Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charge car battery

• 23-12-2020 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭

Quick question

I have to charge the battery in my wife's car as its ran flat. Picked up a charger today but am wondering if I need to remove the battery to charge it. Have been told both that its fine to charge in situ, and that I need to remove it or I'll damage the alternator. I know next to nothing about cars

Car is a 2010 Peugeot 5008 1.6 tdi

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

coco0981 wrote: »
    Quick question

I have to charge the battery in my wife's car as its ran flat. Picked up a charger today but am wondering if I need to remove the battery to charge it. Have been told both that its fine to charge in situ, and that I need to remove it or I'll damage the alternator. I know next to nothing about cars

Car is a 2010 Peugeot 5008 1.6 tdi

Thanks

No just run an extension lead from the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

was it parked up for a while or the lights left on? might not be as simple as charging battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭coco0981

Isambard wrote: »
    was it parked up for a while or the lights left on? might not be as simple as charging battery.

Its just used very little (like for 5 minute spins a few times a week) so has a habit of not starting unfortunately. Have needed to get a jump start a few times over the last few months and with the cold weather last week it didn't start one morning. So said I'd get a charger to see if that would help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Leave it in. Makes no difference.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Leave it in. Makes no difference.

Thanks, will do that so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Wayne Leone

Did you have any problems accessing the terminals of the battery in the 5008? I have a 2013 model and I can only see/access the + terminal. Did you have to ground off a part of the car?

Cheers.

Yes there was a specific nut in the car that's meant to be used to ground it. There was a diagram in the manual that showed where it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Wow I am surprised nobody mentioned putting the battery in the oven yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Or keeping a pound of butter in the boot. 🙈🙈🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭JCN12

Or turning the battery upside down. 😂

(Don't do it!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

Or maybe invest in a new battery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You can put a battery hen in the oven, but broil it.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement