Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gas Boiler, flame is out.

• 23-12-2020 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

So, was getting rid of gas fire in the house, so switched off the gas, cut and plugged the old line to the gas fire.

Switched gas back on but Boiler hasn't worked since.
    Tried resetting it. Switched electricity off and on.

Did everything that I've done before to restart it to no avail.

The numbers/letters coming up on the display are saying no flame.

As I said, have reset it etc which should work but just not getting the flame going.

Any suggestions?

Or do I need to bite the bullet and get a professional out to sort it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭gifted

This is going to be interesting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

Delighted for you. You are not qualified or trained to be interfering with gas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

So, was getting rid of gas fire in the house, so switched off the gas, cut and plugged the old line to the gas fire.

You could go to jail for doing the above unless you are RGI. The RGI doing the annual boiler service would be taken care of this for you safely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You could go to jail for doing the above unless you are RGI. The RGI doing the annual boiler service would be taken care of this for you safely

He could, but that's fairly unlikely tbh. What's not likely is that if there is ever an accident involving gas in the house and an insurance claim is made, there won't be a payout as the work was not done by a registered installer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Get an rgi in for your neighbours sake and your own.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

Thanks folks. Will go the professional route from here on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You could go to jail for doing the above unless you are RGI.

Exceptionally unlikely, let's be honest.

A fair warning to someone who hasn't started work, but equally, strongly discourages someone from seeking professional assistance when they need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

As I said, have reset it etc which should work but just not getting the flame going.

Any suggestions?

As a preliminary matter - the vast majority of work on domestic gas installations in Ireland is restricted, and may only be carried out by a registered gas installer. A person undertaking almost any form of work on a gas installation in a domestic premises is likely to be committing an offence.

So you should engage a registered gas installer for all gas works, however minor.

Regarding your query, it sounds like there is an ignition issue of some description, and addressing this will vary dependent on the individual boiler - so you will need professional assistance on this. It would also be a good opportunity to have the fire removal work reviewed and tested. It may not be in your interests to make admissions that it is in fact your own work! An alternative may be that the boiler is not getting a gas supply due to operation of an under pressure shutoff occurring when you isolated the supply. This would be easily reset if you google it.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Any suggestions?

How do you know that you "plugged" the gas line correctly and didn't have any leakage?
    Did you have the correct equipment and knowledge to carry out a test for leaks?
    Are you comfortable putting your family and property and that of your neighbours at risk?

I have a very good idea what is wrong, and I would bet money I'm right, but I won't be encouraging you or unqualified others to interfere with gas installations.

Yes, bite the bullet and get a Registered Gas Installer out to rectify the issue and be thankful that is all you have to do.
    The RGI will need to check what you have done, you should show them, as they will need to ensure that the closure is done correctly and to standards and test the gas line correctly.
    Your boiler is only a part of your problem now.

Working on gas isn’t rocket science but doing it safely can be the challenging thing, I know of very good gas fitters who have made a silly mistake and caused a KABOOM!!! It’s the fear of mistakes that keep me on my toes, it’s a fear everyone should have before thinking about working on gas and why it’s best left to those who are less likely to turn a home in to something that looks like a carpark full of loose bricks

I’m glad the OP is getting things tested just to be sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement