Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit issues / bike24.com

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'm interested to hear the outcome myself, as always a few I like the look of with them.

Update: my 'parcel' has been 'out for delivery' with Parcelforce since Thursday. Still not actually received and not further update on tracker. On the one hand I'm a bit miffed because you have people hanging around all day to take delivery, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and today. On the other hand, when I ordered I was given 31st May as estimated date for build/ shipping, so way ahead of schedule for whatever reason.

I also haven't received any notice yet re customs/ duty etc.

So, in summary, I guess it's still a case of "I'll let you know"!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Paddigol wrote: »
    Update: my 'parcel' has been 'out for delivery' with Parcelforce since Thursday. Still not actually received and not further update on tracker. On the one hand I'm a bit miffed because you have people hanging around all day to take delivery, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and today. On the other hand, when I ordered I was given 31st May as estimated date for build/ shipping, so way ahead of schedule for whatever reason.

I also haven't received any notice yet re customs/ duty etc.

So, in summary, I guess it's still a case of "I'll let you know"!!

You might want to get in touch with them for an ETA.

I just had to chase DHL for a bike due today only to be told they had no info and couldn't locate it. :eek:

Asked for a description and updated address. A big cardboard box with Commencal on the side that you better not have bloody lost after it got all the way to Dublin without issue. :mad::mad:

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    You might want to get in touch with them for an ETA.

I just had to chase DHL for a bike due today only to be told they had no info and couldn't locate it. :eek:

Asked for a description and updated address. A big cardboard box with Commencal on the side that you better not have bloody lost after it got all the way to Dublin without issue. :mad::mad:

Yeah, I've popped Parcelforce an email this morning. Well, via their website portal yoke. TBH, I'm expecting the delivery to be quicker than a reply!

Other option is to get onto Ribble, but might be too early for that given that they basically say goodbye to the bike once it's collected by courier.

Just a pain in the hoop tbh - not sure why they went to the trouble of updating the tracker if the bike wasn't actually loaded for delivery.

Anyway, first world problems and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭ARX

C3PO wrote: »
    How will that work out for VAT and duty?
    I think it's 14% duty, and Irish VAT is about the same as UK VAT on bikes. I have my eye on a Ribble as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yeah, I've popped Parcelforce an email this morning. Well, via their website portal yoke. TBH, I'm expecting the delivery to be quicker than a reply!
    I think ParcelForce are delivered by GLS here? Going back to a Feb Screwfix order (that had similar issues to what you are experiencing!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I think ParcelForce are delivered by GLS here? Going back to a Feb Screwfix order (that had similar issues to what you are experiencing!)

Curses, I've a screwfix order somewhere in the ether.

my local dpd driver however is too notch.

I got something from Taiwan delivered to my door inside 5 days courtesy of fedex. Would've been 4 but I was out. That's incredibly efficient.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Curses, I've a screwfix order somewhere in the ether.

my local dpd driver however is too notch.

I got something from Taiwan delivered to my door inside 5 days courtesy of fedex. Would've been 4 but I was out. That's incredibly efficient.

screw fix definitely comes from GLS, I just got an order today and half of it missing ffs. :mad: The couriers are zero for two today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I wouldn't mind but there are 2 screwfixes within a few km of me , just neither had what I needed in stock. Would prefer if they did a deliver to store instead

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    screw fix definitely comes from GLS, I just got an order today and half of it missing ffs. :mad: The couriers are zero for two today.

It's a bit of a farce, especially when you're delivering bikes. The last bike I had delivered from Ribble and Parcelforce was basically dropped over the front wall (8ft high) of the house and left there in the p!issings of rain for half a day. No email notification. No phone call. Signed for by the courier.

I complained to Ribble customer service, but its hard to blame them when they contract a professional courier company. Then again, they need to know when their customers are getting a crap service as it reflects badly back on the bike manufacturer. It's not like you're left waiting for a €100 bit of kit in a small soft parcel... when you're spending a couple of grand on a product you expect a bit of care put into the delivery. Would Brown Thomas tolerate a subcontractor dumping a couch over the wall?

Anyway, rant over and I'll be back to update when I see what the story is with tax/ duty etc.

Weepsie wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind but there are 2 screwfixes within a few km of me , just neither had what I needed in stock. Would prefer if they did a deliver to store instead
    I ordered a wood drill bit, and a drill. The box for the bit was so big I was convinced the drill had been stolen somewhere along the way (it said 1 of 1). Drill turned up two days later.

fwiw not much comes GLS, but normally ok. DPD the winner for me, sound lad, Saturday delivery. The local fastway guy is good, but since the data breach, they've gone slow as f*ck.

• Advertisement

It's a bit of a farce, especially when you're delivering bikes. The last bike I had delivered from Ribble and Parcelforce was basically dropped over the front wall (8ft high) of the house and left there in the p!issings of rain for half a day. No email notification. No phone call. Signed for by the courier.

I complained to Ribble customer service, but its hard to blame them when they contract a professional courier company. Then again, they need to know when their customers are getting a crap service as it reflects badly back on the bike manufacturer. It's not like you're left waiting for a €100 bit of kit in a small soft parcel... when you're spending a couple of grand on a product you expect a bit of care put into the delivery. Would Brown Thomas tolerate a subcontractor dumping a couch over the wall?

Anyway, rant over and I'll be back to update when I see what the story is with tax/ duty etc.

Update: bike finally delivered today (usual story of knock on door and driver heading off in van having signed for it himself and left it outside house for anyone to nick before door opened)

Won't complain though as wasn't hit for any tax/ duty on import. Got lucky I guess. Which is odd because the last update on the tracker was 'package release by customs'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Update: bike finally delivered today (usual story of knock on door and driver heading off in van having signed for it himself and left it outside house for anyone to nick before door opened)

Won't complain though as wasn't hit for any tax/ duty on import. Got lucky I guess. Which is odd because the last update on the tracker was 'package release by customs'.

Good Result... Out of interest, what Commencal did you get? Trying to find a good spec MTB at moment and difficult to get. Thanks

Good Result... Out of interest, what Commencal did you get? Trying to find a good spec MTB at moment and difficult to get. Thanks

He got a ribble, I got a commencal :D:P

Meta HT for myself always fancied another hardtail to go alongside the full suss. It's like a little monster truck with the 2.8" tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Did the courier sign your name or his name?

Either way that's cowboy antics. You'd be tempted to let on you never received it at all and push back on the courier company. - Might teach them a bit of a lesson. Get Mr John Hancock squirming and explaining

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've been WFH for the last year and any delivery either here or to my neighbours has been left at the door and not signed by the recipient due to covid (I'm sitting in my front room so able to see out).
    However, I've not yet seen a delivery left at an unoccupied house.

I've been WFH for the last year and any delivery either here or to my neighbours has been left at the door and not signed by the recipient due to covid (I'm sitting in my front room so able to see out).
    However, I've not yet seen a delivery left at an unoccupied house.
    Yes, it's been ring the doorbell and leave on the step. They will leave here if unoccupied though (but I've told them where to put it!).

I think I normally get a notification of delivery from them all? Definitely do with DPD anyway (text and email about a Craft Central order this morning), with the option to reschedule.

This is what the tracker status says;

"Your parcel was delivered on Wednesday 19th May 2021 at 11:02 and it was signed for by Andrew".

Given that 'Andrew' was not at home and was at work, that's a remarkable achievement.

This is what the courier company's terms say about delivery:

"To ensure the safe delivery of your parcel, we need a signature to confirm successful delivery. If there is nobody to receive the parcel, the driver will either attempt delivery to a neighbour or take your parcel to be securely held at the local Post Office or depot."

There was somebody at home to receive the parcel. In fact they'd been staying at home for the past 7 days having been led to believe that the parcel was 'out for delivery'. The simple fact is that the courier signed for the parcel himself. Left it outside front door in housing estate. Knocked on door and walked back to his van before anyone could open the door and without knowing whether anyone was at home. Certainly no effort to deliver to neighbours.

Covid is a handy smokescreen for shocking customer service. Again, I don't really blame the drivers as customer care is driven from the top down, and much like those working in call centres, I'd say there is a lot of pressure put on drivers to get in and out without a second's delay for every drop off.

Previous delivery from this crowd saw bike box dumped over 8ft high wall and left wrong-way-up in the p!ssings of rain. On both occasions, despite having to provide phone number on ordering the bike, no call from courier to say I'm outside.

The industry needs a shake up. The amount of online shopping done these days is unreal, with all the race to the bottom pricing that comes with it and the massive carbon impact that has in terms of air/ sea freight and van deliveries. I can see it being something we look at in a few years and wonder how we let things escalate so badly when we were all supposedly focussed on fixing the environment.

Anyway, rant over!

Advertisement