Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I quit my 9 to 5 job and first month is great.

• 24-12-2020 3:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Anyone else do similar, with the company 8 years. I'm done with the rat race and never going back.

No more performance reviews, No more deadlines, No more pretending to like work colleagues, no more setting the alarm for 8am, no more been constantly tired, no more stuck in traffic(well I was working from home during covid), go to bed when I want, no more putting up with bull **** that I have zeroe interest in, no more pressure.

First month has been great and have enough savings to do me for five years but probably longer.

Now I have time to do what I like. I'm giving myself six months to see what the next step holds for me and decide what I want to do.

Might move to a cheap country for a while. Who knows.

Sold my car for 8k and bought a 1ltr for 800 euro. Will do me the finest.

Fyck you rat race office work never again.

We will see what happens.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

After a nice rest you could open up a shop for left handed items.

The Leftorium, you could call it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Pcgamer

KungPao wrote: »
    After a nice rest you could open up a shop for left handed items.

The Leftorium, you could call it.

Not on your life my Hindu friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Got relegated from the workforce to the non-leagues I see, maybe you'll get back next season when all this has died down.

edit: Your third post with a very dramatic thread and yet not a larp (complete fabrication) and not a troll... seems legit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's great, enjoy it, I think everyone should where possible take at least 2 years out to appreciate life, when you hit retirement age your days are done.

Got relegated from the workforce to the non-leagues I see, maybe you'll get back next season when all this has died down.

edit: Your third post with a very dramatic thread and yet not a larp (complete fabrication) and not a troll... seems legit.

Quit by choice. Might retrain in a trade or setup a business. Office work with high horses not for me.

Anyway I've six months to decide or get a business plan together.

Currently analysing wholesalers in Europe and China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I wish for the day, but anything other than a lotto win would just take too much effort and determination, and I couldn't be arsed for no guarantee. I've managed to get myself into a very comfortable position while still in full time employment, so can't complain as much anymore. I still hate any and all work, but what I'm currently doing is starting to become handy so will do for now.

Enjoy the free time, I did something similar for 3 months and I did exactly what I wanted for those 3 months, not a thing. It was glorious. Do what you like and it won't be wasted time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Pcgamer wrote: »
    Currently analysing wholesalers in Europe and China.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Set up a cult you could, call it the master race you should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Plant up a few south facing window boxes, and that's your grub sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cdemess

Tell us about yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

"Setting the alarm for 8" lol, you must have been wrecked you poor puddin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Haha ,any grown up that has to set the alarm for 8 will be no loss to the workforce !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Here we go again. I've given you three written warnings about turning up late for work. I could forgive anything up to 10 o' clock on a Monday morning. I even told you this!

As I said when I waved you goodbye- " Tuesday is not the start of this company's working week !"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Probably a windup but might be a good thread all the same. 5 years' of living expenses saved is very good but I would want more unless I had a lot of confidence in my skills and in obtaining employment at short notice. Age comes into it too, the older you are the more age discrimination you'll face if trying to get back to work. But once you start getting within striking distance of normal pension age you won't care about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bullocks wrote: »
    Haha ,any grown up that has to set the alarm for 8 will be no loss to the workforce !

"The people who get up not very early in the morning."

Quit by choice. Might retrain in a trade or setup a business. ......

Great to have a plan 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

Go contracting. Get 2 times your old salary and no appraisals, goals, hope for promotion, or rat race. Just work done and then home with the family, leaving the permanent staff there to fight it out. I believe a lot of them love it anyways which is fair enough.

TP_CM wrote: »
    Go contracting. Get 2 times your old salary and no appraisals, goals, hope for promotion, or rat race. Just work done and then home with the family, leaving the permanent staff there to fight it out. I believe a lot of them love it anyways which is fair enough.

That is also an option. A lot of contract work available in my IT field but that's a last resort.

Whys that now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Anyone else do similar, with the company 8 years. I'm done with the rat race and never going back.

No more performance reviews, No more deadlines, No more pretending to like work colleagues, no more setting the alarm for 8am, no more been constantly tired, no more stuck in traffic(well I was working from home during covid), go to bed when I want, no more putting up with bull **** that I have zeroe interest in, no more pressure.

First month has been great and have enough savings to do me for five years but probably longer.

Now I have time to do what I like. I'm giving myself six months to see what the next step holds for me and decide what I want to do.

The devil has work for idle hands

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The devil has work for idle hands

Pulling the balls off myself has picked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Pulling the balls off myself has picked up.

id say you are a seasoned professional in that department

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I am after packing it in myself but the future is daunting so it is. Hopefully my business plan won't leave me like a jack Russel humping a disinterested person's leg looking for custom but I have to find out for sure

If it doesn't work out I'll go woofing in Greenland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

First month is bliss, second month is motivation month, third month is dark depression waking up at 4pm and ordering domino's twice a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Sounds like you have a house and mortgage paid off and savings on top of that. Count yourself lucky. Very few could do what you are doing.

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    Sounds like you have a house and mortgage paid off and savings on top of that. Count yourself lucky. Very few could do what you are doing.

If I had a family to support id still be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭SilverKrest

I done the same a few years ago, didn't have 5 years of living expenses saved however. I went to Thailand for a few months. Needless to say I'm back working now but I have no regrets about getting out for a while

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Afaik the Australian public service has a scheme where members can pay 10% extra superannuation and take every tenth year off paid if they like. They essentially pay an insurance policy themselves. Does a lot for mental health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I too can post sh*te to the internet pcgamer :pac:

All you people believe this? Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Probably a windup but might be a good thread all the same. 5 years' of living expenses saved is very good but I would want more unless I had a lot of confidence in my skills and in obtaining employment at short notice. Age comes into it too, the older you are the more age discrimination you'll face if trying to get back to work. But once you start getting within striking distance of normal pension age you won't care about that.

He must live in his mammy’s and daddy’s. Working 8 years and has enough savings for 5 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

jmlad2020 wrote: »

That must be why I work with people who do nothing but complain yet won't do anything about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Fair play.
    Im doing it the minute covid is over.
    How old are you?

I too can post sh*te to the internet pcgamer :pac:

All you people believe this? Lol.

Whats hard to believe? No skin off my nose if you don't.

Inherited a house, no wife or kids.

I don't need a full time salary or a new car driveway. Have no loans either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Went part time in my mid 40's now two years later its the best decision I've ever made. I now have the time to run a small business from home and my weekly income is more or less the same.

I'll never go back to working 40hrs a week life is too short for that nonsense

He must live in his mammy’s and daddy’s. Working 8 years and has enough savings for 5 years!

No working since 22 and 37 now. I've been with my current company 8 years.

And no, inherited a house.

Just not working bull **** jobs anymore where the best part of the day is taking a dump in a cubicle and looking at your phone.

• Advertisement

youtu.be/SZEo1KFjTn4

Have a listen of this. Might encourage some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Whats hard to believe? No skin off my nose if you don't.

Inherited a house, no wife or kids.

I don't need a full time salary or a new car driveway. Have no loans either.

Yes but see I wasn't born yesterday.
    And you only joined today.... Posting all this.

Bang of crustie of thread TBF

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Set up a cult you could, call it the master race you should.

A cult figure he would be, powerful so he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I did the same in early March but then covid fooked up my plans, so I'm kind of ambivalent about it. Glad to get away from all the stress and bulsh1t but my entrepreneurial endeavors had to be put on hold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

That's what I thought.
    Fifteen years with the alarm going off at 06:00, and I was probably getting it easy compared to some.

I'm sure, as other posters said, the whole thing is bit of a wind-up but I have to say I did do this myself and never looked back. Almost 15 years ago now, summer 2006.

Just to clarify though, my situation was a lot better than most people at the outset. I already owned an inherited property from my parents at that point, so all I had to clear was the regular household bills but no rent and no mortgage. That's an OK luxury to fall back on if things don't pan out for you, but good God I wouldn't be advising anyone else to do it.

:rolleyes:

Typical response of people who are an employee of a company and too afraid or don't know how to make money on their own.

I would bet my house you are an employee?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Typical response of people who are an employee of a company and too afraid or don't know how to make money on their own.

You inherited a house as you say. If you didn’t you wouldn’t be in this fortunate position. So stop making out like you’re some kind of financial genius who’s cleverer than the rest of us who are paying mortgages.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Or they just don't want to be part of the usual workforce? The majority of people go the safe route and go along with each other and that's good. That is a good thing. If that safe 9-5 route is offset by a life you find fulfilling inside and outside that environment and fair play if you find that. But it's not for everyone and many doing that 9-5 cubicle life fly through their lives interrupted by weekends and holidays and then wonder why time flies. It does if you only live maybe 100 days a year and the rest is on a treadmill making way more money for someone else.

Personally my idea of hell, or at least purgatory, is a 9-5 office job and thankfully I avoided it entirely. That's not for everyone either though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

Typical response of someone who doesn't know how to make money on their own?

Says the lad who inherited a house, just quit his 9-5 job, living off savings and needs 6 months to figure out what to do.

Squandering inheritance doesn't make you an entrepreneur.

Kraftwerk wrote: »
    Typical response of someone who doesn't know how to make money on their own?

Says the lad who inherited a house, just quit his 9-5 job, living off savings and needs 6 months to figure out what to do.

Squandering inheritance doesn't make you an entrepreneur.

I'm intelligent enough to make it work. I will succeed where other people are too afraid to do it and not put the effort in. Some people live for approval from their managers and companies making money off them.

Not for me anymore, I've seen the light.

Squandering inheritance? The money i have saved is from the last 15 years of working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Wibbs wrote: »
    Or they just don't want to be part of the usual workforce? The majority of people go the safe route and go along with each other and that's good. That is a good thing. If that safe 9-5 route is offset by a life you find fulfilling inside and outside that environment and fair play if you find that. But it's not for everyone and many doing that 9-5 cubicle life fly through their lives interrupted by weekends and holidays and then wonder why time flies. It does if you only live maybe 100 days a year and the rest is on a treadmill making way more money for someone else.

Personally my idea of hell, or at least purgatory, is a 9-5 office job and thankfully I avoided it entirely. That's not for everyone either though.

I was doing 8 to 6 before I packed it in a few weeks ago. Not office though, that would be even more soul destroying. It was depressing during the summer to watch the best time of the year fly by stuck inside while all the tourists were out enjoying themselves. Couldnt even go for a pint in the evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

I'm intelligent enough to make it work. I will succeed where other people are too afraid to do it and not put the effort in..

What effort have you put in ? So far you said you've quit your job and are living off savings so you don't have to get up at 8am.

Maybe wait until you actually achieve something before telling all us worker drones on how dumb and lazy we are...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

To quit work for good, you need 25 times your annual living expenses.
    The 4% rule.

• Advertisement
Advertisement