Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackpool Cork city

Options
  • 22-12-2020 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi guys, is Blackpool area in Cork city safe? I'm looking to buy a second hand apt in the area for my occupancy and then sale it or rent it out in a few years down the line.

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Hi guys, is Blackpool area in Cork city safe? I'm looking to buy a second hand apt in the area for my occupancy and then sale it or rent it out in a few years down the line.

Thanks a lot!

Southsiders will think it's dangerous.

I wouldn't rent out there though. You only have to look at the state of Orchard Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

yenom wrote: »

I wouldn't rent out there though. You only have to look at the state of Orchard Court.

It’s dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Define safe? I don't live around there but plenty do. There are a few parts of the city I'd be cautious around but Blackpool isn't one of them. Don't go looking for trouble and most likely you won't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kil

Doesnt have a great reputation but just walk around the neighbourhood after dark and you will get a feel for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭yogmeister

Blackpool is as safe as anywhere else in the city . I personally think it's a great spot to live. Its obviously not going to be as desirable as some of the more affluent areas of the city but it does have some good points depending on location in Blackpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭shawki

Are you on about the apartment in Orchard Court for €98,000?

Google is your friend.....

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40079747.html Man charged after €17,500 heroin seizure at railway station

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40098536.html charged with engaging in threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40122200.html Cork shoplifter given 10-month jail term for repeat offences

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30957378.html Man gets four months for 'nasty' assault with hammer that left cousin with head and arm injuries

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40130849.html Thirty-six households in Cork under investigation for illegal dumping

https://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/61519/bench-warrants-issued-for-two-charged-with-manslaughter-of-oughterard-publican-and-teacher Bench warrants issued for two charged with manslaughter of Oughterard publican and teacher

https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/irish-examiner/20180124/282406989774436 Man punched his female neighbour in the stomach

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

Thanks a lot!

I have no real issue with Blackpool, having said that I would stay clear of Orchard court and Spring Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Stay away from Orchard Court but the rest of the Blackpool is fine. I’m living here now 3 years and never had an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

I think Blackpool has a lot of potential, it could be the Stoneybatter of Cork. the gentrification has even started to happen, Maureens on Mulgrave road is one of best new pubs in Cork if not one of the best pubs in Cork. Yes, there's probably a few unsavory characters around the place, I currently live in St. Lukes which is well sought after, there's plenty of unsavory characters hanging around there too.

It's also so close to the city centre, ideal if you work there or if nightlife ever comes back. It appeals to me far more than Douglas or Rochestown, both places with no soul and they're committed to a life of driving everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

How about a house? Plenty of them available in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Thinkingalot

Thank you guys for your responses. Much appreciated Yes, that's the one in Orchard Court that I had been considering to buy. Now I sort of get an idea why it is selling at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Harika

Still in prime position for any Apple employees or Marriott..., if you don't mind dealing with high fluctuations in tenants could be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Might need to consider a sub forum for “Is this area of the city safe threads”. The place is clogged with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Lived just up the hill from Blackpool for over a year. Never had any trouble there, would walk the dog at night without any bother but there were two murders very close to us within 2 weeks so we decided to move out. It's grand for adults but not somewhere I'd like to bring up children as there are very few facilities in the area and the parks aren't safe

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Thinkingalot

Thanks guys.

wow murders - that's not sounding too positive. The apartment that I have been talking about is in Orchard Court people on here have specifically suggested to avoid that area in particular. I'm now reconsidering everything, thinking that it's probably not worth risking safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Try to find a bit of any city without a murder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I lived in Blackpool for 7 years, it all good bar orchard court. The gold teeth would be robbed out of your head if you get my drift

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Thank you guys for your responses. Much appreciated Yes, that's the one in Orchard Court that I had been considering to buy. Now I sort of get an idea why it is selling at that price.

It's the HQ of the Roma community if you like that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's a lot safer than Mogadishu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭RINO87

It's a lot safer than Mogadishu.

I don't live there but pass thru quite often, have to say I like the place. Sure there's no airs and graces but I like that sort of thing.

Often go out running/walking/cycling around Blackpool and Shandon on my own in the evenings and never seen anything that you wouldn't see anywhere else. Some troublemakers yes, but they very much tend to keep to themselves from what I've seen.

I would consider the gangs of roving bored teenagers in some of the more well off areas to be more of an annoyance really.

That said, there's a perfectly habitable house on spring Lane for 25k! Make of that what you will....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

A new race previously unknown to humankind has been formed in Orchard Court, the Traveller/Roma hybrid. As for Spring Lane it is an awful dreary depressing looking road, that horrible wall past the rail bridge should be knocked and the unused land behind it developed. Blackpool has lots of potential but no vision.

A new race previously unknown to humankind has been formed in Orchard Court, the Traveller/Roma hybrid. As for Spring Lane it is an awful dreary depressing looking road, that horrible wall past the rail bridge should be knocked and the unused land behind it developed. Blackpool has lots of potential but no vision.

The land in and around the railway bridge itself is a dumping ground riddled with vermin. I doubt very much it could be used for new build residential purposes in the modern day due to all sorts of restrictions and noise pollution. There's a house there that has been boarded up and derelict since the early 1990's and it was never renovated to this day. As for the potential for commercial use of the land i don't see it as being viable, boss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

The land in and around the railway bridge itself is a dumping ground riddled with vermin. I doubt very much it could be used for new build residential purposes in the modern day due to all sorts of restrictions and noise pollution. There's a house there that has been boarded up and derelict since the early 1990's and it was never renovated to this day. As for the potential for commercial use of the land i don't see it as being viable, boss!

The land to the west of the rail line is to be developed, apartments by Cork City Council. The rest of it could easily be levelled out and left to settle as for "all sorts of restrictions and noise pollution." that is bull**** if that was the case there would be no housing or apartments blocks built anywhere by any arterial routes in the city such as the small blocks by the Blackpool N20 overpass or the planned blocks by the N27 next to the South City Link, buffer !

The land to the west of the rail line is to be developed, apartments by Cork City Council. The rest of it could easily be levelled out and left to settle as for "all sorts of restrictions and noise pollution." that is bull**** if that was the case there would be no housing or apartments blocks built anywhere by any arterial routes in the city such as the small blocks by the Blackpool N20 overpass or the planned blocks by the N27 next to the South City Link, buffer !

It might be bull in your eyes but it is happening. Many a housing development has been stopped and those reasons mentioned. The Northside does get treated with contempt over the Southside

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

yenom wrote: »

Bounced there in a pub for years, dog rough

Bounced there in a pub for years, dog rough

I think from Geaney's/The Groves all the way down to Quinlans/The Constellation the only pub left is the Berehaven. Across Blackpool Bridge only The Bridge Inn remains as far as i know. Hally's is long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

I have lived in Orchard Court for almost 15 years. The main problem here is litter and dumping. There are a handful of households who deem it acceptable not to pay for a bin service and to leave black plastic bags along by the railings by the river. This is done late at night. The black bags are opened by the crows, the rubbish spills out onto the road, and is cleaned up by the council mid morning. It is so depressing to pass nappies etc every morning on my way to work. Orchard Court is a mostly private estate, with a smattering of council houses down by the green area at the far end from the entrances (there are three,one road and two pedestrian). There seems to be no enforcement, no working CCTV. I am Irish, and am hugely ashamed of my compatriots (and the majority of offenders are Irish). Blackpool is neglected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

I think from Geaney's/The Groves all the way down to Quinlans/The Constellation the only pub left is the Berehaven. Across Blackpool Bridge only The Bridge Inn remains as far as i know. Hally's is long gone.

Bredas is still open when covid not around bridge inn gone over a year at this stage.

ofcork wrote: »
    Bredas is still open when covid not around bridge inn gone over a year at this stage.

Wasn’t sure on that place, every time I pass it’s shut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Was open before covid struck see him leaving someone in on the quiet recently!!

Advertisement