Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I quit my 9 to 5 job and first month is great.

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Start a youtube channel and flaunt you new life. 'hey guys! just want to show you guys a day in my life' 'queue dance music'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I know right, the resentment of people amazes me.

I was chatting with the missus about this and we're raised to believe that we should work 9-5 doing jobs we often hate just to get a couple of weeks holidays per year and a few years in retirement at the end. We're told anyone who doesn't work is a waster or will go crazy with boredom

And when someone manages to break out of this, the first thing they get is abuse, says a lot about us as a society doesn't it

So I say good on the OP, and I believe financial freedom is something to aspire to, not something to resent in others

While I agree with you, the other side of that coin is people being insulted for doing a 9-5 and being called slaves, lazy, fearful and (my pet hate) looking down on them for "making someone else wealthy".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Antares35 wrote: »
    While I agree with you, the other side of that coin is people being insulted for doing a 9-5 and being called slaves, lazy, fearful and (my pet hate) looking down on them for "making someone else wealthy".

Yeah I had a flatmate who had a fine art degree and she looked down on us for working 9-5 and always made out like she had found the 'true' way of living, the irony is she thought we looked down on her. In reality I wouldn't have been able to live in her shoes because she was always on the bread line and was miserable and in counselling and refused to do waitressing jobs etc., She blew through her savings buying a car and renting a studio and had to move back home to her parents. I believe some people can make money from their art but others toil and are constantly stressed.

In a parallel universe she would be right about how to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I think many people overestimate the amount they actually need to survive.

The FI/RE - Financial Independence & Retiring Early on Reddit makes for very interesting reading - https://www.reddit.com/r/Fire/

I've heard a few interviews with Mr Money Moustache and it is amazing how little money is required to retire early - https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Patsy167 wrote: »

The FI/RE - Financial Independence & Retiring Early on Reddit makes for very interesting reading - https://www.reddit.com/r/Fire/

I've heard a few interviews with Mr Money Moustache and it is amazing how little money is required to retire early - https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/

An irish view on that would be a good to read i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

There's another side to this. My wife used to work in a very large old company (ex semi state) and it used to drive her nuts. Some people had been there for decades and 'couldn't' leave as they felt they would forgo their redundancy payment (could be over 100K) that they had 'built up' over the years. So they continued on in a soulless job being treated like **** hoping for the day to arrive when they would be let go. Was like a living hell apparently. Then they would reach the stage where they would basically be unemployable elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

arctictree wrote: »
    There's another side to this. My wife used to work in a very large old company (ex semi state) and it used to drive her nuts. Some people had been there for decades and 'couldn't' leave as they felt they would forgo their redundancy payment (could be over 100K) that they had 'built up' over the years. So they continued on in a soulless job being treated like **** hoping for the day to arrive when they would be let go. Was like a living hell apparently. Then they would reach the stage where they would basically be unemployable elsewhere.

I worked in a place like that. The best thing I ever did was walk out and not look back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

It’s really hilarious. It’s not that long ago that people were going crazy that young people had to emigrate because there were no jobs, and now like you say they are being insulted and called slaves. I’m really not sure what they should be doing, apart from relaxing in some utopia that doesn’t exist anywhere in the world. Unless they have a sh1t load of savings, but how do you get those savings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

It’s really hilarious. It’s not that long ago that people were going crazy that young people had to emigrate because there were no jobs, and now like you say they are being insulted and called slaves. I’m really not sure what they should be doing, apart from relaxing in some utopia that doesn’t exist anywhere in the world. Unless they have a sh1t load of savings, but how do you get those savings?
    Onlyfans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Onlyfans?

Oh no. I heard that can be a rat race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭yagan

I was one of those who emigrated after the bust, hadn't planned to go but at the time staying was going to take more than leaving would give.

It is possible to create for yourself a work life balance without it being at others expense, however FFG seem to think social stability is workers struggling to keep a roof over their heads paying rent to landlords.

Utopia is a subjective concept, but social stability concerns us all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

You have no rent/mortgage so that is a massive reduction in outgoings. You could live on very little if you want but that’s a lifestyle issue. Also you could rent out rooms too. Long term though, what do you want to do? Setting up your own business comes with its own risks.

Thing is most people have jobs and not careers. Employers will let people think they can progress to get them to work longer hour’s when there is not a future in the job they are in. Some people spend years in this trap to be passed over for an outside applicant, when they should have job hopped for experience and more money.

If I was in your position I’d get another job after a month or two and save a bit more when you can, then look at the renting out rooms route. Make money for the future now when you can and always be saving so you don’t need to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭dublin49

Patsy167 wrote: »

Its true you can survive on a very small amount and forgo Health insurance,cable tv ,car ,hols etc.But thats just trading one deficit for another.And overall if your retirement solution involved long term welfare payments is that a sustainable solution given the system would collaspe if a large cohort follows your example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I worked in a place like that. The best thing I ever did was walk out and not look back.

Same here, had a shot at redundancy but my job got 'saved' instead. Quit anyway and am now much happier in my new job. Not gonna let myself get into that situation again

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I get you, and I'm certainly not insulting anyone for having a 9-5 job, I'd be insulting myself then

I don't like this idea that a lot of people seem to have that if you don't have a job you're somehow worthless. Yeah if someone is living off social welfare with no intention of getting a job, then I can't say I'll have much respect for their attitude.

However if someone through good planning and good fortune manages to get out of a job they don't like and had enough money built up to keep up their lifestyle without working full time, then I don't see how anyone can belittle them for that.

If they're willing and able to live a more frugal lifestyle to support their savings then that's their choice, not for us to judge. Some people feel the need to live the high life, others are happy with a simpler lifestyle, each to their own

And if they person is claiming social welfare, then what's the problem with that? It's worth remembering that they probably contributed more in tax to the system than they'd get out in 5 years or so of unemployment.

The whole basis of social welfare is that you contribute tax money when you're working so that you're able to receive payments when you aren't

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Ive been inspired.
    Look what I found.

https://ignitemyfire.ie/2020/11/retirement-income-in-ireland/

Though i not sure about them. One of them said she gave a lecture on her retirement planning and laid out all the fugures of houw much an extension on her house would be and how much she would earn from converting her garage to a granny flat.

She forgot to talk about both planning permission and tax.

Interesting all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Piehead

Oh no. I heard that can be a rat race.

Fap race you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Best of luck op, sounds like you made a great decision, give yourself plenty of time to figure out what the next move is, and you 'll eventually find the career you love

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Sheena Easton, is not impressed with the OP's decision

Advertisement