Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXX-113,332 ROI(2,282 deaths) 81,251 NI (1,384 deaths) (05/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

What’s the difference between ICU and hospitalisation? Like I get the fact ICU is critical/more serious but what exactly does hospitalisation exactly mean/look like?

Respitory/breathing difficulty, mild in some cases but enough to be concerned about. Also some of these people may have underlying/ongoing conditions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Stheno wrote: »
    Good to know. It was the Indo I read it in earlier this week

Actually found it on the hse site

It came into effect on Dec. 23rd
    Second tests for close contacts who test negative

From 23 December a close contact of a person who has tested positive will usually be offered only 1 COVID-19 test. This will be reviewed on 12 January 2021.

If you are a close contact you need to restrict your movements for 14 days, even if your test result is negative.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing/if-you-are-a-close-contact.html

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KerryConnor

They've changed rules ft 24th I think so only 1 test now.
    Golfwidow wrote: »
    As a close contact to a positive case, I had my second test today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

What’s the difference between ICU and hospitalisation? Like I get the fact ICU is critical/more serious but what exactly does hospitalisation exactly mean/look like?

A Covid positive person can present to hospital with any number of symptoms; shortness of breath, cough, fever, chest pain probably being the most common.
    Generally, anyone who feels unwell enough that they feel they need to go to hospital and subsequently test positive.

Covid can cause or exacerbate any number of conditions.
    People need to stop categorizing hospitalised patients as either
    1. just being treated for Covid and nothing else or
    2. they presented with other ailments and just happened to test positive.

Covid is a complicated disease that affects many organs. Anyone being hospitalised and having Covid is a serious matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Golfwidow

Actually found it on the hse site

It came into effect on Dec. 23rd

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/testing/if-you-are-a-close-contact.html

As a family - of close contacts, we had 1st test on 21st Dec and had to wait 7 days for second test today. Mind you, we were sent to another county to be tested. A family member who also tested positive weeks ago in the UK told me that her close contacts did not get tested there but were asked to restrict movements for 14 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Can't get my head around of this post.

It happens a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Hospital you are in general bed and monitored essentially. Its likely that more of these cases may need to be moved to ICU if the symptoms develop further.

ICU means it is life threatening . Greater care needed

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Golfwidow wrote: »
    As a family - of close contacts, we had 1st test on 21st Dec and had to wait 7 days for second test today. Mind you, we were sent to another county to be tested. A family member who also tested positive weeks ago in the UK told me that her close contacts did not get tested there but were asked to restrict movements for 14 days.
    Yes I think it only applies for close contacts of those who test positive from the 23rd

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Hospitalisation could be breathing difficulties /high temperature that need nasal oxygen/mask and IV fluids and IV paracetamol to manage which you can't do at home.ICU you"re looking at ventilation or standby for ventilation because your oxygen levels are dropping, high temperature not responding to either oral or iv treatment, I.e., dangerously Ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

No epidemiology reports out yet and todays numbers include the missing days.

27-12-2020-p1.jpg
    27-12-2020-p2.jpg
    27-12-2020-p3.jpg
    27-12-2020-p4.jpg
    27-12-2020-p5.jpg
    27-12-2020-p6.jpg
    27-12-2020-p7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

Could have respiratory distress needing oxygen via nasal prongs or a mask or a non invasive form of ventilation. May never, or not yet, need ICU level of care or could be a case that receives treatment in general ward like steroids and blood thinners but decision has been made by patient themselves or doctors that not for ICU level of care if deteriorating as if became that sick would be highly unlikely to survive through invasive treatments of ICU anyway and would rather pass more peacefully.

Others admitted with Covid have relatively little or no oxygen requirements but are may be having fevers and rigors which could be from Covid-19 itself and need intravenous paracetamol and fluids to bring temperature down or could have developed secondary bacterial infections causing a fever so although oxygen levels okay need to be admitted for intravenous antibiotics.

Could be admitted with palpitations and/or chest pain due to strain on body of fighting off virus or a related myocarditis. Cardiac arrhythmia could be new or old but regular medications not controlling now.

Could be delirious. Up to a third of patients over 65 become confused and disoriented. Might be too weak to eat or drink or walk etc. Could be dehydrated and not able to stand or walk or take care of themselves. Some have had diarrhoea so need fluids etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

bb1234567 wrote: »
    A nurse in Waterford told me there has been a large outbreak in a non-Covid ward yesterday. So that may be contributing to the hospital increase

And a junior doctor told my sister that the numbers are all made up :rolleyes: as he works in a hospital that was supposed to have 30 covid patients but “they didn’t have any”. Of course she laps it up cos they’re a doctor. She was also told that unless you’re in a nursing home or going to house parties, you’re not getting it, so she’s now acting like that’s iron clad.

**** sake.

spookwoman wrote: »
    No epidemiology reports out yet and todays numbers include the missing days.

27-12-2020-p1.jpg
    27-12-2020-p2.jpg
    27-12-2020-p3.jpg
    27-12-2020-p4.jpg
    27-12-2020-p5.jpg
    27-12-2020-p6.jpg
    27-12-2020-p7.jpg

I can't see 50 new hopitalisations there, am I reading it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Bottom green Hub hospital data = 53

27-12-2020-p1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

fm wrote: »
    50 admitted because of covid?

Yes

I was looking in the wrong place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Was in town earlier today and yesterday, it was completely dead - non-essential retailers might actually stay open. Can’t see them becoming a danger in January.

Gyms unfortunately are my worry, January is busiest month for them. Seriously hope they don’t become a hot bed for transmissions

• Registered Users Posts: 14,159 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

spookwoman wrote: »
    Bottom green Hub hospital data = 53

27-12-2020-p1.jpg

Hospital patients have increased by 53, that's not the same as 50 new admissions in the past 24hrs. It's almost like they added 31 new admissions in the past 24hrs and also the 19 preceding that and got 50. Like 8am to 7:59am (instead of 8am) or as most of the data over Christmas, it's delayed or incomplete.
    Hub says 31 new admissions, not sure where the 50 came from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Hospital patients have increased by 53, that's not the same as 50 new admissions in the past 24hrs. It's almost like they added 31 new admissions in the past 24hrs and also the 19 preceding that and got 50. Like 8am to 7:59am (instead of 8am) or as most of the data over Christmas, it's delayed or incomplete.

The balance would be people that were already in hospital for other reasons, but now have COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    The balance would be people that were already in hospital for other reasons, but now have COVID.

Oh I know. And hospitals have few discharges over weekends so hospital figures always climb over the weekend. The phrase used was 50 new admissions, it should have been 31 new admissions or an additional 53 people being treated with covid in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭strawdog

Fair enough, am sure it's true that case numbers are higher in reality than today's figures, I just wish he'd give the save caveats when they are reported higher than the reality due to backlogs being thrown in

Wolf359f wrote: »

good chance as well that the person doing the report didn't update the sheet from the 24th which says as of 8am. The usual time is 2pm and its would not be the first time they didn't update something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Always_Running

6622 cases this week the highest weekly number since 7194 at the end of October.

At a guess the week ahead will likely produce 8 to 10,000 weekly cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭octsol

Is there a full cabinet meeting tuesday to discuss restrictions? I thought TDs were not back till the 13th when the dail reconvenes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

octsol wrote: »
    Is there a full cabinet meeting tuesday to discuss restrictions? I thought TDs were not back till the 13th when the dail reconvenes

I don't think a Cabinet meeting has been confirmed.

There's nothing particularly unusual about the Cabinet meeting outside Dáil sittings all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I can't understand people giving the HSE a free pass on the delayed vaccination yet crucify johnny down the road for having 2 cars in his drive. Its actually the first thing the HSE had to do with regards this vaccine besides actually receiving it and there is delays already. Inept useless organisation.

I don't think a Cabinet meeting has been confirmed.

There's nothing particularly unusual about the Cabinet meeting outside Dáil sittings all the same.

There is one tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Avoation1091

There is one tomorrow

Is it tomorrow instead?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement