Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I quit my 9 to 5 job and first month is great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Pcgamer

Kraftwerk wrote: »
    What effort have you put in ? So far you said you've quit your job and are living off inheritance so you don't have to get up at 8am.

Maybe wait until you actually achieve something before lecturing all us worker drones on how dumb and lazy we are...

I'm living off my savings, house was inheritance.

I will come back to this thread soon enough when I'm up and running with something.

I'm researching clothes warehouses at the moment and markup on clothes is 40% to 60%.

If I decide to go down this route, ill setup my own site, pay for marketing etc through facebook and adworda and get the site moved up through Google search etc.

I will succeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

To quit work for good, you need 25 times your annual living expenses.
    The 4% rule.

Jesus 25 times my living expenses at the moment wouldnt amount to much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Pcgamer wrote: »
    Typical response of people who are an employee of a company and too afraid or don't know how to make money on their own.

I would bet my house you are an employee?

Would you be so quick to stake your own house if you'd actually had to work for it instead if having it handed to you? There's a lot to be said for the security of a salaried job. It doesn't make people cowards, it makes them smart. When you've kids to think about too, you can't just give the two fingers to convention and live off a finite savings.

I increased my gross salary by almost fifty percent when I left my last job and started my current one. I get a pension, health insurance, free education and paid time off at 90percent salary for almost the first year of my baby's life.

Yeah, real scared I am, that's why I stay. :)

Antares35 wrote: »
    Would you be so quick to stake your own house if you'd actually had to work for it instead if having it handed to you? There's a lot to be said for the security of a salaried job. It doesn't make people cowards, it makes them smart. When you've kids to think about too, you can't just give the two fingers to convention and live off a finite savings.

I increased my gross salary by almost fifty percent when I left my last job and started my current one. I get a pension, health insurance, free education and paid time off at 90percent salary for almost the first year of my baby's life.

Thats great for you been someone else's slacky.

I left a job with flexi time and 35 days paid holidays with health insurance, pension and annual bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Depends what you want to do really.

I increased mine by about 50% each time i moved job too. That allowed me to put a lot away. I do have responsibilities, but what ive put away hopefully will allow me to take a couple of years at least off.
    If it goes well i might never return to work.
    God I hate work. Actually its the 9-5 and working for someone else I hate. Dont mind a bit of work on the farm at all.

Thats great for you been someone else's slacks.

I left a job with flexi time and 35 days paid holidays with health insurance and annual bonus.

Someone else's slacks? I don't even know what that means. Sounds like you just have a chip on your shoulder about any kind of employment tbh. Are you sure you aren't a disgruntled fired employee?

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Depends what you want to do really.

I increased mine by about 50% each time i moved job too. That allowed me to put a lot away. I do have responsibilities, but what ive put away hopefully will allow me to take a couple of years at least off.
    If it goes well i might never return to work.
    God I hate work. Actually its the 9-5 and working for someone else I hate. Dont mind a bit of work on the farm at all.

Suppose it depends on your employer too. I hated my last one.. current one couldn't be more different.. perfect work life balance too. And, my dad was self employed all his life and I've seen how difficult it can be. There was very little help for SE in those days. Different strokes I guess, just hate this shítting on everyone else who is employed that OP seems to think is acceptable.

Someone else's slacks? I don't even know what that means. Sounds like you just have a chip on your shoulder about any kind of employment tbh. Are you sure you aren't a disgruntled fired employee?

Nope, left on my accord for freedom and not waste my life with bull****.

Nope, left on my accord for freedom and not waste my life with bull****.

Ok, I believe you :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

and not waste my life with bull****.

So you chose to waste all our lives with bull**** instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

OP, will we be seeing the youtube video with the obligatory Lamborghini in the background soon? :)

Kraftwerk wrote: »
    So you chose to waste all our lives with bull**** instead.

No one forced you to read my thread did they?

Jealous of my new quality of life perhaps?

No one forced you to read my thread did they?

Jealous of my new quality of life perhaps?

People define quality in different ways. What's good for one might not be good for another. You seem to think anyone who doesn't align themselves to your views on what determines quality means you can look down your nose at them, a quality that won't get you very far if you go out on your own.

OP, will we be seeing the youtube video with the obligatory Lamborghini in the background soon? :)

Once I can hit 400 a week I'll be happy, but aiming for ten times that.

People define quality in different ways. What's good for one might not be good for another. You seem to think anyone who doesn't align themselves to your views on what determines quality means you can look down your nose at them, a quality that won't get you very far if you go out on your own.

Not really, didn't criticise anyone until they criticised me.

• Advertisement

Not really, didn't criticise anyone until they criticised me.

Maturity will also carry you very far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

You're thinking of getting into clothing... good luck with that. I've have my own sports apparel brand for 8 years and it's painful.
    The margin on paper looks good until you factor in returns, faulty stock, wrong sizing, plain crazy sizing, orders being left short, the ever fluctuating exchange rate and the current **** show regarding logistics.
    If you're going down the clothing route, be a distributor and not a manufacturer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Quiters are losers.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭French Toast

I've often thought about it, going down the route of self employment with my own business.

Currently on a decent public servant contract, so the security of a salary and yearly increments is a big reason not to make any moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Setting up your own business is going to be 10x harder and most probably if it is successful you will have to work hours that you never worked before.

I've seen people do it, I've seen some fail and have to go back to their regular job as well. It's not the panacea that people think it is, you have to work harder than last time. It doesn't sound like you have a business plan or really thought any of this through or you haven't told us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

The grass is always greener and all that.

There are some people who are self employed right now struggling to keep afloat and barely enough money to feed them selves every week just to keep there business afloat or to keep there employees in work.

I bet some of them would think a steady 9-5 job with a regular income would be bliss to them.

BTW I'm not one of them, I have thought about going down the self employed route in the past but decided against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭xlogo

Pcgamer wrote:
    First month has been great and have enough savings to do me for five years but probably longer.

How much are you budgeting per year for the 5 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭dasdog

Oranage2 wrote: »
    First month is bliss, second month is motivation month, third month is dark depression waking up at 4pm and ordering domino's twice a day.

I packed in my job almost 5 months ago - the first time I've been out of work since the dot com bubble burst and I have loved it. I kept a routine with exercise, passed a couple of exams, watched the Tour De France, Snooker Championship and countless movies. Basically kept my mind and body healthy and I've never felt better. My days centre around things like meals, procuring decent ale/stout/cider and whatever Western/War movies are on but if the sun is out I generally go out.

I thought about moving to a cheap country and completely packing it in but I'm not done yet and I'm starting a new position in the New Year. It was bliss though - a taster of early retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

Win the Euromillions tomorrow night and ignore all previous advice and continue the fantasy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Why the hate? Are people so attached to their mundane routine of office job, new build in an estate and their fecking hape of sh1t on the PCP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Anyone else do similar, with the company 8 years. I'm done with the rat race and never going back.

No more performance reviews, No more deadlines, No more pretending to like work colleagues, no more setting the alarm for 8am, no more been constantly tired, no more stuck in traffic(well I was working from home during covid), go to bed when I want, no more putting up with bull **** that I have zeroe interest in, no more pressure.

First month has been great and have enough savings to do me for five years but probably longer.

Now I have time to do what I like. I'm giving myself six months to see what the next step holds for me and decide what I want to do.

Might move to a cheap country for a while. Who knows.

Sold my car for 8k and bought a 1ltr for 800 euro. Will do me the finest.

Fyck you rat race office work never again.

We will see what happens.

Planning on doing pretty much exactly this in 2-3 months. Fair play to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Congratulations on withdrawing from normal productive life. I'd say you were just in the wrong job. Performance reviews are great when you're performing well and so are the salary increases and bonuses.

Personally I just get up in the morning and let the annoying things about work wash over me. Absolutely no way I would retire or quit all jobs with just 6 months of living expenses. Hope you hulled up the pension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why the hate? Are people so attached to their mundane routine of office job, new build in an estate and their fecking hape of sh1t on the PCP?

Life is far too short to be stuck in a sh1t job working for an arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Quiters are losers.

There should be less shame on quitting. A bad working environment can really cause serious health problems to the point where looking for a new job won't cut it. The person needs a complete break given the toxicity they're dealing with.

Easy to say for someone with no responsibility other than wanting to earn a good wage, but how many oul lads took their job frustrations out on their family when they went home? It's not worth that.

There should be less shame on quitting. A bad working environment can really cause serious health problems to the point where looking for a new job won't cut it. The person needs a complete break given the toxicity they're dealing with.

Easy to say for someone with no responsibility other than wanting to earn a good wage, but how many oul lads took their job frustrations out on their family when they went home? It's not worth that.

You can always move job?

The OP is quitting full stop.

I often worked a shight job before. It never caused me to go home and cause grief. People need to disassociate themselves from their jobs and inherit their lives.

If the OP thinks that giving up a job and starting their own business is going to make their life a lot easier the OP is going to be disappointed. Owning your own business is the key to a whole new real world of worry and strife, it will not suit everyone.

When you have a job your clients and customers are your employers and by association your colleagues. You phuck up every now and then you are generally still getting paid.

When you own a business everything is involved, only people who own one will understand what I am talking about. You certainly do not get the option of " quitting" lightly.

• Advertisement

You can always move job?

The OP is quitting full stop.

I often worked a shight job before. It never caused me to go home and cause grief. People need to disassociate themselves from their jobs and inherit their lives.

If the OP thinks that giving up a job and starting their own business is going to make their life a lot easier the OP is going to be disappointed. Owning your own business is the key to a whole new real world of worry and strife, it will not suit everyone.

When you have a job your clients and customers are your employers and by association your colleagues. You phuck up every now and then you are generally still getting paid.

When you own a business everything is involved, only people who own one will understand what I am talking about. You certainly do not get the option of " quitting" lightly.

My point and apologies if they didn't make it clear is that moving jobs is redundant if you're near that breaking point as it will carry on to the next job. In that circumstance quitting is a more than worthy option.

I think you're taking quitting in the literal sense as well. Quitting doesn't mean handing in your notice and walking out same day. For some people it's anywhere from a month to 6 month process depending on your role. There's nothing cowardly about doing a gradual handover and walking away with a clear conscience.

My point and apologies if they didn't make it clear is that moving jobs is redundant if you're near that breaking point as it will carry on to the next job. In that circumstance quitting is a more than worthy option.

I think you're taking quitting in the literal sense as well. Quitting doesn't mean handing in your notice and walking out same day. For some people it's anywhere from a month to 6 month process depending on your role. There's nothing cowardly about doing a gradual handover and walking away with a clear conscience.

It is still quitting??

Don't be a quiter , take part in something, make a change.

And by the way, if you are quiting, quit in style. Don't hang around the office pawning your underpaid ass off to a gang of chunts who have been disrespecting your hard work for the last 8 years?

Tell them to go and stuff their job up their hole and walk out the door. 6 months my winking brown eye, any company that can't survive without the one employee they have abused for 8 years deserves to go down the swanny. Don't waste your time faffing around for 6 months, doing what?

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Great another scrounger. Someone who can work but too lazy to.

I prefer to work and know my paye is paying for health care, education, police

Garda well earning their money these days aren't they? We have restrictions that aren't being enforced and is probably the biggest reason we're putting up with more lockdown dirt, so one less person paying their wage is hardly anything to lament.

A scrounger? Nope.

Not too sound harsh but would you be lost in life without a job working for someone profiting off you? I'm sick of office politics and putting on a smile for people i dont even like.

I still may end up contracting if things don't go to plan and thats me getting a daily rate where i pick and choose where i go and can take six months off in the year if i feel like it. I'm not signing on or hiding 200K in a bank account unbeknown to the dole office or anything.

A scrounger? Nope.

Not too sound harsh but would you be lost in life without a job working for someone profiting off you?

I still may end up contracting if things don't go to plan and thats me getting a daily rate where i pick and choose where i go and can take six months off in the year if i feel like it. I'm not signing on or hiding 200K in a bank account unbeknown to the dole office or anything.

I don't think you will be able to handle the transition between having to work and liking your work.

Nothing harsh about it. You will take what you get, picking and choosing is a fantasy that window gazers daydream about.

If I were you are I would get cracking, a month is a long time to be faffing around, idle in the real world. I would advise you to stop wasting your own time for starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭xlogo

Pcgamer wrote:

So much per year have you budgeted to live off?

Garda well earning their money these days aren't they? We have restrictions that aren't being enforced and is probably the biggest reason we're putting up with more lockdown dirt, so one less person paying their wage is hardly anything to lament.

Blames a global pandemic on the cops....

Probably never worked a day in your life?

Blames a global pandemic on the cops....

Probably never worked a day in your life?

I'll have you know I'm going on 8 years in my current well paying job come march. :cool:

Just calling it as I see it, there are rules in place that obviously haven't been enforced whether it be because of our government or police.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭dublin49

your situaton is practically unique ,inherited a house and no dependents.If that was the norm half the population would be doing their own thing.Its a nice situation to be in but hardly relevant to most posters on here.If you had 300K mortgage and 2 kids I suspect you would not be doing what you are doing,You have very little financial responsibility and are acting accordingly.Nothing to see here

I'll have you know I'm going on 8 years in my current well paying job come march. :cool:

Just calling it as I see it, there are rules in place that obviously haven't been enforced whether it be because of our government or police.

I don't believe you, pull the other one?

Someone actually pays you to do something for them?

I don't think so, it is March btw.

I take it you aren't the state calligrapher?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I don't believe you, pull the other one?

Someone actually pays you to do something for them?

I don't think so, it is March btw.

I take it you aren't the state calligrapher?

No need for that pal, half insulting and half pedantic. I didn't insult you unless you're a gard.

I didn't insult you unless you're a gard.

How is that working out for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

dublin49 wrote: »
    your situaton is practically unique ,inherited a house and no dependents.If that was the norm half the population would be doing their own thing.Its a nice situation to be in but hardly relevant to most posters on here.If you had 300K mortgage and 2 kids I suspect you would not be doing what you are doing,You have very little financial responsibility and are acting accordingly.Nothing to see here

The norm is the carrot dangled infront of the donkey trying to run up the hill

"We" are expected to pay 300k+interest on a brick box to live in. There is nothing to prevent said brick box costing a small fraction of that price but careful engineering by government policy (planning laws, lending restrictions and building regulations) most people are kept on the treadmill by the system.

• Advertisement

How is that working out for you?

I'm sure you try your best. But I'm also sure you have your own internal beefs on how to enforce things. This is hardly a revelation to you.

I'm sure you try your best. But I'm also sure you have your own internal beefs on how to enforce things. This is hardly a revelation to you.

Did you ever consider coherency testing?

Rules? Why do you expect gardai to enforce rules?
    They enforce laws. No law, no enforcement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Anyone else do similar, with the company 8 years. I'm done with the rat race and never going back.

No more performance reviews, No more deadlines, No more pretending to like work colleagues, no more setting the alarm for 8am, no more been constantly tired, no more stuck in traffic(well I was working from home during covid), go to bed when I want, no more putting up with bull **** that I have zeroe interest in, no more pressure.

Now I have time to do what I like. I'm giving myself six months to see what the next step holds for me and decide what I want to do.

Might move to a cheap country for a while. Who knows.

Sold my car for 8k and bought a 1ltr for 800 euro. Will do me the finest.

Fyck you rat race office work never again.

We will see what happens.

Never ever ever do this. You will be sorry for this move later in life. I did this 15 years ago and Gawd I wish I had not made this move.I left the comfy safe environment of an American multinational thinking I knew better. My neighbour at that stage was a manager in AIB and I remember laughing at him going to work every morning when I left. I set out to ensure I always had 3 months salary in front of me or I would go back. Some hope
    Ha, when I attempted to return I discovered my " mates and contacts " dries up and I had no opportunities.I have had 3 offers in the last 15 years of €25k and 3 % commission so that would not keep me or my family. Think long and hard folks before making a move like this, I have never earned the same money as my last months salary......

Did you ever consider coherency testing?

What I meant is that I'm sure there are beefs amongst yourselves on how to deal with the current situation.

Anyway, I didn't mean to offend. I know you from the nags forum and you're a good bloke. I'll remove myself from this thread now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement