Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Startup

Options
  • 24-12-2020 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Fulltime healthcare worker, 12 years in the field.
    Knows the Governance of complex healthcare systems.
    Identified several gaps in the system-Those are opportunities to improve patient outcomes.

A co founder could be a great idea.

Any software developers with business acumen interested to go through the tears
    and pains of a start up?

No hurry,

You will get a person with passion for success and clinical knowledge with zero fund but with potential solutions for any problems

Merry Christmas 🎄 and Happy New year!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Aside from the knowledge of specific healthcare problems and possible solutions to them, what would your role in this partnership be?
    Is there a likely sale of the possible solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jinish

Aside from the knowledge of specific healthcare problems and possible solutions to them, what would your role in this partnership be?
    Is there a likely sale of the possible solution?

I see myself in the line of business development/product development.

There will be sales and it could be scalable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

jinish wrote: »
    I see myself in the line of business development/product development.

There will be sales and it could be scalable.

Have you got a business plan, the business specifications for the product, actual finance?

There are plenty of people out there with ideas, it's the ones that can actually demonstrate they are bring something to the table are the ones that attract the developers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Have you got a business plan, the business specifications for the product, actual finance?

There are plenty of people out there with ideas, it's the ones that can actually demonstrate they are bring something to the table are the ones that attract the developers.

I'd see this as one of the important factors in a partnership. From my own queries, the HSE won't just let anyone with an idea in the front door. A system needs to be solid, secure and fit for purpose, while being thoroughly tested.

I'd be interested myself in a partnership, but at the end of the day, everything needs to be nailed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    From my own queries, the HSE won't just let anyone with an idea in the front door. A system needs to be solid, secure and fit for purpose, while being thoroughly tested.

Yes this is spot on. I co-founded a startup and went through the whole tender/RFI process for government bodies and the reality is that you don't stand a chance. The big consulting companies have the resources and contacts to have it won before the RFI is even published.

I worked for one of the consulting companies prior to the startup and they were practically building the required solution and submitting it as part of the RFI. Very few of the smaller, more reasonably priced yet equally qualified companies, can do this.

Another barrier is that they'll look for audited financial accounts for the last three years.

I really think it's a risk thing. As a manager in the government body, you won't be blamed for giving the project to the likes of Accenture, Deloitte, PWC etc even if something goes wrong. You certainly would be answering questions if you took a punt on a lesser known company or a startup. And in my experience, government bodies are terrible at requirements and scope creep is unavoidable - every project is under pressure for this reason.

To the OP, I hope you have seriously good contacts that allow you circumvent the problems above!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I am sure you are correct that you have identified a gap in the market.

The question really is whether there is a market in the gap and whether you are in a position to fill that gap, financially, technically and politically.

It is certainly possible in principle. You have to be in a position to resource up what you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Fulltime healthcare worker, 12 years in the field.
    Knows the Governance of complex healthcare systems.
    Identified several gaps in the system-Those are opportunities to improve patient outcomes.

I do not want to put out your flames of passion but I can tell you most IT service providers and major consulting companies operating in Ireland have presented 100’s of possible solutions to DPER & the HSE to plug holes, save costs and improve patient waiting times and 99% of them go nowhere.

In my own case I worked for a major global IT company with lots of HSE contracts, I was the lead solution architect working on a couple of projects and we identified a very simple change that would link databases between 3 departments that would cut waiting time and save at least a million in process saving costs in year 1. It was turned down as there was no budget available, it was not an expensive solution about 150k in investment would have saved a fortune.

It might be different now with Paul Reid in charge of the HSE so there may be be a better chance now, I met him when he ran Fingal CC and he was very open to innovation at the time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

John_Mc wrote: »
    Yes this is spot on. I co-founded a startup and went through the whole tender/RFI process for government bodies and the reality is that you don't stand a chance. The big consulting companies have the resources and contacts to have it won before the RFI is even published.

I worked for one of the consulting companies prior to the startup and they were practically building the required solution and submitting it as part of the RFI. Very few of the smaller, more reasonably priced yet equally qualified companies, can do this.

Another barrier is that they'll look for audited financial accounts for the last three years.

I really think it's a risk thing. As a manager in the government body, you won't be blamed for giving the project to the likes of Accenture, Deloitte, PWC etc even if something goes wrong. You certainly would be answering questions if you took a punt on a lesser known company or a startup. And in my experience, government bodies are terrible at requirements and scope creep is unavoidable - every project is under pressure for this reason.

To the OP, I hope you have seriously good contacts that allow you circumvent the problems above!

I know this will sound like a smart arsed comment, but I don't think the OP would be here asking questions if they had the required contacts. Interesting perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You'd swear the developers were the key people....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

John_Mc wrote: »

This is 100 percent bang on.

That said, if the product is a piece of software then it may stand a chance of implementation but a very difficult area!

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »

If you are the developer and are going to put in the effort, it would be wise to ensure that the others around the table have something to give beyond an idea.

kippy wrote: »

But they are, aren't they!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Are the HSE not a closed house for tendering, i.e you must go through a process every 3-5 years to be approved for tendering?

Op, Devs are actually not essential initially. Once you have your plan and can build user stories you can farm the work out. What you need now is a tech architect.

Thank you all for the valuation contributions.

The Idea I have is not a ground breaking idea. Its a simple solution and I am sure that most of the clinicial directors and leads would appreciate it if they can at least see the working of an MVP.

Its just about bringing visibility to them in the area of assurance and honestly i could not find anything out there that could fill this gap.

Perhaps a database company could develop it within few days, but I think the key is the knowledge about the effective processes.

I was just exploring options to make an informed decision. As contributed to this form, the finance is going to be a big factor.
    I will wait and see if there are anyways of getting some support for these kind of initiatives before leaving my job.

Thank you all for the valuation contributions.

The Idea I have is not a ground breaking idea. Its a simple solution and I am sure that most of the clinicial directors and leads would appreciate it if they can at least see the working of an MVP.

Its just about bringing visibility to them in the area of assurance and honestly i could not find anything out there that could fill this gap.

Perhaps a database company could develop it within few days, but I think the key is the knowledge about the effective processes.

I was just exploring options to make an informed decision. As contributed to this form, the finance is going to be a big factor.
    I will wait and see if there are anyways of getting some support for these kind of initiatives before leaving my job.

And those are the two biggest factors in making a startup successful. Having the ideas is the peanuts part, developing the software a little bit more difficult, but if you can't provide access to the decision makers nor the finance to do it....

Sorry, but good developers probably get offered a few of these kind of "opportunity" every year.

And those are the two biggest factors in making a startup successful. Having the ideas is the peanuts part, developing the software a little bit more difficult, but if you can't provide access to the decision makers nor the finance to do it....

Sorry, but good developers probably get offered a few of these kind of "opportunity" every year.
    I have access to the 'decision makers'. However, if I have to be the part of the team, I need to be out from my current job due to conflicts of interest.
    I am trying to see what are the options for finance.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

krissovo wrote: »
    I do not want to put out your flames of passion but I can tell you most IT service providers and major consulting companies operating in Ireland have presented 100’s of possible solutions to DPER & the HSE to plug holes, save costs and improve patient waiting times and 99% of them go nowhere.

In my own case I worked for a major global IT company with lots of HSE contracts, I was the lead solution architect working on a couple of projects and we identified a very simple change that would link databases between 3 departments that would cut waiting time and save at least a million in process saving costs in year 1. It was turned down as there was no budget available, it was not an expensive solution about 150k in investment would have saved a fortune.

It might be different now with Paul Reid in charge of the HSE so there may be be a better chance now, I met him when he ran Fingal CC and he was very open to innovation at the time.

Maybe that's because DPER, HSE and other Depts have their own priorities, their own agenda, their own strategy, just like any large organisation, public or private. They don't drop everything and say 'oh wow, look at this nice new shiny tool/project' kindly brought to us by the nice new shiny IT company every time they get a knock on the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Maybe that's because DPER, HSE and other Depts have their own priorities, their own agenda, their own strategy, just like any large organisation, public or private. They don't drop everything and say 'oh wow, look at this nice new shiny tool/project' kindly brought to us by the nice new shiny IT company every time they get a knock on the door.

Helpful contribution to the thread, well done.

My question is, is this solution unique to the HSE? Can is be ported to other industries and expanded upon? If it solves a problem, maybe it can be open sourced and revenue derived from paid support.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

krissovo wrote: »
    Helpful contribution to the thread, well done.

Thanks, it should indeed be helpful to the OP to think about things from the client POV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Perhaps a database company could develop it within few days, but I think the key is the knowledge about the effective processes.....

Few days...

..an idea is not enough. Its just scratching the surface of whats required.

https://www.mercer.com/our-thinking/blockchain-for-healthcare.html#:~:text=By%20using%20blockchain%2C%20HR%20departments,patient%20experience%20with%20'smart%20contracts.
    https://www.hrtechnologist.com/articles/digital-transformation/top-blockchain-hr-startups/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Forget it.

The Irish Healthcare market is a small niche, within a niche, within a small European country. They'd rather spaff tens of millions with a major global consultancy than spend hundreds of thousands for a potentially a better outcome with a small, indigenous software company.

I know of several Irish IT SME's who got-in with Public Sector organisations back in the 90's when the barriers to entry weren't as high as they are now, and their products, although legacy, are still crucial to the effective running of the entire operation.

Forget it.

The Irish Healthcare market is a small niche, within a niche, within a small European country. They'd rather spaff tens of millions with a major global consultancy than spend hundreds of thousands for a potentially a better outcome with a small, indigenous software company.

I know of several Irish IT SME's who got-in with Public Sector organisations back in the 90's when the barriers to entry weren't as high as they are now, and their products, although legacy, are still crucial to the effective running of the entire operation.

Yep, pretty much the same with any public sector department. Smaller companies don't stand a chance when it comes to winning the tenders.

Advertisement