Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020/21 NBA season + Olympics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Gregk961 wrote: »
    The sad thing about Doc Rivers is that no matter how poorly he performs at a team he will walk straight into another high profile job.

Oh yes, and then some of the media will tell us that black coaches are discriminated against. Fwiw, I do think some are passed over unfairly but some aren’t, Rivers being an obvious example.

Only two Sixers scored a field goal in the entire second half last night btw (Embiid and Curry), I don’t know if that’s the first time that’s happened but I’d assume so.

LeBron whining again. And changing his number. Anything to keep himself in the headlines, I’m just surprised he didn’t wait until the finals to do it.

I can't emphasize how SHOCKED I am that Carlisle is leaving the Mavs. After Nelson yesterday and now this today it really makes you wonder WTF REALLY happened over that Atlantic article. It all points to Luka pulling the strings it seems.............crazy stuff. Carlisle is one of the very best coaches out in the NBA, Nelson was there for 24 years. Bonkers. Unless Carlisle is going to Boston, but I can't see him reporting to Stevens. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Couldn't be happier watching Simmons tank his value, been saying for a long time that he'd be perfect in Portland and this might actually be the year both teams are looking to make a big trade :pac:

Honest question though: who actually thinks Ben Simmons can improve?

I have a feeling that once his contract runs out, he'll get 1-2 short contracts before being out of the league.

He's a bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭qwabercd

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

I have a feeling that once his contract runs out, he'll get 1-2 short contracts before being out of the league.

He's a bust.

He's obviously limited but I'd be very surprised to see that happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

He's a bust.

Regardless of Simmons improving or not he is not going to be out of work. I could see him bouncing around teams after the 6ers but no way a player with his talent wont always be picked up.

I dont think anybody can call him a bust. He's a perennial all-star, all NBA player. A lot of people imagined he would be one of the top 10 players in the league by this stage of his career and that just hasn't happened yet or maybe never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭Corvo

I can't emphasize how SHOCKED I am that Carlisle is leaving the Mavs. After Nelson yesterday and now this today it really makes you wonder WTF REALLY happened over that Atlantic article. It all points to Luka pulling the strings it seems.............crazy stuff. Carlisle is one of the very best coaches out in the NBA, Nelson was there for 24 years. Bonkers. Unless Carlisle is going to Boston, but I can't see him reporting to Stevens. Weird.

He'll have some decent jobs to choose from for sure - Boston, Portland and probably Milwaukee.

Also it seems to have gone largely unnoticed but the Pacers fired Nate Bjorkgren a few days ago. Given what was made public about his interactions and relationships with players he will struggle to find a job in the NBA, which for a guy so young (he's only 45, a baby in NBA coaching terms) will be difficult.

Kemba Walker to OKC for...wait for it....Al Horford. Celtics effectively giving up on Walker.

They also threw in a first and a second, and get a second back along with Horford and Moses.

Just a salary dump basically, but an expensive one. I assume Horford will be paid off to free salary cap range. Disastrous deal overall (when you factor the original trade in and the fact Rozier looks almost as good now on a lot less money).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭nerd69

Kemba Walker to OKC for...wait for it....Al Horford. Celtics effectively giving up on Walker.

They also threw in a first and a second, and get a second back along with Horford and Moses.

Just a salary dump basically, but an expensive one. I assume Horford will be paid off to free salary cap range. Disastrous deal overall (when you factor the original trade in and the fact Rozier looks almost as good now on a lot less money).

They had to do something I suppose the current teams winning nothing itl.be interesting to see who they target

• Advertisement

nerd69 wrote: »
    They had to do something I suppose the current teams winning nothing itl.be interesting to see who they target

I know. It’s an interesting first step though in that it rids them of a problem contract and frees up cap room, but it brings zero in return back. For example if they traded Kemba for Porzingis he’s at least better than Horford and also a lot younger so would actually contribute in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,274 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Horford still a positive player. If he stayed healthy and managed ~29 mins across 60+ games you’re getting something.

I agree it’s a deal where they just wanted him off the books, but Horford isn’t a complete write off.

I know. It’s an interesting first step though in that it rids them of a problem contract and frees up cap room, but it brings zero in return back. For example if they traded Kemba for Porzingis he’s at least better than Horford and also a lot younger so would actually contribute in some way.

To be sure I'm not sure how attractive an asset porzingis is now either

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

A Kemba-Porzingis trade seems inevitable at some stage.

nerd69 wrote: »
    To be sure I'm not sure how attractive an asset porzingis is now either

It’s more attractive than Al Horford.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,122 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Sixers take it to game 7 with a very good team performance. Trae Young was awesome again for the Hawks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,399 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I checked the jazz clippers game last night at half time to see was it worth staying up for. Jazz up 22 points so went to bed instead .....

It’s more attractive than Al Horford.

To be fair it's not horford really it's for roster flexibility

Clippers finally look like they've got a team that's working for each other yet they're going to be without Kawhi. So near yet so far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,122 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Coneygree wrote:
    Clippers finally look like they've got a team that's working for each other yet they're going to be without Kawhi. So near yet so far away.
    Is there a possibility that they are a better 'team' without Kawhi? Kinda like they depend too much on him when he's there and work harder for each other when he's not.
    Like it's a massively talented roster.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Is there a possibility that they are a better 'team' without Kawhi? Kinda like they depend too much on him when he's there and work harder for each other when he's not.
    Like it's a massively talented roster.

Maybe so. It'll be some achievement to do it all without Kawhi and Ibaka if they go all the way.

Giannis giving absolutely everything here but Nets keeping pace.

• Jesus, that was poor possession from Bucks... 6 seconds left...

Jrue is awful. Bad decision after bad decision.

Just wow. Bucks showed a lot of guts but Durant has basically zero help. Not making any more predictions as I’ve basically got every single one wrong but what a great play off it’s been.

2smiggy wrote: »
    the Bucks are still in this years playoffs ...

Cough ..

2smiggy wrote: »
    Cough ..

I picked the Bucks to beat the Nets in this series myself, but at full strength the gap between these teams is huge talent wise. We’re it not for injuries the Nets would have won. Real missed opportunity for them.

I picked the Bucks to beat the Nets in this series myself, but at full strength the gap between these teams is huge talent wise. We’re it not for injuries the Nets would have won. Real missed opportunity for them.

Can't say I'm disappointed to see them lose to be honest !!

Next year could be the same problem for them, Kyrie and KD being injured. Harden has never had that sort of problem and is still only 31.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,274 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Injuries really are ruining the playoffs. Kyrie going down is the only reason the Bucks are in the finals. The first two games were absurdly comfortable. Then it became KD playing Ironman vs the Bucks almost on his own.

Meanwhile in the West Suns will have faced three teams in succession missing key players.

We may end up with a very novel finals but it’s a stretch to think they’re the two best teams. It’s been annoying a little bit. Makes these series difficult to talk about and analyse tbh. Last night was tense and enjoyable but of course the Bucks should have won given the context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,221 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Bucks should've won, obviously, given the injuries, but they still had to also fight some dodgy officiating. Nets got more than a few soft calls to nearly help them there.

KD just didn't have the legs. He didn't deserve that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement