Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18 months for Carragaline stabbing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I know two lads that battered a fella outside a chipper one night , they left him with brain damage and he hasn't been right since . One got a year and a half in jail and the other got 4 years. They spent their time in prison playing football , video games and smoking weed. My brother in law got a pint glass shoved into his face by a traveller he'd to get 30 stitches on his face . He went to the Garda and they advised him not to go court as he'd only get 6 months in jail and as the travellers family were well known scumbags the Gardai reckoned it would come back on him or his family when he got out prison

Sounds absolutely awful.

In the case discussed has there been any reason why a section 3 assault was prosecuted? Based on the information that is available it seems such a strange decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

ElJeffe wrote: »
    It say's a lot that this is the first time im reading about this story. I'm in no doubt if the roles are reversed we are hearing about this as the lead story on main stream irish media outlets and being lectured by people the ilk of Ivana Bacik about how racist we are as a society.

The sentence itself is pathetic and par for the course in Ireland. If he'd stabbed an ATM he'd of got longer.

Isn't this the case that basically got the Ireland subreddit shut down temporarily because mods there didn't want people posting that this was a racially motivated attack?

I think where we are at as a country is that outrage is allowed and even encouraged but only within set parameters.

The fact that the people committing this attack actually had no issue posting footage online should be deeply troubling to all of us and should make a story like this hit national, if not international, news.

Like, there's lads out there right now who would have no issue stabbing you in the street and would be so unconcerned about the consequences that they'll just openly and brazenly share the footage of the incident.

Gotta be careful though. What if the far right feel emboldened by the story? We can't have that! Bury it! Don't discuss it! If you must talk about it then be sure to deflect, deflect, deflect!

Now, what's going on in America? That's what we all really care about after all, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    extremely rare for eastern europeans to marry someone who isnt white , are you sure about that ?

I know 2 eastern european women that have kids by Africans . One of them is happily married to him but she was telling me at the time it took her parents a long time to come around to accepting it. The other one has nothing to do with african as he's to busy sowing his oats around Dublin to see his kid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    Isn't this the case that basically got the Ireland subreddit shut down temporarily because mods there didn't want people posting that this was a racially motivated attack?

I think where we are at as a country is that outrage is allowed and even encouraged but only within set parameters.

The fact that the people committing this attack actually had no issue posting footage online should be deeply troubling to all of us and should make a story like this hit national, if not international, news.

Like, there's lads out there right now who would have no issue stabbing you in the street and would be so unconcerned about the consequences that they'll just openly and brazenly share the footage of the incident.

Gotta be careful though. What if the far right feel emboldened by the story? We can't have that! Bury it! Don't discuss it! If you must talk about it then be sure to deflect, deflect, deflect!

Now, what's going on in America? That's what we all really care about after all, right?

Anytime opinions start popping up that they don't like, they pretend that outsiders are trying to take over the sub and shut it down at night time as they're not around to remove comments that they don't like. It's funny because years ago they used to claim superiority to boards, due to how censorious boards is, yet now they are far worse.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Pretty sure the subreddit was taken down because it was a case before the courts, like with any discussion on boards.

Don’t let that get in the way of a grand censorship conspiracy theory though.

As for those bitching to the judge, he wasn’t found guilty of attempted murder therefore can’t be sentenced for attempted murder.

Some people really need to learn how the justice system works before passing uninformed remarks like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

So that's a 5 month jail term then.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I know two lads that battered a fella outside a chipper one night , they left him with brain damage and he hasn't been right since . One got a year and a half in jail and the other got 4 years. They spent their time in prison playing football , video games and smoking weed. My brother in law got a pint glass shoved into his face by a traveller he'd to get 30 stitches on his face . He went to the Garda and they advised him not to go court as he'd only get 6 months in jail and as the travellers family were well known scumbags the Gardai reckoned it would come back on him or his family when he got out prison

Exact same thing happened someone I know in Limerick when they were mugged. Gardai knew who the getaway vehicle belonged to, victim had a good description of the people involved.
    Also happened to someone I know who had car parts robbed.
    How about the Gardai do their jobs? Imagine this happening in America or Germany? Maybe it would? Catch 22 situation....?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Your Face wrote: »
    So that's a 5 month jail term then.

