Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020/21 NBA season + Olympics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Yea, will be interesting to see how it turns out, I really like him as a coach and I think the Mavs might just let this one be in order to not stir the pot over his departure which in my opinion was very questionable, we obviously don’t know exactly what’s going on behind the scenes but Luka might just be a super diva, publicly he said all the right things about Nelson’s and Carlisles departure but I wonder did he have any influence.
    Bottom line is that the Mavs are a little bit of a mess right now when they are trying to build a championship team around Luka.
    It would be pretty ironic if Trae Young won a championship first, he has been great for these playoffs, I think if Atlanta win it all they would probably get the least respect from the usual haters out there, that only enjoy watching the superstars dominate the league.
    Also the draft will be very interesting this year, Warriors are in a nice/tough spot, draft talent or put together a trade package to try and win now.

The Hawks could win it all and I’d be delighted if they did. I’d be happy enough seeing any of the remaining teams win it tbh, each for different reasons. The league needs new teams, not the Lakers winning it again. I’m enjoying the Play Offs an awful lot more than I expected tbh.

Yeah something up with Luca alright. Let me put it this way, I don’t think either are gone if Luca is asked “do you him them to stay?”. This could really work against him and his development. Luca is already ball dominant and extremely high usage, I feel he needs a disciplinarian to develop the rest of his game, not someone who will pander to him. He needs someone like a Pop tbh, but I don’t think there’s a Pop out there right now.

Trae Young has really grown in these Play Offs way more than I think anyone imagined. He’s such an offensive threat it’s a joy to watch. And the showmanship is next level, as is the attitude. I’m amazed no one has flattened him tbh (I know
    Trevor Ariza kinda did last year when he nutmegged him)……maybe it’s coming if they play the Clippers and Pat Bev.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

KD and Scottie Pippen going at it in public. It never ceases to amaze me how much KD gets affected by things other people say.

It’s insane, he must suffer from low self esteem or something but my god he needs let all that outside chatter go, it’s not healthy

It’s insane, he must suffer from low self esteem or something but my god he needs let all that outside chatter go, it’s not healthy

If that was me, if I was to even bother getting involved I’d be like “I’m Kevin Durant. Who TF are you?”. End of argument unless Jordan is coming after you. It’s beyond belief really. I wonder has he ever seen a shrink? Not joking btw. How can a guy that good and that confident on the court be so insecure off it?

To be fair though, his Pippen put-downs were pretty funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

You would worry about the toll all this must take on KD's mental health but there is an argument that its healthier that he airs it out rather than hiding behind the strong, silent-type facade that most athletes project. The healthiest thing to do is obviously ignore all the chatter but it's in our nature to react to criticism and has a greater impact if its bottled up.

We're in uncharted territory in terms of understanding the toll social media takes on all of our psyches but for people in the public eye its magnified 100x..Look at an average Twitter thread concerning an athlete and take note of how much of it is abuse.

I actually find it slightly endearing that he is willing to display his vulnerabilities. You can be sure a lot more NBA players are affected by criticism but just supress the urge to respond.

Jason Kidd set to be new Mavs coach, Kidd never set the work alight with his past two head jobs but probably learnt a lot from them and his time at the Lakers

• Advertisement

Jason Kidd set to be new Mavs coach, Kidd never set the work alight with his past two head jobs but probably learnt a lot from them and his time at the Lakers

He’s signed for 4 years. I’d bet my house he isn’t there to complete that contract. A disastrous move IMO, it’s hard to imagine a worse coach for Luca and that situation tbh. Kidd wants to be down with the players and be their friend, that’s not what they (Dallas) need. And that’s before we talk about the off-court stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,122 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Kidd is a Mavs legend, he'll be well respected there. He'll get full support from everybody.
    I think it'll work out well.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Kidd is a Mavs legend, he'll be well respected there. He'll get full support from everybody.
    I think it'll work out well.

You do realise they parted on very bad terms last time? His coaching pedigree is at best average, but it’s his behaviour that concerns me more. He was constantly in stories about undermining Vogel, he made some frankly bizarre coaching decisions when last a head coach, and his “endorsement” from Carlisle was shall we say “loaded”. There were also some “interesting” stories about Kidd behind the scenes in both NJ and the Bucks. I’d bet it ends badly.

He’s signed for 4 years. I’d bet my house he isn’t there to complete that contract. A disastrous move IMO, it’s hard to imagine a worse coach for Luca and that situation tbh. Kidd wants to be down with the players and be their friend, that’s not what they (Dallas) need. And that’s before we talk about the off-court stuff.

Yea, I am trying to look at the positives but I know all about his shenanigans over the years, on and off the court. I am hoping he has grown with age but I know his character is questionable at times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭Corvo

Gregk961 wrote: »
    You would worry about the toll all this must take on KD's mental health but there is an argument that its healthier that he airs it out rather than hiding behind the strong, silent-type facade that most athletes project. The healthiest thing to do is obviously ignore all the chatter but it's in our nature to react to criticism and has a greater impact if its bottled up.

We're in uncharted territory in terms of understanding the toll social media takes on all of our psyches but for people in the public eye its magnified 100x..Look at an average Twitter thread concerning an athlete and take note of how much of it is abuse.

I actually find it slightly endearing that he is willing to display his vulnerabilities. You can be sure a lot more NBA players are affected by criticism but just supress the urge to respond.

His burner account stuff is mental. Twitter and Reddit apparently.

I listen to that ETC podcast he’s on regularly and he’s so articulate and so knowledgeable about the game and then you find out he sending horrendous messages to Michael Rappaport or the like.

• Advertisement

Randomly watching YouTube today after some hoops video analysis and who pops up but Rick Bayless (brother of Skip). Rick is a chef/restauranteur in the US worth approx. $30-50m depending on which report you believe. Interesting family!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Great postseason so far. Suns, not long ago a laughingstock, on the verge of the Finals. Hawks still in it.... Parity. It's a beautiful thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,275 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Igotadose wrote: »
    Great postseason so far. Suns, not long ago a laughingstock, on the verge of the Finals. Hawks still in it.... Parity. It's a beautiful thing.

I am pleased for the Suns. Players are playing out of their skin; some excellent coaching; and their fans are incredible.

However, they’ve had a somewhat ridiculous path. Not that they’ll care, but it’s a weird run to face three teams on the bounce with key injuries.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I am pleased for the Suns. Players are playing out of their skin; some excellent coaching; and their fans are incredible.

However, they’ve had a somewhat ridiculous path. Not that they’ll care, but it’s a weird run to face three teams on the bounce with key injuries.

Miami we’re pretty seriously affected by injuries in the Finals last year against the Lakers but that didn’t diminish that title. Who does LeBron play for again? Oh yeah…..

This has been a great, very entertaining and wide open Play Offs. It’s been more like an NFL play offs in many ways where it feels like almost any team has a chance on any night. I’ve enjoyed it way more than I expected tbh.

Miami we’re pretty seriously affected by injuries in the Finals last year against the Lakers but that didn’t diminish that title. Who does LeBron play for again? Oh yeah…..

You need to let your hatred of LeBron go, it’s unhealthy.

As it is, the Suns have had a very fortuitous path. That can’t be debated? But if they close it out and get to the Finals it’s right there for them, and they’d be very popular winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭qwabercd

How do you manage to bring everything back to LeBron? It must be exhausting. The best poster on here but you really need to just let the LeBron thing go.

As it is, the Suns have had a very fortuitous path. That can’t be debated? But if they close it out and get to the Finals it’s right there for them, and they’d be very popular winners.
    qwabercd wrote: »
    How do you manage to bring everything back to LeBron? It must be exhausting. The best poster on here but you really need to just let the LeBron thing go.

Aw, did someone not say something nice about LeBron again?

You need to let your “LeBron can do no wrong” hero worship of him go.

Notice you didn’t reply to my injuries quote of your email. Funny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Aw, did someone not say something nice about LeBron again?

To be clear, I strongly dislike LeBron myself.

• Advertisement

Notice you didn’t reply to my injuries quote of your email. Funny that.

Yeah I ignored a post that was looking to personalise the conversation while also appealing to authority. Best to avoid that sort of exchange and let chat about the playoffs flow imo.

Be very interesting to see how the Hawks react tonight. Expecting a really good game.

Yeah I ignored a post that was looking to personalise the conversation while also appealing to authority. Best to avoid that sort of exchange and let chat about the playoffs flow imo.

Lol. Is that how you interpreted it? Aw tiddums. You made a factually incorrect statement (not for the first time btw). I corrected you on it. That’s all it was. But as usual, when corrected you react by either saying it’s personal or not responding. Why can’t you admit you were wrong?

qwabercd wrote: »
    To be clear, I strongly dislike LeBron myself.

Really? Tell me why? Genuinely curious.

FWIW, Jackie McMullan called him out last week for his antics on a pod I listened to, specifically mentioning the number change and his injury comments as his latest attempts to keep himself in the news when not playing and trying to take headlines away from others. Is she a hater too?

Really? Tell me why? Genuinely curious.

FWIW, Jackie McMullan called him out last week for his antics on a pod I listened to, specifically mentioning the number change and his injury comments as his latest attempts to keep himself in the news when not playing and trying to take headlines away from others. Is she a hater too?

Ahh Butters, we find ourselves here again, you are a fantastic knowledgeable poster but you tend to get wrapped up in the LeBron stuff, I totally get it, he gets a free pass on a lot of things but as you said people like Jackie McMullen have called him out and a lot more commentators have called him out, not directly as one may like, it’s almost like everyone kind of just rolls their eyes with him now and can see right through him. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, he could be a lot worse, he does a lot of good and is reasonably grounded considering his level of fame.
    I think LeBron is his own worst enemy and more people than you think see through him

• Registered Users Posts: 38,122 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Most of us know that LeBron has character flaws but it's tiresome seeing all your posts mentioning him.
    If you don't like what he does then don't talk about him, you are giving him publicity every time you talk about him.
    It's doesn't matter whether it's good or bad publicity, all talk about him helps him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Take the LeBron chat out of the playoff thread please everyone

I know it’s relatively early days but looks like the Bucks have figured Atlanta out. Will be interesting to see if they (Atlanta) go all out bombing in game 4 to mix it up. Could still go 6 or 7 but Atlanta really need to win game 4.

Looks like we're heading for Suns Bucks Finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Hawks are missing Hunter severely. Amazing they've even got this far tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement