Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU gun laws, Discuss.

Options
  • 23-12-2020 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭

Here is a place to discuss what you like or don't
    And all the inbetweeners.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The whole bloody lot of them! ...End of thread!:D:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The EU should be a trade organisation/co-operative and that's it.

They shouldn't be setting firearms legislation in Member States.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

I think every EU state should be the same in terms what firearms can an individual own/pose for the purpose of what they require it for hunting, target etc as well as ammo Limits not like we have here where one person can get 750 Rds for game shooting and another person doesn’t bcos of an individual signing of on a form or etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

BattleCorp wrote: »
    The EU should be a trade organisation/co-operative and that's it.

They shouldn't be setting firearms legislation in Member States.

The EU was setting firearms legislation for NON-member states. Namely Switzerland. "If you don't tighten your laws, no more schengen and no more access to the single market.

Nasty, meddlesome, technocratic, statist, authoritarian, micromanaging, incompetent, self-serving, unaccountable,anti-freedom bunch of office-bound beuracrats that are slowly strangling Europas gun owners in insidious legislation that creeps all over us like ivy and serves no purpose, other than to destroy what supports it.:mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

ace86 wrote: »
    I think every EU state should be the same in terms what firearms can an individual own/pose for the purpose of what they require it for hunting, target etc as well as ammo Limits not like we have here where one person can get 750 Rds for game shooting and another person doesn’t bcos of an individual signing of on a form or etc.

Knowing our luck,that bunch of petit dictators would pick the UK/IRL as an example for the entire union.As tried by that insufferable Sir Peter King,and Gordon Brown and Thresa May, then a mere Home secretary after the Paris massacres.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mopro80

Not sure why anyone here is complaining about EU gun laws. Irish law goes way beyond what would be required based on EU laws. In Germany, I'd have a realistic pathway to owning a centerfire pistol and semi-auto rifle, unlike in this country.

mopro80 wrote: »
    Not sure why anyone here is complaining about EU gun laws. Irish law goes way beyond what would be required based on EU laws. In Germany, I'd have a realistic pathway to owning a centerfire pistol and semi-auto rifle, unlike in this country.

Because we are getting it from both sides, the eu on one side and then our own bunch of clowns on the other.

Yes,with a Hell of a lot more paperwork, testing, exams,cost,club joining, being on probate until some club fudd thinks you can advance to a CF rifle and handgun and signs off on you. Meantime German police and secret service is checking out your social media posting to see if you are a Reich burger,a Neo-nazi a prepper or belong to some sort of biker gang or liked the wrong kind of FB posts. And dont get me started on wanting your hunting liscense...
    [Of course, if you are ANTIFA or from the religion of peace, they'll ignore you totally.] Oh and have you diddled your taxes,had a DUI,or a messy divorce recently?No gun lic for you mucker! You are untrustworthy to own a firearm in the eyes of the German state!

Truth be told,we have it DEAD EASY in Ireland to aquire firearms compared to the rest of the EU.Just our selection of what we can own isnt great...
    But I'd rather have the Irish system anyday.

In Germany, I'd have a realistic pathway to owning a centerfire pistol and semi-auto rifle, unlike in this country.

Centrefire pistols are out, that's true, but it's not that difficult to get semi-auto centrefire rifle here. If you have a valid reason (target shooting), and are not of 'intemperate habits', you can get semi-auto rifles here.

Fair enough, there is the threat that the authorities would like to get rid of them but they are still being licenced.

• Advertisement

Centrefire pistols are out, that's true, but it's not that difficult to get semi-auto centrefire rifle here. If you have a valid reason (target shooting), and are not of 'intemperate habits', you can get semi-auto rifles here.

Fair enough, there is the threat that the authorities would like to get rid of them but they are still being licenced.

As someone who had the trap spring on him with the centrefire pistols, its a threat i would take seriously, especially with the lot we have in government now.

^THIS^

tudderone wrote: »
    As someone who had the trap spring on him with the centrefire pistols, its a threat i would take seriously, especially with the lot we have in government now.
    Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    ^THIS^

The Government could ban all guns if they wanted seeing as we don't have a 2A style thing in our Constitution. Although that wouldn't help us much if the EU decided to ban them as EU legislation has supremacy over the Irish Constitution.

Anyway, back on track. I'll worry about it if that day ever comes, but in the meantime, I'll enjoy shooting my semi-auto centrefire rifles.

The Government could ban all guns if they wanted seeing as we don't have a 2A style thing in our Constitution. Although that wouldn't help us much if the EU decided to ban them as EU legislation has supremacy over the Irish Constitution.

Anyway, back on track. I'll worry about it if that day ever comes, but in the meantime, I'll enjoy shooting my semi-auto centrefire rifles.

Ask the Mexicans, Cubans, pre-Castro and to a more or less extent the UK and Switzerland about having a 2A type constitutional right in their constitutions. The difference between those countries and the US,is the US will start more than likely shooting Govt officials and Federal goons trying to enforce this in the US, and with the sheer numbers of guns, ammo and people, Win as well. IOW there is a different mindset in the US to all these other countries that have been slowly stripped of their ownership rights over a period of time, or by revolutionary movements in Cuba and Mexicos case.

It won't come to the EUSSR or the USA overnight. The Eu is too woke to the fact now, and the US is too dangerous to try it outright, which Mr Biden will find out if he tries it. It will happen piecemeal like in the UK over the last century. This time 100 years ago they were introducing the firearm cert for handguns.... today...:rolleyes:

So yes, enjoy your guns, but always keep an eye on the radar of the EU and our own Govt and our own people. That is the price of Liberty, eternal vigilance as a Dublin Mayor John Philpot Curran in his speech upon his election as Lord Mayor of Dublin1770: "The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance." Which Mr T Jefferson swiped a few years later in the colonies.:)

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    It won't come to the EUSSR or the USA overnight. The Eu is too woke to the fact now, and the US is too dangerous to try it outright, which Mr Biden will find out if he tries it.

I was watching this last night. When trump was elected the cry was "the russians did it, they interfered with the election", which was proven to be false. Now they have a president elect who has a son up to his oxters in trouble and not a word in the American or European media about it. I think Biden will try to nibble away at gun rights over there, but Harris is the real danger, when she gets her backside behind the desk in the oval office, there will be big trouble.

Advertisement