Remission is 33%

Means a 12 month term, unless he's been in custody since the incident.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    The racial aspect of the case was used by the defense

"Mr Boyle said of the defendant: “He was subjected to hatred in the community, focusing on the event and his ethnicity.” The barrister said the defendant had since moved out of Cork. "

Lol, no fncking wonder, justice system is a joke. The fnckers involved should get 10 to 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

This sort of thing will be the new normal if the governments current policy continues.

I would hazard a guess the hate speech legislation will be used in tandem with this upsurge in racist attacks to keep the citizens from speaking openly on it also.

Why is it so controversial that we should only import people that we actually need and that will integrate fully?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

John Doe1 wrote: »

Why is it so controversial that we should only import people that we actually need and that will integrate fully?
    Money. Most of the reason is down to money. From the legal profession, to hotel owners, to Direct Provision providers, massive NGO CEO salaries and asylum NGO staff, etc. etc.; the asylum industry is huge business in Ireland, and many (Irish) people are making millions from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Acosta

The guy is a scumbag who is very lucky not to get a longer sentence, but it wasn't a racist attack.

National party members did their upmost best to drum up as much racial hate as possible when this happened by getting their racist buddies state side to help get it trending, posting lies about "African" gangs and trying to badger media outlets to publicise the online fundraiser they organised. Something the victims family wanted nothing to do with once they knew who was behind it and what their agenda was.

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Remission is 33%

Means a 12 month term, unless he's been in custody since the incident.

Just to clarify that remission (good behaviour) is 25% as long as no offence is committed while incarcerated. Still find that the case is abhorrent and I am shocked that the charge was section 3.

The only thing that I can think of is the fact that the accused was under 18 at the time not that it makes sense. Just to confirm that I am just clarifying the percentage and not making any excuse.

Hope that the victim and his family are OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

If a gang kicked the sh!t out of me and stabbed me, I wouldn't give a fnck whether it was a racist attack or not. I'd be upset about having been badly beaten and stabbed.

I find it odd that law and order is not a bigger priority for mainstream parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Faugheen wrote: »
    Pretty sure the subreddit was taken down because it was a case before the courts, like with any discussion on boards.

Don’t let that get in the way of a grand censorship conspiracy theory though.
    You're wrong there,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Thread cleaned up and some posters banned for outright racist nonsense. I've deleted a multitude of posts that are off topic too.

Folks, there is absolutely no problem with discussing the racial element (or not, I don't know and frankly don't care - it's a horrific attack and a stupid lenient sentence) of the attack.

But can we avoid stepping over the line into outright racism like a number of posters have already been banned for? Is that too much to ask?

Stay civil, discuss the topic and follow site rules. Simple instructions to follow.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭sonic85

How the hell can people do sh!t like this to another human? What goes through someone's head to beat the crap out of someone and then stab them repeatedly? Pure scum. Every member of that gang should be fcuked in jail for a long time including the twat that recorded the video - pushing the girl out of the way so he could get a better shot of the injured lads face. Horrendous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Absolutely shocked by that video... can't believe the offender got such a short sentence. We should be bringing in punishment to the judges that hand out such lenient sentences for violent attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Necro wrote: »
    Mod:

Folks, there is absolutely no problem with discussing the racial element (or not, I don't know and frankly don't care - it's a horrific attack and a stupid lenient sentence) of the attack.

Fair play for cleaning up the thread.

But I'm puzzled why you wouldn't care if there was a racial/racist aspect to the attack (or maybe I'm misunderstanding you).

If someone said they didn't care about the possibility of a racial/racist aspect of the George Floyd attack in America for example, surely there'd be uproar.

Theres a serious asymmetry there.

But I'm puzzled why you wouldn't care if there was a racial/racist aspect to the attack (or maybe I'm misunderstanding you).

If someone said they didn't care about the possibility of a racial/racist aspect of the George Floyd attack in America for example, surely there'd be uproar.

There is a huge difference between allowing a discussion of a racial element than allowing racist discussion. I really don't know how it is possible to misunderstand this.

• Advertisement

joeguevara wrote: »
    There is a huge difference between allowing a discussion of a racial element than allowing racist discussion. I really don't know how it is possible to misunderstand this.

Who said there was misunderstanding between allowing discussion of a racial element to the attack and allowing racist discussion.

Did you read my post at all.

I asked specifically why the poster said he didn't care if there was a racial/racist aspect to the attack.
    (and added a caveat that I may have misunderstood what he meant by this specifically).

Not sure why you're talking about confusion about the difference between allowing racist discussion and allowing discussion of a racial element to the attack.

There's no confusion about such a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    The racial aspect of the case was used by the defense

"Mr Boyle said of the defendant: “He was subjected to hatred in the community, focusing on the event and his ethnicity.” The barrister said the defendant had since moved out of Cork. "

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40194798.html
    statesaver wrote: »
    Went to Limerick after the attack. Posted video from there on social media.

That was part of his bail conditions.

So was staying off Social Media but that didn't last 48 hours :(

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Strumms wrote: »

Racism don’t really enter into it... the main concern are for citizens of this country, health and wellbeing..a child in this case being forcefully and violently attacked with a broken bottle, which has the capacity to kill, yet the kid who committed said attack gets a slap on the wrist... the victim probably will need to live with the impact for a long time to come... whatever about physically certainly psychologically....

I was a little older but I certainly felt the repercussions of a much lesser ordeal in town.

I agree racism doesnt come into it. I agree how horrendous it was. Posters here on the other hand are trying to repeat the lies of racist white supremacists like Gearoid Murphy

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I agree racism doesnt come into it. I agree how horrendous it was. Posters here on the other hand are trying to repeat the lies of racist white supremacists like Gearoid Murphy

Joey I notice you did not reply to my post.

I asked why the poster didn't care whether there was a racial/racist aspect to the attack.

And contrasted this with saying such a thing with the likes of the George Floyd incident.

Do you also understand there is no confusion (and there never was) about the difference between allowing racist discussion and allowing discussion of possible racist aspects of this attack.

Doesn't change anything is my answer. It's still a horrific attack and the sentence is disgraceful. I don't view things through a racial lens, it's that simple.

My own personal opinion by the way, not in the capacity as a moderator.

A horrible attack is a horrible attack and it doesn't (or shouldn't) matter the colour, creed, or anything else about the victim or the perpetrator. It simply shouldn't happen and those responsible should be locked up for a long, long time.

(Normally mod notes are supposed to be responded to via PM but I'll let it slide this time :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

There is no law in many towns and villages in Ireland , criminal gangs can do what they want .

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

KNACK LIVES MATTER

Necro wrote: »
    Doesn't change anything is my answer. It's still a horrific attack and the sentence is disgraceful. I don't view things through a racial lens, it's that simple.

My own personal opinion by the way, not in the capacity as a moderator.

A horrible attack is a horrible attack and it doesn't (or shouldn't) matter the colour, creed, or anything else about the victim or the perpetrator. It simply shouldn't happen and those responsible should be locked up for a long, long time.

(Normally mod notes are supposed to be responded to via PM but I'll let it slide this time :) )

Thank you for responding .

Strikes me as an odd attitude to have.

Surely if an attack was a racist attack (not this one, but in general), you no longer view things with that lens.

So can I presume you view the likes of the George Floyd incident and the response it prompted in the US with this non-racial lens.

Since, IIRC, there was nothing explicitly racist about it (in terms of what the cops said etc). Can I presume you view the response to it as absurd (outside of the police brutality angle which is a general issue).

Not entirely sure about whether there were racist aspects to the Carragaline attack (someone else can confirm if there was a racist aspect to it from stuff online. IIRC, the attack was in response to the young victim not putting a black square up on his twitter in support of BLM).

But either way are you saying you don't care about such a discussion. Again strikes me as odd.

I presume it's ok to respond to your last post (which isn't a mod note).

Its a very simple rule of thumb:

White assailant- POC victim= Racially aggravated attack/assault. Far right on the rise etc.

POC Assailant- White victim: are those white extremists trying to capitalise on it?

• Advertisement

Thank you for responding .

Strikes me as an odd attitude to have.

Surely if an attack was a racist attack (not this one, but in general), you no longer view things with that lens.

So can I presume you view the likes of the George Floyd incident and the response it prompted in the US with this non-racial lens.

Since, IIRC, there was nothing explicitly racist about it (in terms of what the cops said etc). Can I presume you view the response to it as absurd (outside of the police brutality angle which is a general issue).

Not entirely sure about whether there were racist aspects to the Carragaline attack (someone else can confirm if there was a racist aspect to it from stuff online. IIRC, the attack was in response to the young victim not putting a black square up on his twitter in support of BLM).

But either way are you saying you don't care about such a discussion. Again strikes me as odd.

I presume it's ok to respond to your last post (which isn't a mod note).

There are much more pertinent things in life to be worrying about is my own view.

Advertisement