Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Ulster Scots a language?

Options
  • 23-12-2020 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭

pzvqodqle8a41.jpg

Now, I don't know about anyone else and maybe I'm seeing things but look at that. I mean at least Irish has the characteristics of a distinct language. The Ulster Scots part looks like a distortion of English?

I'm open to persuasion.

Is it a distinct "language" worthy of the investment or an odd attempt to engineer differences from "the natives" by some unionists?

It looks, at best, like a dialect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

It's no more a language than Scouse or Geordie.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

"A language is a dialect with an army and a navy."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_language_is_a_dialect_with_an_army_and_navy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It's no more a language than Scouse or Geordie.

ah well it is , its not on a par with irish however , its some sort of variation of scots gaelic ?

certainly more of a language than the language travellers claim to speak

It looks like Jamaican patwah.

Every tin gon' be eyrie mon......

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

Absolutely not. It only became a language when the Good Friday Agreement was signed. Suddenly Unionism had a culture which wasn't replica English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    ah well it is , its not on a par with irish however , its some sort of variation of scots gaelic ?

certainly more of a language than the language travellers claim to speak

Scots and Ulster Scots aren't related to Scots Gaelic at all (actually, there's no such thing as "Scots Gaelic", it's "Scottish Gaelic"). Scots is a Germanic language, very closely related to English. You can see that quite clearly from the sign in the OP. So "Scots" and "Scottish Gaelic" are two completely different languages, as far apart from each other as English and Irish. But Scots is related to English just as Scots Gaelic is related to Irish. Ulster Scots is the version of Scots spoken in Northern Ireland. Contrary to popular belief here on Boards, it was not magically made up after the GFA. Scots has been recognised as distinct for about 500 years. It is, however, true that Ulster (and Scotish) Unionists didn't care very much about it until very recent times, so its use as a political football is indeed recent and could be argued to be somewhat contrived.

The whole business of whether Scots and Ulster Scots are languages in their own right, dialects of English or just English spoken with a strong Ulster/Scottish accent is entirely wrapped up in politics. Truth is, accents, dialects and languages are just part of a continuum in how languages form, change and evolve, and there's always gong to be grey areas between them.

As for Shelta (the Irish Traveller language), here's the first few lines of the Our Father:

Our gathra, who cradgies in the manyak-norch,
    We turry kerrath about your moniker.
    Let's turry to the norch where your jeel cradgies,
    And let your jeel shans get greydied nosher same as it is where you cradgie

You may scoff at it, but it's very clearly not something that an English speaker will understand, and it's very much more than just English spoken with a Traveller accent, as it has a large lexicon of it's own words (although the grammar is basically the same as English). As to whether that makes it a dialect of English or a language is again a political matter.

It should be noted that even though the likes of Danish, Swedish and Norwegian are all mostly mutually intelligible, it's not controversial that they're regarded as separate languages. The classification (or not) of languages is mostly political.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Its bollocks but it helps keep the children playing nice together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Nope. A made up dialect that somehow gets funding to be promoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

It’s an embarrassing made up pile of ****e.

KKKulture at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

:D No.

Load of oul rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Fritzbox

How often was the Ulster-Scots language debated or raised as a topic in the 1921-1972 Stormont Government?

How often was the Ulster-Scots language mentioned in the Belfast Telegraph before the mid-1990s?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

is't fook

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

who cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

The people promoting Ulster Scotch are the same ones who object to the use of Irish, sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,262 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Thaars jooce loose aboot this hoose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

No , don't think it's a language.
    More a dialect spelt phonecticly.
    It's all about getting grant money and cultural status.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

cj maxx wrote: »
    No , don't think it's a language.
    More a dialect spelt phonecticly.
    It's all about getting grant money and cultural status.

It's so that themmuns don't get something usuns don't get.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

It was made up as a language as a tit for tap approach by Unionists in the Peace Process negotiations. They couldnt be seen to give the Nationalists something without getting a bit of the cake themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Leaving aside Ulster Scots for one moment, some of the accents up there are so strong as to make English unrecognisable, then again maybe I've heard them speaking Ulster Scots & I thought it was some kind of Highland bastardised English :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

It's a total nonsense, redundant pandering to keep a certain section of society in the 6 Counties happy.

May as well have Geordie or Scouse as a distinct language in the North of England then so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,876 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

bocaman wrote: »
    The people promoting Ulster Scotch are the same ones who object to the use of Irish, sickening.

It's nonsense being used to take funding from the Irish language.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Yeah, right, I mean we can't have that sort of carry-on now can we :rolleyes:

Both sides playing the other with the language card, both sides claiming cultural superiority over the other. Irish must have all the funding because it's the only genuine 'niche' language, isn't it? when in actual fact hardly anybody speaks it up there anyway ... never mind down here.

Ulster Scots & the Irish language have both been weaponised by both tribes in a never ending battle for the heart & soul of Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I want to see Ulster - Scot signage added to every sign post on this Island. I giggle a little everytime I see it and I suspect the P.U.L. community do too! Anything that makes us all smile a little more is okay with me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yeah, right, I mean we can't have that sort of carry-on now can we :rolleyes:

Both sides playing the other with the language card, both sides claiming cultural superiority over the other. Irish must have all the funding because it's the only genuine 'niche' language, isn't it? when in actual fact hardly anybody speaks it up there anyway ... never mind down here.

Ulster Scots & the Irish language have both been weaponised by both tribes in a never ending battle for the heart & soul of Northern Ireland.

Well Irish is the only genuine language

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's a total nonsense, redundant pandering to keep a certain section of society in the 6 Counties happy.

May as well have Geordie or Scouse as a distinct language in the North of England then so.

It's not even pandering, it's simply spite.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Well Irish is the only genuine language

Well given that gaidhlig has a very close link to gaelic, and that many of the original planters may have spoken it or were at least a couple generations removed from their ancestors who spoke it, you'd expect some kind of recognition of gaidhlig. The emphasis of Ulster Scotss seems to be back projecting modern tribalism to me.

An interesting video on Scots English.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X5zX3yVoiQ

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/about-the-assembly/general-information/information-leaflets/ulster-scots/
    Wirkan for yo

Wantan tae find out mair anent the Norlin Airlan Assemblie?

Pey a veesit tae the wabsteid on
    www.niassembly.gov.uk
    Caa or email wi onie speirs
    See the Assemblie in plenarie session on Monandey or Tuesdey
    Gae tae a comatee forgaither in the Pairlament Biggins or in yer hamelie airt
    Get ahauld o yer LMF for tae speir efter a tour o the biggin
    Pey a veesit tae the Pairlament Biggins (Monandey til Frydey) for tae tak a keek at the Graund Haa an giftie shop

In English in case you can't read the above out phonetically.

Working for You

Interested in finding out more about the Northern Ireland Assembly?

Visit the website on
    www.niassembly.gov.uk
    Call or email with any queries
    See the Assembly in plenary session on Monday or Tuesday
    Attend a committee meeting in Parliament Buildings or in your local area
    Contact your MLA to request a tour of the building
    Visit Parliament Buildings (Monday to Friday) to view the Great Hall and gift shop

And As gaeilge

ag obair ar do shons

Má bhíonn tú ag iarraidh níos mó eolais a fháil amach faoi Thionól Thuaisceart Éireann?

Gabh isteach an láithreán gréasáin
    www.niassembly.gov.uk
    Cuir scairt orainn nó cuir ríomhphoist chugainn le do chuid ceisteanna
    Amharc ar sheisiún iomlánach an Tionóil Dé Luain nó Dé Máirt
    Tabhair cuairt ar chruinniú coiste sna Foirgnimh Pharlaiminte nó i do cheantar áitiúil féin
    Gabh i dteagmháil le do CTR féin le turas ar an fhoirgneamh a shocrú
    Tabhair cuairt ar Fhoirgnimh na Parlaiminte (Luan go hAoine) leis an Halla Mór agus an siopa féiríní a fheiceáil

NB. the giftie shop is closed for the duration

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

More similar to cockney slang if you ask me. Or cling on. A funny language that makes me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Imagine something said in a strong inner city Dublin accent...

Write it out phonetically...

"Aw he-orr lea-av ih ow" (or similar)

Claim it's a language...

Profit?

That's basically the game they're playing up North, of course there's a long and storied history up there of providing grants and funding to questionable groups, organisations, projects and people just to keep the associated 'community activists' quiet and out of trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭trashcan

http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/about-the-assembly/general-information/information-leaflets/ulster-scots/

In English in case you can't read the above out phonetically.

Working for You

Interested in finding out more about the Northern Ireland Assembly?

Visit the website on
    www.niassembly.gov.uk
    Call or email with any queries
    See the Assembly in plenary session on Monday or Tuesday
    Attend a committee meeting in Parliament Buildings or in your local area
    Contact your MLA to request a tour of the building
    Visit Parliament Buildings (Monday to Friday) to view the Great Hall and gift shop

And As gaeilge

ag obair ar do shons

Má bhíonn tú ag iarraidh níos mó eolais a fháil amach faoi Thionól Thuaisceart Éireann?

Gabh isteach an láithreán gréasáin
    www.niassembly.gov.uk
    Cuir scairt orainn nó cuir ríomhphoist chugainn le do chuid ceisteanna
    Amharc ar sheisiún iomlánach an Tionóil Dé Luain nó Dé Máirt
    Tabhair cuairt ar chruinniú coiste sna Foirgnimh Pharlaiminte nó i do cheantar áitiúil féin
    Gabh i dteagmháil le do CTR féin le turas ar an fhoirgneamh a shocrú
    Tabhair cuairt ar Fhoirgnimh na Parlaiminte (Luan go hAoine) leis an Halla Mór agus an siopa féiríní a fheiceáil

NB. the giftie shop is closed for the duration

That sums up th difference between the two quite succinctly I think. A native English speaker would have no trouble getting the general gist of the Ulster Scots notice, whereas the Irish one, you genuinely would not have a clue.

Advertisement