Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Phoebas wrote: »
    Planet Money did a podcast on this over the weekend. Interviewed a guy that put his 200k savings into this (said it was for a house deposit) and cashed in his 401k - another 100k. He got out with something around 3m. The pressure to sell must have been enormous.

Now that is one of two things
    Pure madness
    or
    Balls of steel

Well done to the lad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭circadian

It may well do (I hope it does - it's fascinating).
    Just sayin'- there are a lot of people who spent their weekend spending their gains in their head. They'll have gone into this thing thinking 'ok I've put a grand into this, hate to lose that but I can deal with it'. If that grand has turned into 10 grand over the last week, that thought process might be a fair bit different now.

Edit: Planet Money did a podcast on this over the weekend. Interviewed a guy that put his 200k savings into this (said it was for a house deposit) and cashed in his 401k - another 100k. He got out with something around 3m. The pressure to sell must have been enormous.

Yeah I think the weekend will have a lot of people weighing up their options this morning. I still think the holders might outnumber them as there is definitely momentum in the absurd % increase in such a short period of time.

I'd certainly expect some massive dips today from opening but I'd be interested to see where it levels out at midday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,000 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

daheff wrote: »
    we all know how GME will end once the squeeze is over. the stock price will fall apart.

Its just a case of when and who ends up holding the stock when its down at rock bottom again.

calling the bottom of this could be just as important for some as calling the top.

most stocks over sell/over buy, so when the prices falls it'll go really low. could be another buying opportunity for some. buying some cheap out of the money puts now could be a trade

Is there any latest estimates from over the weekend on what the short position is at currently? I saw suggestions near close on Friday it was still at 110%+

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

There are a whole pile of people who are sitting on big (unrealised) gains and more that are bought in at prices there they risk big losses if this pops quickly.

There's a big risk that despite all the rhetoric of diamond hands and holding the line, if the sentiment in this group goes negative because they see the stock dropping, they'll get out too and we'll in in a downward spiral; anything that can go up a thousand percent in a few days can go down even faster.
    And its not like these investors are relying on any fundamentals to value the stock - it's all about confidence in the strength of the herd.

yes i agree, currently shorts are liquiding holding in good stocks like MSFT etc..this is good for us normal people who should see value in those stocks, but the reddit mantra of HOLD when does this become SELL, some shorts are in it for the short term Feb, March. i can can see those hold positions moving to the next stock that shorts are holding. so the like of GME will go down at some stage(soon).

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Now that is one of two things
    Pure madness
    or
    Balls of steel

Well done to the lad

easy come easy go...

• Advertisement

Silver mining companies – Stocks like Pan Am Silver (PAAS), Wheaton Precious Metals (WPM), Hecla Mining (HL) and others are jumping as the price of silver surges. Silver has also caught the attention of the Reddit community, leading to a buying binge. - CNBC

• Registered Users Posts: 18,000 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

MikeSoys wrote: »
    Silver mining companies – Stocks like Pan Am Silver (PAAS), Wheaton Precious Metals (WPM), Hecla Mining (HL) and others are jumping as the price of silver surges. Silver has also caught the attention of the Reddit community, leading to a buying binge. - CNBC

LOL at CNBC saying its also caught the attention of Reddit when that's actually where it started.

They really are scvm ****ing journalism

Glad I had a productive morning in work, don't think I'll be getting much done after lunch...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

AMC appears to be feeling the love more this morning than the other targets from last week

• Registered Users Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Bit off topic but who have you got the PRSA pension with? I'm looking to convert my existing pension to a PRSA in order to have more control over it. Also have money in a company I own that I'm looking to take money out of through my pension.

Mine is with Davy - https://www.davyselect.ie/pensions/personal-retirement-savings-account-prsa.html

A couple of caveats - they charge 30€ to buy US stocks (any amount) which is a bit rich.
    Buying stocks in Ireland and the UK are free apart from stamp duty, anywhere else prepare for large transaction fees.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    AMC appears to be feeling the love more this morning than the other targets from last week

might look to see if its goes to $20, unless it goes parabolic [keep an eye to it] and try and not be too greedy.

circadian wrote: »
    One to watch, Sega Sammy Holdings, the parent company of Sega (yes the Sonic Sega). They've divided up the company into separate entities which suggests a possible takeover of one of these divisions. It could also be a case of cutting their pachinko and other arcade based coin machines off as they've had a massive dip due to Covid.

One thing to note is the sheer amount of IP that Sega holds and are doing very little with. I have fond memories of the Mega Drive and the Sega owned properties is a very, very long list.

I won't be taking a dip just yet but I'll be keeping a close eye on this one.

Microsoft are gobbling up games companies right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

treatyman wrote: »
    I have my AVC maxed out so am buying these after tax unfortunately. Does it still make sense doing it this way? If I have spare few hundred each month I was hoping it would be better than leaving it sit in the bank.

Sure, though there is always a risk the shares could dump, though investing over a long timeframe and diversifying reduces the risk somewhat, you'll earn next to zero in interest in the bank otherwise.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭peterofthebr

Microsoft are gobbling up games companies right now.

Aye they'd be my first suspect too but I wonder how much they can buy up before the likes of Sony and Steam start to protest at their market getting monopolised by Microsoft like that.

circadian wrote: »
    Aye they'd be my first suspect too but I wonder how much they can buy up before the likes of Sony and Steam start to protest at their market getting monopolised by Microsoft like that.

Sure Sony have been doing it for years, it's just Microsoft have waaay more capital.

Steam need to move with times, their business model isn't going to last.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Just ring the bell already!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

AMC doing well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭crushproof

Shock horror T212 is down

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭in2dark

crushproof wrote: »
    Shock horror T212 is down

Its getting ridiculous with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

degiro prices looks to be frozen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Yeah defo a problem with the feed for degiro.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheBetsy

Degiro can't even place an order these brokers are absolutely ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Degiro :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

212 is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

eToro have been the most reliable ones since last week.

What are people planning to sell AMC for?

rumours on WSB that citadel have a huge silver position, and looking to drive up price to pay for GME exposure - cant wait for the movie. will Jim cramer be playing himself i wonder.

Extremely low volume on GME compared to some others and to the start of last week. Nothing is really moving anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

MikeSoys wrote: »
    rumours on WSB that citadel have a huge silver position, and looking to drive up price to pay for GME exposure - cant wait for the movie. will Jim cramer be playing himself i wonder.

MGM have taken the rights... No joke.

https://deadline.com/2021/01/mgm-ben-mezrichs-the-antisocial-network-wall-street-1234684378/

• Advertisement

Folks, I use Degiro for my trades and while some of the orders have been a little slower than usual today they've been fine.

One thing I will point out is their realtime info has never been great. Webull have a pretty good web UI that's quick and their desktop apps are decent too, much better than Degiro for candle watching.

Advertisement