Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Necro Presents - Album Walrus

Options
  • 24-12-2020 10:10am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Whilst you're wetting your whistle with the very first TV Walrus, I've decided to have a crack at full Albums.
    tumblr_mv4uscOcyz1sm0jo0o1_500.gif

The premise is very simple - sometimes a song isn't enough to encapsulate an artist. Very often the single song lacks the context of an entire album, capturing the ebb and flow of the theme.

tumblr_n9edi5h6WI1sm0jo0o1_500.gif

Let's put that to the test shall we.

I'm going to have three categories for this, given the probably large workload this will entail I think more categories would mean this could drag on a bit longer than is intended.

giphy.gif

Note: Please don't submit *Best Of* albums. To me they are an accumulation of an artist's best work, and thus naturally are already favourable in content.
    f07.gif

The three categories are as follows

My Fave Artist - Show me what one of your fave artists has in their repertoire, make me love them like you do.
    Movie Soundtracks - exactly what it says on the tin
    2010s are alright, ya know - An album from 2010 or later, let's see what new skool has, and will I find it cool?

Keeping signups open over Christmas and probably into January, no upper limit here so go wild.

Just to let you all know that duplicate entries in this game will receive *half points*

So for example if Necro and LeVar submit the same album which scores 18 points in total, both players will receive 9 points as opposed to the maximum 18 on offer.

An incentive to be more unique, if you will.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

***dusts off the old record collection***

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Now Necro.

Will you really listen to the whole album of something I submit?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Clarabel wrote:
    Will you really listen to the whole album of something I submit?

I promise to try.

I forgot to mention that if you like in your PM you can give me the highlights of the album for you and I'll see if it matches up with my own view :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

In!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Great idea, hope you like meatloaf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

What is your stance on live albums Necs?

What is your stance on live albums Necs?

No issue with live albums. Just don't want Best Of.

So an unplugged or a 'Live from New York' type album would be absolutely fine imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

In :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Necro wrote: »
    Just to let you all know that duplicate entries in this game will receive *half points*
    tumblr_md1boruVx31qi6m23o1_500.gif
    I'm looking at you, Homer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Cool Idea Necro!!

For the movie soundtracks do you prefer songs or original music? or either is OK?

• Advertisement

Irish Aris wrote:
    For the movie soundtracks do you prefer songs or original music? or either is OK?

Either is fine, I'm partial to both :D

• Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Oh man, movie soundtracks, how do I narrow it down to one :confused:

7 entries in that I can see in my PM inbox so far.

Trigger
    LeVar
    Irish Aris
    the purple tin
    Sawduck
    JP Liz V1

Gonna leave this open to entries for another week anyways, haven't started listening to anything yet on account of Christmas and whatnot but I'll probably be getting started in the next day or so....

I'll get an entry in for sure. I've got shortlists in my head, but I want to listen to them all to pick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'll be in after this game of werewolf is over :)

No panic just yet anyways guys. 10 seems like a sweet spot for albums (30 albums that would mean) but I'm not putting that as an upper limit, so take your time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Will get mine in this week.

Shane-U and Kolido enter the fray to bring our total up to 9 players!

Gonna set a date now, but still time to get your entry in:

Closing sign ups on Friday, 8th January at 6pm

Aiming to have the first round reveal the following week then, will probably be a little slower than my normal pace as I want to give all entries a couple of listens - will take a little more time than your standard Walrus :)

My Fave Artist - Show me what one of your fave artists has in their repertoire, make me love them like you do
    Damn you Necro! My favourite artist has nine albums. I've narrowed it down to four but this is like Sophie's Choice :o

• Advertisement

Oh shoots, so caught up in work that I nearly forgot this.

I hope to have sometime to sit down on Friday and give it some proper consideration.

I think* that I have the soundtrack determined.......but could change :D

OK, I'm in :)

Three albums that I love, if one or two grab you I'll be delighted

And if your hate them all I'll be sorry I wasted your time but know that you're wrong :D

EN and cee_jay bring us up to 11!

Under a week to go now till sign ups close, still time to get your entry in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

OK, I'm in :)

Three albums that I love, if one or two grab you I'll be delighted

And if your hate them all I'll be sorry I wasted your time but know that you're wrong :D

Same. I am here listening to one of my picks while cooking the dinner, himself walks in and asks what's this? It's great! So hope Necro also thinks similar!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

one album to go and the writeups for my choices are already longer than the prologue I wrote for Silent hill....

RasTa brings us up to 12 and now we are cooking with gas.

Had a brief listen to a random album from the first category this morning in the shower. Impressed with what I was listening to!

And I'm in

lindsey-stirling-playing-violin-animated-gif-2.gif

13 with shelly's entry, have I bitten off more than I can chew :P

Just kidding, I need me some listening for the next few weeks. Full albums is going to be interesting. Gonna start downloading em all on spotify in next few days and getting thoughts onto paper.

I've an idea in mind for the reveal that might differ from other Walruses a bit, but I think that full albums deserve a bit more appreciation than single songs, in particular with the blurbs some of you have sent me accompanying your entries...

And that's without Rikand's essay (yet) :pac:

More to come on that in the Reveal thread though which is still over a week away :D

...in particular with the blurbs some of you have sent me accompanying your entries...
    As a slight aside*, I've often thought Walrus reveals could benefit from a couple of sentences on why it was nominated. "What they said" followed by "What I thought", that's what I was thinking when it gets round to me

*or spoiling your exact idea :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

As a slight aside*, I've often thought Walrus reveals could benefit from a couple of sentences on why it was nominated. "What they said" followed by "What I thought", that's what I was thinking when it gets round to me

*or spoiling your exact idea :D

Good luck with that. Some of the time you'd be lucky to get the proper song title from some people, or you have to deduce what category they're nominating any given song for as the list isn't even in order and often the PMs need all sorts of decoding, never mind trying to get everyone to send in notes as well.

Some people do send great blurbs, and always try to have a few accompanying sentences myself when nominating, but sometimes you get Walrus submissions in and you'd spend half an hour scratching your head wondering what feckin drugs some people must've been taking when they threw together that PM... :rolleyes:

Advertisement