Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18 months for Carragaline stabbing

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Don't care whether racist attack or not. 18 months is clearly ridiculous. Honestly there should be protests and marches over the so-called "justice system" in this country.

Yet there were protests and marches over the justice system in another Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

Don't care whether racist attack or not. 18 months is clearly ridiculous. Honestly there should be protests and marches over the so-called "justice system" in this country.

Even if they do go to jail and get longer sentences sure it's 3 meals a day, comfy bed, television etc...home from home for them.

Kid gloves everywhere.

Jokeshop.

He was 17 at the time he did the attack if i've got my facts straight? You'd expect a lesser sentence due to him not being an adult in the eyes of the law. There was also a pretty significant hijacking of the case by the far right which led to his pictures and information posted on twitter. Maybe the judge took the backlash into account.

Clearly he committed a scumbag act and should be punished.

However the far right acted appallingly as usual and seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that they turn people against them by doing this. Their hatred and racism blinds them to this. They jump all over crimes committed by non nationals and use them for their own agenda. Clearly they don't care about general crime or they would have had something to say about a teenage boy being chopped up in Coolock. That was committed by our own white Irish so they don't mention it. I've never actually seen that covered by any so called right winger surprisingly.

There was also a pretty significant hijacking of the case by the far right which led to his pictures and information posted on twitter.

Maybe the judge took the backlash into account.

That's one of the stupidest things I think I've ever heard.

He posted his own footage of the attack on twitter and boasted about it FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

He was 17 at the time he did the attack if i've got my facts straight? You'd expect a lesser sentence due to him not being an adult in the eyes of the law. There was also a pretty significant hijacking of the case by the far right which led to his pictures and information posted on twitter. Maybe the judge took the backlash into account.

However the far right acted appallingly as usual and seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that they turn people against them by doing this. Their hatred and racism blinds them to this. They jump all over crimes committed by non nationals and use them for their own agenda. Clearly they don't care about general crime or they would have had something to say about a teenage boy being chopped up in Coolock. That was committed by our own white Irish so they don't mention it. I've never actually seen that covered by any so called right winger surprisingly.

Shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Here's a woman that tried to kill 2 teenage girls recently and isn't doing any time at all
    https://www.thejournal.ie/mother-drove-at-teenagers-suspended-jailterm-5300808-Dec2020/

• Advertisement

Can you prove he did that? I'm not too up to date on the case. Not saying it didn't happen but clearly you have no credibility as you seem to have an agenda.

Have you made any posts in relation to the crimes committed by our own white Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Maybe "our own white Irish" hijacked his Twitter account and posted the attack.
    I find the deflection on here by some posters to be quite perverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Shame on you.

Not much wrong with that post really. Racist white supremacists jumped on this attack to try to propagandise it and sew racists hate and division. They did the same with the Balbriggan house fire.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Not much wrong with that post really. Racist white supremacists jumped on this attack to try to propagandise it and sew racists hate and division. They did the same with the Balbriggan house fire.

Yeah the fire was caused by an electrical fault.

The carrigaline lads accounts got hacked by far right lads from what I read. They got a shock when they saw several random irish girls had messaged him after seeing his picture :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Kivaro wrote: »
    Maybe "our own white Irish" hijacked his Twitter account and posted the attack.

That’s preposterous, they were clearly dumping rubbish on traveller halting sites at the time.

• Advertisement

It took you about 7 posts on here to say anything negative about the attack on the young lad. Your immediate go-to was to talk about the far-right. It’s a worrying attitude you have. If people in power share it, it’s a scary thought. I mentioned something to this effect earlier but it magically disappeared. Hopefully it’s deemed worthy enough to remain this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

So much wrong with this I don't know where to start.
    He was trialled as a 18 year old adult.
    He posted footage of the attack himself and boasted about it online.
    He racially abused the victim during attack too.
    Plus the names of all members of the gang that cut up Keane Mulready were posted online too.

Do you consider the attack on the young man here as racist or supremacist? Will you condemn it as such? Or will you bury your head in the sand and not watch it and brush it off.

GiftofGab wrote: »
    So much wrong with this I don't know where to start.
    He was trialled as a 18 year old adult.
    He posted footage of the attack himself and boasted about it online.
    He racially abused the victim during attack too.
    Plus the names of all members of the gang that cut up Keane Mulready were posted online too.

Need evidence that he was tried as an adult and his age when committing the offense wasn't taken into account? Also need evidence that he posted the attack himself and that he racially abused the victim during the attack. You wouldn't be ordinarily asked for this evidence on a far right site I know.

Where was the uproar from the far right about the teen getting chopped up or the numerous other cases of white crime? All im saying is that the far right don't do themselves any favours by jumping on cases like this, hacking the guys accounts, blasting racism all over social media etc. It really doesn't help them. The far rights in Ireland are just embarrassing. At least in the UK the likes of Farage are well polished and pretty smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Disgraceful post. Are you really so conditioned ideology that you can’t acknowledge the savagery implicit in this case? A poor, young lad was mercilessly set upon by a bunch of lowlifes, who beat him within an inch of his life.

Instead of acknowledging that fact and condemning the appallingly lenient sentence, your ‘go to’ is to point the finger at some imagined, racist white supremacist bogeyman. In the unlikely event that there is any such movement in Ireland, it’s probably comprised of a single digit number of oddballs.

Frankly, some serious self-reflection is required on your part. The world view that you are espousing here is seriously distorted.

Hamachi wrote: »
    Disgraceful post. Are you really so conditioned ideology that you can’t acknowledge the savagery implicit in this case? A poor, young lad was mercilessly set upon by a bunch of lowlifes, who beat him within an inch of his life.

Instead of acknowledging that fact and condemning the appallingly lenient sentence, your ‘go to’ is to point the finger at some imagined, racist white supremacist bogeyman. In the unlikely event that there is any such movement in Ireland, it’s probably comprised of a single digit number of oddballs.

Frankly, some serious self-reflection is required on your part. The world view that you are espousing here is seriously distorted.

I think we are just separating the case into two parts. Firstly the assault which as you quite rightly say was nothing but sheer savagery and deserved a harsher punishment. However, I think we can all agree that a lesser punishment than we feel is right is somewhat the norm. I seem to always feel that the sentence doesn't fit the crime in the majority of cases. Perhaps not knowing the technicalities of the law is burdensome in that respect.

Then theres the other side where a bunch of lowlife racists jump on a bandwagon and use this incident to further their own racist agenda which virtually everyone thinks is scumbaggery.

Then theres the other side where a bunch of lowlife racists jump on a bandwagon and use this incident to further their own racist agenda which virtually everyone thinks is scumbaggery.

Both sides are as bad as one another. The attempts of that other poster to deflect from and downplay the savagery of this attack is truly disgusting. It’s incomprehensible how somebody can’t rise above entrenched ideology to acknowledge the level of debasement here.

The far right, if it even exists as a movement in this country, has negligible influence today. However, attitudes like those professed by that poster, will broaden the potential audience of those susceptible to their ideology.

Hamachi wrote: »
    Both sides are as bad as one another. The attempts of that other poster to deflect from and downplay the savagery of this attack is truly disgusting. It’s incomprehensible how somebody can’t rise above entrenched ideology to acknowledge the level of debasement here.

The far right, if it even exists as a movement in this country, has negligible influence today. However, attitudes like those professed by that poster, will broaden the potential audience of those susceptible to their ideology.

The poster can correct me if im wrong but I think he has some contempt for far right viewpoints and actions on these issues. From my point of view I would say that the far right seem far too racist to be objective about any case like this. Look at what they tried to do with a house fire in balbriggan.

https://www.thejournal.ie/balbriggan-far-right-black-gangs-5180007-Sep2020/

We aren't talking about people who are worthy of taking seriously. In order to qualify as a rational participant in a dialogue you have to be willing to be objective and see all sides of the coin.

As somebody else rightly pointed out:

* An Irish gang destroy a black/brown kid its abhorrent racism and a shame on the Country

* An African gang destroy an Irish kid and its white supremacists making hay

As somebody else rightly pointed out:

* An Irish gang destroy a black/brown kid its abhorrent racism and a shame on the Country

* An African gang destroy an Irish kid and its white supremacists making hay

* A random house fire starts in Balbriggan and it's an African gang destroying Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

* A random house fire starts in Balbriggan and it's an African gang destroying Ireland.

Zero bearing on this thread ,

Nothing but a cheap attempt to derail a discussion

Need evidence that he was tried as an adult and his age when committing the offense wasn't taken into account? Also need evidence that he posted the attack himself and that he racially abused the victim during the attack. You wouldn't be ordinarily asked for this evidence on a far right site I know.
    Who do you think you are a High Court Judge? Go look it up yourself!

It was all over the internet at the time.

[QUOTE=fantaiscool;115703089]The far rights in Ireland are just embarrassing. At least in the UK the likes of Farage are well polished and pretty smart.[/QUOTE]

The fact that you think Nigel bloody Farage is far right says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

The girl in the video deserves a medal for bravery, no question about it.

Typical of these gangs, very brave in a group, but you can be sure as hell they wouldn't act in a similar manner in prison on their own. That kind of bravado gets shut down very quickly.

The girl in the video deserves a medal for bravery, no question about it.

Typical of these gangs, very brave in a group, but you can be sure as hell they wouldn't act in a similar manner in prison on their own. That kind of bravado gets shut down very quickly.

Absolutely. That girl is a gem.

A shining beacon of decency and humanity in contrast to a pack of contemptible lowlifes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Gatling wrote: »
    Zero bearing on this thread ,

Nothing but a cheap attempt to derail a discussion

I wouldnt mind if these people were consistent but it bever plays out that way

White on black crime : racist, racist , racist its had look at this

Black on white crime : why does race matter, this is being used by the far right, agenda driven reporting.

All gang attacks are awful, I just wish those who have a ‘balanced based human rights approach’ could acknowledge that race based hate crime is a 2 way street instead of black = saints , white = sinners

Do people really think he'd have gotten more of a sentence if he was white, really? Im surprised hes doing any time at all regardless of colour, judges are always lenient here.

It honestly doesn't matter if white supremacists jumped on this attack. Their promotion of the attack didn't change the circumstances nor the brutality of what happened. It was posted online.

I really don't understand your logic on this one.

It was a brutal racially motivated assault, and the book should have been thrown at them, with serious prison time involved. A clear message to everyone that such assaults won't be tolerated by anyone... not encourage a race war in Ireland.. because that's what your attitude suggests. If you're non-white and commit a brutal attack, it shouldn't be treated the same as a white person doing the same to a Black person.

Do people really think he'd have gotten more of a sentence if he was white, really? Im surprised hes doing any time at all regardless of colour, judges are always lenient here.

I think a white guy doing the same attack, and posting online, would have gotten much worse. It's the world we live in now. There's so much media and political attention about racism that they would want to make an example of anyone who did such.

I think a white guy doing the same attack, and posting online, would have gotten much worse. It's the world we live in now. There's so much media and political attention about racism that they would want to make an example of anyone who did such.

Yeah I suppose attacking minorities would be seen as a much bigger crime. It's a complex area I suppose.
    I personally couldn't be offended by any attempt at racist remarks from a black or other race person because I'm a white male and I know I'm top of the food chain and I'm bloody glad I'm white.
    Maybe that's why it's treated differently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Did the alleged racial element of the attack factor into the count case? There is apparently evidence of it online, according to posters in this thread.

In the article linked to in the OP, it isn't mentioned at all. Nor do the Examiner or RTE mention any racial element to the attack.

Advertisement