Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festive 500

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭nilhg

330km in the bag, today's 79km was hard earned, wasn't expecting the rain till after 11 but met it at about 10.30, it seemed to stay over us after that all the way home, at least we had a side/tail wind for most of the wet bit.

Hope to knock another bit off tomorrow and finish it out Wednesday or Thursday depending on the weather

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

A 68 Km for me today, luckily the rain only started in the last Km for me
    Cold, windy and dead legs made it a chore so thankful the rain didn't effect my spin
    150 Km left to do but with the cold and the fact I'm not enjoying the rides, I'm beginning to question the wisdom of this challenge

https://www.strava.com/activities/4528841235

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Nothing festive about this 500. 65k of freezing rain and hailstones in Clare yesterday and back in Dublin this morning for a another teeth chattering sopping wet shivering 93km.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

75k today, which brings me to 323klm. 25k short of where I wanted to be today, but with 3 days remaining, it's very doable. I'm working tomorrow so I'll do well to get 50k done. Hopefully the weather on Wednesday is good and I'll get a 100k+ Spin done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

#raphaunderpressure ain't panning out as planned, 310km to go and the week ahead looks icy ......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

342kms in
    Legs a bit sore and nothing done today yet (looking at turbo)
    70kms Christmas eve
    69 Christmas day
    100kms Stephens day
    100+ yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭De Bhál

23 done

Young kids, wine and cheese etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Alexzont

fat bloke wrote: »
    Nothing festive about this 500. 65k of freezing rain and hailstones in Clare yesterday and back in Dublin this morning for a another teeth chattering sopping wet shivering 93km.

It's a real chore this year, isn't it? Have all the time in the world to knock out the miles but the thought of doing more than 2 hours in that weather makes it a real struggle.

Up around Howth today anyway in fairly miserable conditions. Tailwind never really got going, 62km in just over 2 hours. Saw a few club mates which brightened things up. 382/500, but rest might be on Zwift...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Some mighty distances lads.

I’m happy out to do 30 odd km in the park given the lashing rain and 0 degrees temperature

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭secman

Well done lads, 3 days to finish it, that distance over 8 days in winter is definitely a chore, but you're all on course and can tick it off the bucket list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Finished mine today, some few days of hard riding but didn't come across any frost. Good luck all🤘

Turned out lovely day today. 111k in the bank, leaving me a leisurely 85 to cover over the next 2 days. Easy Peasy. Should take make hay while the sun shines and head back out now for 3 hours! :)

What a day that turned out to be, 97Km for me had only planned on doing 75 but it was to nice not to make my final ride an easy one (hopefully)
    It was also the first ride of this challenge where my legs felt somewhat normal, so looking forward to tomorrows spin

https://www.strava.com/activities/4533915235

123k remaining. I was working from home today and it was frustrating looking out the window at all the cyclists passing by! I managed to get 50k done after work.....most of it in the dark! :mad:

Weather forecast looks good for tomorrow, so fingers crossed, I get it done tomorrow.

90km to go, yesterday's stint in the cold rain left it's mark, today's 80km felt like a bit of a slog at times, we'll see how tomorrow goes, if the roads are OK reasonably early I might get it done if not a nice handy spin to finish it on Thursday wouldn't be the end of the world.

That for me was the coldest ride of this challenge, very glad that I only had 54 Km today to finish
    Think I'll spend the next few days on the Wahoo till the weather improves slightly

https://www.strava.com/activities/4538541637

Most of the times when I meet another rider when I'm out, the point is usually made about how lucky we are in Dublin to be able to escape the city and head to the hills and Wicklow
    Anyhow was on YT the other day and came across this vid and a few others featuring Laura in New York as I went down a rabbit hole
    So yes the weather may be cold now, the roads are in bits and there are some drivers that need to learn the rules of the road but at least we can escape the city

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LhnqK_qzs0

Congratulations to everybody who has/will complete the challenge and well done to those who tried

Happy New Year everybody, lets hope 2021 is better than 2020

A swift 100k for me today, 86 of which had me over the line. Was cold up the gap, bit of a freezing fog thing going on so I turned around before the top and went back for lower lands. Wasn't so bad at all then. Cold but dry. Lots of impatient drivers about and lots of silly overtaking when there was no need for it - red lights ahead or driver turning left or right immediately after, that kind of thing. Anyway. Festive obligations over, and actually festive everything over. Stood on the scales today and deserve a slap in the face for what I've done to myself. :(

Needed 123k, but miscalculated and did 132k instead! :). It was cold out there today and lots of traffic about (where's everyone going?). 12600 for the year, so I think I'll take tomorrow off! Happy new Year everyone and let's hope 2021 is better than 2020!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

In previous in previous years you could see distance other people did in the app. Doesn’t seem to be available this year?

41.5KM today in a spin where my mate had mechanical issues, we got home by the skin of his teeth but by the time we did the clock was against me, 48KM to do tomorrow, on my own in my 5km zone by the looks of it.

This one has been the hardest of the last 5 years, everything that could go wrong seems to have, so I'll be happy enough to see the last of it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

42Km needed tmrw, not looking good weather wise..:(, i'll stick close to home in the 5Km ....if i head out...wish i had a turbo or rollers now..

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Finished it out today with a final 55km nice to have a day spare was a chore this year with that bloody miserable weather unlike last year which was balmy for the 8 days any swore it's the last time I'm doing it🥴

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delynet

Finished it today with a 28km spin. The highlight of the 8 days for me was a 103km gravel spin yesterday. Not an ideal way to chalk up miles but it was safer due to the ice on the roads.

Done and dusted this morning, with the forecast of icy roads and rain arriving by lunchtime we decided to head over to the windfarm at Mt Lucas and use the gravel access roads for safety, a chilly 4 laps gave us 52km, enough to get the job done.

Rain/sleet started just as we got back to the cars.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Turbo'ed 56kms to finish it off today.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Consey

512k done. All on Zwift. Does that really count 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Finished it off with 40km on the turbo this morning. Had planned on an outdoor spin but wimped out when i saw the weather.

Eventful enough 389KM on the road, 112km on the turbo, 2 punctures, a dead Garmin costing me about 20k and surpassing my annual distance goal with one day to spare.

Advertisement