Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise sounds like chain rub. Any ideas?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just looking at the pic you uploaded of the mech from above there is an obvious curve in the chain towards the right end of the shot....
    That was my first thought. The cage looks slightly bent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, could be an optical illusion, but the chain does not look centred in the cage as it goes around the tension jockey wheel, it seems to be sitting noticeably closer to the outside of the cage than the inside. that said, that might be entirely normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭G1032

Thanks folks
    Maybe it does need new jockey wheels. They seem ok but have 13k km on them now, a lot of which has been in atrocious weather!!

Hanger or derailleur never got a bang or a crash.

Was out on it today anyway for 90+ minutes and it's not an issue so no major panic to try and resolve. But might be an issue if doing v steep climbs

Installed an Ultegra chain and the noise went away. Well, went away for 70 odd km!

Took wheel off after spin today because rims were filthy and the noise is back after replacing the wheel. Worse than ever now.

So, time to look at the jockey wheels, but........
    Was going to pop into LBS on way home from work on Thursday coming and get the jockey wheels. I'm running R7000 groupset. They have R8000 jockey wheels in stock but I'm reading online they the R8000 pulley wheels aren't compatible with the 105 derailleur?? Can anyone here verify this?

SigmaSports answered a query for a customer and said R8000 wasn't compatible with R7000.
    Why is this? Anyone know?

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Shimano/Ultegra-R8000-Tension-and-Guide-Pulley-Set/LO56

Yet this site says R8000 pulley can be used instead of R7000

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares/shimano-105-rdr7000-tension-guide-pulley-set-y3f398010/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd say that's an 'err on the side of caution' response from sigma sports.

here's someone else reporting excessive noise with R8000, and there are some suggestions the teeth on the guide pulley are too pronounced?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/bikewrench/comments/gegy32/ultegra_r8000_noise/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Can you post a vid of the RD in action while in those gears?

Plastik wrote: »
    Can you post a vid of the RD in action while in those gears?

I'll try get a video later today.

i'd say that's an 'err on the side of caution' response from sigma sports.

here's someone else reporting excessive noise with R8000, and there are some suggestions the teeth on the guide pulley are too pronounced?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/bikewrench/comments/gegy32/ultegra_r8000_noise/

Very interesting
    The 3rd (I think) post on that thread describes exactly what I experienced yesterday.

I put on a new Ultegra HG701 chain and for the spin after everything was perfect. Quiet, smooth. Perfect.
    Roads were filthy and wet so cleaned drive train after I got home and the noise was back again.

The guy in that 3rd post says he also experienced a noise that went away with a new chain and returned once chain was cleaned, albeit on an R8050 groupset.

I've noticed that vibration mentioned in the thread above from time to time. It comes and goes. It doesn't seem to cause an issue any it's more of an annoyance. I might replace gear cable and reindex to see if it makes a difference. I really don't think the jockey wheels are worn. I was just replacing them for want of trying something else.

Bambaata wrote: »
    Is if a PF BB that might not be properly seated?

Im having a similar'ish problem hwere i have a massive amount of lateral movement and been reading all i can on what it might be, i reckon mine is a bent crank, have tried all other things and can only come up with this for now. chain sings a few mm on each rotation and id come across the BB as a possible issue in my reading but its not it for me as ive had the same on 3 different bikes with same crank

Was replacing rear derailleur cable. The front cable also needs to be disconnected in order to replace the rear cable (both routed through a guide under the BB)
    Noticed after I loosened the cable retaining bolt on the FD that the nut the bolt goes into was cracked.

I removed the FD altogether as I can't clamp the cable and ordered a new one. Will try source a nut and bolt soon.

Chain noise was still there with the FD off. So I replaced both jockey wheels on the RD. Noise still there :(

So then this morning I removed the BB. The non drive side bearing is as rough as a bear's @rse. Not sure how that could cause the noise but stranger things have happened. So going to order bearings now and hopefully they'll arrive soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Noisy BB bearings? Can’t be...noises never come from the BB! :)

• Advertisement

Hmmmmm
    Need your expertise again folks please

I removed BB bearings. The non drive side doesn't feel anything as rough when out of the shell as it did when in the shell? Is this normal? How could this be?

Also, they are Enduro bearings (packaged as Rotor).
    They'd be these bearings (though bought in LBS at the time they were replaced)
    https://tinyurl.com/y6yeen28

NDS BB is undersized and compressing the bearing when it's in the shell.

What's the frame, looks like a CAAD12?

It's a CAAD 12

I figured as much
    Can I just put back in the bearings or do I order new SKF and put those in?

Thought I recognised the colour. You could put the bearings back in but the bigger issue obviously is that the BB isn't to spec and any bearing that you put in that NDS is going to feel or go rough in quick order. It might be worth your while in the long run considering something like a Hambini BB for it.

Thought I recognised the colour. You could put the bearings back in but the bigger issue obviously is that the BB isn't to spec and any bearing that you put in that NDS is going to feel or go rough in quick order. It might be worth your while in the long run considering something like a Hambini BB for it.

So I have them back in
    I swapped the bearings around. Now the 'rough' bearing feels rough on the DS and the bearing on the NDS seems fine
    So could be that it'll get rougher over time or it could be that the tolerance of the actual bearing was off a fraction? Will order new bearings and check out the Hambini BB

So, as above, I've put the bearings back in the BB and it appears the sound is louder than it was before :confused:
    There is no FD installed here so that rules out FD rub :D

(Recap - Sound loudest in 36/28 but also there in 26/24, albeit much less obvious)

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Akk2mjjNlxAbgatPEvp3O9LeaeoCNQ?e=dwdwGd

I have new bearings on order which will go in as soon as they arrive.

Here is a video also of the rear derailleur. I removed the derailleur, replaced the jockey wheels with Ultegra ones and verified without a shadow of a doubt that the chain is not rubbing off any part of the RD cage. RD also aligned correctly.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Akk2mjjNlxAbgatQDMAs5rSkf2aKZQ?e=RHMizQ

This was all absolutely perfect until the chain was replaced. It makes absolutely no sense to me at all. Tried different wheels also. :(

Have you had the chainrings off for cleaning, is the 36t on backwards? Was going to suggest it might be rubbing off the 52 but then it would be most prominent in the 11/12t. Does sound like it's from the front alright, and does sound like the chain. RD looks as smooth as can be.

Have you had the chainrings off for cleaning, is the 36t on backwards? Was going to suggest it might be rubbing off the 52 but then it would be most prominent in the 11/12t. Does sound like it's from the front alright, and does sound like the chain. RD looks as smooth as can be.

RD is super smooth ya..
    Never took the 36 off for any reason before. I have also looked to check if the chain is hitting the 52 when it's in the 36 and that's not happening either.
    The only conclusion I can come to now is that somehow or other the chain line is off? But how or what what would happen I don't know.

Actually what i haven't done is try it with a 25T lowest gear. I've tried another wheel but I'm almost sure it also has a 28 lowest..

Tomorrow I'll put on a 12/25 and check and see.

Advertisement