Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Revenue is overcharging me PAYE tax by over €81 per week

• 24-12-2020 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there,
    I'm looking for some advice on how to deal with revenue. I had a surgery this summer and was unable to work for four months. This was a work related injury and I was receiving my full wages. I was awarded Illness benefit, but this was going straight to my employer and I haven't seen a penny out of it. In November the revenue decided to increase my PAYE tax by over €81 per week. On the 30th of November I went back to work and the payment stopped (checked with the employer), but revenue continues to overcharge me. I tried to talk to them over their enquiry messaging service, no result. I got a letter from my employer to confirm that. I've contacted the social welfare twice and ask them to send a letter to revenue to inform them that the payment is over. They've done that twice.
    Revenue is still overcharging me weekly with that amount.
    What can I do, please help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

apply for a balancing statement from revenue using my account and you will get a refund in January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Revenue doesn't charge you anything they just tell your employer what your tax credits and the amount you can still earn before you hit the 40% tax band.

On the website you can see what your employer said you were earning, if the social welfare told them you were getting a payment and what they think your total income each payslip was. Look to see if that's right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭Tow

You are better off getting Illness/Maternity Benefit paid into your own account. Sending a Benefit payment to your employer often causes more problems than it solves, for both the Employee and Employer. Your employer should have reduced your Gross Pay (Salary) by the Benefit amount and paid the Benefit back to you as a Net amount. Revenue automatically apply Tax to Benefits by reducing employees Tax Credits and COP. The net result is you are slightly better off, as no USC and PRSI is paid on the Benefit.

By the sounds of it your employer has your Benefit 'resting' in their account and effectively overpaid you. This results in you paying Income Tax on the Benefit twice.

Just to add. DEASP are supposed to inform Revenue in near real-time of an Employee receiving a Benefit, Revenue in turn reduce Tax Credits and the Employer is required to import the new values each time they run a payroll.
    However, I have recently seen serious delays with DEASP's notifications to Revenue of over a year. Creating serious underpayments to 2019 tax returns.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Advertisement