Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020/21 NBA season + Olympics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

I’m actually beginning to wonder are you trolling at this stage.

What's trolling about presenting objective numbers on Tyler Herro and sharing a video which shows the sets that Spoe has created to showcase his ability?

Perhaps you might try a rebuttal rather than a childish response.

No one said instantaneous in a first game sense. Clearly what was meant was when he returns to fitness abs sheds the fat, which he will do.

It was a friendly needle. Chill out

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

It was a friendly needle. Chill out

Chill out? Says the person who just threw out a “childish response” comment?

Really?

Chill out? Says the person who just threw out a “childish response” comment?

Really?

Are you joking?

Yes you clearly threw the first incendiary comment by questioning whether I was trolling.

That is a childish comment and I said as much.

Are you joking?

Yes you clearly threw the first incendiary comment by questioning whether I was trolling.

That is a childish comment and I said as much.

No. I’m not joking.

You actually threw the first jab with your not so subtle “not exactly the instantaneous return we were guaranteed” dig at anyone who said Harden would be better than he’s been in recent weeks in Houston.

You’re on here a very short time and have had arguments with many people already. But I’m the one who needs to chill out? Ok.....:rolleyes:

You then tell someone to chill out after you say they made a childish comment. Is that how you normally engage with people? Do you think that
    a) helped de-escalate things
    b) escalated things

Do you think your behaviour is perfect? Serious question.

Your logic on Herro and Harden is baffling. You’re incredibly black and white in your arguments, focusing on a snap shot of time (in Harden’s case the last 9 games) rather than being nuanced. You’re ignoring - particularly in Herro’s case - the potential upside and the potential for improvement in the coming years. He’s still 20. Presenting your argument like you suggests this will always be his production. He has one thing in particular that doesn’t show in raw numbers, and that’s big game temperament.

I’m going to bed now, but I’ll elaborate further if required tomorrow. I won’t however be replying tonight in case you think I’m running away or something.

• Advertisement

No. I’m not joking.

You actually threw the first jab with your not so subtle “not exactly the instantaneous return we were guaranteed” dig at anyone who said Harden would be better than he’s been in recent weeks in Houston.

You’re on here a very short time and have had arguments with many people already. But I’m the one who needs to chill out? Ok.....:rolleyes:

You then tell someone to chill out after you say they made a childish comment. Is that how you normally engage with people? Do you think that
    a) helped de-escalate things
    b) escalated things

Do you think your behaviour is perfect? Serious question.

Your logic on Herro and Harden is baffling. You’re incredibly black and white in your arguments, focusing on a snap shot of time (in Harden’s case the last 9 games) rather than being nuanced. You’re ignoring - particularly in Herro’s case - the potential upside and the potential for improvement in the coming years. He’s still 20. Presenting your argument like you suggests this will always be his production. He has one thing in particular that doesn’t show in raw numbers, and that’s big game temperament.

I’m going to bed now, but I’ll elaborate further if required tomorrow. I won’t however be replying tonight in case you think I’m running away or something.

My response was a friendly needle as I said and was directed at Buyer
    buyer95 wrote: »
    I would bet a significant amount of money that almost instantaneously you will see Harden turn this around.

Perhaps-they might confirm- had a little needle at me with the twitter screenshot.

It was nothing whatsoever related to you so no need to jump to conclusions.

Arguing with people? I have had disagreements on points of view of basketball.
    Its about as benign as a topic could be and if you take a look through the comments, my language was never offensive.

You escalated by questioning whether I was a troll. You fully deserved to have your comment called childish so you're entirely at fault.

You made an incorrect inference and subsequently directly questioned whether i was trolling.
    Unfortunately, you jumping to incorrect conclusions has unnecessarily escalated this and maybe it far more inflammatory than was intended.

Fine we disagree on Harden and Herro, again we dont have to agree but I'm not trolling.
    I dont appreciate you suggesting I might be and clearly you are the cause of this escalation.
    That is plainly obvious to anyone.

Try be a little more grown up in your responses and I wont need to call out your comments the way I did.

Feel free to respond when you get some rest if you wish.

Not exactly the instantaneous return that we were guaranteed but he's played pretty well.
    4 TO's thus far so perhaps a quadruple double on the cards.

Nash was funny at the start when asked about a minutes restriction and laughed it off in a clear fun needle about his conditioning.

Hard to know where Kyrie fits when looking at this.

One turnover short. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Not exactly the instantaneous return that we were guaranteed but he's played pretty well.
    4 TO's thus far so perhaps a quadruple double on the cards.

Nash was funny at the start when asked about a minutes restriction and laughed it off in a clear fun needle about his conditioning.

Hard to know where Kyrie fits when looking at this.

Stayed off boards until after the game as I wanted to properly watch it.

I said 'almost instantaneous.' As Butters said that obviously did not mean game 1 perfection. Harden did play an unbelievable second half though.
    After feeling his way through the first half he was much more assertive in the second half about looking for his shot. He breezed his way to 32, 14 and 11. The broader point though that Harden had not suddenly become a diminished player stands. Or to make the point more specific, your contention that GM's around the league were worried that Harden would struggle to get back to his elite level is still one that I strongly disagree with.

It was clear as day to everyone that James was simply not trying the last 5 or 6 games in Houston. He still needs to shed those excess pounds but all things considered I'd consider that fairly instantaneous. Harden is the first player to have a thirty point triple double in his debut. He is going to do very well in Brooklyn.

All that said, the defense was worrying. That is a poor Magic team and they scored way too easily on the inside. Time will tell how far this team can go, but one things for sure - they will be fun to watch.

Stayed off boards until after the game as I wanted to properly watch it.

I said 'almost instantaneous.' As Butters said that obviously did not mean game 1 perfection. Harden did play an unbelievable second half though.
    After feeling his way through the first half he was much more assertive in the second half about looking for his shot. He breezed his way to 32, 14 and 11. The broader point though that Harden had not suddenly become a diminished player stands. Or to make the point more specific, your contention that GM's around the league were worried that Harden would struggle to get back to his elite level is still one that I strongly disagree with.

It was clear as day to everyone that James was simply not trying the last 5 or 6 games in Houston. He still needs to shed those excess pounds but all things considered I'd consider that fairly instantaneous. Harden is the first player to have a thirty point triple double in his debut. He is going to do very well in Brooklyn.

All that said, the defense was worrying. That is a poor Magic team and they scored way too easily on the inside. Time will tell how far this team can go, but one things for sure - they will be fun to watch.

Of course not, as I said it was a needle, one specifically directed at your comment. Completely in jest.
    Your Harden pic was obviously shared as joke too, whether directed at me or not, it was taken by me as a obvious joke.

As I said previously I thought he would more than likely return to elite form but questioned how quick it might come. The signs were better than expected, no issue acknowledging that.

Him and Durant looked good together hitting that magic 120pt marker they'll need.
    As I previously said, how Kyrie fits will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

My chips are all in on the Nets .

• Advertisement

My chips are all in on the Nets .

KD's return from what is generally viewed as a career altering injury has been unbelievable.
    He looks so comfortable and playing big mins too.

LaVert's situation is sad, they found a mass on his kidney during his physical but continued with the trade.

They must suspect it's not anything malignant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Corvo

Bucks next up for the Nets, which should be interesting.

KD's return from what is generally viewed as a career altering injury has been unbelievable.
    He looks so comfortable and playing big mins too.

LaVert's situation is sad, they found a mass on his kidney during his physical but continued with the trade.

They must suspect it's not anything malignant

Seen that and thought the worst . Hopefully as you say it's ok

My response was a friendly needle as I said and was directed at Buyer

Perhaps-they might confirm- had a little needle at me with the twitter screenshot.

It was nothing whatsoever related to you so no need to jump to conclusions.

Arguing with people? I have had disagreements on points of view of basketball.
    Its about as benign as a topic could be and if you take a look through the comments, my language was never offensive.

You escalated by questioning whether I was a troll. You fully deserved to have your comment called childish so you're entirely at fault.

You made an incorrect inference and subsequently directly questioned whether i was trolling.
    Unfortunately, you jumping to incorrect conclusions has unnecessarily escalated this and maybe it far more inflammatory than was intended.

Fine we disagree on Harden and Herro, again we dont have to agree but I'm not trolling.
    I dont appreciate you suggesting I might be and clearly you are the cause of this escalation.
    That is plainly obvious to anyone.

Try be a little more grown up in your responses and I wont need to call out your comments the way I did.

Feel free to respond when you get some rest if you wish.

Seeing as you ignored the many questions I asked you and rather then apologise you’ve doubled down further I think the best thing to do is ignore you. Hi

I'd love nothing more than seeing the lakers and the nets in the finals . Covid has cleared and fans are back allowed in arenas

Hook it to my veins

I'd love nothing more than seeing the lakers and the nets in the finals . Covid has cleared and fans are back allowed in arenas

Hook it to my veins

KD vs LBJ, Kyrie vs LBJ. Lots of interesting narratives involved.

Buyouts will be quite interesting, the Nets certainly have more available mins. PJ Tucker comes to mind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Of course not, as I said it was a needle, one specifically directed at your comment. Completely in jest.
    Your Harden pic was obviously shared as joke too, whether directed at me or not, it was taken by me as a obvious joke.

As I said previously I thought he would more than likely return to elite form but questioned how quick it might come. The signs were better than expected, no issue acknowledging that.

Him and Durant looked good together hitting that magic 120pt marker they'll need.
    As I previously said, how Kyrie fits will be interesting.

Hi all - let’s keep things civil around here. Best to avoid the way the forum went a couple of years ago.

Generally accusing someone of being a troll is just as frowned upon as someone actually trolling so try to avoid that. The report post function is there if you feel aggrieved by a post.

KD vs LBJ, Kyrie vs LBJ. Lots of interesting narratives involved.

Buyouts will be quite interesting, the Nets certainly have more available mins. PJ Tucker comes to mind.

Yep . Nets prob do need one or 3 shrewd pieces of business before the playoffs . Not impossible but will be hard nonetheless

When you think back to the Lakers and Houston in the bubble . Houston gave them a lot of trouble at the start of that series. The Lakers then doubled Harden and left the ball in Westbrook's hands whose confidence was shot to pieces

I don't see how they can stop the Nets scoring 120 with the type of defence they have . Their defence isn't suited to playing the Nets at all . Now you could say the same for the Nets defence as things stand against the Lakers.

Intriguing

Yep . Nets prob do need one or 3 shrewd pieces of business before the playoffs . Not impossible but will be hard nonetheless

When you think back to the Lakers and Houston in the bubble . Houston gave them a lot of trouble at the start of that series. The Lakers then doubled Harden and left the ball in Westbrook's hands whose confidence was shot to pieces

I don't see how they can stop the Nets scoring 120 with the type of defence they have . Their defence isn't suited to playing the Nets at all . Now you could say the same for the Nets defence as things stand against the Lakers.

Intriguing

Definitely, they don’t have much in terms of a lockdown perimeter defender especially with Rondo gone so against 3 of the best 1 vs 1 players they might struggle a little.

I agree that the Nets match up well vs the Lakers. That’s the element of the playoffs that differs so much from regular season. Match ups become infinitely more important.

Really intriguing few weeks coming, so much centres on Kyrie now

• Registered Users Posts: 36,339 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Interesting discussion around the Harden trade. My big takeaway is teams need to understand the realities around stars saying they want out and get ahead of it. Houston clearly hoped Harden might knuckle down and get over it but it’s now clear that they would have been better served proactively trying to get a deal done before the season commenced. Harden weakened their negotiating position and I would personally conclude they got less than fair value in the end.

On the other side, yeah the Nets have no depth or defense but so what - they have a much better shot at a championship now than they did before doing the deal. It might not be this year but it doesn’t have to be this year.

I could see Kyrie being traded at some point. He’s not the type of character who can play second or third fiddle, his weird stuff around LeBron has shown us that before. He’d be the one of the three you’d move here too. Harden + KD plus solid pieces is a perennial championship contender.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Interesting discussion around the Harden trade. My big takeaway is teams need to understand the realities around stars saying they want out and get ahead of it. Houston clearly hoped Harden might knuckle down and get over it but it’s now clear that they would have been better served proactively trying to get a deal done before the season commenced. Harden weakened their negotiating position and I would personally conclude they got less than fair value in the end.

On the other side, yeah the Nets have no depth or defense but so what - they have a much better shot at a championship now than they did before doing the deal. It might not be this year but it doesn’t have to be this year.

I could see Kyrie being traded at some point. He’s not the type of character who can play second or third fiddle, his weird stuff around LeBron has shown us that before. He’d be the one of the three you’d move here too. Harden + KD plus solid pieces is a perennial championship contender.

Well put, the first paragraph is largely my position on it too.

The Rockets position was undoubtedly weakened by Harden and the assets available were not quite what they might have been nor were the full array of prospectors.

Although I’m a little more concerned on Harden’s ability to bounce back to his previous peak, anything close to peak Harden is a massive win.
    All that said, I still feel that in light of the Rockets weakened position the haul they received and a deal centered on Simmons was a good return.

In light of the circumstances the Rockets were in, I feel they won from such a relatively poor negotiating position. That’s not to say the Nets didn’t come away happy but I don’t think this is a deal whereby the team losing the superstar will be aggrieved given where they stood.

Kyrie will be interesting but that is a scenario where real pennies on the dollar might exist. It’s one of the most unusual situations I can recall

• Registered Users Posts: 36,339 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nba/news/76ers-were-so-sure-of-james-harden-deal-that-ben-simmons-was-told-to-expect-a-trade-per-report/amp/

This article is somewhat speculative but if true, Houston have just handled this entire thing emotionally rather than logically.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nba/news/76ers-were-so-sure-of-james-harden-deal-that-ben-simmons-was-told-to-expect-a-trade-per-report/amp/

This article is somewhat speculative but if true, Houston have just handled this entire thing emotionally rather than logically.

Haven’t read it but Windhorst said last week Simmons himself was fully expecting to be traded on the day itself. As did multiple other commentators.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

To be fair all 3 of those players could be alsewhere in two years people figured the picks the Celtics got off of them.woukd be useless also.

Realistically I don't know what the rockets would build short term.around simmons but if they clear cap within the next two years they could start a build of a serious team if they get lucky with the draft. I'd argue that's as likely to get you a title as simmons

Another poster mentioned this but I didn’t think owners/gms at that level are allowing decisions to be driven in that way.

I’d be fearful of a deal with Morey/Ainge to some extent but that’s because they’re excellent.

To pull the plug because of a contentious relationship seems incredible.

I’d be quick to dismiss if it was a GM pulling the plug but given it was the owner, he has nobody to answer to so his decision can be emotive & risk free in many respects.

Difficult to see how this Mavs team can work their way into homecourt in the West.

Unless that was to occur, Luka won’t really be in the mix for MVP but currently he sits as the fav

Rare enough that you’re almost 20% through the season and so many guys have a legitimate chance of contending for MVP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Lebron and KD the clear value in the MVP betting imo. Can't see Giannis getting it again due to voter fatigue and the Warriors aren't good enough for Curry to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Morrison J wrote: »
    Lebron and KD the clear value in the MVP betting imo. Can't see Giannis getting it again due to voter fatigue and the Warriors aren't good enough for Curry to win it.

I would agree on LeBron and KD, I'd make them favourites also. Joel Embiid is having an amazing season also, and the 76ers will be top 3 or 4 in the East so he could well be in the mix also. I would not rule out Luka at all, there is precedent with Russell Westbrook winning it when he was on OKC and they were like a 7th or 8th seed. For that reason I would also not rule out Steph.

Harden as an outside bet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I would agree on LeBron and KD, I'd make them favourites also. Joel Embiid is having an amazing season also, and the 76ers will be top 3 or 4 in the East so he could well be in the mix also. I would not rule out Luka at all, there is precedent with Russell Westbrook winning it when he was on OKC and they were like a 7th or 8th seed. For that reason I would also not rule out Steph.

There's always a narrative around the winner though and with Westbrook it was that ridiculous narrative around him averaging a triple double. Harden got robbed of the MPV that year really. I don't think we'll see that mistake made again for a long time so I struggle to see it with Curry. Embiid has a shot but he's got to prove he can stay healthy first and I'm not convinced he'll be a sexy pick for voters. With Durant coming back from injury and LeBron long over due another MVP I think those are the likely narratives that win out to the voters.

I've backed Durant @ 13/1 and LeBron @ 12/1 anyway so I'm hoping my theories hold up!

• Advertisement

Most journalists (voters) think Harden has behaved appallingly. He quit on his team and then dissed them publicly before being traded - cardinal sins in American sports. He has zero chance of winning regardless of what he does on the court. He’ll get votes sure, but win it? Not a chance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement