Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland u20 6 nations and world championship 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Injury already hurting this side. There's got to be 6 lads missing out. Delighted to see so many Ulster lads and Connacht lads involved. Is Jennings related to the former Leinster player?
    Jack Boyle is just 18! Incredible achievement to make this level at such a young age. I don't know much about many of the squad, but hopefully there's a few future star players amongst this bunch.
    The locks are fairly light. Pity McCarthy and Murray are injured. The props though are big hefty boys. Can't wait to watch them.

Many under 19s will be selected as 18 year olds...
    No Jennings isnt. He just shares the name

Connacht under 18s at this age group won the clubs interpros and were a very strong squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭Garfin

Connacht lads doing very well, Darragh Murray was to start too but got injured, excited to see that backrow play together they are quality players. Come on Ireland 🏉💚

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

We've been really spoilt with our under 20s over the last few years, I feel like there's some pressure on these guys to achieve. I guess that's a healthy shift towards a winning mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

I’m not going to lie I’m a little concerned for them tomorrow in the 2nd row mainly just looking at the fact that one is an u19 and very light for a 2nd row even at u20 level & the other while quite heavy long term appears to be a blindside flanker. If their technique is good though I’ll be quitely confident as the from row is massive and the back row is very strong also and there is a lot of bite in the backline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I too am a little concerned. Morrissey is very light. Hopefully he's up for it. Losing McCarthy was a blow. He is experienced from last season and has good size.
    On another note, is Lasisi or I'll Fijian? If so, are we recruiting from Fiji? I hadn't heard anything like that. But I'll is a very big lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I too am a little concerned. Morrissey is very light. Hopefully he's up for it. Losing McCarthy was a blow. He is experienced from last season and has good size.
    On another note, is Lasisi or I'll Fijian? If so, are we recruiting from Fiji? I hadn't heard anything like that. But I'll is a very big lad.

We're not recruiting from anywhere, both lads have been in Ireland since they were young kids if not born here.

We're not recruiting from anywhere. He's been in Ireland from a young age. Dont know his background but he's played all his rugby from minis in Enniscorthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think England recruit in Fiji? Or maybe it's France?
    Anyway it's great to see! From a Munster perspective it's got to be disappointing to have so few selected. Ulster and Connacht really stepping it up! Fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I think England recruit in Fiji? Or maybe it's France?
    Anyway it's great to see! From a Munster perspective it's got to be disappointing to have so few selected. Ulster and Connacht really stepping it up! Fair play to them.

About five years ago maybe, that all came to a halt a fair few years back now with the revised JIFF rules.

• Advertisement

Very good start by Ireland
    try soroka after a few close in carries...
    7-0 4 minutes gone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Thought this was meant to be on YouTube but can't find it anywhere. I'm in the UK so rte is not an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Thought this was meant to be on YouTube but can't find it anywhere. I'm in the UK so rte is not an option.

Was meant to be on BBC Sport website and BBCiplayer but cannot find it in either location.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Was meant to be on BBC Sport website and BBCiplayer but cannot find it in either location.

https://fb.watch/6dGeANp4el/

There was technical issues with iplayer so not going to be shown on either

only will be on youtube today

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Turnover ball with three backs outside... why kick it away? You'd like to think we'd be a bit more eager to have a go at U20 level.

• Advertisement

Could be penalty try here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Should be a pen try for Ireland and a yellow for Scotland.

Clegg wrote: »
    Should be a pen try for Ireland and a yellow for Scotland.

Penalty try has to be yellow. would be v surprised if this doesnt happen

Was the pass meant for Osborne do we think? Smacked off his face.

I assume it was meant to be a skip ball. Scotland have a bit of bite to them, we could do with a bit more ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Nah. The backline has looked very disjointed generally. Some mediocre passing on show with 2 or 3 passes being the direct cause of turnovers.

We've been second best overall. Scotland have no cutting edge at all though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Front row looking really good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Scottish are playing a very long tail on their ruck to give their 9 space to kick. This must have a counter either through more aggressive counter rucking, or kicking into the space left by scotland committing extra players to the ruck right at kick transition

Hopefully a bit of half time analysis will allow them to take advantage in the 2nd half

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

The team just doesn't look as coherent as previous years, which is probably to be expected. The forwards are aren't as quick to get into their positions and run their lines, the backs look unsure of where to run, panick with the ball and their passing hasn't been great either. They've defended well but as Buer said, scotland don't really have an edge to them, I suspect better teams will cause us more problems.

Don't look as athletic or as dangerous in attack as previous years either, there aren't many players there I expect to make a break.

But, it's only the first half, lots of rugby to be played after a long disjointed year for them. Not sure who has been the standouts - Kendellan and Osbourne maybe?

The team just doesn't look as coherent as previous years, which is probably to be expected. The forwards are aren't as quick to get into their positions and run their lines, the backs look unsure of where to run, panick with the ball and their passing hasn't been great either. They've defended well but as Buer said, scotland don't really have an edge to them, I suspect better teams will cause us more problems.

Don't look as athletic or as dangerous in attack as previous years either, there aren't many players there I expect to make a break.

But, it's only the first half, lots of rugby to be played after a long disjointed year for them. Not sure who has been the standouts - Kendellan and Osbourne maybe?
    Previous years the players will have played a lot more Of course they wont be as coherent considering the season most have had.
    Most of these will not have played much rugby this season so of course they wont look as dangerous.

That should be a red for Scotland.

Their player never had the intention of jumping for the ball. He literally tackled Osborne when he was in the air. Osborne them landed on his head/neck.

definite red card there. Extremely dangerous play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

That should be a red for Scotland.

Their player never had the intention of jumping for the ball. He literally tackled Osborne when he was in the air. Osborne them landed on his head/neck.

Tmo/ref agrees

Previous years the players will have played a lot more Of course they wont be as coherent considering the season most have had.
    Most of these will not have played much rugby this season so of course they wont look as dangerous.

Yep, it's been a tough year for players looking to make a start to their careers. I was a little tough with those comments - the lineout, maul and scrum have all been good. Set pieces are something to build on.

Can't imagine being the parents of a young rugby player and watching them get tackled in the air and landing heavily on their upper back/neck

Heart stopping stuff, another few inches one way or another could have seen life changing injuries

• Advertisement

Soroka looked in a bad way there. Didn't get up after his carry and clutched his shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Ah that's a shame that'd have been a great try! Gotta say I definitely think I saw downward pressure there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That was either a try, or a penalty try and instead the decision of the assembled is a knock on,... the side angle showed downward pressure 100%... the nature of their discussion seemed like they were trying their best not to award it.

Strumms wrote: »
    That was either a try, or a penalty try and instead the decision of the assembled is a knock on,... the side angle showed downward pressure 100%...

Strange that he said he saw no clear evidence of downward pressure, the on field decision was try so surely he should have been looking for clear evidence of a knock on not the other way around..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Stupid question but why was the match in Cardiff instead of Scotland?

Eod100 wrote: »
    Stupid question but why was the match in Cardiff instead of Scotland?

All games are in Cardiff so to reduce travel. The squads are based in Cardiff for next 3 weeks to play the tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

All games are in Cardiff so to reduce travel. The squads are based in Cardiff for next 3 weeks to play the tournament

Ah makes sense, nice one!

Just heard the commentator at the end saying that's nine wins in a row now, which is impressive.

Positives:
    - Pack played very well against what looked a bigger opposition, didn't overwhelm them but were clearly better. Scum and maul was great. Think we were down a couple players as well - Stewart, Murray and McCarthy were all expected to be starters imo.
    - Front row depth: starting props scrummed very well and got about the park. Boyle was excellent at the breakdown and brought an edge. We were missing probably our two best hookers as well.
    - Starting backrow I think is quite nicely balanced. Unsure about depth though.
    - Good individual performances from a few players in that second half - osbourne and kendellan probably my picks.

Negatives:
    - Halfbacks: wasn't all that impressed with either 10's, although the backline did improve with Humphreys off. Not too sure about the scrumhalves either but I suppose Doak is missing.
    - Centres: wasn't convinced by that centre partnership, although Forde grew into the game and Jennings had a couple of nice moments in the second half. Not too sure how you improve it - Moxham is physical but lacks hands, Postlewaite is injured, Carson is is physical as well but I'm not sure he'd improve how disjointed they were. Osbourne would be an option, but would you want to move him out of fullback?

Overall it was a fun game, the cards kind of took it out of scotlands reach though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭launish116

Thought the Locks didn’t do to bad, considering the concern for them being to light. Would like to see Sheridan at Blindside though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

McCormack had a really good and busy game I thought
    Caught by sidesteps, but otherwise very involved even in support of the backline

France with a great start. Powerful and quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Already looking forward to Kendellan v Ntamack

Just heard the commentator at the end saying that's nine wins in a row now, which is impressive.

Positives:
    - Pack played very well against what looked a bigger opposition, didn't overwhelm them but were clearly better. Scum and maul was great. Think we were down a couple players as well - Stewart, Murray and McCarthy were all expected to be starters imo.
    - Front row depth: starting props scrummed very well and got about the park. Boyle was excellent at the breakdown and brought an edge. We were missing probably our two best hookers as well.
    - Starting backrow I think is quite nicely balanced. Unsure about depth though.
    - Good individual performances from a few players in that second half - osbourne and kendellan probably my picks.

Negatives:
    - Halfbacks: wasn't all that impressed with either 10's, although the backline did improve with Humphreys off. Not too sure about the scrumhalves either but I suppose Doak is missing.
    - Centres: wasn't convinced by that centre partnership, although Forde grew into the game and Jennings had a couple of nice moments in the second half. Not too sure how you improve it - Moxham is physical but lacks hands, Postlewaite is injured, Carson is is physical as well but I'm not sure he'd improve how disjointed they were. Osbourne would be an option, but would you want to move him out of fullback?

Overall it was a fun game, the cards kind of took it out of scotlands reach though.
    I wouldnt agree about the centres. Thought both were good as they grew into the game. Like you say how would you improve it as theyre most likely best options as Osborne better full back.
    Thought Corkery was alright. Humphreys isnt particularly fond of defensive work/tackling is he??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Jamie Osborne is different gravy.

Genuinely could be Ireland's 15 at the world cup

• Advertisement

Humphreys isnt particularly fond of defensive work/tackling is he??

I'm getting PTSD flashbacks already.

Here's the official YT link the other one was a mirror
    sorry
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_gYBL6bYAo

France are looking unbelievably sharp, making the english look like a 2nd tier team so far

Great game, France really taking their chances. England have been physical in defence but France's ruck work has been excellent and are just waiting for the right moments to move it wide.

I wouldnt agree about the centres. Thought both were good as they grew into the game. Like you say how would you improve it as theyre most likely best options as Osborne better full back.
    Martin and Kelly would've been great options to have but no use moaning about what isn't there. Still think other combos are worth trying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement