Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland u20 6 nations and world championship 2021

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

England didn't allow us to do many variations! If our 10 played deeper to kick for territory, we are just giving possession away. If Doak had more time at the breakdowns, it could have been different. Lots ot times, we were going backwards with possession. That's outstanding work from England. Our pack was on the backfoot, so resetting the rucks was probably the best option.
    Several times when England had possession, they got over the gainline. Sometimes we stopped them but, the were able to breach our defense with their power game. I think the intensity and power of England was the difference. We were stymied by their defensive speed. They played a poor referred better than we did. They mangled our scrum on a couple of occasions. The picture the showed the ref was they were dominant.
    England are well drilled and physical. They wore down the French when they looked beaten. That's their strenght and they used it. Our lads committed numbers to rucks and England were successful at making things messy. Several times as Doak played the ball from a ruck there was an England player hovering above him. By no means is this the best u20 England side I've seen, but they are fcuking good.
    They played physical direct rugby and the pressure paid off. We aren't in a position to match that physically and despite this, we were in it until the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Dubinusa wrote: »
    England didn't allow us to do many variations! If our 10 played deeper to kick for territory, we are just giving possession away. If Doak had more time at the breakdowns, it could have been different. Lots ot times, we were going backwards with possession. That's outstanding work from England. Our pack was on the backfoot, so resetting the rucks was probably the best option.
    Several times when England had possession, they got over the gainline. Sometimes we stopped them but, the were able to breach our defense with their power game. I think the intensity and power of England was the difference. We were stymied by their defensive speed. They played a poor referred better than we did. They mangled our scrum on a couple of occasions. The picture the showed the ref was they were dominant.
    England are well drilled and physical. They wore down the French when they looked beaten. That's their strenght and they used it. Our lads committed numbers to rucks and England were successful at making things messy. Several times as Doak played the ball from a ruck there was an England player hovering above him. By no means is this the best u20 England side I've seen, but they are fcuking good.
    They played physical direct rugby and the pressure paid off. We aren't in a position to match that physically and despite this, we were in it until the end.

Pretty much this, their forwards were much better than ours, simple as that. I couldn't get over how poor the English backs were, they lacked some basic passing skills. It seemed every time the ball went wide someone passed it to the ground or knocked it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Number 137

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I actually thought the reffing was very good myself.

His decisions were consistent, good engagements clear and concise. All cards were warranted. Kernohan was warned previously about the back line being offside and by the time cosgrave was carded that was the fourth similar offense in the first 35 mins.
    The breakdown was fine, England were more powerful and that's why the ruck's were a bit of a mess, but saying that he was quick to call ruck and didn't allow any second man over that other refs have been allowing for the last couple of years. Any contentious decisions were 50/50 at best.

Perhaps I was a tad harsh. I posted immediately after rewatching the game and was frustrated. But I don't think he was good. In relation to the ruck, English players were constantly allowed to slowly get up and move away as opposed to rolling away immediately. They were testing the waters and had a field day once they were allowed on 2 or 3 occasions. The referee was just totally naive for me. England were smart too, they quite often didn't allow our guys roll away by having their arriving players at the ruck pin the Irish tackler in, which led to penalties against Ireland for not rolling.

In relation to the Merigan incident, how he described it added up to a yellow. My point was he missed the fact that it was a shoulder charge to the head, not a high tackle with direct head contact. The former is far more severe, as it is never a legal action, meaning mitigation isn't considered.

On the Cosgrave YC, I fully accept there was a warning in place from the referee. But the AR has to have game understanding. He would have been aware of the warning and that any penalty he fed into the referee would lead to a yellow. Therefore, if he is going to feed something in, it really needs to be clear and obvious, particularly on something like offside. I'd have had no issue with the card if Cosgrave was clearly offside. My point was that, for me, he wasn't. If he was, it was extremely marginal and the AR needed to understand the consequences of his call. If it was as tight as it looked, the AR should not go anywhere near it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

IRELAND UNDER-20 Team & Replacements (v Italy Under-20s, 2021 Under-20 Six Nations Championship – Round 4, Cardiff Arms Park, Wednesday, July 7, kick-off 2.15pm):
    15. Jamie Osborne (Naas CBS/Naas RFC/Leinster)
    14. Conor Rankin (Campbell College Belfast/Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster)
    13. Jude Postlethwaite (RBAI/Banbridge RFC/Ulster)
    12. Ben Carson (Wallace High School/Banbridge RFC/Ulster)
    11. Chay Mullins (SGC Filton/Bristol Bears/IQ Rugby)
    10. James Humphreys (Dean Close School/Queen’s University Belfast RFC/Ulster)
    9. Nathan Doak (Wallace High School/Banbridge RFC/Ulster)

1. George Saunderson (Sullivan Upper School/Queen’s University Belfast RFC/Ulster)
    2. Eoin de Buitléar (Scoil Chuimsitheach Chiaráin/An Ghaeltacht/Galway Corinthians RFC/Connacht)
    3. Sam Illo (Wesley College/Old Wesley RFC/Leinster)
    4. Mark Morrissey (Blackrock College/UCD RFC/Leinster)
    5. Harry Sheridan (Sullivan Upper School/Dublin University FC/Ulster)
    6. Alex Soroka (Belvedere College/Clontarf RFC/Leinster)
    7. Alex Kendellen (PBC Cork/UCC RFC/Munster)(Captain)
    8. Daniel Okeke (Ardscoil Ris/Shannon RFC/Munster).

Replacements:

16. Ronan Loughnane (Cistercian College Roscrea/UCD RFC/Leinster)
    17. Jack Boyle (St. Michael’s College/UCD RFC/Leinster)
    18. Liam Bishop (Trent College/Nottingham University/IQ Rugby)
    19. Fearghail O’Donoghue (Cashel Community School/Cashel RFC/Munster)
    20. Jack Kelleher (PBC Cork/UCC RFC/Munster)
    21. Conor McKee (Sullivan Upper School/Queen’s University Belfast RFC/Ulster)
    22. Cathal Forde (Colaiste Iognaid/Corinthians RFC/Connacht)
    23. Josh O’Connor (St Peter’s College/UCD RFC/Leinster)
    24. Reuben Crothers (Wallace High School/Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster)
    25. Levi Vaughan (Terenure College/Terenure RFC/Leinster)
    26. Ben Moxham (Larne High School/Ballymena RFC/Ulster).

4. Mark Morrissey (Blackrock College/UCD RFC/Leinster)
    Return of the Mack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Number 137

Apparently Ben Popplewell was called into the squad ahead of the Italy game.

Return of the Mack.

What's significant about him?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Number 137 wrote: »
    Apparently Ben Popplewell was called into the squad ahead of the Italy game.

Mark Donnelly is done so would explain that.

Total revamp of the side! Not unexpected after the physicality of the England match! Italy looked good so far, from my pov. Sill no Daragh Murray. I think his selection was wasted. If he wasn't fit, he should not have been picked. Someone else could have had an opportunity.
    Kendellen; Soroka and Sheridan must be knackered! They'll be nursing sore bodies for the rest of the summer.
    I like the changes. It might make us a weaker side and it's possible we're going to lose, but we get a look at other lads and get to see what they can do!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 backcamslua

Darragh Murray was unfortunate to add to the injured list post first team selection while squad still in Dublin. He has undergone surgery and u'll be glad to know he is presently rehabbing well! The squad has been unfortunate with the injury toll that it has had to endure.Our overall numbers are such that every injury endured has lessened our impact at this years 6N's -and given it's blitz nature!

• Advertisement

Would like if IRFU listed original clubs for the youths players in squad as well. as for the schools players in Rock, Michaels etc thats only place they may have played before moving to the club they are/have played adult rugby in but not the case with others. Josh O Connor should have wexford rfc listed
    Dubinusa wrote: »
    Total revamp of the side! Not unexpected after the physicality of the England match! Italy looked good so far, from my pov. Sill no Daragh Murray. I think his selection was wasted. If he wasn't fit, he should not have been picked. Someone else could have had an opportunity.
    Kendellen; Soroka and Sheridan must be knackered! They'll be nursing sore bodies for the rest of the summer.
    I like the changes. It might make us a weaker side and it's possible we're going to lose, but we get a look at other lads and get to see what they can do!

And not unexpected considering its a development tournament and all players will have played so little in 15 months

What's significant about him?
    Nothing really, apart from having the same name as your man with that one-hit-wonder, and he's returned to the first team. :p

My U20 age grade player rankings:

1. Nathan Doak

2. Alex Kendellan

3. Jamie Osborne

4. Alex Soroka

5. Cathal Forde

6. Sam Illo

7. Oisin McCormack

8. Shane Jennings

9. Temi Lasisi

10. Harry Sheridan

11. Ronan Loughnane

12. Ben Moxham

13. Donnacha Byrne

14. Chris Cosgrave

15. Tim Corkery

Way too early irish u20 XV for 2022:

1. Jack Boyle(Leinster)

2. James McCormick(Ulster)

3. Rory McGuire(Leinster)

4. Mark Morrissey(Leinster)

5. Charlie Irvine(Ulster)

6. Paul Deeny(Leinster)

7. Rueben Crothers(Ulster)

8. Donough Lawlor(Leinster)

9. Ethan Coughlan(Munster)

10. Charlie Tector(Leinster)

11. Chay Mullins(Bristol)

12. Ben Carson(Ulster)

13. Jude Postlethwaite(Ulster)

14. Aitzol King(Leinster)

15. Mark Purcell(Connacht)

16. Kolo Kiripati(Connacht)

17. Aaron Rowan(Leinster)

18. Ben Popplewell(Leinster)

19. Conor Moloney(Munster)

20. Nick Greene(Munster)

21. Conor Duggan(Leinster)

22. Fionn O'Hara(Leinster)

23. Darragh French(Munster)

Decent tournament overall! Stand outs for me

Doak; Kendellen, Sheridan and Soroka!

Lots of potentially good players. I think Boyle has the most potential of the props.

Great viewing! Some of the matches were brilliant!

Any prospects here outside of the obvious from this year?

Morrissey is very undersized! He needs to bulk up. I didn't notice him at all v France. He is eligible next year. Maybe he will be bigger then. He's listed at 95 kg's. Way to small.

He's just after finishing playing up a year at 20s as an under 19. The size etc will come. Of course he should be bigger next year. there isnt really any panic about him now even at 95kg or so. loads of time to get bigger.

Hopefully! With a bit of bulk, he could be a decent player.

the size will not come if he doesn't have the natural frame to carry 110kg+

• Advertisement

Tector might have started at 10 for ireland this year if he hadn't got injured.

Advertisement