Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18 months for Carragaline stabbing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I haven't and don't want to watch it, but other posters have said on this thread that they couldn't hear any racial elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

He was 17 at the time he did the attack if i've got my facts straight? You'd expect a lesser sentence due to him not being an adult in the eyes of the law. There was also a pretty significant hijacking of the case by the far right which led to his pictures and information posted on twitter. Maybe the judge took the backlash into account.

Clearly he committed a scumbag act and should be punished.

However the far right acted appallingly as usual and seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that they turn people against them by doing this. Their hatred and racism blinds them to this. They jump all over crimes committed by non nationals and use them for their own agenda. Clearly they don't care about general crime or they would have had something to say about a teenage boy being chopped up in Coolock. That was committed by our own white Irish so they don't mention it. I've never actually seen that covered by any so called right winger surprisingly.

I think the crimes that scumbag commited outweigh posting a few things online. But no you go ahead blaming this tiny insignificant far right boogeyman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

I think the crimes that scumbag commited outweigh posting a few things online. But no you go ahead blaming this tiny insignificant far right boogeyman

Far right to these loonies is someone who's pro life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Hamachi wrote: »
    Absolutely. That girl is a gem. A shining beacon of decency and humanity in contrast to a pack of contemptible lowlifes.

She was his girlfriend. What else was she going to do?
    Yeah I suppose attacking minorities would be seen as a much bigger crime. It's a complex area I suppose.
    I personally couldn't be offended by any attempt at racist remarks from a black or other race person because I'm a white male and I know I'm top of the food chain and I'm bloody glad I'm white.
    Maybe that's why it's treated differently?

What?
    osarusan wrote: »
    Did the alleged racial element of the attack factor into the count case? There is apparently evidence of it online, according to posters in this thread. In the article linked to in the OP, it isn't mentioned at all.
    Nor do the Examiner or RTE mention any racial element to the attack.

Oh come on...

I haven't and don't want to watch it, but other posters have said on this thread that they couldn't hear any racial elements.

Detective Garda Declan Healy said the assault was entirely unprovoked and occurred when the victim was approached by other teens who demanded €2 from him.
    He said: “When he refused, one teen (not the defendant) punched him in the face and knocked him to the ground where he was kicked.
    “The defendant approached and spoke to the assailant then went over and smashed a 75cl vodka bottle on the head of the victim. He proceeded to pick up the neck of the broken bottle and stabbed him six times in the face and back.

And you say attacks on minorities, would be seen as much bigger crime?

• Advertisement

Detective Garda Declan Healy said the assault was entirely unprovoked and occurred when the victim was approached by other teens who demanded €2 from him. He said: “When he refused, one teen (not the defendant) punched him in the face and knocked him to the ground where he was kicked. “The defendant approached and spoke to the assailant then went over and smashed a 75cl vodka bottle on the head of the victim. He proceeded to pick up the neck of the broken bottle and stabbed him six times in the face and back.

And you say attacks on minorities, would be seen as much bigger crime?

The thing is I tend to agree with the people here who are deflecting away from the attack in that I'm not overly bothered with the motivation. They don't need any particular motivation.

My problem is that these very same people would drool at the mouth about the potential racial motivation of a white person/gang who attack a migrant. In fact they're no doubt the very same posters who are on the other thread supporting the proposed new hate laws.

The thing is I tend to agree with the people here who are deflecting away from the attack in that I'm not overly bothered with the motivation. They don't need any particular motivation.

My problem is that these very same people would drool at the mouth about the potential racial motivation of a white person/gang who attack a migrant. In fact they're no doubt the very same posters who are on the other thread supporting the proposed new hate laws.

The new religion. 400 years ago, these very same people would be the inquisitors, burning heretics at the stake.

And think they are progressive, deluded and dangerous is what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Stabbed 6 times. 30 months with the final 12 suspended... so sentenced to 18 months... out after 13/14 most likely, after stabbing somebody with a glass bottle 6 times....

The attack must have been scary beyond belief, but I think it’s scary beyond belief that we have dîckhead judges getting away with this sort of carry on...

Is there any regulation of judges ? Genuine question I can’t seem to establish anything that says a judge can be pulled up for sentencing that is either too lenient or too harsh... by a superior or team of...

In any job you have been in , if you make an error of judgment or perform in a manner perceived as not of the standard desired and expected of your position you can be investigated, disciplined etc...

Also, stabbing somebody 6 times.... is that not actually close to attempted murder... forget the robbery was just over 2 euros... forget the motive but cracking the kid over the head with a vodka bottle and then stabbing him 6 times .... which will cost the scummy maggot about a year... society will be protected for about a year. Jeez.

Strumms wrote: »
    Also, stabbing somebody 6 times.... is that not actually close to attempted murder.

Close but not quite. The gang culture in London is to destroy the victim's kidneys so that they'll end up walking around with a colostomy bag, a permanent source of embarrassment for a young man. That's why in the video he twice went back to the same area of the body, lifted the jumper and "shanked" him.

It was an attempt to permanently disable someone that got him possibly as little as just over a year inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Close but not quite. The gang culture in London is to destroy the victim's kidneys so that they'll end up walking around with a colostomy bag, a permanent source of embarrassment for a young man. That's why in the video he twice went back to the same area of the body, lifted the jumper and "shanked" him.

It was an attempt to permanently disable someone that got him possibly as little as just over a year inside.

****in hell :confused: that’s beyond grim... and with those injuries the punishment and deterrent and chosen method of safeguarding the public from it happening again is one year in jail for the scumbag.. nice.

Also, a kidney is a vital organ... come on !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Yeah I suppose attacking minorities would be seen as a much bigger crime. It's a complex area I suppose.
    I personally couldn't be offended by any attempt at racist remarks from a black or other race person because I'm a white male and I know I'm top of the food chain and I'm bloody glad I'm white.
    Maybe that's why it's treated differently?

“Top of the food chain”
    “Bloody glad im white”

Genuinely, what advantages do you think these .... frankly borderline racist ideas... give you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Some mad opinions on this being expressed, but no surprise when you consider the amount of posts on boards these days featuring talking points gleaned off mad right-wing American YouTube videos and other assorted internet rabbit holes.

People are doing contortions to portray this as a purely racist attack that is somehow being covered up. It wasn’t, it was a violent thug attacking an innocent young man - the thug being accompanied by his white friends in doing so. Similarly this stuff isn’t some new or novel thing brought over pernicious Africans. I’m from Cork City, I’ve known three people personally who have died violent deaths at the hands of others. Gangs of marauding scumbags dishing out violence is unfortunately a relatively common thing in the city and it has been since time immemorial.

The person who committed this stabbing and his accomplices have been treated disgracefully leniently. But the people trying to suggest there is some mad racial conspiracy and rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect are both transparent and contemptible to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Acosta

FTA69 wrote: »

People are doing contortions to portray this as a purely racist attack that is somehow being covered up. It wasn’t, it was a violent thug attacking an innocent young man

Still waiting for someone here who has claimed it was a racist attack to provide evidence of this.

Unless I was watching a different clip I can't see any.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Some mad opinions on this being expressed, but no surprise when you consider the amount of posts on boards these days featuring talking points gleaned off mad right-wing American YouTube videos and other assorted internet rabbit holes.

People are doing contortions to portray this as a purely racist attack that is somehow being covered up. It wasn’t, it was a violent thug attacking an innocent young man - the thug being accompanied by his white friends in doing so. Similarly this stuff isn’t some new or novel thing brought over pernicious Africans. I’m from Cork City, I’ve known three people personally who have died violent deaths at the hands of others. Gangs of marauding scumbags dishing out violence is unfortunately a relatively common thing in the city and it has been since time immemorial.

The person who committed this stabbing and his accomplices have been treated disgracefully leniently. But the people trying to suggest there is some mad racial conspiracy and rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect are both transparent and contemptible to be honest.

Then why was the defence based around the persons own alleged experiences of racism (something I see as clutching at straws, inexcusable and dont really believe), that defence itself makes it seem like this person has justifiable lashed out against society for the ills the person perceives has befallen them.

But the people trying to suggest there is some mad racial conspiracy and rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect are both transparent and contemptible to be honest.

Who is suggesting that it was some mad racial conspiracy?

A racial attack, yes. A conspiracy, no.

I'm more bothered by the people who want to avoid any possibility that this could have been racially driven, than any supposed conspiracies.

1874 wrote: »
    Then why was the defence based around the persons own alleged experiences of racism (something I see as clutching at straws, inexcusable and dont really believe), that defence itself makes it seem like this person has justifiable lashed out against society for the ills the person perceives has befallen them.

Yeah that’s a different argument though. The defence was trying to engender sympathy for the defendant saying he received racial abuse (and that’s what legal defences do, reach for anything and everything).

That doesn’t equate with the attack being a racially motivated stabbing.

Who is suggesting that it was some mad racial conspiracy?

A racial attack, yes. A conspiracy, no.

I'm more bothered by the people who want to avoid any possibility that this could have been racially driven, than any supposed conspiracies.

When people suggest that the defendant got lenient treatment because he was black and that people are covering up the truth out of liberal sensibilities, that suggests a conspiratorial view of things.

I’m not saying that black people are incapable of prejudice or acting on it; I just don’t see how this was a racially motivated attack considering it was carried out with white accomplices. He turned around to his white mates and said “come on lads we’re going to stab some white fella because he’s white?”

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Just listened to the audio of one of the videos. It might as well be in London with all the ''fam'', ''blood'' and Top Boy accent on display from the genius filming it. Absolute fcuking tools aping another subculture.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Just listened to the audio of one of the videos. It might as well be in London with all the ''fam'', ''blood'' and Top Boy accent on display from the genius filming it. Absolute fcuking tools aping another subculture.

Celebrity culture, Instagram b*llocks and crime all come together in a giant insufferable mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

There are no “white friends” on the video. I presume you were there and seen the attack? Have you reported what you saw to the Gardai??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

People are doing contortions to portray this as a purely racist attack that is somehow being covered up. It wasn’t, it was a violent thug attacking an innocent young man - the thug being accompanied by his white friends in doing so.

Yeah, my favourite part is where the lowlife's white friend uses that well known Cork white person's phrase : "You're shanking him fam".

A racial attack, yes.

How so?

Acosta wrote: »
    How so?

The same way any attack by a white person against another race is portrayed as being racial.

I'm constantly amazed by the need by people to promote double standards.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I love how the white lads here seem to believe they’re being suppressed.

The same way any attack by a white person against another race is portrayed as being racial.

I'm constantly amazed by the need by people to promote double standards.

So let me get this straight. You are saying because a black guy did this horrible thing it was a racist attack, because if it was the other way around people you disagree with would say it was racist. Do you realise how stupid that sounds, amongst other things?
    Jesus, I know a lot of you were rattled by the BLM protests, but I don't think I realised how much until this thread.
    Yourself and others are so desperate for this to be a racist attack you've basically decided that it was even though it actually wasn't.

This gang from Ballincollig has or had white lads in it as well as black. Which isn't the least bit surprising. I live in Cork. And you see groups of young boys of different races out and about all the time in places like Ballincollig, Togher and Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

Racially motivated or not, the sentence is shockingly lenient.

Racially motivated or not, the sentence is shockingly lenient.

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Have to love the “narrator’s” username of Dumb Niggs on the video. Certainly is dumb anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

Oof

^ That post reflects badly on a lot of unexpected people tbh

• Advertisement

Acosta wrote: »
    So let me get this straight. You are saying because a black guy did this horrible thing it was a racist attack, because if it was the other way around people you disagree with would say it was racist. Do you realise how stupid that sounds, amongst other things?

Well, yes, it is stupid since it's you that's saying it. You're rearranging what I said to match your own narrative
    Jesus, I know a lot of you were rattled by the BLM protests, but I don't think I realised how much until this thread.

Now you're pulling ****e from the air. I said nothing about BLM. So.. you want to make the association... because... ? Yeah.
    Yourself and others are so desperate for this to be a racist attack you've basically decided that it was even though it actually wasn't.

Desperate? Hardly. I watched the video, read a variety of articles and came to my own conclusions. Whereas you've just read my posts and came to your own conclusions. :rolleyes: Well done there.

Advertisement