Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festive 500

Options
  • 23-12-2020 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭

Who is doing it?

Indoor miles count this year although I think 500km on a turbo is more difficult than in the rain but does give you the option

On my side I'm still on the fence. I've had a great year cycling but my last long ride was on Black Friday. Have struggled for motivation in December, missing group rides so just took a bit of a break. Weather near me is miserable too, rain most days and temperatures between 2 and 6 degrees.

But what else would you be doing? I'll decide during the course of today as would need to get a good head start tomorrow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I'm signed up but given that we have to stay within our county and Coffee shops will be closed...its not as appealing this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

Indoor! Does it really count?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

I’ve signed up, and planning a 100km spin tomorrow to kick it off, but it’s gonna be a big challenge for me to complete it! I’ll complete my 2020 distance goal tomorrow (5k km), but would be nice to complete this also.

Indoor! Does it really count?

Sure does..
    "If you are located in an area that does not allow outdoor activity, you may not participate except by means of virtual or indoor activity (i.e., Trainer rides, Zwift, etc.). Please see our blog with information about exercising during a pandemic."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

The forecast looks alright tomorrow, going to get out for a 60 to 70k spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

What is it again? 500km from eve to eve?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Yes, or six 84k rides and two rest days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Going by the forecast, tomorrow could be a good opportunity to front load a decent chunk of it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Signed up, made a plan then had surgery.

Plans aborted so it's Festive 5000 cals for me instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

Yes, or six 84k rides and two rest days

no rest for the wicked.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

dahat wrote: »
    Signed up, made a plan then had surgery.

Plans aborted so it's Festive 5000 cals for me instead.

You can do it!! ......:).

Speedy recovery though.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

Yes signed up myself for this, it will be the first time doing it and the the first time trying some decent mileage in December

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Sure does..
    "If you are located in an area that does not allow outdoor activity, you may not participate except by means of virtual or indoor activity (i.e., Trainer rides, Zwift, etc.). Please see our blog with information about exercising during a pandemic."

But does it really??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Both of us in the house have signed up for it, but we have an 11 year old. I did it last year so it's only fair that he gets first dibs on it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I sign up for it each year but, due to work commitments, I've only finished it once as far as I can recall. I've five 13 hour shifts to work during those 8 days so it's not looking good this year either. :(

But does it really??

Well IMO it should be a “Real World” 500k Challenge. TBH I think doing it on Zwift would be harder as it’s too easy to simply climb off the bike. Whereas in the rear world, if your 50k from home, you’ve no option but to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm in for this year again, kicking it off in the morning, we'll see how things go after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Going to give it a bash this year myself, hopefully take a decent chunk off tomorrow.

Mix of turbo and outdoors for me with work commitments depriving me of daylight hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just back from a 60 km now. Had all intentions of pushing for 80 to kick it off but the legs were leaden and I took a detour back. Contemplating doing another 60 km early tomorrow morning and then put the feet up for the day.
    Happy Christmas to one and all and safe cycling for 2021.

Decided to do a 100 today to start this challenge, glad I did but didn't enjoy the return due to the wind
    Doubt I'll do the same tomorrow, I'll see how I feel in the morning and if the weather is a bit better

https://www.strava.com/activities/4512391654

• Advertisement

Managed 90k today but damn it was cold! I didn’t start till 12:30 and I was heading North from Kilcoole in Wicklow. A headwind nearly all the way!

I might get out for a few k in the morning, or maybe not as I’ve my feet up and a beer in my hand! Happy Christmas everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭secman

Be careful in the morning, best sticking to main roads, a buddy of mine had a spill on a side road this morning and has a fractured arm, spent the day in A&E.
    I've bailed out, did it 2 years ago, a tough ask in the Northern hemisphere for sure. Rapha should run one in June to give those southern hemisphere a dose of what its like to do it in winter elements and 7 hours of daylight ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

yep signed up and it lands in exactly on my yearly target too so extra motivation to get it done. Hope the weather let's us get most of it done out doors.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

I'm in, starting tomorrow. God help me.

Knocked out 133km today. Didn't get going till 11 but what a day, said I'd keep going as the weather was so nice

63 Km for me today, not as bad weather wise as yesterday which was a bonus
    Really enjoyed the quite roads today compared to yesterday, pity it couldn't be like this more often

https://www.strava.com/activities/4515525557

Happy Christmas everybody, hope you all have a good one

Was not looking forward to today with the yellow wind warning but wasn't that bad at all
    But unfortunately had little or no NRG in the legs for some unknown reason so unable to make the most of the tailwinds
    Anyhow knocked another 68Km off the 500 leaving 268Km for five remaining days

https://www.strava.com/activities/4519152902

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

150km done and plan to do 100km tomorrow on zwift cos of the weather so that will leave me 250 to do in 4 days on the road :)

Seems to have turned out quite nice now but early on this morning I felt it was to cold to venture out on the road
    So I decided to wimp out and do a 50Km spin on the Wahoo and collect the Garmin badge and the 2 points for indoor training
    Hopefully tomorrow is a bit better weather wise but I've a feeling I might be finishing this challenge on the Wahoo
    So 218 km left with four days to go

https://www.strava.com/activities/4524174092

• Advertisement

248k done. Hope to get 100+k done tomorrow, 50k on the 29th and finish it on the 30th. That's the plan...but it doesn't take into account the few beers I'll have this evening! :)

Advertisement