If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV and soundbar purchase

Options
  • 23-12-2020 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

Hi I am looking to upgrade from my 10 year old 37" Bravia. I am looking at 48-55" TVs. I have narrowed my choices down to 
    1) Philips 50/55PUS7805 (you don't carry the 8000 series?)
    2) HiSense 55AE7400/55U7Q

or a step up to either

3) Sony KD55XH9505BU (or 49)
    4) LG 55BX or CX

Sorry lots of choices. The TV will be used mostly for Netflix/Sky Q/DVDs and a bit of XBox but nothing requiring great contrast of fast pixel times. Thinking of pairing this with a YAS207 soundbar. I need at least 3 HDMI ports and WiFi. Netflix and AppleTV support would be a plus as would being able to stream from a Mac or Windows laptop.

My questions are:
    1) Is the CX worth the premium over the BX?
    2) What do you think of the Sony LED vs the LG OLED lines.
    3) The HiSense and Philips are half the price. Would I notice the difference?
    4) Is the soundbar a good match? My current TV pipes the audio via a 3.5mm jack to my old Marantz Amplifier and front channel speakers. Would it be possible to add the soundbar plus subwoofer to the mix or will they be one or the other?

And finally, if I order today would this be delivered before the new year - worried about a no deal Brexit resulting in duties.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

garo wrote: »
    Hi I am looking to upgrade from my 10 year old 37" Bravia. I am looking at 48-55" TVs. I have narrowed my choices down to 
    1) Philips 50/55PUS7805 (you don't carry the 8000 series?)
    2) HiSense 55AE7400/55U7Q

or a step up to either

3) Sony KD55XH9505BU (or 49)
    4) LG 55BX or CX

Sorry lots of choices. The TV will be used mostly for Netflix/Sky Q/DVDs and a bit of XBox but nothing requiring great contrast of fast pixel times. Thinking of pairing this with a YAS207 soundbar. I need at least 3 HDMI ports and WiFi. Netflix and AppleTV support would be a plus as would being able to stream from a Mac or Windows laptop.

My questions are:
    1) Is the CX worth the premium over the BX?
    2) What do you think of the Sony LED vs the LG OLED lines.
    3) The HiSense and Philips are half the price. Would I notice the difference?
    4) Is the soundbar a good match? My current TV pipes the audio via a 3.5mm jack to my old Marantz Amplifier and front channel speakers. Would it be possible to add the soundbar plus subwoofer to the mix or will they be one or the other?

And finally, if I order today would this be delivered before the new year - worried about a no deal Brexit resulting in duties.
    Hi Garo.

Thanks for the post.

Some nice televisions listed there :)

The LG OLED would be the best of the list and have an outstanding image.
    Between the BX and CX the CX uses a better processor and all its HDMI ports are HDMI 2.1.
    The CX is however currently out of stock and we are chasing more directly with LG.

The Sony 9505 series are probably the best LED on the market and produce an excellent image. 
    All the above would be 100/120Hz panels.

When you go down to the Philips or the Hisense you go down to 50Hz.
    You would notice a massive between these and the higher Sony or LG OLED.

A soundbar would be a good addition and add more depth than your current 2 channel setup.
    Something like the award winning Yamaha YAS207 priced at £299 this also includes a wireless subwoofer
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-202832-yamaha-yas207-soundbar-system.aspx

If you wanted one that can produce a Dolby Atmos effect then LG have the SL8YG priced at £449
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204267-lg-sl8yg-3-1-2-ch-high-res-audio-soundbar-with-dolby-atmos-and-google-assistant.aspx

You could not run this along with your Marnatz. So it would need to be one or the other unfortunately.

If ordered today it would not arrive until the New Year due to our couriers holidays.
    (There is a slim chance it could arrive between Christmas and News years but no guarantee).

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm sure you have been asked this before but if stuff ships after the New Year would that fall afoul of new customs restrictions? I may want to wait a bit then until the situation becomes clearer.

I agree there is a big gap in quality between the HiSense/Philips and LG/Sony which is reflected in the price difference. I am trying to figure out if I really need what more than 2x the price offers.

I'm not super fussed about BX vs CX. I think two 2.1 HDMI ports (and two 1.0) are enough for me. So if the CX is out of stock I will go with the BX.

Also looking at this here: https://www.richersounds.ie/p-13606-sonos-beam-black-clearance-compact-smart-soundbar-with-amazon-alexa-voice-control.aspx but I think the YAS is better for the price. Not sure if I want to stretch to the LG soundbar. Let me check out some reviews. I'm tempted then to go for a full HT setup - but that requires more research :)

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm sure you have been asked this before but if stuff ships after the New Year would that fall afoul of new customs restrictions? I may want to wait a bit then until the situation becomes clearer.

I agree there is a big gap in quality between the HiSense/Philips and LG/Sony which is reflected in the price difference. I am trying to figure out if I really need what more than 2x the price offers.

I'm not super fussed about BX vs CX. I think two 2.1 HDMI ports (and two 1.0) are enough for me. So if the CX is out of stock I will go with the BX.

Also looking at this here: https://www.richersounds.ie/p-13606-sonos-beam-black-clearance-compact-smart-soundbar-with-amazon-alexa-voice-control.aspx but I think the YAS is better for the price. Not sure if I want to stretch to the LG soundbar. Let me check out some reviews. I'm tempted then to go for a full HT setup - but that requires more research :)
    Hey Garo.

As far as I'm aware there will be no customs to pay as we have been working very hard behind the scenes to ensure our customers in the South Or Ireland still get our great prices.
    Our 6 year guarantee will also not be affected.

The Sonos Beam is a great product and its apps is easy to use.
    You do get the added bonus of the sub with the Yamaha and it still holds its own against the Beam in terms of sound quality.

Let me know what you think after you have done a bit more research.

Any questions as always please drop us a post.

Thanks Kenny. Will do. Can I send a DM?

Thanks Kenny. Will do. Can I send a DM?
    Hi Garo.

Yes, please drop me a PM and we can get you sorted.

• Advertisement

Hi Kenny, I sent a PM Sunday evening. You may have missed it or been on holiday so just checking with you.

Hi Kenny, I sent a PM Sunday evening. You may have missed it or been on holiday so just checking with you.
    Hi Garo.

I was off for a few days there.

I'll revert back to the PM first thing in the morning.

Hi Kenny, appreciate you've been busy but could you PM me or call me? Would like to order today if possible. Thanks.

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi Kenny, appreciate you've been busy but could you PM me or call me? Would like to order today if possible. Thanks.
    Hi garo,

Kenny is off today but I'll try to get back to you this afternoon or tomorrow when we're back in store!

Kind regards

David

Thanks David. PMing you my phone number.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Thanks David. PMing you my phone number.
    Thanks Garo, we are wrapping up for the day but I'll do my best.

Hi Guys any update on this? I'm going to have to with a local retailer if I can't get the order in today.

Hi Guys any update on this? I'm going to have to with a local retailer if I can't get the order in today.
    Hi Garo.

Apologies for the delay.

The last PM I have from yourself is this "Oh and the room is 4m by 5.5m. Would my choices be suitable?"

If you can PM me your contact number I can get you sorted ASAP.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.