weak argument because the law isn't always right. Why do I need to point this out? Maybe have a coffee and wake up?

Besides, "let's talk about AMC goys" right? I'm done with your weak arguments. There's a saying that springs to mind for this scenario...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Every day you gamble when you fart

An even bigger gamble if you're over 70

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    An even bigger gamble if you're over 70

I'm half that age and it's touch and go sometimes! :D

I do find the superior attitude of investments types on here kind of ridiculous. Why are you belittling this thing and the people involved so much?

This is a unique event, in only a matter of days millions of people across the world have suddenly become interested and way more educated in the stock market in ways they never would have without this event. Many will very probably stick around and keep investing in other things now they have accounts on the various platforms.

Instead of being so condescending and superior maybe try to see the benefit that more money is gonna go into the markets and there are new people joining your hobby/community that you might maybe try to welcome them and show them how all their impressions of stock market types are wrong instead of just reinforcing those stereotypes with arrogant posting styles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Good morning all, sorry if this is wrong place to ask:

I bought €1000 silver on eToro last Friday lunch time, I just found out it was closed last night at 11:30pm by the platform, i did receive a 50.04% profit but I don't understand why this happened and I was planning to hold for a while.

Thank you in advance.

I do find the superior attitude of investments types on here kind of ridiculous. Why are you belittling this thing and the people involved so much?

This is a unique event, in only a matter of days millions of people across the world have suddenly become interested and way more educated in the stock market in ways they never would have without this event. Many will very probably stick around and keep investing in other things now they have accounts on the various platforms.

Instead of being so condescending and superior maybe try to see the benefit that more money is gonna go into the markets and there are new people joining your hobby/community that you might maybe try to welcome them and show them how all their impressions of stock market types are wrong instead of just reinforcing those stereotypes with arrogant posting styles?
    Definitely not what this thread is about, and sorry I’ve it comes across that way. There’s been lots of folk on here that join every month and everyone happy to help out and advise. We’re all average Joes here, no suits pushing any agenda. This argument started last night from trying to help people who thought this was gambling. There’s a very easy way to tilt the odds in your favour so we’re happy to teach anyone who wants to learn

Canonfan wrote: »
    Good morning all, sorry if this is wrong place to ask:

I bought €1000 silver on eToro last Friday lunch time, I just found out it was closed last night at 11:30pm by the platform, i did receive a 50.04% profit but I don't understand why this happened and I was planning to hold for a while.

Thank you in advance.

Essentially its the same thing as what happened with Gamestop and with AMC also. I would add that boards is not the place for investment advice, yesterday it was game stop tomorrow it will be Huge Fruit Inc.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

'Swiss National Bank makes profit of 43 million Gamestop'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Xaniaj

Essentially its the same thing as what happened with Gamestop and with AMC also. I would add that boards is not the place for investment advice, yesterday it was game stop tomorrow it will be Huge Fruit Inc.

I think he's asking why his position has closed as opposed to why it appreciated 50%!

To the question, no idea, you didn't buy it on margin did you?

Advertisement