Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal, Parcel Motel - business as usual?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Athasselabbey

If I order from a uk website, say qvcuk, they already charge the uk vat on the order and the order is then delivered to my virtual addresspal address - why should I have to pay vat again when it gets here as I've already paid it in the UK???

This is what I can't get my head around 🀷*♀️

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

If I order from a uk website, say qvcuk, they already charge the uk vat on the order and the order is then delivered to my virtual addresspal address - why should I have to pay vat again when it gets here as I've already paid it in the UK???

This is what I can't get my head around 🀷*♀️
    Because the UK is now outside the EU so it's completely irrelevant to EU tax authorities who are only obliged to ensure VAT isn't charged on the same transaction in more than one EU member state.

The onus is on you to avoid being charged UK VAT or to claim it back afterwards if possible.

Quackster wrote: »
    Because the UK is now outside the EU so it's completely irrelevant to EU tax authorities who are only obliged to ensure VAT isn't charged on the same transaction in more than one EU member state.

The onus is on you to avoid being charged UK VAT or to claim it back afterwards if possible.

And I guess asking them not to charge the vat while sending it to a uk virtual address will be a non runner, it really is a mess for us, thanks for your reply, definitely clears things up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

deravarra wrote: »
    I would expect that they would send a notification that they would need cash payment on delivery - and an estimation on how much.

We are living in the 21st century after all - and not many people keep cash in their homes.

Can you imagine how much cash will be in the anpost vans after a days worth of deliveries!!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭edunne2010

Just an update, got a Parcel Motel Checkin Notification 12:23 today, Great to see there catching up with the backlog.

• Advertisement

edunne2010 wrote: »
    Just an update, got a Parcel Motel Checkin Notification 12:23 today, Great to see there catching up with the backlog.

Have they set up a new virtual address?

New one at the following address,

YOUR NAME
    PM XXXXXXX
    UPS Customer Centre
    Unit 5 Mygan Park
    Jamestown Road
    Dublin 11 D11 A729
    Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

YOUR NAME
    PM XXXXXXX
    UPS Customer Centre
    Unit 5 Mygan Park
    Jamestown Road
    Dublin 11 D11 A729
    Ireland

Not a UK address.
    How is this different from just getting item sent straight to your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

blade1 wrote: »
    Not a UK address.
    How is this different from just getting item sent straight to your house?

Its still a handy service for people that might not be in when the postman attempts to make a delivery.

Or in my case, for doing sneaky deliveries of car parts and hiding them from the wife. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

blade1 wrote:
    Not a UK address. How is this different from just getting item sent straight to your house?

If they provided a UK address then you will pay UK vat at the time of purchase. When they bring it into Ireland from your UK Post box you would then have to pay Irish vat too.

I don't understand why anyone would want to do such a thing. This is why they suspended the service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

YOUR NAME
    PM XXXXXXX
    UPS Customer Centre
    Unit 5 Mygan Park
    Jamestown Road
    Dublin 11 D11 A729
    Ireland
    Why do they need a new Dublin address?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Tzardine wrote: »
    Its still a handy service for people that might not be in when the postman attempts to make a delivery.

Or in my case, for doing sneaky deliveries of car parts and hiding them from the wife. :)

Are u then just paying for two services?
    Sorry just genuinely thought this is a non runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

The big advantage for me is in this scenario.

You are waiting on something you need but you are working monday-friday 9-5.

Postman attempts delivery on Monday morning and gives you a missed delivery card, but you can't feesibly collect it until the Saturday.

With PM you pay the few extra euro, but you can collect it Monday evening after work.

No one at the house during the day, my employer does not allow deliveries, lost of parcels if left at hall door due to porch pirates.

Advertisement