Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020/21 NBA season + Olympics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That's quite the gear switch to attacking the poster rather than the post BS because he, what, had the temerity to disagree with you?! I don't agree with golf either on this particular point, but I have no idea why you'd start personalising that.

I’m sorry you feel that way, you can report the post if you feel it’s overstepped the mark.

However, this is not the first ridiculous thing this newcomer has posted. I’m also tired, drowsy, and probably irritable after major eye surgery yesterday.

I have however not solely attacked the poster personally. I have attempted to offer a counter argument by way of further extrapolating the logic by way of upping a 1minute sample to 36 to highlight the flawed logic contained in his initial post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

As I said if Joe Harris was to have the ball as much as Bradley Beal ie lead leaguing usage or even above 30%, I expect he’d average 20ppg+

The reason for this is that only 1 player with a usage rate of 30%+ in the past 5 years has averaged less than 20ppg. That is Drummond this year.

If Joe Harris was given the ball at this volume, he’d score a lot, far above the 15ppg. The team might never win but as the OP originally asked “What could Harris score?”

This is what I believe he *could* score and that was the basis for my point. It was simply an example of what could happen if a role player had high usage.

As I said if Joe Harris was to have the ball as much as Bradley Beal ie lead leaguing usage or even above 30%, I expect he’d average 20ppg+

The reason for this is that only 1 player with a usage rate of 30%+ in the past 5 years has averaged less than 20ppg. That is Drummond this year.

If Joe Harris was given the ball at this volume, he’d score a lot, far above the 15ppg. The team might never win but as the OP originally asked “What could Harris score?”

This is what I believe he *could* score and that was the basis for my point. It was simply an example of what could happen if a role player had high usage.

Sure. And there’s no other variables at all, it’s just a straight abc direct correlation.

Oh, wait.....

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭chalky_ie

When you find yourself getting aggressive over a hypothetical situation related to scoring averages, it's time to step away from the internet for a bit. Would you respond in this manner in person, if you were having this conversation?

Isaiah Thomas averaged 15.1ppg on a usage of 25.8% with the Suns during the season he was traded to the Celtics.

During the 2nd half of that season he averaged 19.0ppg off a usage of 32%. His efficiency went down across the board but his PPG went up.

Jahlil Okafor averaged 17.5ppg averaging a career low FG% but a usage rate of 27.5% during the year the 76ers won 10 games.

Okafor has a 17% usage rate now and averages 4pts per game.

There are a variety of factors but if Harris can score 15ppg on a usage of 16%, I suspect that if he was to double that, he could probably score 20ppg.

Again, his team would probably never win but doesn’t seem a stretch if he had the ball enough, he could comfortably average 20ppg.

Plenty of examples of average enough players scoring far above their respective ability simply because they had the ball a lot. Harris could comfortably fit that mould if given the opportunity.

• Advertisement

conor-w wrote: »
    When you find yourself getting aggressive over a hypothetical situation related to scoring averages, it's time to step away from the internet for a bit. Would you respond in this manner in person, if you were having this conversation?

When you feel the need to involve yourself in a conversation you’re not party to nor were invited or requested to, maybe it’s time to step away from the internet for a bit.

Isaiah Thomas averaged 15.1ppg on a usage of 25.8% with the Suns during the season he was traded to the Celtics.

During the 2nd half of that season he averaged 19.0ppg off a usage of 32%. His efficiency went down across the board but his PPG went up.

Jahlil Okafor averaged 17.5ppg averaging a career low FG% but a usage rate of 27.5% during the year the 76ers won 10 games.

Okafor has a 17% usage rate now and averages 4pts per game.

There are a variety of factors but if Harris can score 15ppg on a usage of 16%, I suspect that if he was to double that, he could probably score 20ppg.

Again, his team would probably never win but doesn’t seem a stretch if he had the ball enough, he could comfortably average 20ppg.

Plenty of examples of average enough players scoring far above their respective ability simply because they had the ball a lot. Harris could comfortably fit that mould if given the opportunity.

As previously posted. Equally valid by this logic:
    Sure. And if a guy playing 1 minute of garbage time averages 2 points and 1 rebound in that time gets his minutes upped to 36mins a game he’ll average 72 points and 36 rebounds a game. :rolleyes:
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Thanasis may be better than Giannis if he got the minutes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭chalky_ie

When you feel the need to involve yourself in a conversation you’re not party to nor were invited or requested to, maybe it’s time to step away from the internet for a bit.

I don't need to be invited to comment, it's a forum. Chill out, I'm sure you can discuss things without resorting to childish comments about playing the game, or how long someone has been a member of an internet forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Lads come on we only have a small community interested in the NBA on here posting and the forum always has been good and civil I am sure we can move on from a small disagreement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

And I thought boxing was bad for only being allowed an opinion if you were a pro :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Maybe I was sleep deprived but did the game winning / tie shot end up in the hands of Caruso last night

This a guy who I dont think had 1 basket against the Nets the night before

Bad from the Lakers

Maybe I was sleep deprived but did the game winning / tie shot end up in the hands of Caruso last night

This a guy who I dont think had 1 basket against the Nets the night before

Bad from the Lakers

Yeah, but IF he had taken 454 game winning or tieing shots before last night on nights when he had no other baskets and IF the Lakers were wearing their light blue uniforms and the games were on the last Saturday in February of non-leap years when the team’s leading Power Forward is injured and IF he then had a conversion/success rate of 33% on such shots this would confirm that the coach made the correct call to draw up this play for this player as this would indicate a potential higher probability rate of success than any other play or shot selection IF he was wearing his lucky socks and IF he has a hot dog with mustard only (but no ketchup) yesterday, as everyone knows that’s how baskeball works. Hypothetically of course.

Here comes the calvary!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Here comes the calvary!

I’ve read through the past few pages of posts and I think you are letting this get to you too much, Iam not sure why it has aggrieved you so much, everyone is entitled to an opinion, let’s not try and belittle anyone on here, as said above, we are a small community on here, it has been generally good for years, let’s not tun it into a circus.

Warriors threw away another game last night in a crazy ending. Up by 2 with 9 seconds left, Draymond gets a technical and ejected for dissent, they hit free throws and then the winner, bizarre.
    I understand people’s frustration with Draymond and I had an argument with a friend while watching the game, he should of been smarter but the refs where shocking and the call they made on him which he got upset about was understandably frustrating considering some of their previous calls, you have to take he good and he bad with him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

All - please get back to keeping things civil. As mentioned above - we are a small community who discuss the NBA and basketball as a whole so there is absolutely no need to be sniping at each other over differences of opinion.

So far as I know we have no former NBA players posting in this forum so everyone's opinion is equally valid here regardless of whether you've never played a pickup game or have played for Ireland or any sort of professional level. If you disagree with someone then rebut the points in their post with evidence rather than saying they didn't play and hence their opinion isn't valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,371 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Here comes the calvary!
    Well I was in agreement with you on the point about a player reaching 20+ PPG with extra minutes. I'm not in agreement with you on playing the game though.
    Chuck Daly is one of the greatest coaches of all time and he didn't play the game. I'm sure there are others too but I know about him.
    There are things that only a player would know but an intelligent fan whose watched the game for years can have an excellent knowledge of the game.
    I played amateur basketball at secondary school level and there's plenty of people I know who never played and have a great knowledge of the game.
    And I know players who played in the Irish league many years and they were interested in my opinion on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,603 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

All - please get back to keeping things civil. As mentioned above - we are a small community who discuss the NBA and basketball as a whole so there is absolutely no need to be sniping at each other over differences of opinion.

So far as I know we have no former NBA players posting in this forum so everyone's opinion is equally valid here regardless of whether you've never played a pickup game or have played for Ireland or any sort of professional level. If you disagree with someone then rebut the points in their post with evidence rather than saying they didn't play and hence their opinion isn't valid.

I dont think theres ever been an Irish player in the NBA oddly enough.

Pat Burke was born here and played for Ireland actually.

• Advertisement

Oh google lied to me. Cool. Will look him up so!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,371 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

pjohnson wrote:

Technically we've had one, Pat Burke. He moved to the US when he was very young but he's Irish born and played for the Magic.

Oh google lied to me. Cool. Will look him up so!

Some of us know more than just what's on google about Basketball and Irish Basketball.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Technically we've had one, Pat Burke. He moved to the US when he was very young but he's Irish born and played for the Magic.

And the Suns.

Some of us know more than just what's on google about Basketball and Irish Basketball.

Can't lie I'm pretty new to following basketball and have been going backwards from most recent years. I'm up to date as far back as the Mavs win in 2011 so there are still gaps in my knowledge pre-last decade but I'm planning on plugging them.

Can't lie I'm pretty new to following basketball and have been going backwards from most recent years. I'm up to date as far back as the Mavs win in 2011 so there are still gaps in my knowledge pre-last decade but I'm planning on plugging them.

Cool, welcome aboard!

I played and trained with Pat. Lovely guy, no airs and graces about him. He was - and I'm not being unkind here - limited in his skill set but obviously talented enough at those elements of the game to make the NBA. Classic rebounder and screen setting big man, not a scorer. From what I read at the time when he was in the NBA he was very popular with his team-mates, a real "glue guy". He was absolutely HUGE though. He was 6'11" and wide as a house. I'm 6'6" and I looked like a malnourished kid beside him. If he boxed you out you weren't getting around him.

But again, and some don't realise this, just because he was an NBA player didn't mean he was scoring 50ppg in Europe. He wasn't, not even close to it, because of what his skills were. He wasn't a scorer. Again, things don't transfer just like that, and to suggest otherwise illustrates a lack of nuance and understanding of the game.

Sounds like a mini ( :P ) version of Boban so not suprised to see that Burke was a Center aswell. He ticked specific niches and thats what got him on rosters to do exactly what his niche was.

Theres much more than just scoring/assisting.

Sounds like a mini ( :P ) version of Boban so not suprised to see that Burke was a Center aswell. He ticked specific niches and thats what got him on rosters to do exactly what his niche was.

Theres much more than just scoring/assisting.

Of course. But many people think that because someone played in the NBA they’ll automatically dominate in lower leagues. Doesn’t work like that.

Nothing like a quality game on early Sunday. I’ve been awaiting this one all week.

Pelicans one of the game pass teams to have and Celtics might be the most enigmatic team of the year.

Outside of the actual fun of an early Zion game, I think the Pels could be a good litmus test for that shaky Celtics frontcourt.

Physicality of Zion & Adams could really show up the Celtics need to consider Drummond as an option

Adams is day to day but hopeful for a full roster on both sides.

• Advertisement

I actually saw him play when he was at the suns, I think he was a center, Offaly born I think

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement